Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 20, 12:37 AM
What moment do you believe is the scariest sounding atmosphere within an anime?

Sep 20, 12:42 AM

The whole Higurashi series, and nothing can compare to that.

Sep 20, 2:21 AM

I would imagine any Vic Mignogna dub!

Sep 20, 2:28 AM

Yakusoku no Neverland

Sep 20, 3:37 AM

Some parts of Shiki as well as well as both it's specials. Probably the only anime I'm actually terrified to watch.
Stay Strong, KyoAni.

Sep 20, 5:38 AM

Shinsekai Yori, did its job really well

Sep 20, 5:39 AM

Tenshi no Tamago is pretty spine chilling.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ

Sep 20, 6:47 AM

Like other people in the thread, Higurashi and Tenshi no Tamago come to mind. So creepy and depressing. Ergo Proxy also made me uncomfortable.

Sep 20, 10:50 AM

Perfect Blue, Higurashi, Tenshi no Tamago. Best anime at creepy and surreal atmosphere.

Sep 20, 10:55 AM

shiki, to me is one of the best scary anime outhere
"I'm alright, because
The warmth on my back
Is from you, protecting me
My bent heart is being straightened out
I feel like I can keep on walking when I see your face
That time, I was able to gather my wishes and jump up
because of your words of encouragement"

Hanamaru◎Andante - Pastel✽Palettes

Sep 20, 10:58 AM
Monster and Higurashi nailed it the best I believe.

Sep 20, 11:07 AM
I know people hated it. But as a drama going into psychological mental shit teens goes through...Flowers of Evil. Might turn most teens off, but as a deeper and more mature series, go for it. ^^ the classroom scene is totally my favorite scene in anime ever.

Sep 20, 11:08 AM
FinNote said:
yas! XD it came out in my region on Netflix last week. Rewatching it as we speak!

Sep 20, 11:09 AM
blumenbalt said:
shiki, to me is one of the best scary anime outhere
it's like the one 8f few decent vampire series out there. Most people foud it slow. I loved the build-up!

Sep 20, 11:35 AM
Asides from the shows already mentioned there is also Casshern Sins and Texhnolyze

Sep 20, 11:36 AM

I just went through my watched list and pulled out everything with the horror tag: Akira, Elfen Lied, Happy Sugar Life, Higurashi, Berserk, Kiseijuu, Mononoke, Perfect Blue, Petshop of Horrors, and Shiki.

To me, most of those are not horror and the only ones at all scary in a conventional horror sense are the first season of Higurashi and Shiki.

Both are similar in the atmosphere they create actually. Both are set in rural villages/small towns isolated from the outside world, where an unseen force penetrated and may be trying to take over the town, and paranoia about whom you can trust.

I've posted before that I'm so desensitized to all forms of media after having seen so many shows and movies from a young age that I really can't consider anything scary anymore to me personally (whether in anime or outside of it), but the closest it's ever came for me are some individual scenes in season 1 of Higurashi and parts of Shiki.

Those were from: Friends with violent split personalities, fears of your own mental illness/schizophrenic-like hallucinations, or foreign objects or entities entering your body. And in Shiki's case, the dreaded fear around Kanemasa and how it looms over the whole town, how people are becoming prey like cows and no one seems to be doing anything about it or even daring to acknowledge it, and fear of your own home being entered into by predators/killers at will and not safe in your own bedroom with people lurking around the woods by your house.

If it just came down to one scene in isolate, it would probably be something from Higurashi S1, but I'd give the slight edge to Shiki overall, because it's maybe the only anime I've seen I would consider a pure horror throughout. Higurashi isn't really a horror once the scope of the story is broadened with season two, and once you know what's actually going on, it's difficult to see the same scenes in the same original light.

Shiki is pure straight horror throughout. You could also say drama, mystery, thriller, etc., but it's the only anime I've seen that seems to want to keep a tone of horror from beginning to end in that if it were a live action production, it would be billed and advertised first as a horror.

Sep 21, 11:55 AM
Meme Master

FinNote said:

+1. The way the music is integrated into the scenes is especially creepy.

I bought the Blu-ray box set. (Which has everything except for Kira, Kaku and some specials. Some of the series isn't horror at all, but I get your point.)

WatchTillTandava said:
If it just came down to one scene in isolate, it would probably be something from Higurashi S1, but I'd give the slight edge to Shiki overall, because it's maybe the only anime I've seen I would consider a pure horror throughout.

I liked Shiki, but it never disturbed me, whereas Higurashi disturbed me countless times.

Corpse Party: Tortured Souls has a "pure horror" vibe, plus it's one of the most violent anime.

Ghost Hunt only gets creepy on occasion, but it's a mystery horror anime I enjoyed.

Another had interesting death scenes, but relied too much on shock value, with an inconsistent atmosphere jumping from bland conversation to madness. Regardless, it's one of the titles that pops into my mind when thinking of horror anime.

