Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
May 31, 2015 5:06 PM

May 2015
Sunohara x Tomoya perfffffect. I laughed through that entire sequence. I'm going to miss the ED in this one. Overall I think I would give this a strong 6 to light 7. It only really got goodafter episode 16. Everything before that was pretty rough. Hopefully the OVA will rejuvenate me because Tomoya x Tomoyo is where it's at.
Jun 29, 2015 3:54 PM
Feb 2015
Oh god I laughed so much when Okazaki was thinking about incest / gay stuff
Jul 6, 2015 8:31 AM

Jan 2014
This was hilarious XD and Mei is great :D

And that was such a cute ending awww :''3

Nagisa x Tomoya <3
Aug 24, 2015 2:35 AM

Mar 2015
Wooohh. I'm a fan of incest. Wooohh.

So Tomoya and Nagisa-chan are amateur to romance.
Sep 6, 2015 8:21 AM

Oct 2013
holy mother of ass this was just as much cringe as the first time I watched it. Still hilarious, but omg.

Still wish Tomoya ended up with Kotomi or Tomoyo.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 19, 2015 4:32 AM

Jul 2013
This wasn't a bad episode but it didn't feel like a good way to end the season. They should have just cut it short and end with the episode 22.

But anyways. My thoughts of the show are that in a sense it's god fucking awful but it's the sort of awful that can be still enjoyed if you manage to get into it.
Jan 1, 2016 11:07 PM

Oct 2013
That was so heart-warming
Feb 29, 2016 1:34 AM

Apr 2015
A really good episode. I like it.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Apr 2, 2016 6:47 PM

Nov 2013
Easily one of the worst shows I’ve seen in a while.

Characters are awful. All the female characters are the most generic archetype anime characters maybe ever made. They have no depth what so ever past a single word. Nice. Fights. Tsundere. Quirky. Shy. Shy again. Not only that but aside from 2 girls the entire female cast acts like they’re 5 years old. The worst one for this is easily Nagisa’s mother. She’s like 30 years old and acts like a sixth of it.

Because of the generic 2D characters that are impossible to feel bad for and because the series was created entirely because TEH FEELZ (I’m on the internet so I need to write it like that. God forbid I write like an adult), it goes for the cheap option. Instead of making you care for the characters it just throws every single sad trope it can at you. 13 was easily the worst for this, it’s what made me originally drop the series a couple years ago. “BUT WHAT IF YOU SAID YOU HATED YOUR PARENTS OVER SOMETHING STUPID AND THEN THEY DIED ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND THOSE WERE THE LAST THINGS YOU EVER SAID TO THEM AND WHAT IF NO ONE CAME TO YOUR BIRTHDAY AND WHAT IF YOUR HOUSE ALMOST BURNED DOWN AND WHAT IF YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND FORGOT ABOUT YOU AND WHAT IF YEARS LATER YOU FOUND OUT YOUR PARENTS GOT YOU A GIFT AND WHAT IF IT SOMEHOW MANAGED TO GET TO YOU AFTER TRAVELING THE ENTIRE PLANET WITH NO INDICATION OF WHAT COUNTRY IT BELONGS TO, LET ALONE THE PERSON? BUT WHAT IF WE HAD THE CHARACTERS CRY AND PLAY SAD MUSIC? ARE YOU CRYING YET? TEH FEELZ!” I have never felt less than during this show. You know what’s even worse about it? I’m dead center in the middle of a break up right now. I will never be more ready for a sad romance story. Somehow it fails to manipulate me emotionally while I’m at my weakest.

Fuko’s arc is the antithesis of everything good in the world. I like her character in small doses, I like her use after her arc where she shows up for 30 seconds every couple of episodes. Focusing 6 entire episodes on her though? There are no words for how much this arc annoyed me. Especially because there is nothing I care about less than her sister’s wedding. Especially since the end of the arc made the entire arc pointless. Thanks for waisting my time. You could have been considerate and made me forget about her too. Also, I can’t believe the song it ended on. It’s almost on the same level as Hajime no Ippo’s first opening when it comes to gibberish lyrics. You know you messed up when I’m laughing during the emotional climax of the arc.

