Forum Settings
Forums

S Korean beer imports from Japan plunge 97%

New
Sep 18, 2019 4:08 AM

May 2018
SEOUL - South Korean imports of Japanese beer slumped almost to zero last month in the face of a consumer boycott sparked by a bitter trade and historical dispute between Seoul and Tokyo, data showed Monday.

Japanese companies shipped $223,000 worth of beer to South Korea in August, figures from the Korea Trade Statistics Promotion Institute showed -- down 97% from $7.57 million last year.

Before the trade spat -- which has raised concerns over ties between the neighbors, both of them U.S. allies -- Japanese beer had long been South Koreans' favorite alternative to their country's own brews, according to KTSPI, topping the import tables since 2010.

"Japan's rank dropped to the 13th place last month," an official from KTSPI told AFP, adding that beers from China, the Netherlands and Belgium now had the biggest shares of South Korea's imports.

Seoul and Tokyo have been embroiled in the trade dispute since July, when Japan tightened export controls on three chemicals essential to key products of South Korean tech companies such as Samsung.

The restrictions followed a series of South Korean court rulings ordering Japanese firms to pay for forced labor during WWII.

South Koreans have since mounted a widespread boycott of Japanese goods, including beer, cosmetic products and cars, among others.

Japanese automakers have also seen sales in South Korea slump in recent months.

South Korea and Japan are both democracies and market economies faced with an overbearing China and a nuclear-armed North Korea.

But relations between Tokyo, Beijing, and both Koreas continue to be heavily affected by Japan's expansionism in the first half of the 20th century, including its colonization of the peninsula.

© 2019 AFP

https://japantoday.com/category/business/no-more-for-me-s.-korean-beer-imports-from-japan-plunge-97
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 18, 2019 4:41 AM

Oct 2010
They should just stop fighting this senseless trade war. And japanese beer is very good, I always have an asahi in my fridge for Grand Blue manga readings.
Sep 18, 2019 5:07 AM

Feb 2010
Catalano said:
They should just stop fighting this senseless trade war. And japanese beer is very good, I always have an asahi in my fridge for Grand Blue manga readings.

I don't think trying to get Japan to acknowledge and make up for some of their WWII war crimes after all these years is 'senseless', in Europe that has already happened and germany never reacted by starting a trade war. And from what I can gather that's how the whole thing started. It's frankly ridiculous that Japan would start a trade war over historical facts like that so I'm firmly rooting for South Korea in this one.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 18, 2019 5:11 AM

Oct 2010
Pullman said:
Catalano said:

I don't think trying to get Japan to acknowledge and make up for some of their WWII war crimes after all these years is 'senseless', in Europe that has already happened and germany never reacted by starting a trade war. And from what I can gather that's how the whole thing started. It's frankly ridiculous that Japan would start a trade war over historical facts like that so I'm firmly rooting for South Korea in this one.

I think the koreans over exagerate, japan already payed money and did fair play stuff. I call for both sides to stop and think for a minute, and try to fix things.
Sep 18, 2019 7:18 AM

Mar 2011
Hm, now that is a display of social solidarity..
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 18, 2019 7:25 AM

Mar 2018
Catalano said:
Pullman said:

I think the koreans over exagerate, japan already payed money and did fair play stuff. I call for both sides to stop and think for a minute, and try to fix things.
Totaly agree with catalano's point. They should end this before it escalates further.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 18, 2019 7:29 AM

Jan 2009
Silverstorm said:

as they say its Asian collectivism vs Western individualism

but collectivism at times promotes this tribalism mentality though "us vs them" that can trigger nationalism movements like this
Sep 18, 2019 7:34 AM

Mar 2011
heg said:
Silverstorm said:

but collectivism at times promotes this tribalism mentality though "us vs them" that can trigger nationalism movements like this
Definently can see it here, but I wonder why some users say Japan already paid--I'm not versed in Korean 20th century history as good as other nations, do you know what Catalano is speaking about?
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 18, 2019 7:37 AM

Jan 2009
Silverstorm said:
heg said:

Definently can see it here, but I wonder why some users say Japan already paid--I'm not versed in Korean 20th century history as good as other nations, do you know what Catalano is speaking about?

nope all i know is that Japan is still seen as bad by a lot of asian countries due to their past imperialism and those comfort women incidents
Sep 18, 2019 8:04 AM

Oct 2010
Japan payed money to Korea because of their wrong doings in the war. And they had an agreement signed by both sides in the 70s or so, the agreement stated that korea will stop talking smack and get over it. I'm on my phone and it's a pain ro post a link, please search something about it on the net.
Sep 18, 2019 9:38 AM

Sep 2009
Trade wars really hurt many businesses...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.