Forum Settings
Forums

Magical girl fans, how would YOU make a magical girl show?

#1
Sep 21, 12:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Recently, I've been noticing that a lot of magical girl fans are getting tired of seeing nothing but dark/edgy themed magical girl anime throughout the recent years. There's a few YouTube videos out there on this as well as a few MAL forum threads.
I'm aware that there are magical girl fans who don't mind these kinds of shows. I'm one of these fans. But even I find myself getting tired of the over-saturation too...

So what I'm hoping to aim for in this thread is something like this thread on making the isekai genre "feel fresh".
For those who are tired of seeing the same type of magical girl show over, this thread is for you to discuss in.
What kind of magical girl show would you want to watch? Are there specific themes that you would like to see in the genre (e.g. animals, plants, mythology, etc.)? What kinds of stories, characters, outfits, transformation sequences, animation techniques, etc would you want to see? How would you deconstruct magical girl tropes in order to make them either feel refreshing or introduce new ideas to the table? Are there other non-related genres/tropes that you would like to mix with the magical girl genre (e.g. mecha, shounen, mature themes such as philosophy, etc.)?

Here's a link you can use as reference for magical girl tropes: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirl

Oh, and if someone's answer sounds a lot like a magical girl show that you know, feel free to share it and let them know that something like it exists. Maybe they might want to give that show a try!


Soooo... fellow magical girl fans, how would you make a magical girl show?
 
#2
Sep 21, 12:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1444
Aliens who have been watching magic girl shows come down and find some girls to give powers to, in order to use for acts of altruism. Some of them decide to perform altruistic acts like "disintegrating concentration camp walls". And so you get a sort of political thriller piece, except all the power players are genuinely kind and altruistic girls who refuse to hurt one another, and the normal authorities can't really touch. I think that would be pretty cool.
 
#3
Sep 21, 2:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7795
I don't really watch enough of them to care that much about the genre, but the darker ones or at least the more plot and action driven ones like Lyrical Nanoha or Madoka Magica are my preference.

Ideally, I'd like see more things like Vivid Strike.
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)
 
#4
Sep 21, 12:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
logopolis said:
Aliens who have been watching magic girl shows come down and find some girls to give powers to, in order to use for acts of altruism. Some of them decide to perform altruistic acts like "disintegrating concentration camp walls". And so you get a sort of political thriller piece, except all the power players are genuinely kind and altruistic girls who refuse to hurt one another, and the normal authorities can't really touch. I think that would be pretty cool.

well that's a pretty unique and interesting idea! can't say i've heard of a magical girl parody like that... sure gave me a chuckle hahaha
 
#5
Sep 21, 4:39 PM

Online
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 548
1: A magical girl "mons" series, kind of like Cardcaptor Sakura except the monsters are summoned directly to fight alongside the magical girl instead of just lending her their powers. Maybe they could even fuse with the monsters a la Digimon Tamers. Or maybe her costume could change depending on which monster she summoned.

2: Magical women. An adult magical girl that has to juggle adult responsibilities and obligations with saving the world would be neat. Ideally, I would not want it to be a parody but a josei take on the genre with more mature relationships while still having the escapist power fantasy elements.
Modified by HeruruMeruru, Sep 22, 5:45 PM
 
#6
Sep 21, 5:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
HeruruMeruru said:
1: A magical girl "mons" series, kind of like Cardcaptor Sakura except the monsters are summoned directly to fight alongside the magical girl instead of just lending her their powers. Maybe they could even fuse with the monsters a la Digimon Tamers. Or maybe her costume could change depending on which monster she summoned.

2: Magical women. An adult magical girl that has to juggle adult responsibilities and obligations with saving the world would be neat.

I think those are great ideas! I'd love to see a magical girl show that's closer to Pokémon other than Cardcaptor Sakura.
As for the second idea, there is an anime like that—have you heard of Madam is a Magical Girl? Perhaps you'd like to watch it. It would be cool to see more like your concept, though.
 
#7
Sep 21, 6:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25383
I would make a magical idol show with the girls fighting cute aliens trying to eat Earth's sweets supply and an insert song at the end, basically 1 part Mao-chan (except with the aliens getting harmed, none of this capture crap), 1 part Pripara, and 2 parts Precure.

HeruruMeruru said:


2: Magical women. An adult magical girl that has to juggle adult responsibilities and obligations with saving the world would be neat.


That would work, tokusatsu series have done a similar thing but with moms, so there is a market out there, but I doubt it could sell as a full length series.


 
#8
Sep 21, 7:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 7886
not so much a new show, but as a nanoha fan i would love to see or have some one make an anime that revolves around ancient belka i feel like a lot of that lore would be interesting since basically every major season of nanoha involves artifacts from belka, but we don't get much time to exploring it's past.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."
 