Nagisa is the worst character in the show. And, of course, she’s the main girl. She’s the epitome of everything bad in the show. She’s a generic 2D archetype, she’s a moe blob, and she acts like she’s 5 years old because we need that purity. She has every single bad part of every character rolled into one character. Good job being bad in every way. I really hope the TEH FEELZ moments in Clannad: Afterstory don’t require me to care about her on any level. The only time she was mildly interesting was near the end when she had her soul crushed, and even that only lasted a couple minutes because god forbid we give our characters depth and development.

I really hate the magical elements in the series. I really hate that Fuko is a magic ghost. Especially since no one has any reaction to her existing. Is Japan really that wacky where you can see a dead person walking and be like “Man, my life sure is a Slice of Life?” No one ever is like “What? Why is there a ghost? What’s even real anymore?” and have a complete breakdown. Or anything interesting. I really hope magic never shows up for the rest of the series.

Even when the show isn’t awful it’s not good. Most of the episodes that didn’t have me grunt loudly in frustration were mildly entertaining at best with maybe a light chuckle or two. There were a couple episodes I liked like 23 and 4 before the magic sat in.

I really don’t know why the original series exists. Apparently almost none of the characters come back for the next one. What’s the point of this then? You don’t need to spend 23 episodes building up this awful relationship, Nagisa isn’t that deep.

2/10. I really hated this one. I really don’t see how anyone likes this show, unless your standards are so low your reaction is “Well, it was better than having my skin peeled off. 10/10 masterpiece.” And I don’t know how seemingly everyone on the MAL forums were incoherently sobbing after every single episode.

I’ll still watch Clannad: Afterstory at some point because I want to know why people have such strongly positive reactions to it. I’ll take a long break before that. I would rather eat an entire bottle of whiskey than see Nagisa for a while and just… Obliterate my insides with the glass. I’ll also watch the OVAs at some time. This series might be mildly better if it had a better leading woman. At least this show is finally dead and set on fire in a ditch somewhere. At least I can finally delete it and free the space it’s kept hostage for the last couple years.
May 14, 2016 4:21 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty hillarious chapter, I liked how they animated Mei's visit and even Tomoya's bad decision from the novel that led into this awkward date. Akio and Sanae were as good as always. I also like the reference from Tomoyo After (the repair car).

Also, the facial animation at the beginning was just pure greatness.

But... still no kiss? I really wonder how they want to pull Afterstory without that.
May 18, 2016 6:51 AM

Mar 2014
Its official . NagisaxTomoya are great couple ~ .. Nagisa is just too KAWAII <3 !!
Perfect episode for it had to be romantic ~ :D Commending the Sunoharas ~ .

A rainbow of feelings . Perhaps meaningful . That is how I describe "Clannad" .
One of the best Slice-of-Life anime of its era , given by an excellent character-driven story that will surely cause you to sympathize with the characters whether they're jabbing each other with hilarious jokes or being sentimental with how emotional the scenarios are .
More or less , It was surely delightful <3 !!
AnimeLaver01May 18, 2016 6:56 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2016 10:48 AM
Jan 2016
Wow, such a nice anime! The ending is very happy and funny, so good.
9/10.
Looking forward to After story!
Jun 21, 2016 10:37 PM

Sep 2015
Just finished this after putting it off for so long. It was an average romance and an average show in every way. It had it's good moments and some annoying moments but overall I liked it. Now onto the real juicy stuff which is After Story.

