Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2019 9:46 AM

Feb 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Timeskip this long is the last thing I expected to happen. I really hope we get to see what happened in those two years of timeskip in form of a long flashback arc. If we don't get it somehow, then I'd be severely disappointed of being robbed of seeing Thofinn's travels through Rus and in Eastern Roman Empire (assuming trip went as planned), especially considering how long Baltic Sea War arc was.

Anyway, this chapter felt really short as always. Thorfinn's new look is great.
TsarkoSep 25, 2019 10:08 AM
Sep 25, 2019 10:36 AM
Sep 2019
Surprised about the time skip. I had Hoped to see the whole eurotrip. The relationship of the group and the people who could have joined them during the time with the dream to start a new life at Vinland. Will see what happens next.
Sep 25, 2019 10:39 AM

May 2015
he has new scars..
Sep 25, 2019 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
That time skip was quite unexpected
Sep 25, 2019 11:01 AM

Feb 2014
Ylva with the battle ready pose to defend was the best thing to happen over the years. XD
You go girl!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 25, 2019 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
Wow Thorfinn looks so badass in this panel

Yalva looked so freaking awesome in that panel,warrior girl,i am pretty sure she is even more dangerous than Thorfinn himself. (laughs out loud)

I never expected that we will see a timeskip but anyway want to see what Thorfinn did in last 2 years.Gudrid and Thorfinn looks so cute together.Great couple.

I bet they will go on a journey soon.
Arjuna777Sep 25, 2019 11:53 AM

Sep 25, 2019 12:28 PM
Mar 2015
Sigurd departs and Thorfinn comes home
Sep 25, 2019 12:33 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, I did not expect a timeskip - was really looking forward to Miklagard and the Varangian Guard :(

In any case, this is interesting. I wonder why you'd do that at this point of the story.
NidhoeggrSep 25, 2019 11:59 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 26, 2019 12:46 AM

Dec 2018
Its a good way for Yukimura to not be bothered by the research about Kiev Rus and Bizantine Empire. As much as I whanted 50 chapters about going down Dnieper and trading.
Sep 26, 2019 3:47 AM
Mar 2018
Damn, I was really hoping to see Istanbul, or Constantinople in this manga. Yukimura better tell all the things about the journey.
Sep 26, 2019 3:51 AM

May 2015
skipping trading subquest is always good,i prefer few flasbacks.
Sep 26, 2019 6:51 AM

Feb 2019
I liked this chapter. From all the characters after the Farm arc. Sigurd is my favorite. Really liked how he found his resolve.

Thorfinn is back baby! I like his new design.

This chapter was a nice conclusion for Sigurds development and a nice build up for next arc.
Sep 26, 2019 7:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Chunchunmaru3 said:
Damn, I was really hoping to see Istanbul, or Constantinople in this manga. Yukimura better tell all the things about the journey.

Me too. I was looking forward to seeing Thorfinn kicking butt through Russia and all the way down to the Byzantine empire, but I guess Yukimura didn't want to go through all that. Maybe we get a flashback chapter or two?

This puts the Vinland trip right on the front burner now. He pays Halfdan and is clear to go almost. He even has a fleet
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 26, 2019 9:05 AM
Sep 2017
I wanted to see Miklagard and theodosian walls, really I am dissapointed but at the same time I am really excited about what comes next.
Sep 26, 2019 9:37 AM
Jul 2009
Cant wait for thorfinn to introduce gudrid to his family
Sep 26, 2019 9:53 AM

Aug 2016
Agree on the timeskip thing. If those 2 years are about his traveling yet we dont see sh*t about them and we go directly to Vinland it would be a massive dissapointment. It could even get out of my top 10 manga. All that thing could easily call for at least a 5 volumes arc. Cant wait for Bug eyes to vandalize Hagia Sophia. Im also concerned about Canute, Id like to know if hes gonna do something about Thorfinn coming to America and become the first ilegal inmigr... I mean, the father of european colonization in the new World.
MichaelJacksonSep 26, 2019 10:16 AM
:v
Sep 26, 2019 10:22 AM

Sep 2014
I was surprised with the timeskip but as long as we see what happened in flashbacks during that time I'm fine with this. Thorfinn's hair looks good though I'm like "eh" with his new scars. Ylva's part was hilarious too. That woman is by far the manliest person in the village.
Sep 26, 2019 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty sure there will be a flashback arc anyway, and this means that the manga isn't far off from ending because not much left to cover from now.
Sep 26, 2019 12:17 PM

Dec 2016
gudrid clinging onto thorfinn’s back ticked me off - what happened to her being strong and confident?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 26, 2019 1:11 PM

Dec 2015
photophobic said:
gudrid clinging onto thorfinn’s back ticked me off - what happened to her being strong and confident?
photophobic said:

It's most likely the prelude to next chapter where we find out that they've married or something
Sep 26, 2019 11:23 PM
Jan 2019
photophobic said:

Wth what's wrong with people cling onto each other while some arrow just shot right up to them... At least she held herself shield

Just noticing but Thorfinn's cape in this chap seemed to be Hild's.. No?
nancevvSep 26, 2019 11:27 PM
Sep 29, 2019 12:05 PM

Sep 2018
Good way to dodge doing research, i don't mind it really, better to go the save way instead fucking it up.