#9
Sep 21, 7:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4903
Three or four magical girls, who got their power with 13, 14 and lived through the typical life of the not-so-dark magical girl series, struggled trough school life, fighting the monster of the week and had to live a double life, until they become 16-18+ and start to ask more questions and recognize that they were exploited from someone to be part of some bigger plan (not too Madoka-like tho) and they become more self-aware on what they are doing and why. And there it becomes gradually darker.
Also they decide that they want to lead a normal life, since it becomes impossible to lead a private life and focus on study and work, and want to get rid off their powers and don't take part in someone's else plans. Therefore they have to look for girls, who are at their original age, which seems to be unethical to them, or they have to fight and play along to get rid off their powers.
And they recognize that fighting monster of the week actually had been a lot scarier and left a greater impact than they originally thought, because they reflect all that stuff more and the monsters become gradually scarier too.
Everything was fun and cute powers and dresses at first and they fought against comical monsters and suddenly they become a lot scarier. Then it's "shit, how to quit and nope out!?"
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Sep 22, 6:22 AM
 
Sep 21, 10:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 516
I like darker more mature magical girl shows, but only if it's done right. Madoka is loved for a reason, and it's not JUST because its dark and edgy. I think Yuki Yuna is a Hero does a good job at mimicking Madoka's appeal, while retaining its own identity. The reason shows like Magical Girl Site are so awful isn't because they're aimed at an older audience. It's because they aren't smart. They don't go into it with the right mindset. They're exploitative and rely too much on shock value. Magical Girl Site is literally just adolescent torture porn. I just wish more modern magical girl shows would know how to handle the darker themes they wanna use, rather than just thinking "shit we gotta do something violent and shocking to show people how badass and not for little girls this show is."

Anywho... If I were to make a magical girl show... I'd wanna strike a good balance between what I like about Madoka/Yuki Yunna and what I like about Pre Cure. I don't know specifics with characters/settings/etc. But I'd want there to be actual stakes and tangible threats. I'd want injury and sadness to be there, but I wouldn't want it to be overwhelming or soul crushing. I wouldn't kill off more than one significant character, if even that. And I'd give the girls a happy ending. No monster of the week type stuff, I'd rather make a short, story and character heavy 12-24 episode series. I'd wanna include likable characters and kickass action. And of course, I'd wanna have a cool villain. Something/someone who poses and actual threat and isn't afraid to resort to actual violence. Someone threatening and badass. Bonus points if they have a minion who ends up being reformed by friendship and joins the side of the good guys.
 
Sep 21, 10:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 47
A plot twist where all magical girls are actually all grown men.
 
Sep 21, 11:36 PM

Online
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 355
Where they are suffering.

Besides that IDK for exmple i liked more Raising Project and Site more than Yuuki Yuuna and they are generally more disliked than it but I found Asuka pretty bad when they are all put into the edgy category.

 
Sep 22, 11:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Hoppy said:
I would make a magical idol show with the girls fighting cute aliens trying to eat Earth's sweets supply and an insert song at the end, basically 1 part Mao-chan (except with the aliens getting harmed, none of this capture crap), 1 part Pripara, and 2 parts Precure.

Sounds like some good CGDCT material, I'd be up for something like that

Maneki-Mew said:
Three or four magical girls, who got their power with 13, 14 and lived through the typical life of the not-so-dark magical girl series, struggled trough school life, fighting the monster of the week and had to live a double life, until they become 16-18+ and start to ask more questions and recognize that they were exploited from someone to be part of some bigger plan (not too Madoka-like tho) and they become more self-aware on what they are doing and why. And there it becomes gradually darker.
Also they decide that they want to lead a normal life, since it becomes impossible to lead a private life and focus on study and work, and want to get rid off their powers and don't take part in someone's else plans. Therefore they have to look for girls, who are at their original age, which seems to be unethical to them, or they have to fight and play along to get rid off their powers.
And they recognize that fighting monster of the week actually had been a lot scarier and left a greater impact than they originally thought, because they reflect all that stuff more and the monsters become gradually scarier too.
Everything was fun and cute powers and dresses at first and they fought against comical monsters and suddenly they become a lot scarier. Then it's "shit, how to quit and nope out!?"

Maybe it's cuz of our similar taste in magical girl anime, but I can totally feel some vibes of Madoka, Princess Tutu, and Uta Kata combined into this (won't explain which specifics come from which shows due to spoiler-y territory). This is some great stuff and I could see this as maybe a 12-15 ep series

Aidyr said:
I like darker more mature magical girl shows, but only if it's done right. Madoka is loved for a reason, and it's not JUST because its dark and edgy. I think Yuki Yuna is a Hero does a good job at mimicking Madoka's appeal, while retaining its own identity. The reason shows like Magical Girl Site are so awful isn't because they're aimed at an older audience. It's because they aren't smart. They don't go into it with the right mindset. They're exploitative and rely too much on shock value. Magical Girl Site is literally just adolescent torture porn. I just wish more modern magical girl shows would know how to handle the darker themes they wanna use, rather than just thinking "shit we gotta do something violent and shocking to show people how badass and not for little girls this show is."

Anywho... If I were to make a magical girl show... I'd wanna strike a good balance between what I like about Madoka/Yuki Yunna and what I like about Pre Cure. I don't know specifics with characters/settings/etc. But I'd want there to be actual stakes and tangible threats. I'd want injury and sadness to be there, but I wouldn't want it to be overwhelming or soul crushing. I wouldn't kill off more than one significant character, if even that. And I'd give the girls a happy ending. No monster of the week type stuff, I'd rather make a short, story and character heavy 12-24 episode series. I'd wanna include likable characters and kickass action. And of course, I'd wanna have a cool villain. Something/someone who poses and actual threat and isn't afraid to resort to actual violence. Someone threatening and badass. Bonus points if they have a minion who ends up being reformed by friendship and joins the side of the good guys.

I totally agree on your thoughts toward Madoka and Yuki Yuna (I need to re-watch that, it's been forever haha). Haven't seen Magical Girl Site, but the shock value is pretty infamous and so I've heard of some of that. Sorry but no thanks lol
I haven't watched enough of PreCure but holy crap, a more serious plotline with some PreCure level of action scenes sounds amazing
 
Sep 22, 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1306
I would like more comedy and parody like in the 90s Pretty Sammy TV spin-off (not the OVA). It was a pure gem and made me laugh almost every episode.

