Forum Settings
Forums

What was the first Anime you watched(not counting the Animes you watched on TV as a child, etc)

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 22, 2019 7:20 PM

Feb 2019
K project. I hardly understand the story, but the husbandos characters, animation, and bgm was beautifully overwhelming that i decide to watch more anime to get the same feeling.
Sep 23, 2019 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
Kuroshitsuji

Bad idea. Put me off anime for some time.
Sep 23, 2019 2:24 AM
Sep 2019
The first anime I ever watched that turned me into an otaku is Assassination Classroom. Lol. I got addicted of this because of the plot and the characters.
Sep 23, 2019 4:15 AM

Apr 2019
Akira, from the discount shelf. Just bought to test my new DVD player, didn't care for the content initially. And then my mind got blown.

Sep 23, 2019 5:11 AM

Jul 2017
Death note or Attack on titan i don't really remember.

Sep 23, 2019 5:47 AM
Oct 2016
For me it was hellsing. Don't think there could've been a bloodier anime to get me into anime. I didn't realy wanted to start watching anime, but a friend posted a link to a scene from hellsing and out of curiosity I watched it. Then I wanted to know what happened until this scene and I started watching it from ep1. Three days later I finished my first anime outside of TV. Got me even more curious and my friend told me that there is hellsing ultimate. Watched it, too. Then another and elfen lied. And with these four, a 100 day long marathon started. Each day one 12 or 24 ep anime.
Sep 23, 2019 6:29 AM

Mar 2018
A friend of mine made me watch Black Butler and if I remember correctly that was in August of 2016. Next thing was Youjo Senki which I watched as it aired then I made another "break" which lasted until Jully of that year and that's when I watched Fullmetal Alchemist. After that one, I just couldn't stop.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 23, 2019 10:02 AM

Sep 2017
I did watch Pokemon and a few episodes of Naruto on television when i was young, but i think my anime addiction started when i saw an episode of DBZ on television. I didn't really know much about the show, i didn't even really know that Dragon Ball was a series. I only knew about the DBZ games since i played them on my old PS2 with friends. But i was intrigued, and binge-watched the whole series. I figured out that DBZ was an anime, and i started searching on Youtube to find other series to watch. I might have watched something before that, but my memory is fuzzy so that's the earliest point i remember before watching tons of anime.
Sep 23, 2019 10:11 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Love Hina etc..
Sep 23, 2019 10:30 AM
Apr 2018
Kind of a weird starting anime but Jojo's bizarre adventure is what really got me back into anime. It remains one of my favourite shows to this day.
Sep 23, 2019 10:35 AM
🥚

Feb 2016
Death Note, Baka and Test, and Akuma no Riddle.

"If you want to change the future, you only need to choose now. Now, believe in yourself and break the egg."

🌻

Anime|Manga|Last.fm|Letterboxd
Sep 23, 2019 10:39 AM

Dec 2017
I think it was around new year 2018 (when this account was made). I had just seen a playthrough of “Doki Doki literature club” on YouTube (when the game was on its height of popularity), and I enjoyed it so much I decided to watch something similar to that game, like a psychological high school anime. I decided to watch Watamote, a simple, yet good comedy and social commentary. During the first half of 2018 I mostly watched school dramas with psychological themes, and sadly, I can’t find any more promising shows like this anymore.
Sep 23, 2019 10:52 AM

Sep 2017
Bleach
Already watched a few episodes on TV when I was a child, then I decided to finish the anime when I was 16
Sep 23, 2019 10:57 AM

Aug 2018
It was nichijou, i remember how one day i stumbled on a youtube video of a nichijou clip and sine i watched the vid i got more nichijou stuff i my recommended, so one day i just decided to watch the whole thing.
Sep 23, 2019 11:10 AM

