Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 27, 2019 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
What is your favorite Disney or cartoon movie? Why?

For me: “The Princess and the Frog”
Reason- It warms my heart every time. The romance aspect isn’t cheesy, and the princess character (Tiana) has so much backbone to her. It inspires me every time to try harder and do more. One of the few cartoon movies that actually made me laugh. Along with The Simpson’s movie. They both make me feel so homey.
Sep 27, 2019 3:52 PM

Nov 2017
A Goofy Movie. I dead ass watch it at least once a week and it never fails to entertain me. The humour is on point, the characters are lovable (Max was definitely a relatable character to me when I was in high school) I enjoy the touching moments, and damn, the songs are godly

Sep 27, 2019 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
Starchaser said:
A Goofy Movie. I dead ass watch it at least once a week and it never fails to entertain me. The humour is on point, the characters are lovable (Max was definitely a relatable character to me when I was in high school) I enjoy the touching moments, and damn, the songs are godly

My gosh, such a great movie. I was just talking about it a day ago. So many childhood memories connected to that movie. Definitely up there in my top favorite movies.
Sep 27, 2019 7:17 PM

Dec 2015
I like that Disney movie, the one where the princess stands on a balcony and sings about how she dreams of "something more"
Sep 27, 2019 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
I like that Disney movie, the one where the princess stands on a balcony and sings about how she dreams of "something more"

Out of ALLLLLL the magnificent parts in the movie, you only think of that part...you disappoint meee...
Sep 27, 2019 8:51 PM

Aug 2015
Mulan! One of the first movies that showcased powerful women and not girls who act all cutesy waiting for their knight in shining armor to come and save them.
Sep 28, 2019 12:02 AM

Jun 2019
Aladdin - It's not what I would consider more objectively as the "best" of the Disney canon (that distinction would probably have to go to The Lion King), but it's my absolute personal favorite by far. Actually, it isn't only my favorite Disney movie, but my favorite animated movie period (yes, including anime!) and one of my favorite movies overall of all time (including all live action greats).

Why? Aladdin came out the year after I was born and I probably legitimately watched the VHS tape version 600 times. I'm also a big fan of the ones from around the same time period like Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid, but after more of the princess fairy tale-esque offerings, but it was more of an adventure story with a male protagonist. Love the music, all the characters and especially the main villain, the mythology around genies, and at 3 years old it was the most "exotic" thing I'd ever seen. I can still watch it an endless amount of times and never tire of it or pick it up from any random point and quote it verbatim.

Close second would be The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's probably my favorite of all the stories in any Disney movie, which makes sense since it's a take on Victor Hugo. With Aladdin, I also love the story, but it's bundled with a slice of nostalgia. With Hunchback, I don't have all that much nostalgia for it since I only saw it once in theaters (never owned it on video) when it came out in 1996 and don't think I saw it again until later in high school and only started watching it more since then.

The best soundtrack of them all and apart from the gargoyles' sequences, I appreciate how no fantasy was used in this film and it was kept (mostly) as a tragedy that would fit so well performed either as a play or a live action film. It's the Disney movie I most eagerly would love to see shot with live actors actually (and probably won't be included in this wave of live remakes since Disney's tried to bury its legacy with this one) and there are other adaptations of Hugo's novel from the 1930s and 80s which are also thrilling and deserve a watch. It's just a great story and the villain is a very human one - a judicial official (changed from a clerical official in the original) with obvious political aspirations and motivated by righteousness burns down a city. It has a sweeping score to match its ambition, you really feel the cathedral from the choir music to the well-animated stained glass windows, and it's one of Disney's most realistic settings.

Sep 28, 2019 1:26 AM

Oct 2018
Holes by far is my favorite Disney movie. A lot of pe people forget the make some bangers of live-action movies from time to time.
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Sep 28, 2019 2:50 AM

Jun 2016
Atlantis.

If I have to explain why, you've never seen it.
Sep 28, 2019 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
Since Pixar is a part of Disney too, here we go...

Mostly, I like newer ones much better than the old ones. I think, they are more fantastic and creative. There are so many different settings and ideas, I love them.
Although I really like some of the older Disney movies too, especially the movies with animal protagonists. I thought the older movies with animal protagonists are overall better than with human protagonists, since they often tend to fall into the "princess-movie"-schema.

Also I always had not only problems with the female, but also the male protagonists (or better to say love interests of the princesses) of older movies, because they were so idealized but most of them were kind of dehumanized as well and just the final goal for the female protagonists for most movies. Everyone expected me to be into them, I remember that at Cinderella, my mom and others asked me, if I like the prince, but I was like... but he has no personality at all and I don't like his looks!?