Fario-P said:

As for the second idea, there is an anime like that—have you heard of Madam is a Magical Girl? Perhaps you'd like to watch it. It would be cool to see more like your concept, though.


Few episodes of Pretty Sammy TV also deal with the subject in a very funny way. Magical ladies are unbeatable, even against the US army!

Fario-P said:

I haven't watched enough of PreCure but holy crap, a more serious plotline with some PreCure level of action scenes sounds amazing


Petite Princess Yucie has some Gainax animated moments scenes that rival Precure, even reminding a little of Gurren Laggan, unfortunately being a kids magical girl series it did not get the animation budget it deserved. But it did get some of the Trigger staff and was also supervised by Hideaki Anno, so one can expect a sort of consistency in character interaction and script.

Very underrated series overall, probably because it was based on Princess Maker but it has heart that many non-Toei magical girl series lack.
 
Sep 22, 6:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 6507
*Keep the main characters alive and proud to be magical girls. None of this "Magic and wishes are bad so please suffer" bullshit

* Have a good romantic subplot

*Aim the series at GIRLS but also have enough material to keep anyone interested

*NOT use CGI transformations

*Keep it more interesting than 'Monster of the Week"

just be Princess Tutu I guess lol

I'll tell you something I WOULDN'T DO:

show panties of nine-year-old magical girls when they do....anything.

*glares at Nanoha* Seriously....what the f*ck; why do we need to see that? That's plain horrible taste and it drags the show down. Pretty Sammy is also guilty of being creepy like that. Like, can you not?


petran79 said:
Petite Princess Yucie has some Gainax animated moments scenes that rival Precure, even reminding a little of Gurren Laggan, unfortunately being a kids magical girl series it did not get the animation budget it deserved.


I have this series as a DVD boxset...thought the animation looked great?



 
Sep 22, 6:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
petran79 said:
I would like more comedy and parody like in the 90s Pretty Sammy TV spin-off (not the OVA). It was a pure gem and made me laugh almost every episode.

Fario-P said:

I haven't watched enough of PreCure but holy crap, a more serious plotline with some PreCure level of action scenes sounds amazing

Petite Princess Yucie has some Gainax animated moments scenes that rival Precure, even reminding a little of Gurren Laggan, unfortunately being a kids magical girl series it did not get the animation budget it deserved. But it did get some of the Trigger staff and was also supervised by Hideaki Anno, so one can expect a sort of consistency in character interaction and script.
Very underrated series overall, probably because it was based on Princess Maker but it has heart that many non-Toei magical girl series lack.

Ah, I'm aware of both Pretty Sammy and Petite Princess Yucie.
I'm not interested in Pretty Sammy mainly because I'm not sure if I need to watch Tenchi Muyo to properly enjoy it, and I'm not into harems like Tenchi Muyo... but Petite Princess Yucie seems like my kind of thing, so it's already in my PTW list.
I feel like I can relate to Yucie a little bit considering a good amount of people aren't sure if I'm younger than I look or not (I was often asked questions like "are you a freshman" in high school hahahah)

Chiibi said:

I'll tell you something I WOULDN'T DO:

show panties of nine-year-old magical girls when they do....anything.

*glares at Nanoha* Seriously....what the f*ck; why do we need to see that? That's plain horrible taste and it drags the show down. Pretty Sammy is also guilty of being creepy like that. Like, can you not?

oh my god I frickin hate shit like that
I haven't seen Nanoha yet, but thanks for that warning (I'll still go watch it though). Stuff like that was the only thing I hated about Uta Kata—the shots were usually tame, but I hated how frequent it was in that show.
 
Sep 22, 6:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 6507
@Fario-P Yucie is great; I also related to her because I look very young. xD

I think you would love Kaitou Saint Tail and Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. Good, wholesome, entertaining magical girl shows. Older but don't let that stop you.



 
Sep 22, 6:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Chiibi said:
@Fario-P Yucie is great; I also related to her because I look very young. xD
I think you would love Kaitou Saint Tail and Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. Good, wholesome, entertaining magical girl shows. Older but don't let that stop you.

All right, I'll get to watching Yucie soon haha
Oh Saint Tail! I somehow got the out-of-print TokyoPop volumes a while ago and I liked it a lot (eventually got the author's other work that was put into English as well, heheheheh)! I'll be sure to give the anime a try, I've seen the OP and the transformation a few times and I love them
Haven't seen Ririka yet, but I've heard of it—wasn't a big fan of the OP but I'll consider watching that too.

Oh and I don't usually take how old the anime/manga was when it comes to finding new series to watch/read.
I've seen a couple of older Ghibli movies as well as Angel's Egg that are old as heck—you don't have to worry about when it came out when it comes to recommending me stuff, that's for sure hahahaha
Modified by Fario-P, Sep 22, 7:10 PM
 
Sep 22, 9:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1306
Chiibi said:


I have this series as a DVD boxset...thought the animation looked great?


