Forum Settings
Forums

What is your favorite and least favorite anime genre and why?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 8, 2019 9:15 AM

Dec 2015
I my favorite thing in the world is Shoujo AI + Slice of Life.
I wish we had more of those shows and I always become super happy when I find a new one.

Outside of that, Action, Shoujo, Romance and Slice of Life woud be my favorites.

Only thing I hate is Yaoi, it's the only thing I don't really want to watch. It's to much for me. BL is a nono

Oct 8, 2019 9:15 AM
May 2018
I don't have a favorite genre, but I never watch horror cause that shit ain't my style.
Oct 8, 2019 9:26 AM

Sep 2018
Favourite: Seinen, Psychological, Mystery (when executed right), Action, Thriller. No particular reason why, I just tend to find these kind of anime more interesting.

Least: Ecchi, Harem. I've never been a big fan of fan service, so centring a genre around it doesn't appeal to me at all.

As a side note, I've been wondering: Why does MAL count niche topics like "Cars" and "Vampire" as genres, yet doesn't count the much more popular "Isekai" as a genre?
Oct 8, 2019 12:11 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
salarx said:
Fario-P said:
I think it's pretty clear that I love the Magical Girl genre lol

Least favorite is Ecchi. Sorry guys, just not into that or hentai. I get really grossed and creeped out xD
I don't understand the appeal of it or Harems.

Could you be one of my people?
@Fario-P Magical Girl fan and no Cardcaptor Sakura on list? That's a real shock.

You mean be your friend? Maybe. :)

And wdym?? Cardcaptor Sakura is in both my anime list and my manga list. The original Cardcaptor Sakura manga is even one of my Favorite manga of all time (not to mention Sakura is in my signature atm).
I just put the series on-hold since I remember watching almost the whole series, but I don't remember how many episodes I watched and I'm pretty sure I never finished watching the whole thing. I didn't put the movies on my list yet, because it has been a long time since I saw either of the movies and I will put them on my list after I have re-watched them with a solid opinion.

Oh and if you like magical girl shows with a psychological side (like Madoka Magica ;) ), I suggest you watch Uta Kata! It's a lot like Madoka Magica and it's pretty underrated.
Oct 8, 2019 12:13 PM

Jan 2016
Fave: Fantasy
Its got so many different types of anime its a very good genre

Worst: Dementia
Fucking what m8 everytime I watch it
Oct 8, 2019 12:21 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Fave: Ecchi. Without question. Top of my MALGraph, top of my things I give a fuck about in anime, in general.

Worst: I don't fukin know. MALGraph says my lowest weighted score is mecha, but when I look at the mecha I've got it's mostly stuff I wouldn't even really consider legit mecha, because there aren't even any mechs, it's just those body suits. Date A Live, Infinite Stratos, Hundred. I don't associate that with mecha. And the amount of mecha with actual mechs I've seen is very few and I even liked a couple of 'em. So Iunno.

I think that the genre I tend to like the least is parody on a fundamental level, because parody isn't my type of comedy, so I'd probably go with that

Oct 8, 2019 2:57 PM

Aug 2016
Favorite: Thrillers bring out the intensity of the show and keeps me pumped

Least favorite: Given volume and amount watched, romance. Quite a huge portion of them are unnecessarily melodramatic and/or cringey to watch
Kid shows would be the worst if demographics counted. I would probably dislike any Shounen-Ai, Yaoi if having hardly a sample size is considered valid enough to be a least favorite genre.
Oct 8, 2019 3:34 PM
May 2019
Favorite: Psychological/Thrillers/Space/Yuri
Least Favorite: Sports
Oct 8, 2019 3:49 PM

Sep 2019
Favorite: Magical Girl. Defeating evil with love and justice!
Followed by Fantasy and Science Fiction stories with solid plots and complete stories. I like to see good plots.

Least Favorite: Sports. I'm just not a competitive person.
Followed by Ecchi. Ew.
Nov 27, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Favorite : Comedy, Yaoi, Shounen Ai, Shoujo, Reverse Harem, Music and Action (because I enjoyed them so much and they never got boring).

Least Favorite : Ecchi, Historical, Harem, and School (not my cup of tea).
removed-userNov 27, 2019 6:14 PM
Dec 1, 2019 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
Favorite: Dark fantasy, but rarely in the horror direction, although I don't mind, if it does as long as I think it is good. But less splatter-gore-like horror and more dark fantasy aspects are way better ro me.
I also like urban and high fantasy. It always depends on the story, characters etc. so
And well, my favorite demographics are still battle shounen, although I haven't seen Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail and Seven deadly sins and I never liked Dragonball.
Other genres like romances, sol drama, sports etc are even more a hit or miss, but I like some drama and some romances. I'm unfortunately very picky with this stuff.

Least favorite genre: Ecchi, harem and revese harem, most Isekai I think, everything that is over the top sexualized, although I like some decent sex scenes and themes about sex, but not the typical ecchis, yaoi, yuri etc.
Also I don't like most comedy and most sport anime won't catch my interest.
Dec 1, 2019 1:43 PM

Mar 2019
Genres are but the trifles of the lesser man; a superior man such as I cares not for your arbitrary social conventions.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Dec 1, 2019 1:45 PM
Apr 2016
Most favoured is science-fiction because it almost always brings matters for the viewer to discuss or ponder.