My Favorites

Inside Out
Think, this became my absolute favorite Disney movie after I rewatched it. The idea and execution is wonderful. There also were neurologists and psycholigsts for child development involved and I like the visuals for the different brain areas and development etc.
The end was absolutely beautiful emotionally and in a symbolic way. I love the mixed memory orbs there and how her former joyful memories turned into melancholic, sad ones.
Although its kind of unbelievable that you got your first sad or mixed core memory with 12, damn kid, you had a good life, good for you, but well... just a little detail.
Anyway, I bawled my eyes. Then I saw that scene on youtube again, klicked and in the first seconds *feeling wet eyes*: oh no, not again haha

Treasure Planet
My second favorite Disney (or Disney-Pixar) movie.
I love the setting there, steampunky and all, makes great visuals I'm really into. This types of settings are incredible.
Jim is the best (male) protagonist I've seen in a Disney movie, since he got a lot of development and he is far more human than others of the male main characters in Disney movies, imo. Also, I had a crush on him, I think. :D
I don't know, why this is so criminally underrated and why the studio seems to hate its own movie, or why didn't you make more advertisement for it.
Also, the OST is wonderful!

Lilo & Stitch
Had and has a lot of meaning to me in its messages to me and incredible quotes that inspired me and impressed me back then too.
The setting looks beautiful too and I read they put a lot of care into represent the Hawaiian natives not too stereotypical. And the music is so underrated yet so beautiful.
Also Stitch is super cute. I always wanted such a "dog". :D

Moana
Absolutely beautiful too. Again, Hawaian or Maori natives and legends from this culture. The setting is very beautiful and I love how the ocean is animated etc. It looks stunning.
Moana's own development was wonderfully shown and I just loved the whole movie, especially that one sad scene with her grandma.
It has such beautiful songs too and they have so good lyrics.

Others I really liked
- Aladdin: Liked the setting and Aladdin himself much more than male characters from other movies, also here the relationship with Jasmine was actually kinda cute in this.
- Beauty and the Beast: No, Bell doesn't have Stockholm Syndrome and no, she never tried to change him lol I liked the idea that he changed by himself to become a better person for her and when he put her needs above his, he turned back into a human. Felt more for it than for other couples.
- Atlantis: Was a wonderful setting too and I liked the characters and all.
- Brother Bear: I really liked that too, although I haven't seen it for a while.
- The Fox and the Hound: It's cute and I like foxes. That's about it. :D
- The Lion King: Have mixed feelings now, but really liked it, mainly just because cute baby lions and sad scenes.
- Aristocats: Because cute cats being cute cats.
removed-userSep 28, 2019 3:56 AM
Sep 28, 2019 4:09 AM

Aug 2015
The Princess and The Frog as well<3333 I agree it's very inspirational&beautiful. It definitely needs more recognition. I especially like that charming New Orleans jazz vibe through the film.

Other than that, I really like Tangled, which is also very funny. And The Little Mermaid, my forever fav love story.

Sep 28, 2019 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
Vorpality said:
Atlantis.

If I have to explain why, you've never seen it.

Such an awesome movie, takes you to another world. Definitely up there in my favorites. That’s a family favorite, all of them recall such good memories from that movie.
Sep 28, 2019 1:45 PM

Apr 2017
The Lion King (the original)

It's got so much power and soul. The music by Hans Zimmer and the songs are masterclass.
Sep 28, 2019 2:02 PM
May 2019
- Alice in Wonderland
- Cinderella
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
- Frozen
- Aladdin
- The Little Mermaid
Oct 2, 2019 6:05 PM

Jul 2013
Cartoon: Gargoyles or Aladdin The Series

Movie: Big Hero 6 and Dinosaur (the movie has better CGI than the 2019 Lion King movie and Dinosaur is 19 years old)
Oct 2, 2019 7:54 PM

Nov 2018
Ooo! This looks like fun.

For me its Monsters, Inc.
Manga is expensive af
Oct 2, 2019 8:59 PM

Nov 2008
Narrowing to one is hard...but let me try three. xD

The Great Mouse Detective It's SUPER underrated, nobody but Lindsey Ellis talks about it...but it's a damn good movie. I mostly like it for the protagonist, Basil. He's basically mouse Sherlock Holmes. xD

Hercules I really couldn't care less that it's "not the truth" OK, IT'S MYTHOLOGY lol. I love the animation, the characters, and especially the songs.

Tangled For the characters and cool story. Rapunzel is my favorite Princess and Eugene is my favorite human male Disney character.