Aug 2017
The original Dragon Ball in 2014. Oddly enough, my first ever exposure to the Dragon Ball franchise was the abridged series circa 2010.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Sep 23, 2019 11:17 AM
May 2015
Mine was Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo back when I was 11
Sep 23, 2019 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
I don't quite remember it but I guess it was Death Note or Sword Art Online.. yeah one of these two were the first ones that I watched .
Sep 23, 2019 11:36 AM
Jul 2013
For me the 1st one was BLEACH. I have seen many before that, but not knowing that they were Anime. So BLEACH started my Anime watching ride back in Nov 2010.
Sep 23, 2019 11:40 AM

May 2019
I guess it was Itazura na Kiss but I hated it so I couldn't finish it. Then I started Hajime no Ippo but I dropped that too. Later I did the same with Naruto.

The first anime I watched AND completed was probably Death Note. Or Kimi ni Todoke. I watched them around the same period but it has been a long time so I forgot which one I finished first.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Sep 23, 2019 11:42 AM

Feb 2019
sword art online was my first, corpse party was my second.
Kuzurete yuku maeni
I'm pulsing, my blood is red and unafraid of living
Beginning to end
Sep 23, 2019 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
First anime I watched fansubs of was Naruto. This was in... March 2003 or so. I was 14 at the time.
However, I was already an anime fan before then... and watched plenty of stuff on TV and DVD, but you said that stuff doesn't count.

I feel like I already had an appreciation of anime from stuff like DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell, as well as a lot of 90s Movies and OVAs that were aired on the Encore Action channel.
I do suppose Naruto is the show that led me deeper into anime fandom, though... just by the advent of it introducing me to the concept of fansubbed shows posted online, which in turn led me to discover fansubs of other series airing around that time such as Gantz, Paranoia Agent, xxxHolic, Genshiken, Hellsing, Vandread, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Green Green, BECK, Bobobo, Monster... as well as shows from before then, such as The Legend of Black Heaven, Golden Boy, Love Hina, Oh! My Goddess.

That was a time where I could always find enjoyment in any show I found. Nowadays, anime has changed so much, and it's really much more difficult to find the type of shows I enjoy, and often times they're not even as enjoyable as the shows I enjoyed back then. Maybe it's just nostalgia, or maybe it was just teenage innocence, I'm still not sure... things just seemed more well-made at that time, for the most part.

I even bought DVDs of some of these shows back then, just because I loved them so much and wanted them in the highest quality possible (at the time).

Eventually, this heavy teenage love of anime culminated around mid-2007 or so, with me buying DVD after DVD of Eureka Seven, a series which I liked, but was one of the first anime series that I felt had some flaws...
Also, I remember watching some first episodes of stuff like Air Gear, Witchblade, R.O.D. the TV, and Queens Blade, thinking they were all a little disappointing. And this is where I mark that my love of anime began to die...
This is also around the time that I stopped watching Naruto Shippuden.
Yet, I kept buying those Eureka Seven DVDs just to own them, just to collect them, because I had bought the starter box and just wanted to fill it with the rest of the DVDs as they came out. After I finished buying them, though, I really had to take a hard look at myself as an anime fan, and it led to me severely limiting the amount of anime I watched for a few years, only really checking out a few first episodes, as well as a few episodes of the Shin-chan dub when it came to Adult Swim, as well as re-watching DBZ when it aired as Dragon Ball Kai, a few episodes of Sonic X, just to see what it was like and see if I missed out on anything, and continuing to watch a whole lot of Detective Conan. I had a couple of summers there where I was mostly just binge-watching Conan day in and day out.

In 2010, I began watching all of the Kara no Kyoukai movies, which I thought were pretty good, but still not as good as the anime that I used to watch. Then, after seeing a trailer for Panty & Stocking, and seeing how cool it looked, it gave me a drive to try and get back into anime. So, I watched Highschool of the Dead, which was decent for what it was, and Heroman, which... was hot garbage and almost ruined me on anime again as a whole.
Thankfully, Panty & Stocking gave me a boost of anime love again, showing me that good, unique shows were still being produced, and that I shouldn't give up on anime after all.