7/10
Aug 16, 2016 10:51 AM
Jul 2016
Not exactly sure why this episode was chosen to be the last one, episode 22 would've been a much better way to finish off the series.
Nov 30, 2016 6:29 AM
Nov 2016
I literally laughed my ass off when Nagisa just exhaled after eating the pastry and Tomoya be like "What"
Jan 10, 2017 2:14 PM
Jun 2015
I kinda expected them to kiss tbh..But not too shabby for an ending I guess..
Jan 21, 2017 12:24 PM

Jun 2015
Akio-san was the best thing in this show. I really loved his relationship with Sanae. I don't know if Nagisa and Tomoya will ever be this good.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 22, 2017 5:30 AM

May 2016
flaskis said:
I have only one thing to say. Is there any seiyuu that can say "onii-chan" in a cuter way than Tamura Yukari? <3
So damn true she is so cute.
Jun 15, 2017 4:32 AM

Apr 2014
That last scene hit me quite hard knowing what will happen later.
Aug 11, 2017 9:59 AM

Jul 2015
Nagisa is the cutest cinnamon roll, fantastic comedy episode to end this first season.

Now it's time to rewatch After Story, my body is not ready.
Dec 6, 2017 8:30 AM

Jul 2016
This show was pretty good, but it feels a bit... empty? I don't know, I don't feel satisfied, it's missing something. Like, it isn't trying to be anything in particular, it tries to be many things (drama, a romance, a comedy or a slice of life) but doesn't really excel at any of these. It's pretty emotional at times and the main characters and funny and colorful, but it needs some substance, you know?

7/10
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 10, 2018 3:56 PM
Feb 2017
I'm giving it 9 cuz Fuko arc.
Jan 14, 2018 11:03 PM

Jan 2014
HitSquare said:
This show was pretty good, but it feels a bit... empty? I don't know, I don't feel satisfied, it's missing something. Like, it isn't trying to be anything in particular, it tries to be many things (drama, a romance, a comedy or a slice of life) but doesn't really excel at any of these. It's pretty emotional at times and the main characters and funny and colorful, but it needs some substance, you know?

7/10

This is kind of how I'm feeling right now, but mainly because it doesn't feel like a complete story. And...well, it isn't. After Story exists. I'm getting the feeling that once I watch After Story, I'll feel better about what this season accomplished.

Right now, if I were to judge this season as a standalone series: I would say it's a 7/10 as well. It was an immensely enjoyable experience. It just feels like it needed something...more, to drive the whole thing home. To make it really memorable.

...and now, onto After Story. Which will hopefully bring this whole thing to the fully realized conclusion I feel like I'm missing.
Mar 8, 2018 7:14 AM

Jan 2014
that was actually better than what i feared. but still those anime eyes of clannad are creepy af
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Mar 21, 2018 7:05 PM
Jun 2017
Cute episode, its all about the date of Nagisa and tomoya... love it... ohh teenage days really is a memorable one. Hahaha...
Apr 12, 2018 11:41 PM
Dec 2017
Well I made it to the end, It was kinda tough getting through some of the earlier episodes. I personally like Fuko, but boy was her arc long, and sad. I think it was the longest arc of the season.

Is it just me, or did some of the character seem quite childish even though they were in High school? My favorite character was Nagisa dad, hands down one the best dads in anime. Sunohara really started to shine towards the end. To bad the rules of harem anime kept him from getting a girl. Speaking of harem anime, I think this series should be tagged as such.

I thought Tomoya was okay as the MC. The art was fine, It felt retro, they don't draw 'em like this anymore. In the end, I enjoyed Clannad. Looking forward to After Story. I give Clannad 1st season a 7/10.

I hope in After Story Fuko wakes up from her coma and they let Sunohara get a girl.
Aug 11, 2018 6:56 PM
Apr 2018
guulaash said:
that was actually better than what i feared. but still those anime eyes of clannad are creepy af
Yeah, one thing that used to keep me from watching this was their eyes. It took me a while to get used to them.

Also, Sunohara deserves a better ending. I ended up loving the guy.
SaiDrewAug 11, 2018 7:11 PM
Apr 3, 2019 7:33 AM
Oct 2018
I found the show overall a real mixed bag, there are parts where Tomoya helps out some of the girls overcome problems that I found truly heart warming, I can see this being a big influence for shows like Bunny Girl Senpai.

On the other hand though, when it turns into all the girls fancying Tomoya and Romance stuff I found it really quite average.

