Forum Settings
Forums

Is there any anime/manga in your favorites you don't find that good anymore, as you used to?

Sep 22, 7:00 AM

Is there any anime in your favorites, that are in there for a longer time, that you used to like very much, and thought they were (nearly) perfect, but now you actually admit they aren't that good?

For me, it's SAO.
It's in my favorites, and when I'd watched it, I liked it a lot, I even re-watched the entire series once, and I thought it was perfect. But now it's been like half a year since I saw it, and I do admit it has many flaws, and it's not nearly as good as I thought back then, but it's still one of the best anime I've watched/one I've enjoyed the most, so it still deserves a spot on my favorite list(for now).
Modified by -Aincrad-, Sep 22, 7:05 AM
People on MAL in a nutshell

Sep 22, 7:01 AM

Spice and Wolf. Boring and the only good and interesting thing about itvis Holo the wise Waifu.

▲ ▲

«REVs»
«NP Games»
«Male/Female»
«Favorites (+Awards)»
"Shadow and Light are two sides of the same coin."

Sep 22, 7:02 AM

If I don't find it as good anymore then it won't stay in my favorites..

Sep 22, 7:03 AM

Mirai Nikki

Was my 3rd(?) or so anime since I started watching anime again. Lost my mind over it. But once I reached 200 or so anime I realised it's pretty damn bad and generic. Weirdly enough, I met several people who feel the same way.

Sep 22, 7:03 AM

Zankyou no Terror. First time I watched it I was blown away by how good it is. Rewatched like a few weeks ago and saw that it isn't what I thought of it before.

“Dream - The first thing people abandon when they come to understand how this world works.”

Sep 22, 7:07 AM

Gythia said:

I personally only remove an anime from my favourites, if I'd found something better, that I think must be on my favourite list.

Then after thinking for a while, I choose the one from my list that needs to go, and add the new one.

I've already done this a few times.

Although my current list consists of anime that I couldn't possibly choose a single one to remove from.
Modified by -Aincrad-, Sep 22, 7:12 AM
People on MAL in a nutshell

Sep 22, 7:11 AM

yeah then they get removed and replaced. happened to me and gosick

Sep 22, 7:11 AM
Well, if you start disliking even your favorites, it's probably means you're being bored with the medium itself.

I don't think so. While i haven't rewatched any of my all time favorites lately i certainly know that they won't be bad but i do have a feeling if i rewatch e'm i might like them less than i did.

Like, if i rewatch Your Lie In April now there's a possibility i might even dislike Kaori for being selfish and so on but it's like a hit or miss in this case i'll probably cry as well so...

Sep 22, 7:23 AM
The only one I would say is naruto for manga, everything else in my favs are still that.

Sep 22, 8:12 AM

Gythia said:
exactly what i was about to comment and thought was the obvious thing that people did

Sep 22, 8:14 AM

I had Made in Abyss as a 10 but I rewatched it and dropped the score to a 9. It fell a few spots in my favourites too.

Sep 22, 8:17 AM
Never happend to me.

That is also the reason there are like 50 anime in my Top 5

Sep 22, 8:25 AM

well, nope. all my favorites still good and its even get better
everyday, we stray further from god

Sep 22, 10:15 AM

Haven't rewatched it yet, but Byousoku 5cm will probably be taken off my favs and rated down.
Monogatari series I still haven't finished, but I don't remember all that much from Bake. I'll figure out hat to do with it once I eventually rewatch it, or run out of fav's slot.

The others are here to stay. Will probably add a Lupin entry to the list, and maybe some 9s/8s.

Modified by Aemnesias, Sep 22, 10:19 AM

Sep 22, 10:21 AM

Fairy Tail, I guess. Back when I started the series and I was 16 it was my jam and one of my absolute favourites, but as the series progressed, it got worse and worse, and, suffice to say, it left my favourtie list time ago. That's the only example I can think on, I still like the rest of my favourites as much as I liked them when I started them.

Sep 22, 11:53 AM

While the title is basicially a contradiction in itself, if i dont like a favorite as much as i used to it is not a favortie anymore....and this happens alot since the more i think or rewatch the show the more i notice flaws, while only some shows are hit with that "the more you think about it the worse it gets" thing, for me those shows won't get a place in my favorites list since its a place for "special" shows.

Shows that i got kicked from my favorite list recently would be:

- Koe no Katachi, while i still love the movie to death from a emotional standpoint i can't ignore how much ive grown to dislike Shouko's Charcater

- Toradora!, well the ending is pretty awful

- Clannad After Story, after some very manly tears and after the 2. rewatch i came to the conclusion that the story as a whole is pretty shit, no not the family SoL part but the Supernatural, its never explored or explained to the full extend and while the end sticked with the themes of the show, it felt extremely unearned after my second rewatch.