For the next few years after that, I kept watching Detective Conan, but I couldn't find much of anything else that I liked, and my love of anime began to wane again, this time mostly focused on a distaste for modern anime... so I didn't watch much, mostly limiting myself to older stuff and really noteworthy stuff like Ghibli films.
I discovered a website called Toonami Aftermath, where they would stream old shows that aired on Toonami 24/7, and I started to spend a lot of time there... and I also watched the re-launch of Toonami in 2012, but didn't much care for Deadman Wonderland or Casshern Sins.
In 2013, Attack on Titan came out and it made me fall in love with action shonen series all over again, and made me realize just how incredible looking digital animation can be when done right, and prompted me to start trying to watch some more modern anime. At the end of 2013, I watched Kids on the Slope, since I was a fan of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, and wanted to see what the creator of those shows could do nowadays. I absolutely loved it.
Around the same time, I was watching the original Yu Gi Oh series from 1999, as I had just heard of it.

Then, in early 2014, I decided I was officially starting to get back into anime and made an account on MAL...
Ever since then, I've become a full-fledged filthy otaku weeb and watch way more anime now than I ever have before.

Sorry for this becoming as long-winded as it was. I just got carried away with recalling my history with anime, as well as the 6-year-gap between 2007 and 2013 where I kept running into bad anime that even caused me to doubt that I was an anime fan at all.
vigorousjammerSep 23, 2019 12:56 PM
::End of Transmission::

Sep 23, 2019 1:36 PM
Jun 2019
Death Note (?)
But I'm not 100% sure.
Sep 23, 2019 1:55 PM
Jan 2017
SOme of you guys are making me feel really old lol.

My first anime that I recognized as anime (called Japanimation back then) was Sailor Moon. From there I got really into it and started finding it for rent at VHS rental places. Another early titles I watched was Record of Loddoss War airing on Sci-fi channel.

I remember when Toonami came out and was introduced to all of those shows... but for years I was restricted to what rare DVD’s I could find at rental places. It was amazing when it became more mainstream
Sep 23, 2019 3:37 PM

May 2017
Technically my first was Special A, but I ended up dropping that.
Azumanga Daioh counts as my first completed show back in 2015 or 2016ish. I remember binging a whole ton of SOL shows after that considering I enjoyed it so much.
Sep 23, 2019 4:59 PM
Aug 2019
Attack on Titan was the first anime that I fully went crazy for. I watched reviews and theories and prediction videos. And soon after I fell down the anime hole.
Sep 23, 2019 5:00 PM

Sep 2019
Legend of the galactic heroes. Started today as an otaku
Sep 23, 2019 6:17 PM

Sep 2013
shingeki no kyojin, though I did watch naruto shippuden online but that's mostly because of watching naruto on toonami
sic mundus
Sep 23, 2019 6:34 PM

Jul 2017
Sword Art Online Damn it was heavenly at the time but after I rewatched parts of it recently I can definitely see why its hated but I'm still a fan.
Sep 23, 2019 6:49 PM

Jun 2016
Oh god lets see my gateway was Love stage. My ex wanted to teach me about yaoi so she and i watched that together. After that I watched Jun Jo Romantica Erased and then Ben-to.
Sep 23, 2019 6:57 PM

Feb 2019
DavidAlejandro said:
Well, if you didn't understand yet let me explain more detailedly, tell me the first Anime you watched when you "turned into an otaku", the first Anime that you searched for it online to watch.