I hope we at least get some flashbacks and it looks like we will since it say "next issue Thorfinn shows the fruits of the last 2 years."

Sep 30, 2019 9:36 AM

Apr 2018
I prefer this timeskip. I don't want to wait for another 10 years for thorfinn to reach vinland :/
Oct 2, 2019 2:23 PM
Oct 2018
A bit sad that we didn't see Byzantium (yet?) but I'm actually also really happy he finally comes home...and with gudrid!
Nov 4, 2019 5:55 PM

May 2015
Finally caught up... Have to say, I'm a little disappointed. The series started so brightly and was a thrill until Askelaad's death. The farm arc, though poorly paced, was solid overall. I thought the characters were interesting and Thorfinn's development was nice to experience first-hand. This 3rd main saga, however, was horrible in my eyes. It felt like it was written by a different person; it was just so bland. Thorkell reduced solely to comedic relief, Garm was as generic as can be - just an awful character, Sigurd and his gang of goons being thrown around everywhere like they're the Team Rocket of VS, and an overall anti-climactic use of the JomsV plotline... Hope the series gets back on track with what's to come. Not sure how I feel about a two-year timeskip but maybe that's what the manga needed.

Blah. Needed to get that off my chest.
Nov 4, 2019 7:39 PM

May 2015
the baltic arc is a costant parallelism to the first arc,we see how much thorfinn grew and his new ideals are tested,we see how thorfinn struggle with his anger.
For me it has the peak of vinland saga and all the message that the author wanted to tell are in this arc
this

and this

this is the peak of all vinland saga for me. Plus Sigurd character development that is great.
Garm most likely is autistic,he's an interesting character,he does nothing with malice, he's pure and innocent.
Thorkell was always used as comedic relief.
nanashi796Nov 4, 2019 7:47 PM
Dec 12, 2019 6:44 AM

Nov 2016
Ylva in panic :D

I'm kinda disappointed that we haven't seen more of this journey, but hey, at least they will go on their "real" journey sooner than expected.

Thorfinn and Gudrid are looking good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 2, 2020 2:41 AM

Nov 2011
I-want-to-see-Constantinople-!!!
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 3, 2020 12:04 PM

Feb 2011
So after spending 40 chapters on a war that to me felt pretty pointless as Thorfinn wanted nothing to do with it and had nothing to gain from it other than avenging his father's death which he obviously doesn't want due to his pacifist nature now the author skips Thorfinn's entire travel to Greece, which is basically the whole point of this manga and the thing I was most looking forward to. Golden Kamuy handled the traveling aspect much better so far.
Mar 26, 2020 5:46 AM

Feb 2011
1Kyo said:
Yukimura skipped what would have been the most unnecessary and one of the longest story arcs in VS. The Baltic War Arc was necessary for the story, the rest of the travel not really. It would enrichen the worldbuilding of VS, but not contribute to the overall story. It would be a cool extra, but do we really need to spend 3-5 years with "cool extras"?

I'm glad we're heading to what's really important now.
Hatsuyuki said:
So after spending 40 chapters on a war that to me felt pretty pointless as Thorfinn wanted nothing to do with it and had nothing to gain from it other than avenging his father's death which he obviously doesn't want due to his pacifist nature now the author skips Thorfinn's entire travel to Greece, which is basically the whole point of this manga and the thing I was most looking forward to. Golden Kamuy handled the traveling aspect much better so far.

How was the travel to Greece the entire point to the manga? lmao.

When the travel to Greece was revealed, it was pretty obvious from the beginning that the entire point of the arc would be to have Thorfinn confront his past. That's what the Baltic War arc did.

Thorffin is an explorer, one of the main themes of this manga is traveling/exploring. I wanted to see that journey, the world at the time and the character interactions alomg the way. Instead we get based and wokepilled trans arc.
Mar 24, 2021 11:02 AM
Jun 2017
Timeskip wasted what could've been valuable development for characters and a new interesting storyline. Missed opportunity smh.
Jul 17, 2021 7:36 PM
Apr 2020
I get that the story is supposed to be more focused on the main theme, but I'm disappointed in that time skip. I was really looking forward to Thorfinn and everyone's journey through Europe, and how they would handle all of the possible challenges they would face.
Jul 25, 2021 10:40 AM
Jan 2021
I think transitions from one arc to another is always a complicated thing to do, and in Vinland these are pretty bad.
This timeskip annoyed me, and even more now, than I know that we didn't get any real flashbacks or anything. But oh, well what can we do.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Jul 25, 2021 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
It was an amazing chapter.
Apr 5, 2022 10:16 AM

Jan 2009
2 years time skip and Thorfinn and the gang are back in Iceland
Nov 9, 2022 4:21 PM
May 2021
oh my god, people said that eastern expedition/ Baltic sea war arc was the worse one in the series so i wasnt expecting much but id argue that it might be the best, so fucking peak, every character in this arc is peak, hild the goat, gudrid the goat, thorfinn the goat, thorkell the goat, einar the goat, leif the goat, full eyes the goat, sigurd, a character i didnt like at first ended up coming in clutch and developing so hard, he really earned goat status, i dont wanna hear any more eastern expedition slander
Jan 29, 2023 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
why it gotta be a timeskip i wanted to see the adventure to greece 
Jan 16, 2:40 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
two years and Thorfin returns to home!!!
kekeke

More topics from this board

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Yesterday, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.