2 studios animated the series and the episodes by Gainax stand out compared to the rest

Fario-P said:

I'm not interested in Pretty Sammy mainly because I'm not sure if I need to watch Tenchi Muyo to properly enjoy it, and I'm not into harems like Tenchi Muyo... but Petite Princess Yucie seems like my kind of thing, so it's already in my PTW list.
I feel like I can relate to Yucie a little bit considering a good amount of people aren't sure if I'm younger than I look or not (I was often asked questions like "are you a freshman" in high school hahahah)



No need to watch tenchi, series is a spinoff with its own plot, irrelevant to the franchise. Also I only refer to the 90s.the newer spinoff I've never watched
Modified by petran79, Sep 22, 9:10 PM
 
Sep 23, 5:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
@petran79 thanks for the info on Magical Girl Pretty Sammy, don't think I'll be watching it anytime soon though...

All right, I guess it's about time that I actually add my own two cents into my own thread lol (I should've done that from the beginning, but I really wanted to hear what others had to say first).
As I've already mentioned, I like all kinds of magical girl series as long as I still find them enjoyable—doesn't matter whether it's a story of majokkos, Super Sentai wannabes, or poor unfortunate souls getting their innocence crushed. There are some themes I think would be interesting to see in the magical girl genre though:
  • You didn't hear it from me, but dinosaurs.
    I've heard/seen a few things online where people are wondering why there's no magical girl anime with a dinosaur theme (can't remember where I first heard/saw people saying that unfortunately, if I remember then I'll update this). The only anime that I know is about dinosaurs is Dinosaur King, so yeah, I'm sure there's more room for dinosaur-themed anime out there.
  • Flowers!
    I know that there's a few flower-themed magical girl shows, like The Flower Child Lunlun, Magical Idol Pastel Yumi (which I need to watch, omg this MC feels a bit too relatable for me, I love drawing and flowers), Floral Magician Mary Bell, and HeartCatch PreCure (which I need to get back to watching), but...
    can you imagine how a flower-themed magical girl show in the modern age of anime would look like?! With how these new anime look and how they draw flowers, it would be amazing!!!
  • Where are all the magical girl thieves?
    The only ones I've heard of are Saint Tail (which I like a lot), Phantom Thief Jeanne, and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel. Out of all the magical girl subgenres, this is probably the most under-utilized one! Would love to see more of this subgenre.
  • Some cooking-themed magical girls would be nice too.
    I guess Motto! Ojamajo Doremi (still have to finish Sharp first though) and Kirakira PreCure a la Mode counts, but... maybe a new magical girl anime that's closer to Yumeiro Patissiere would be cool. Dunno if it'd work but... hey anything's possible

Anyway, I don't think I have any specific stories that I'd want to see more of the genre, aside from a return of magical girl wholesomeness or something that focuses on being unique rather than focusing on being as dark as possible.
If I had to name some specific shows as examples of what I want, I guess I'd like some new shows that are like The Demon Next Door, Princess Tutu, or Uta Kata. For those not familiar with these shows, they're pretty much (respectively): a more CGDCT-ish parody of the genre; a fairy-tale-esque story that feels like watching a ballet play in a theater; and a coming-of-age story featuring djinn that feels like Madoka Magica despite coming out 7 years before.
Not mentioning Madoka Magica (despite the fact that it's my favorite anime out there rn) as an example of what I generally want to see more from the genre, cuz nearly all the magical girl shows coming out nowadays are using it as an example anyway (cuz trends = profit).

I will mention Madoka for another reason, though: I love the Holy Quintet transformation scene in Rebellion.
I can't say that Madoka ruined magical girl shows for me (cuz obviously I'm still interested in other series), but when it comes to Rebellion's Holy Quintet transformation scene... now that kinda ruined magical girl transformation scenes for me.
Don't get me wrong, all of Sailor Moon's transformations still hold a special place in my heart and there are still great transformations out there, like Meimi's transformation into Saint Tail. But the Holy Quintet transformation is really something special—there's different animation techniques and styles being used here, and this scene features the girls dancing instead of... simply having their clothes magically changed. It's a real treat for those who love the original show, those who love magical girl transformation scenes, and those who love when animation gets artsy.

I'll leave a video of the Holy Quintet transformation here, in case you want to know what I'm talking about (obvious spoilers here)

But yeah, would love to see more magical girl shows with transformation scenes like Rebellion's. Taking risks in animation/art and featuring the girls dancing feels very refreshing and is a great way to show what the girl who's transforming is like. For example, Mami's transformation here gives you the impression that she's very elegant, with the use of flowers and how she seems to be ice-skating.
I imagine it'd be hella expensive, but hey, you gotta invest a little more if you want to make something truly special (well that's my opinion anyway).
 
Sep 23, 9:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1306
Another popular dinosaur series, especially in Europe, was Jura Tripper, about a group of kids stranded back in time.

To me Panty and Stocking ruined transformation scenes :D
Now I want every character to do pole-dancing and strip tease before transforming! Best adult maho shojo ever
 
Sep 23, 9:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
petran79 said:
Another popular dinosaur series, especially in Europe, was Jura Tripper, about a group of kids stranded back in time.