Starchaser said:

GOOD TASTE. I freaking love this movie and the concert scene gives me CHILLS; it's so good. xD

Oct 2, 2019 9:00 PM

Feb 2019
My all-time favorite Disney movie would have to be "Emperors New Groove"
it's humor, writing and animation have stood the test of time to remain relevant to this day~

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Oct 2, 2019 10:17 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I legit cannot decide on an all-time favorite, but Aladdin and Mulan are some of my favorites that immediately come to mind.
I appreciate people mentioning Emperor's New Groove and A Goofy Movie on here as well, they're also some of my favorites. My sister loves the shit out of A Goofy Movie, too (probably more than me)—as soon as she found out that I found a DVD copy of it, she screamed and immediately wanted to watch it even though it was like 2 am lol
Oct 4, 2019 5:38 PM

Oct 2017
The Sword In The Stone.
The way the movie is structured and the way its setting is portrayed I find it really cool.

Yes, I do have nostalgia glasses on having watched the movie a thousand times on VHS when I was a kid but its such a whimsical progression for the main character Arther.

The ending just cuts really and you are supposed to interpret Arther's reign as King.

Merlin is endlessly enjoyable
Oct 6, 2019 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
hunchback of notre dame

mulan

treasure planet and inside out if that counts

also alice in wonderland
Oct 7, 2019 7:51 PM

Sep 2010
Mulan, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, and Emperor's New Groove
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 9, 2019 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
Pinocchio
Lion King
Toy Story
Finding Nemo
Mulan
Oct 10, 2019 8:11 AM

Apr 2011
Alice in Wonderland, it still holds up and is one of my favorite animated films. I actually grew to like it more as I got older, when I was little I liked it but I convinced myself it was girly(even though it was creepy af for a young kid).

I don’t consider Pixar to be classic disney, but Toy Story and Coco are favorites of mine as well. Are Nightmare Before Christmas and James in the Giant Peach Disney? They are great too.
Oct 13, 2019 7:57 AM
Aug 2019
Pocahontas(the animation was beautiful) and Tangled(i liked it's humour)
Oct 13, 2019 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
those movies suck, the ducktales, talespin and darkwing duck were the best thngs disny made
Oct 13, 2019 9:59 PM

Mar 2014
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind oh you meant actual Disney... uuh... The Iron Giant Wait that is Warner Brothers... I'm kinda struggling... Treasure Planet I guess.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Oct 15, 2019 1:05 PM

Aug 2014
The Lion King, no contest. (Not to be confused with the new one.)
Oct 15, 2019 1:11 PM

Dec 2015
Bible black albeit Mezzo forte was pretty great too
하나님
Oct 16, 2019 9:49 PM

Oct 2019
All Dogs Go to Heaven and The Great Mouse Detective, 'cause that shit really stuck with me as a kid. For better or for worse.

As for princess movies, I like Mulan and The Princess and the Frog, since they feature the best characters in my opinion.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Oct 18, 2019 11:57 AM

Mar 2017
My favorites:
Disney (animated in-house): The Lion King (1994), Zootopia
Pixar: The Incredibles
Mixed live action/animation: Mary Poppins
Live action: The Parent Trap (1961)

SchwingLeePiracy said:
All Dogs Go to Heaven ...

ADGtH wasn't a Disney film; it was by Don Bluth.
mwalimuOct 19, 2019 4:43 PM
A møøse once bit my sister...
Oct 18, 2019 7:05 PM

Oct 2019
Ah, shit, my bad. Shows how into Disney I am, I guess lol.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Oct 19, 2019 3:13 AM

Jul 2017
Not in order:

Inside Out - nice message about growing up and expressing emotions. first time a disney movie made me cry :(
Toy Story 4 - definitely the best animated one and a very touching story. surprised it didnt suck despite being the 3rd sequel.
Robin Hood (1973) - the og robin hood. this is more of a nostalgic kind of thing. i watched a taped version of it i got from my uncle. just a nice fairy tale i remember from my childhood
Oct 28, 2019 2:05 PM

Oct 2019
I don't think it's the best Disney movie, but I have a soft spot for Atlantis. It's a fun dieselpunk adventure movie that's a total blast to watch and some interesting ideas in it.
Nov 3, 2019 11:39 AM
May 2018
I'm not too much into disney myself (haven't watched a good part of the classics and the ones that i did were in childhood, so i don't remember well), but I love with all my heart Alice In Wonderland... the novel by Lewis Carroll, so easily the adaptation by disney is the movie by them that I like the most, great animation, direction, has a lot memorable moments, but they changed some parts of the original (but let's be honest, when disney didn't do this?), but overall you have a great movie. It isn't even my favorite AIW adaptation, that would be Neco Z Alenki or more known as Alice from 1988 (watch it if you like surrealist stuff, because more than a dream this one is more like a nightmare).
Fabrizio00Nov 3, 2019 11:49 AM

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
16 minutes ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Apr 23, 9:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.