Least favoured: Slice-of-life? They tend to be overly childish this age, and some of them stoop down to hollow enjoyment, instead of being interesting or well-written.
Re:formed
Dec 1, 2019 1:53 PM

Aug 2018
Fav: Seinen, because I think that generally they have better story, characters and action scenes than most shows.
Less fav: CGDCT, because I feel them pointless, boring, with no plot and bland AF characters.

thepath said:
Sport (with some super power effects like Kuroko's basket and Captain Tsubasa)
Realistic sport (Days, Major, Baby steps)
I just hate you because of this quote...
Dec 1, 2019 2:02 PM

Oct 2017
Favourite: Military (I like war dramas) or Historical (I am huge history buff.

Least Favourite: Harem (unless it's an actual true harem ending) though to be honest I am pretty much up for almost anything. There isn't a genre I would actively avoid.
BilboBaggins365Dec 1, 2019 2:07 PM
Dec 1, 2019 2:08 PM

Nov 2010
Favorite: Seinen, mystery, psychological, thriller

Least favorite: harem, ecchi, horror

My favorites give quite clear picture of what kind of shows i like. I do like to balance it out with more wholesome and laidback stuff though. I'm mostly quite omnivorous what comes to anime.

I avoid harem's most, cause love triangles get me tired so adding more people to that is even more exchausting. Ecchi usually isn't either sexy or funny, it's cringy. Haven't seen goood horrors rly, well the Promised Neverland was good but I found it more of thriller.
Dec 1, 2019 2:22 PM

Jul 2016
Favourite-Much harder to define for me.Judging by my favourite anime it would probably be anime such as one piece(action,comedy,adventure,Super Power, Drama, Fantasy, Shounen)which have a little bit of everything.But i have also recently taken a liking to yaoi,so that counts as well.I guess i base the animes i like less on genre and more on specific elements that i am looking for,such as type of mc,premise etc.which is why i have a harder time pinpointing what type of anime i tend to gravitate to.
Least favourite-
Horror-Dark,depressing content with no substance.If i was going to watch something with no substance, i would much rather watch something that makes me happy,rather than worsen my mood.Also,shock value for the sake of it,and plenty of gore both things that i would much rather not seek out.
Historical/Military-I´m alreaaady so bored from history in real life,i don´t need more in anime.
Iyashikei-If i wanted to fall asleep i wouldn´t watch anime to do it,i watch it to be engaged and entertained.

SummerynDec 1, 2019 2:30 PM
Dec 1, 2019 3:02 PM

Dec 2018
Favourite: fantasy. It allows for great adventures and world building without our real life limitations

Least favourite: shounen ai. I can't bear to watch it.
Oregairu is life
Dec 1, 2019 3:08 PM

Dec 2017
Favorite - Comedy, it can easily be used with other genres to make a quality watch

Least Favorite - Mecha, feels like they throw a bunch of information at your face from all sides without any real explanation.
Dec 1, 2019 3:18 PM

Nov 2019
Favourites are iyashikei and shoujo. Makes me feel like at least all is alright in some universe somewhere. Watch while drinking a nice herbal tea.

Seinen for exciting stories. My microwave popcorn with a glass of Coke anime.

Can't really tolerate shounen.

Mixed feelings with ecchi. If it's making me laugh, then good. If it's just a blatant and empty attempt to induce arousal, then not so good.

Dec 1, 2019 3:40 PM

Mar 2018
Favorite: I loooove weird, slow mystery thrillers. A little comedy is okay, but if it's bone dry and no laughs to be had? I'm not mad. I've also been getting super into like... mid-late 2000s shoujo comedy romance? It's the opposite of what I though I'd like, but!! I'm having a fun time. (Drama's also another one I like, but I feel like there needs to be a subgenre tacked onto it as well. Straight Up Dramas can be hit or miss)

Least favorite: I really don't like slice of life series. I've never seen one where I don't get super bored or angry at the characters, which is frustrating. I want to like these series, but.... Man, They Aren't My Kind Of Jam.
Dec 1, 2019 4:43 PM

Jun 2019
Maneki-Mew said:
Favorite: Dark fantasy, but rarely in the horror direction, although I don't mind, if it does as long as I think it is good. But less splatter-gore-like horror and more dark fantasy aspects are way better to me.

Are there any good examples in your mind you'd care to share? I'm always looking for more quality dark fantasy, but either there's a lack of it, I'm looking in the wrong places, or both.

KomaDoll said:
Haven't seen goood horrors rly

Watch Shiki and Petshop of Horrors, as well as Higurashi season 1 (Second season is more of a thriller and the story taken as a whole has to be seen as a thriller, but season one is very heavy on horror of dementia variety - psychological horror and body horror).
WatchTillTandavaDec 1, 2019 4:53 PM
Dec 1, 2019 5:16 PM

Jan 2019
Favorite: Psychological. I love to see how different characters think and how they interact with others. I also love Gore. Blood splattering everywhere is always a sign of action and suspense, which I love.

Least Favorite: Mecha. I hate Mecha Animes because usually they are boring as heck. Only Mecha Anime I can say I actually liked you may have already guessed iiiisss

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 8 minutes ago

3 by Daviljoe193 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

17 by VanVeleca »»
16 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

69 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
19 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 1 hour ago

15 by Lhundrup »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot?

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

45 by L0bsterman »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.