To me Panty and Stocking ruined transformation scenes :D
Now I want every character to do pole-dancing and strip tease before transforming! Best adult maho shojo ever

Legit have never heard about that anime before, sounds like an isekai people should be watching if they hate what's being put out now
.....Oh I'm scared to watch Panty and Stocking. I really like the art style and the main characters look awesome, but..... I guess you can say I'm on the innocent side when it comes to sexual themes ahhahaaha
But yeah sexual themes isn't my thing ; ;; ; ;;
 
Oct 3, 5:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 480
I've been mulling over this question for a while and wanted to approach it from multiple angles. But my first tentative idea ended up winning in my head in part due to the way magical girl anime have largely aped Madoka Magica after its success, without even understanding why that show was successful. Even then, studios would do well to remember the market for a traditional magical girl show still exists beyond the mega IPs such as Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and PreCure

What the magical girl genre needs now is its own original IP that acts as a return to form from where Madoka Magica deviated from. If you're familiar with Evangelion and the influence that show had on other mecha anime years after its success, it's a similar story in terms of the trajectory of the genre. But eventually, mecha anime gave rise to Gurren Lagann, taking back what so much of Evangelion had subverted. Right now, the magical girl genre needs a Gurren Lagann to Madoka Magica's Evangelion

The show itself would be somewhere between the tone of the Symphogear series and the Nanoha series (although Nanoha predates Madoka Magica by several years and both of them have their own identity, separate from the post-Madoka Magica era or Cardcaptor Sakura. That's neither here nor there). It needs to wear on its sleeve it isn't going to be a PreCure picnic while retaining a sense of urgency to keep the story's momentum

That said. The story itself is still going to be dark. Or rather, it's going to be heavy. Something Madoka Magica understands that most of its successors don't is the difference between mature storytelling and adult storytelling. Magical Girl Site has death and blood reigning rampant, while Grand Theft Auto is rife with cursing, violence, and drugs; neither of them are mature. Heartcatch PreCure, The Lion King, and Toy Story are all kid-friendly while also respecting its older viewers; their themes of self-acceptance, responsibility, and place of belonging lie just beneath the surface that actually enrich the experience for older viewers beyond the spectacle and colorful visuals

This magical girl show I make needs to be fun for a wide range of audiences in terms of age, while packing a certain sense of depth that anyone old enough should be able to comfortably grasp. And as I'm still thinking on what the story would be, there's a core precept that should be a strong anchor point for creating this anime in terms of both story and thematics

The Dark Magical Girl is forever an antagonist to the main character

Fate Testarossa, Homura Akemi, Kuroki Rei. We've seen them, we know them, we predict them. We can barely glance at a Dark Magical Girl before instinctively feeling they aren't evil and have a very strong reason for why they oppose the main character. We wait for the main character to win her over, and eventually there's a cool Yin-Yang type duo fighting the evil forces of whoever, together. But what if, while keeping her general sense of sympathy intact, there are irreconcilable differences between them, preventing the Dark Magical Girl from joining the side of the main character? As routine as magical girl anime have become in the post-Madoka Magica era, the Dark Magical Girl is a character who, as compelling as she can be in her native story, has become predictable in a broader context

That's my idea for creating a magical girl show, anyway. The genre is in need of a return to form while understanding maturity vs adult content interwoven into an overall sense of fun, while doing something bold with one of the most notable character types the genre has to offer
 
Oct 3, 5:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4498
For starters, more ass shaking shots like this.





And if one of them is a redhead, extra focus on them. This point is why Madoka Magica is only 9/10 for me.
(Mostly) MBTI blog coming before New Year!






Filter my anime list by fetish:
Ass - Boxing - Bunny - Catfight - S&M - Wrestling
 
Oct 3, 5:55 PM

Online
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 15935
I would make a magical girl Anime similar those of the Studio Gallop/NAS era, like "Akazukin Chacha" and "Nurse Angel Ririka SOS," as that was probably the pinnacle of magical girl Anime.

Also, it would of course, be for all ages, so nothing would be shiny, except for the characters' hair.
 
Oct 3, 6:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2113
More rape: Adam in Puberty is a great magical girl strip with impeccably well done rape scenes.

My dick is diamonds when Enzyu is caught in a tentacle rape machine and Mutuki is tied up by Lucia and forced to watch, but it just turns him on despite his objections to it; then Lucia begins to fellate Mutuki against his will and looking at that turns Enzyu on again and both are getting off on being forced to watch one's friend get raped... such genius.

It's even better due to how cute Lucia was during all that whereas Enzyu was aggressively angry and Mutuki was panicking ere he surrended and cummed in Lucia's mouth.


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Oct 3, 9:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Akito_Kinomoto said:
I've been mulling over this question for a while and wanted to approach it from multiple angles. But my first tentative idea ended up winning in my head in part due to the way magical girl anime have largely aped Madoka Magica after its success, without even understanding why that show was successful. Even then, studios would do well to remember the market for a traditional magical girl show still exists beyond the mega IPs such as Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and PreCure

What the magical girl genre needs now is its own original IP that acts as a return to form from where Madoka Magica deviated from. If you're familiar with Evangelion and the influence that show had on other mecha anime years after its success, it's a similar story in terms of the trajectory of the genre. But eventually, mecha anime gave rise to Gurren Lagann, taking back what so much of Evangelion had subverted. Right now, the magical girl genre needs a Gurren Lagann to Madoka Magica's Evangelion

I'm a bit familiar with NGE and GL despite not having watched either of them... as in like I'm aware of their popularity and some of NGE's reputation (also I find it funny that Madoka and NGE have 60 recommendations between each other).
But anyway that sounds really interesting! I think Yuki Yuna tries to do something like this by having some more light-hearted moments while also having a harsh truth (from my memory, it's literally been years since I first saw it), but yeah something like this may be needed at the moment! Idk I'd like to see that that's for sure

The show itself would be somewhere between the tone of the Symphogear series and the Nanoha series (although Nanoha predates Madoka Magica by several years and both of them have their own identity, separate from the post-Madoka Magica era or Cardcaptor Sakura. That's neither here nor there). It needs to wear on its sleeve it isn't going to be a PreCure picnic while retaining a sense of urgency to keep the story's momentum

That said. The story itself is still going to be dark. Or rather, it's going to be heavy. Something Madoka Magica understands that most of its successors don't is the difference between mature storytelling and adult storytelling. Magical Girl Site has death and blood reigning rampant, while Grand Theft Auto is rife with cursing, violence, and drugs; neither of them are mature. Heartcatch PreCure, The Lion King, and Toy Story are all kid-friendly while also respecting its older viewers; their themes of self-acceptance, responsibility, and place of belonging lie just beneath the surface that actually enrich the experience for older viewers beyond the spectacle and colorful visuals

This magical girl show I make needs to be fun for a wide range of audiences in terms of age, while packing a certain sense of depth that anyone old enough should be able to comfortably grasp.