Overall a 7/10, it's good, but there are signs that it could have been amazing. If you enjoyed it more than me though I can understand how and I'm pleased for you :-)
May 8, 2019 12:25 PM

Aug 2017
Well, when I started watching Clannad I was sure the anime would end with tragedy. But this funny and happy note was just wholesome and I am glad it ended this way. Okazaki and Nagisa are in love and this was no surprise. It was just sweet and cute to see them confessing their feelings once more and I loved how they promised each other to never leave.

I didn't always know for sure what to think of Clannad, because it had a lot of twists and turns and some different characters and their (short) backstories, but it has been a wonderful journey nevertheless :)
Jul 25, 2019 3:00 PM
Apr 2016
Great aftermath of his confession. Sweet, comforting anime. Godtier animation. Overall, was rather fun.
Aug 22, 2019 4:59 AM

May 2018
Good to see them going in a lovely situation because we rarely sees it in the series so I am glad we have this episode. Tomoya's fantasizing is the fun part here along with Sunohara crying over his sister.

Sep 20, 2019 8:43 AM
Jan 2017
its quite fine fr drama and slice of life .. but i feel quite boring for this and the ending is ok tomoya and nagisa was doing tue date with help from sunohara sister.. 6/10
Feb 24, 2020 8:05 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, they really felt like not being creative and decided to re-use most of the jokes, uh?

Quite lame "epilogue", being honest. Seeing Nagisa and to some extent, Tomoya acting as if they were 12 years old was more frustrating rather than cute or sweet.
The overused jokes weren't funny either, especially the incest fantasy which was just... plain weird and unnecessary.

Overall and being honest, this has been a highly uninteresting season. All the arcs had some vestige of potential but unfortunately, none of them really held my full attention in the end.
Fuuko's arc was unnecessarily long and unclear, the ending of Kotomi's arc left a lot to be desired and the terrible decision of mixing Kyou's and Tomoyo's arcs into one just ended up in those episodes giving a really mediocre and lame harem atmosphere. Said eps. being easily the worst ones this series has offered.

5/10 - Mostly due to the fantastic production values and Tomoya as MC. Now, let's see what Tomoyo's OVA can offer despite her character being the least developed of the main girls.
Jun 10, 2020 11:06 AM

May 2020
I liked it but I wouldn't say it left me satisfied. Fun watch regardless. Nagisas parents never fail to crack me up!!
Jul 23, 2020 2:14 AM

Jan 2010
It's been ten years since I first started watching Clannad. I put it on hold early on, as I felt it was something special that I should save for either a special occasion, or when I had watched enough anime to really appreciate it. I still remember when episode 4 made me laugh until I cried, and it was episode 6 where I stopped watching to give myself time to grow as an anime viewer. Well, with the first season finally done, I can say my unreasonable expectations after a decade of waiting weren't exactly met, but I'm definitely glad I waited regardless.

Familial bonds are crucial to Clannad, hence the name. It definitely radiates galge, originating from its visual novel roots, as the character routes were extremely obvious. Story-wise, it felt like a long trek to get to Tomoya and Nagisa finally dating. In part, it's because it's apparent that she's the main route, and also because of various spoilers I've learned over the years. There were definitely a lot of in-between scenes meant for comedy and character building, at times feeling repetitive with scenes such as Sunohara bullying or Nagisa's parents' antics. They were funny, but I did notice such occurred a lot.

I don't know many things about Clannad, but I at least know a few events that occur toward the end. Other then those, I've remained surprisingly in the dark on everything else. Of what Key/Visual Arts anime I've seen so far, I'd definitely call Clannad my favorite overall if it continues with this current quality. The art and animation is as great as I'd expect from Kyoto Animation, with a special mention to the dream sequences being absolutely beautiful.

Visuals aside, I wasn't exactly blown away by the anime overall though, but that's, again, in part to my unreasonable expectations after a decade of being on hold. At the very least, I'm happy I can properly understand my feelings toward Clannad, and thus better understand how it got so popular. I feel like if I finished Clannad ten years ago, I probably would have called it one of my favorite anime, but now I feel it's similar enough to other things I've watched, so it doesn't seem as special as it could have been. Despite that, I enjoyed the first season nonetheless, and I'll wait until the end of After Story before I finalize my thoughts.
ShockedJul 23, 2020 2:24 AM
Sep 27, 2020 7:10 AM
Apr 2020
Can't wait to watch the movie. The humor on this series is top notch, so are the dramas
Oct 4, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2008
Mei is a dork...