I still like those shows but not as much as i used to and thats why they will never eveour appear on my favorite list again

Sep 22, 12:12 PM
Dragon Ball Z, it was like a rollercoster once the fighting died down it just got boring. There was no world building in Z I could care less about the characters or the steaks because dying really mean anything in that series.
Modified by Kamihimehunter, Sep 22, 9:49 PM

Sep 22, 12:12 PM
Forum Moderator
I suppose Magi, which got pretty meh in the last arc and it affected my opinion as well as Rain which also got a bit meh over time.

Sep 22, 9:46 PM
God of Harem

Not in my favourites but I'm unsure of anime I've watched in the past. I liked it during that time but thinking back on it idk if I would like it if I rewatched the series. + My preferences have 100% changed from years ago.

Sep 22, 10:02 PM
aidoru material

the only one being jojo part 5
added it as a fav just for the hype
my passion for it isn't long lasting

Sep 22, 10:31 PM

Gythia said:

Exactly. I just remove it from my favorites in case I find an anime that I thought was better.

But if I do have to make an answer, I guess Konosuba wasn't that really great as I used to think. There might be a chance I might switch it to another show. At the same time however, it kinda made a huge impact to me as an anime fan so it might have potential to stay in my favorites.
"Allow me to teach you something useful."
My Top 15 Japanese Cartoons

Sep 22, 10:33 PM

Definitely the 90s Sailor Moon. It is nothing compared to the manga.
I only have it up as Favorites as a temporary slot....... or maybe because I still bother to re-watch all 200 eps every now and then lol

Sep 22, 10:47 PM

I've had favorites that eventually ended up not being considered as a favorite anymore but never to the point that I look back on it and find it bad, just like above average.

Sep 23, 12:01 AM
I've forgotten what it was that made me like Zetsuen no Tempest so much.

Sep 24, 4:12 AM
Well, Seven Deadly Sins. When I first watched it I thought it was good. But after I re-watched it after watching more good anime I realised it wasnt that good.

Sep 24, 4:59 AM

I removed One Piece from my favs and reduced its score from 10 to 7 after the time skip. It's not because I hate it or I discovered "flaws", I just don't like what happens after the war, it's like it's not OP anymore, it's another anime. East Blue Saga was one piece at its best, now it's just some mediocre stuff.

@mullerio_ I'm curios what you dislike about nishimiya. The manga and anime already confused us with her personality because we didn't get to know her inner thoughts, and of course, that tragic scene came kinda out of the blue. I think she's just a shy girl with societal issues, I mean, she can't talk or hear, or talk with her mother and there's no father in the family.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Sep 24, 5:03 AM

No, they got replaced by new favorites.

Sep 24, 5:10 AM

Not in my top 25 for sure.

I consider everything over 8 (and some 7s) to be favorites of mine, so I have around 70 so far. Admittedly I think I need to rewatch a few I watched early on, like Monster or Mawaru Penguindrum. Odds are I still like them but as 6-7s. Some other shows I found decent the first time like Steins Gate I even dislike them nowadays. I wasn't acquainted with some very annoying elements of the story and characters yet, and even the character designs seem quite ugly upon rewatching.

Sep 24, 5:12 AM

Monogatari was kicked out of my favorites for this reason, it didn't survived time to me
"I'm alright, because
The warmth on my back
Is from you, protecting me
My bent heart is being straightened out
I feel like I can keep on walking when I see your face
That time, I was able to gather my wishes and jump up
because of your words of encouragement"

Hanamaru◎Andante - Pastel✽Palettes

Sep 24, 5:12 AM

No in my case since I arrive on mal a bit late. So by the time I had made this account I know exactly what anime to list as my favorite.

Sep 24, 5:15 AM

None, because my favorites are revisited and groomed every few weeks. Same for ratings. Nothing is chiseled in stone here, my shit taste keeps developing.

Sep 24, 5:30 AM

Favorites serve more as a guide for the best representatives of the kind of series I like instead of specific titles and brands

Sep 24, 7:28 AM

@Catalano

While i still like the movie ive gotten pretty annoying by how naive she is and how she just feels like shallow Character, at least compared to Shouya, i wouldve liked her but the lack of insight and understanding of her Character made the movie drop from a low 9 to a low 8, its still in my top 30 or something but not the best of the best anymore

Sep 24, 7:34 AM

Most of my favorites are there to show that I love a franchise in particular so it's not that simple. I don't think it will change soon though. :p

Sep 24, 7:34 AM

@mullerio_ well, it's understandable, can't argue with your prefferences and she really was too naive. I wanted a more clear resolution with shouya's ex friends and I wanted kawai to suffer a bit but it ended so I left it there and moved on.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Sep 24, 7:51 AM

Season-wise, my perception on my favorites have not changed with or without rewatching.