I think the type of magical girl show that you're wanting to make is a coming-of-age story.
They usually focus on personal growth—which is pretty much what "themes of self-acceptance, responsibility, and place of belonging" is. And there have been examples of more kid-friendly shows that handle these kinds of topics like Steven Universe and Avatar: The Last Airbender (of course, execution may vary... as I like the latter example way more than the former lol), so it's not like a kid-friendly coming-of-age story is impossible.
In that case, I agree that a coming-of-age magical girl show would be great. I mean, Uta Kata did this and I personally liked it, so... more like that please!
(Speaking of which, I see that it's on your Completed list. If you don't mind me asking, what were your thoughts on it?)

There's a core precept that should be a strong anchor point for creating this anime in terms of both story and thematics— The Dark Magical Girl is forever an antagonist to the main character

From your further elaboration on this, do you mean you want more anti-hero magical girls? Hmmm... I guess it would be interesting to see that there are magical girls that doesn't really oppose, but also doesn't necessarily have the same exact perspective as the main character...

Overall, I kinda really like your ideas! Maybe I'm underselling your ideas, but I still agree that a middle ground between the traditions of the genre and the recent rise of more edgy/dark magical girls definitely needs to be made at this point.

-----

Seiya said:
I would make a magical girl Anime similar those of the Studio Gallop/NAS era, like "Akazukin Chacha" and "Nurse Angel Ririka SOS," as that was probably the pinnacle of magical girl Anime.

Also, it would of course, be for all ages, so nothing would be shiny, except for the characters' hair.

No offense, but I wasn't all too surprised with that answer considering your username and your forum icon are from Ririka lol
Observation aside, I think that's a fine opinion to have. I don't know too much about these shows as I haven't seen them (I have at least heard enough to distinguish them though), but they do look pretty cute and I think their art style is simple (and clear to tell that it's from the 90s) but effective. I will at least say that I really like the Nurse Angel's design—it really does tell me without words that she's a magical girl nurse!
Modified by Fario-P, Oct 3, 9:22 PM
 
Oct 4, 5:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 480
Fario-P said:

But anyway that sounds really interesting! I think Yuki Yuna tries to do something like this by having some more light-hearted moments while also having a harsh truth (from my memory, it's literally been years since I first saw it), but yeah something like this may be needed at the moment! Idk I'd like to see that that's for sure

Yuuki Yuuna is less about its thematic elements than it is about how the characters deal with the situation. The plot is weighted toward individual character arcs instead of unifying them under a single pretense
I think the type of magical girl show that you're wanting to make is a coming-of-age story.
They usually focus on personal growth—which is pretty much what "themes of self-acceptance, responsibility, and place of belonging" is. And there have been examples of more kid-friendly shows that handle these kinds of topics like Steven Universe and Avatar: The Last Airbender (of course, execution may vary... as I like the latter example way more than the former lol), so it's not like a kid-friendly coming-of-age story is impossible.
In that case, I agree that a coming-of-age magical girl show would be great. I mean, Uta Kata did this and I personally liked it, so... more like that please!
(Speaking of which, I see that it's on your Completed list. If you don't mind me asking, what were your thoughts on it?)

I wouldn't necessarily aim for a coming of age story or even a story about self-discovery, as the plot details are still an unknown to me. I'm more pointing out how something thematically heavy on content doesn't have to be tied to something for an older audience or a darker tone

It's been years since I've seen Uta Kata. If I had to summarize my thoughts on it though. It's not as revelatory as the length of the various character arcs would suggest while not serving the magical girl elements and vice-verse
From your further elaboration on this, do you mean you want more anti-hero magical girls? Hmmm... I guess it would be interesting to see that there are magical girls that doesn't really oppose, but also doesn't necessarily have the same exact perspective as the main character...

Overall, I kinda really like your ideas! Maybe I'm underselling your ideas, but I still agree that a middle ground between the traditions of the genre and the recent rise of more edgy/dark magical girls definitely needs to be made at this point.

I moreso want the Dark Magical Girl of this anime to be a fresh take on the character type by having all the hallmarks of a Fate or Kuroki, but never joining the main character magical girl as they often do. The thematics the story would exude hinge on the reason I'd come up with to keep them as enemies to each other

I wouldn't say I'd be aiming for a middle ground so much as trying to capture the best of both worlds. The sense of fun from a Symphogear or Nanoha combined with the emotional dexterity of a Madoka Magica. A demonstration of how heavy a story can be without turning the age rating to 17 or the tone to be Darker than Black (and yes, Avatar would be another strong example of this demonstration)
Modified by Akito_Kinomoto, Oct 4, 5:54 PM
 
Oct 4, 6:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 31
i would like if there is a mahou shoujo that have a more mature graphic violence, like the girls actually bleeding during the battles (like in most of battle shonen) or even some "gore" scenes (like in blood-c), or maybe one of the girls actually die during the serie
and i would also like if the girls dont fight against monsters but people that have power like them but they are fighting "from the wrong side"
another thing that would be great would be if the serie was not episodic, if they have some short arcs during it, like, one arc have 6 episodes that have a certain villain that they have to kill, the next arc have 11 episodes with another villain but with a different plots and enemies
 
Oct 4, 6:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1409
Easy...Step 1. Never get started in the first place. Done
 
Oct 4, 6:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
not a magical girl fan but can someone name an anime that has magical girl kill each other? i've seen highlight on some of the part in yt but its long ago and i don't think im going to find that again.
 