I was expecting idk....something more for the finale, but then again the whole show was slow and subtle.

7/10
Oct 9, 2020 10:38 PM

Jun 2020
Love the ending the comedy was good, and pretty much the romance was wonderful as well, so I'm gonna go and try watching the ova one so I hope that it will be good.

So far this series has great romance, good comedy, and some pretty sad tragedy, so for me this anime has been a good one, so I'm gonna give it an 8/10 for me.
Nov 2, 2020 8:43 PM
Dec 2019
DON'T LEAVE THE MUFFIN GIRL DAMN that's so wasteful smh
Dec 13, 2020 7:14 AM

Dec 2018
This was a cute episode, though it's a bit bothering that Nagisa & Tomoya left the muffin on the bench. Hopefully they didn't abandon it intentionally. A solid 8 for this season. I feel bad for leaving the series on hold for over 2 years.
Dec 21, 2020 3:17 PM
Jul 2020
Was this the great Clannad everyone was losing their shit for? God this was torture. Hopefully AS, which everyone insists it to be "much better", will surpass this abomination.

5/10. And I am being generous here.
Dec 27, 2020 10:26 PM

May 2020
This was really cute!

6/10 since I didn't like every part of the story
Jan 5, 2021 6:52 PM
Oct 2020
YOOOO THIS EP GOT DIRTY INCEST AND GAY BROOOO
Jan 19, 2021 4:10 PM
Aug 2020
sooo cuteee I loved it <3
Feb 24, 2021 9:04 AM

Jan 2020
It took a month, and 1 day of binge watching the last 10 episodes.. but FINALLY I have finished one of the most boring, yet horribly written anime I've ever seen.

FYI: That date was super lame (and unentertaining).

Anyways, after watching these 23 episodes, I can finally say that
Clannad was a waste of my time. I came here with high expectations due to the 2nd season sky rocketing up to rank #13. But I was disappointed, like very disappointed. This was the Clannad everyone was talking about...?

3/10
3099Feb 24, 2021 9:53 AM
Mar 10, 2021 1:22 PM
Mar 2021
I liked the way it ended, I don't know if I'm going to watch the second season because I'm not really invested in any of the characters. And plus I can always look up reviews for what happened
Jun 17, 2021 8:17 AM
Mar 2021
I'm still sad thad kyou didn't get a super emotional arc and backstory but still great anime and I actually started liking nagisa
Nov 7, 2021 4:09 AM

Aug 2018
Kinda entertaining episode,but overall doesn't have or add much of an importance to the series, I think this episode doesn't change my final rating of Clannad since I feel like I've allready strongly decided it after seeing previous episode
Jan 17, 2022 9:26 PM

Jan 2016
7/10 show. Most stories didn't feel fleshed out (I am looking at Tomoyo in particular). Kyou and Ryou may as well have not even revealed they had a crush on Okazaki cuz that was not deeply explored. Some drama felt like it was put in there just for the sake of having something sad. IDK people were saying this was a great anime but it was not that good imo. Maybe AS will impress more. I hope Sunohara gets a happy ending.

Onto AS. I am interested enough since people say AS is even better than this. Hopefully it is. I won't watch the alternative Kyou and Tomoyo endings cuz I don't usually like watching alternate endings.
Sulfur2Jan 17, 2022 9:29 PM
Apr 18, 2022 12:00 AM

Dec 2021
That entire opening bit was super fucking cute. This whole episode was a great book-end to this anime, and I'm almost certainly going to watch the sequel. 9/10, it was near perfect.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

442 by Viipers7810 »»
Apr 5, 2:16 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KY791 - Feb 28, 2008

158 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 4, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tenjouname - Feb 15, 2008

304 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 4, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.