During most of my tenure, favorites were based on weighted average of all entries that encompassed the franchise (with some conditions like alternative versions). So I can still highly appreciate one season of a franchise in comparison to the other franchises, but if the sequels/prequels were a significant drop in quality, then I would have to remove them as favorites to allow another franchise with a better overall score to take its place. Most recent example would have been One Punch Man S1 vs S2.

Now, it's kind of a blend factoring peak, volume, overall weighted score while it represents the franchise.

Sep 26, 1:04 PM
Only series that comes to mind is K project. It didn’t become bad to me, I lost interest.

Sep 26, 1:30 PM

Katekyo Hitman Reborn. I still love it and it's one of the anime I watched when I was still quite new to anime and I was really really into it, so it just can't not be on my favorite list. But it's not that good.

Oct 8, 7:08 PM

I'm pretty sure Naruto is hanging on in my favorites from sheer nostalgia blinders alone. It was my first anime other than Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! and I dedicated years of my childhood to (re)watching it, (re)reading it, and making friends over it. I still love it, but after having developed as an anime viewer, I'm much more aware of what a well-crafted plot actually looks like, what a storyline without innumerable plotholes looks like, and what three dimensional characters look like. It hurts to say, but yeah, it's not nearly as good in my eyes as it used to be.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?

Oct 8, 7:12 PM
I'm Blue

None of my favorites are "good" but I still like them.

...Except for FMA and Perfect Blue. Those are still "good". Rest of 'em, eh. Haters gonna hate.

Oct 8, 7:30 PM

yeah, SNK for example. i got bored of the manga.

Oct 8, 8:30 PM

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Is possibly the most passionate anime I have seen: aesthetically it's unique and keeps evolving, it is hilariously bizarre, the fights are the most intelligent I've seen in shounen action anime, the characters are all fun without coming off as quirky (for the most part).
Yet I came to a realization by the time I started watching Part 3 that it lacks depth: almost every character action, every dialogue, revolves around the fights. There's no sense of downtime where we get an idea of the characters' internal conflicts. There's no character development (even if there are character backstories). The characters have almost no chemistry, because all their dialogue revolves around the individual conflict in every episode. The stories of each part focus so much on fights, that there's almost no complexity or depth to the stories, if that makes sense.
I gave Part 5 an 8, the lowest score I've given to any anime Jojo part, and it pains me to say, that if I rewatch this series, I may end up taking it off my favorites list, or at least, put it at the bottom.
Thankfully, Parts 7 & 8 have more complex characters and stories, but they still suffer a lot from the problems I mentioned.

Konosuba
As much as I love this series, let's be real here, it's kind of a one trick pony. Each joke revolves around the characters' primary quirks, for the most part. Still, I find this series hilarious for how it tackles the characters' quirkiness in a different way each time. However, Konosuba's characters and story don't have any depth or complexity. Yes, I understand that it's a comedy, but so what? Naruto, One Piece, are comedies, yet have far more character and story depth and development.

SchwingLeePiracy said:
I'm pretty sure Naruto is hanging on in my favorites from sheer nostalgia blinders alone. It was my first anime other than Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! and I dedicated years of my childhood to (re)watching it, (re)reading it, and making friends over it. I still love it, but after having developed as an anime viewer, I'm much more aware of what a well-crafted plot actually looks like, what a storyline without innumerable plotholes looks like, and what three dimensional characters look like. It hurts to say, but yeah, it's not nearly as good in my eyes as it used to be.

I think one of Naruto's strongest points has always been the characters. Almost every character has a backstory, and they change. For example, I never understood why people hate Sakura so much when she developed from a whiny, bratty, useless kid, to a much more mature, level-headed, useful character.

MAYOII said:
the only one being jojo part 5
added it as a fav just for the hype
my passion for it isn't long lasting

What did you think of the previous parts of Jojo?
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Oct 8, 8:34 PM

I took Madoka off of my favorites list because upon rewatching it I felt like a lot of its writing was in service of appearing mature or dark rather than creating a coherent or even good story. Still love it though, and the design of the witch dimensions is f a n t a s t i c.
#PrayForKyoAni