Oct 4, 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
cy6nt said:
not a magical girl fan but can someone name an anime that has magical girl kill each other? i've seen highlight on some of the part in yt but its long ago and i don't think im going to find that again.

I believe you are looking for Magical Girl Raising Project
 
Oct 4, 9:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 494
I had a Weather Trio-inspired (Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayqueza from Pokemon) premise for a Magical Girl Show. Essentially there would be three Magical Girls that serve as conduits for the powers of a primeval entity (Earth, Water, and Air). The abilities would match the respective attributes. The girls would be walking natural disasters: i.e. the earth one can cause earthquakes, the water can cause tsunamis/heavy rain, and the air can generate tornadoes or typhoons.

The history would be periodical conflict (say every 10,000 years) between the three primeval entities. In the current times, the earth entity has dominion. In the past, both humans and other animals were used as conduits for the entities. However, the current entities, who picked human conduits, realize something was amiss... For the firs time, the chosen conduits (having sufficiently developed brains) maintained a degree of consciousness. This difference allows them to break the periodic cycle, but also unleash a potentially worse outcome (as the entities kept the world in a fragile ecological balance). I'm rambling a little bit, but I'd like to see a story like that. Though I'm not sure it would be particularly well received in Japan; which has experienced numerous natural disasters in recent times.

Another idea would be magical girls as conduits of religious power. However, I would probably expand the setting from just Japan (who are heavily Shinto-dominated) to the whole world.
Modified by Graumann, Oct 4, 9:07 PM
 
Oct 5, 6:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Graumann said:
I had a Weather Trio-inspired (Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayqueza from Pokemon) premise for a Magical Girl Show. Essentially there would be three Magical Girls that serve as conduits for the powers of a primeval entity (Earth, Water, and Air). The abilities would match the respective attributes. The girls would be walking natural disasters: i.e. the earth one can cause earthquakes, the water can cause tsunamis/heavy rain, and the air can generate tornadoes or typhoons.

The history would be periodical conflict (say every 10,000 years) between the three primeval entities. In the current times, the earth entity has dominion. In the past, both humans and other animals were used as conduits for the entities. However, the current entities, who picked human conduits, realize something was amiss... For the firs time, the chosen conduits (having sufficiently developed brains) maintained a degree of consciousness. This difference allows them to break the periodic cycle, but also unleash a potentially worse outcome (as the entities kept the world in a fragile ecological balance). I'm rambling a little bit, but I'd like to see a story like that. Though I'm not sure it would be particularly well received in Japan; which has experienced numerous natural disasters in recent times.

Another idea would be magical girls as conduits of religious power. However, I would probably expand the setting from just Japan (who are heavily Shinto-dominated) to the whole world.

Conduits? Wouldn't "vessels" be the better word for the first idea?
Anyway, those are some good ideas! Yeah, I doubt it'd be a thing in Japan with their history of natural disasters, but hey, consider pitching this to someone or something to collaborate on
 
Nov 5, 9:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
I hope no one minds me bumping this thread...

After finishing it last month, I find myself continuing to be very fond of Princess Tutu. It's as amazing as its fans say and I was easily entranced the whole time.
One thing that fascinated me about the anime (even before I had started watching it) was its inspirations—various fairy tales and ballet, as the premise easily brings comparisons to the fairy tale "The Ugly Duckling" and the famous ballet "Swan Lake"—and how the show referenced them. I was already sold on the fairy tale part, but I was also pleasantly surprised with some of the ways the show creatively refers to various fairy tales and ballet plays (many of which are ones I wasn't aware of until further reading, sorry I am a noob when it comes to ballet knowledge)...
The anime's selection of famous orchestral songs are even cleverly used!


...lemme just get to the point.
I think it would be nice to see more magical girl shows take more inspiration from or based off of fairy tales!
I realize that it would be nothing new for the genre (The Little Mermaid's pretty popular for adaptations/referencing even all the way back in the 70s), but I wanna see more shows that are as creative as Princess Tutu was with its approach to fairy tales and stuff...
 
Nov 8, 3:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 84
Like Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Thats a perfect Mahou-Shoujo show.
 
Nov 8, 9:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
KamisamaHatatan said:
Like Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Thats a perfect Mahou-Shoujo show.

How specifically so? I'd be interested to see what parts of that show you'd like to see more of in more magical girl titles in the future.
 
Nov 8, 9:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 734
Fario-P said:
KamisamaHatatan said:
Like Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Thats a perfect Mahou-Shoujo show.

How specifically so? I'd be interested to see what parts of that show you'd like to see more of in more magical girl titles in the future.


He's joking because in Kore wa Zombie desu ka? the MC (which is a guy) literally everytime he fights he wears Mahou Shoujo clothes for plot reasons

 
Nov 8, 9:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Kuro_Neko04 said:
Fario-P said:

How specifically so? I'd be interested to see what parts of that show you'd like to see more of in more magical girl titles in the future.