When i was younger i watched Dragon Ball Z, but a couple years ago i searched from Dragon Ball Super, so i dont really know the answer because Dragon Ball was really my first, but its also the first ever tv show i watched

So Dragon Ball Super.
Sep 23, 2019 7:00 PM
Jun 2019
first angel beats then attack on titan then SAO then death note
Sep 23, 2019 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan, i tried those two to be an anime fan when those anime were everyone's stuff and gave up early because of how unhooking those were.
Sep 23, 2019 7:05 PM
Apr 2019
My friend suggested i watch naruto after he saw a few anime dvds i owned from when i was younger ( ghost in the shell , spirited away and other studio Ghibli films ). This was only about two years ago and now i cant stop watching.
Sep 23, 2019 7:20 PM

Aug 2018
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan,Darker than Black,Attack On Titan and Air Gear...i loved every moment
TheeSupremeKaiSep 23, 2019 7:25 PM
"People who mostly ignore your existence are in no position to assess you." - Ken Kaneki/One Eyed King
Sep 23, 2019 7:22 PM

Oct 2015
Naruto is kind of in the line cause I watched a part of it on TV and then watched some episodes of Shippuuden online when it started airing. But the first anime I completed fully aware what anime was is Death Note.

Stepped out from the darkness I contained in me.
Released myself form the shackles I helped create.

I've got the power of life in my hands,
and I intend to keep it.

My life has meaning after all.

Sep 23, 2019 9:08 PM
Mar 2015
First anime make me love anime is Shakugan no shana
Sep 23, 2019 9:16 PM
Oct 2018
highschool dxd lmao idk why but yea..
Sep 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Dec 2018
Fairy Tail...instantly hook idc if it's friendship power bs I still love it

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Sep 23, 2019 9:44 PM

May 2017
Toradora or Chuunibyou, I don't remember
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Sep 23, 2019 10:24 PM

Apr 2019
Claymore was my first show apart from the Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, Conan etc stuff etc that was running on TV, it was currently releasing at the time but i don't remember how exactly i got into that one particularly, i do remember it being my first show though
You son of a .. turtle

Sep 23, 2019 10:27 PM

Jul 2016
A couple of episodes from .hack//Sign.
Sep 23, 2019 10:33 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
One of my cousin showed me the first episode of Highschool of the Dead a 7 years ago.

Wasnt a big fan of it at first and didnt bother to try anime but then, 2 years later, someone i used to work with told me to try Attack on Titan and ... here i am.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 23, 2019 10:38 PM

May 2018
Ghost in the Shell - season 2, then season 1, because initially HMV were sold out of season 1 LOL. It was pretty spectacular visually (for it's time) and thought provoking to boot, and sucked me (for better or worse) into the wonderful world of anime!
Sep 23, 2019 10:45 PM

Feb 2009
Inuyasha and s-CRY-ed in Cartoon Network
Sep 23, 2019 10:49 PM

Feb 2016
Chobits, i don't know why exactly i started with that but it was really cute so yeah
Sep 23, 2019 10:56 PM
Dec 2018
Yamada Kun and the Seven Witches. Loved every bit of that show and after it ended, I started to look for more anime to watch. Now i watch anime on a regular basis.
Sep 23, 2019 11:23 PM

Mar 2019
Dragon Ball Super. I watched only that for a year and then decided to watch more, My Hero Academia is my second. Until today, I have watched a lot of anime.
Sep 23, 2019 11:31 PM
Oct 2017
Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist), though I stopped halfway through. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (Saiki Kusuo no Sai-nan) was the first one I finished. :)

I did watch Spirited Away in third grade, though I didn't know it was an anime and didn't remember anything except the poor girl who ended up in a random world and a giant baby... so I rewatched that. (that doesn't count right?)

After that: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Nanatsu no Taizai. Then I found out Howl's Moving Castle was also an anime... so I decided to rewatch that too.
Sep 23, 2019 11:37 PM

Jul 2015
Fairy Tail actually,this is what brought me in the anime and Manga world.

Sep 24, 2019 12:16 AM

Oct 2017
Death note was my first anime 😬 👌👌 ( excluding anime that i watched in childhood on tv )
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

15 by billybub »»
22 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
8 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
15 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.