The 3DCG Resident Evil (aka Biohazard) anime movie trilogy is entertaining action horror in my eyes. (And is way better than the American live action films.) Same goes for certain parts of Blood-C...but that anime is "so gory it's almost comical" as my brother put it.
Modified by SadMadoka, Sep 21, 12:00 PM

Sep 21, 12:13 PM

SadMadoka said:
I liked Shiki, but it never disturbed me, whereas Higurashi disturbed me countless times.

If I had to pick any individual scenes in any anime ever that scared or unsettled me the most to the extent I could be, it would be from season one of Higurashi. I just can't consider the anime as a whole a horror because it's more of a supernatural thriller as a whole when you take the whole show into account (since s1 is all setup and s2 goes in a very different direction).

So I would agree that Higurashi S1 had the scarier scenes than Shiki, but it's just that Shiki as a whole is more of a horror anime. The main genre it's going for is horror. Higurashi is a much larger story.

Sep 21, 12:19 PM
Meme Master

Ajobii said:
What moment do you believe is the scariest sounding atmosphere within an anime?

As for specific scenes, as you asked, it would be Shion vs Satoko and Rika in Higurashi. I cried more than once. I love all those characters so much, and seeing such horrible things happen, and in such a creepy way, broke my heart.

WatchTillTandava said:
If I had to pick any individual scenes in any anime ever that scared or unsettled me the most to the extent I could be, it would be from season one of Higurashi. I just can't consider the anime as a whole a horror because it's more of a supernatural thriller as a whole when you take the whole show into account (since s1 is all setup and s2 goes in a very different direction).

So I would agree that Higurashi S1 had the scarier scenes than Shiki, but it's just that Shiki as a whole is more of a horror anime. The main genre it's going for is horror. Higurashi is a much larger story.

That's true. I did mention some of Higurashi isn't horror at all. Shiki indeed has a more consistent tone. However, the clash between cutesy and terrifying in Higurashi is magic, in my opinion.

Sep 21, 12:24 PM

Those eps from Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant arc.. When they try to invade the palace where Meruem and his royal guard lives. Cuz of the extremely threatening situation in there, that pro hunter guy who's secretly making portals got nervous breakdown, traumatized and went bald after that. And Togashi did a great job on creating that level of intense atmosphere. One of the best intense/scariest atmospheres I've ever seen in anime/movies.

Sep 21, 12:42 PM

Ghost Hound had a pretty unsettling atmosphere

Sep 21, 1:05 PM

Ergo Proxy and ghost hound for me too! You can pretend Mushishi aswell if your on psychedelics or something.

Sep 21, 1:28 PM
Bored

Episode 5 of Flip Flappers was actually creepy.

QPR said:
I would imagine any Vic Mignogna dub!

Being alone in a room with Vic is a terrifying thought.

Sep 21, 1:31 PM

good portion of the perfect blue ost, but especially this track, makes me very uncomfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q606Eg6ZcZ8

Sep 21, 1:34 PM

it's one piece for me.

I use to watch it every week with my neighborg martin though the atmosphere was not because of the anime in itself but because of what martin did with me

Sep 21, 3:33 PM

Atmospheric anime as a whole.

Aoi bungaku series
Mouryou no Hako
Petshop of Horrors

Moments

Berserk (when Grifith's band gets sacrificed)
Drifters (female elf captives)

Sep 22, 8:30 AM

Perfect Blue is by far the most unsettling anime I've seen. A true psychological horror

Sep 22, 8:41 AM

As usual, Ghost Hunt doesn't get mentioned a lot.

Ghost Hunt wasn't scary all the way through, but the Bloodstained Labyrinth arc as well as the Doll House arc are some of the very best horror in the anime medium.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Sep 22, 10:08 PM
aidoru material

creepiest atmosphere i'd say nekojiru
scariest probably higurashi

some of the other anime with weird/creepy/melancholic atmospheres that i like:
mayoiga
mushishi
ghost hound
haibane renmei
denpa-teki na kanojo
shiki
boogiepop
jigoku shoujo
petshops of horror

Sep 22, 10:24 PM

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni is the most terrifying thing ever made. lol

The FIRST episode of Petshop of Horrors is pretty creepy...but I was disappoint by the rest of it.

Sep 23, 4:52 AM

raisin-kun said:
Some parts of Shiki as well as well as both it's specials. Probably the only anime I'm actually terrified to watch.

God the Shiki specials we're so hard to watch. Like Shiki in itself is already pretty despair inducing, and the specials just take it to a whole other level.

Sep 23, 5:35 AM

I got goosebumps watching Shinsekai Yori and stopped after 16 episodes. I'm still trying to pluck up my courage to finish the rest episodes because I want to defend my completionist title.

Sep 23, 8:13 AM

For example, Shinsekai Yori and Perfect Blue.
Life has no meaning.