He's joking because in Kore wa Zombie desu ka? the MC (which is a guy) literally everytime the MC fights he is in Mahou Shoujo clothes for plot reasons

Oh I'm aware that the main character is like that in that show, it's just I'm pretty sure there's people who genuinely love this show and might want to see more like it, so I wanted to ask
 
Nov 8, 11:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 84
Why? Because the way this show made fun of the whole mahou shoujo genre is hilarious. If I would make the optimal mahou shoujo show it would be a parody.

Otherwise... Pretty Cure and Kamikaze Kaitô Jeanne were my youth and the best Mahou-Shoujo shows I know.
 
Nov 8, 11:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2113
The only good thing that can come of those silly costumes is evidently pornography.


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 8, 1:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1912
idk myself how I missed this thread
I haven't completely read other replies and idk if this is done before or not but some ideas come to my mind and sorry all of ideas can be made with only boys or being mixed genders.

First is making a battle royale anime with "groups" of magical girls fighting each other. Each group has 4-5 (just a random number) girls that they they have different magic powers (Actually we have different "types" of magical girls). For example one of them only have healing/supporting magics, one only have fight skills and one only have creating/changing things and other types that you can think about. Also we should have mana system.
Idk about the start or ending of it but this is a thing comes to my mind. The show starts with "training" arc and how the magical system works and each magical girl gets more powerful with training and then the "tournament" arc starts and we have our battle royale anime and probably the main characters' group will win the tournament and that's how it ends.
Pretty like a "battle shounen" anime but only with girls.


Another idea is just an adventure of magical girls in a fantasy world and the exploration of their world. It can be both lighthearted and being dark but myself prefer lighthearted series.


Another idea is magical girls working for an organization they think it's doing the justice. We have two big organizations and both of them because of being a magical girl show only featuring magical girls. And at first they fight with the second organization and eliminating them but after only remaining just the boss of second organization, the main characters confront with the boss and they find out that the organization their working for it is actually evil and wants to destroy the whole world and after this they managing to save the world.



Fario-P said:

By mana system, you mean like you want there to be defined restrictions/limits on their powers? Or were you just thinking of Magic Points (MP) lol

Restrictions not just magic points
Modified by mhkr, Nov 8, 11:43 PM
 
Nov 8, 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
hmmmm.... i love darker plotlines but i don't like over the top pointless suffering.... ESPECIALLY in magical girl anime...

i'd probably end up doing something with a relatively dark plotline but an overarching optimism?? if that makes sense. kiseijuu is something similar to what i'm thinking of.
 
Nov 8, 5:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 34
I've had this idea for a light-hearted magical girl anime movie for a little bit. A world where magical girls and magical boys are commonplace and both fight to be the better magical gender. Though, the boys and girls are forced to work together when an demonic threat plans to eliminate all magic and hope in the world. Parodies both light-hearted and "dark" magical girl anime. It sounds cliche but it's all I got atm.
Insert a neat little signature with an anime gif or something here.
 
Nov 8, 6:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 595
Great to see this thread is slowly being revived haha... alright I wanna reply so I gotta dissect all of this

-----
mhkr said:
I haven't completely read other replies and idk if this is done before or not but some ideas come to my mind and sorry all of ideas can be made with only boys or being mixed genders.

I'm pretty sure it could still be a thing, there's literally a magical girl parody where the group's just all boys

mkhr said:
First is making a battle royale anime with "groups" of magical girls fighting each other. Each group has 4-5 (just a random number) girls that they they have different magic powers (Actually we have different "types" of magical girls). For example one of them only have healing/supporting magics, one only have fight skills and one only have creating/changing things and other types that you can think about. Also we should have mana system.
Idk about the start or ending of it but this is a thing comes to my mind. The show starts with "training" arc and how the magical system works and each magical girl gets more powerful with training and then the "tournament" arc starts and we have our battle royale anime and probably the main characters' group will win the tournament and that's how it ends.
Pretty like a "battle shounen" anime but only with girls.

There has been a magical girl battle royale show before, but I'd love to see another attempt at this idea considering aforementioned show had some good character designs, but not that great of a plot.
By mana system, you mean like you want there to be defined restrictions/limits on their powers? Or were you just thinking of Magic Points (MP) lol

mkhr said:
Another idea is just an adventure of magical girls in a fantasy world and the exploration of their world. It can be both lighthearted and being dark but myself prefer lighthearted series.
Another idea is magical girls working for an organization they think it's doing the justice. We have two big organizations and both of them because of being a magical girl show only featuring magical girls. And at first they fight with the second organization and eliminating them but after only remaining just the boss of second organization, the main characters confront with the boss and they find out that the organization their working for it is actually evil and wants to destroy the whole world and after this they managing to save the world.

I like both of these ideas, but that last one could make for something really special! This kind of idea might be cool if they introduced something like a magical girl mafia here lol

-----
CosmicRobo said:
I've had this idea for a light-hearted magical girl anime movie for a little bit. A world where magical girls and magical boys are commonplace and both fight to be the better magical gender. Though, the boys and girls are forced to work together when an demonic threat plans to eliminate all magic and hope in the world. Parodies both light-hearted and "dark" magical girl anime. It sounds cliche but it's all I got atm.

Cliché or not I'd like to watch something like this heheh. Not only does your idea acknowledge those kinds of magical girl anime, but this also acknowledges the occasional "magical boy" in the genre, too.
 
Top