Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 18, 3:29 AM

I've played Fire Emblem:

Genealogy of the Holy War (the 1st half)
Thracia 776 (some of it)
Binding Blade
Blazing Sword
Awakening
Fates
Echoes

3 Houses has:
-The most amount of content of any Fire Emblem game I've played or looked up
-Plenty of replay value, since it has 3 routes (+ a secret 4th route)
-A huge quantity of support conversations that all (at least the ones I've unlocked) have very organic, deep, conversations.
-Fantastic characters with varied personalities who don't come off as too gimmicky like in Awakening and Fates which makes the waifus better than before.
-A huge amount of classes, and more class tiers than ever before.
-A great and engaging story.

What do you guys think?
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Sep 18, 6:17 AM

I've played from FE6 upwards, including the remake of previous games like Shadow Dragon and Echoes and I think it's the best Fire Emblem they have made.

Graphically is the best (I mean compared to the others, in comparison to what other games can do it looks pretty bad), soundtrack is kinda decent, story is interesting with a couple of twists and turns, characters are engaging, rich amounts of content in one route and 4 routes to choose from overall making the game extremely replayable. The story is not the best, but at least is not "king from the most powerful country is being mindcontrolled by evil sorcerer/dragon/just a dick on a powertrip" again.

I never particularly held the series in high regard, since I think the gameplay is just okay, characters were mostly one dimensional stereotypes and the plot was really generic, downright bad or copypasted from previous entries to an absurd degree, but I believe this one was actually pretty nice, it shows effort instead of cutting the game in 3 and selling each separately like Fates did. I don't think there is any point in playing the previous games after this one, it just does everything the others do, but is bigger and better, which was a pleasant surprise given how awful it looked prior to the timeskip reveal.
Modified by GoldenSaltPillar, Sep 18, 6:23 AM

Sep 18, 11:40 AM

I haven't played it enough to say for sure but for what i've played I would rate it as:

1. Path of Radiance
2. Three houses
3. Sacred Stones

Though Visually and player freedom Three houses is by far the best.

Sep 18, 1:06 PM

I like it, and it's a pretty great game, but I still prefer FE3,4, and 7 tbh.

Some annoyances:

-Part 1 is pretty much the same on whatever route you take
-A lot of the villains seemed wasted
-Monastery becomes repetitive after a few months
-Quests are pointless
-Silent protag made the "emotional" moments way less emotional, lol.
-No unique combat arts animations?

Sep 18, 1:09 PM

Pros:
- much less annoying avatar character
- better customization and management of units thanks to lectures
- lots of different characters
- freedom to explore the monastery and talk to characters increases immersion
- four routes to choose from

Cons:
- cutscenes are ugly as fuck, far worse than the DS ones
- story is terrible (though I am not weighting this heavily since I've only finished the BE Edelgard route)
- maps aren't that good and are often recycled in paralogue battles, etc.
- first half of every route seems to be the same, which makes it boring and a chore to go through
- this is mostly subjective, but I couldn't really get attached to the characters

Overall I do think it is the best, though. I actually liked the setting and characters better in the Tellius series, Awakening, and even Fates, but the other aspects of Three Houses makes up for these deficiencies.

What's the difference?

Sep 18, 2:26 PM

i like the characters and gameplay, but the story does leave much to be desired. especially with how railroaded it is.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Sep 18, 2:34 PM

@Daemon

Why did you think Edelard's story route was terrible?

hazarddex said:
i like the characters and gameplay, but the story does leave much to be desired. especially with how railroaded it is.

Why do you think the story was lackluster? What do you mean by how "railroad" the game is?
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Sep 18, 2:51 PM

AbsurdistOtaku said:
@Daemon

hazarddex said:

Why do you think the story was lackluster? What do you mean by how "railroad" the game is?

most my complaints have to do with the numerous plot holes the 3 different routes have post time skip.

like the fact that.

attempted to kill themselves with bandits at the start of the game.

or that Demirit leaves
alive to allow them to come up again and cause the same tragedy to repeat.

where sothis

the fact that the

the fact that a supposedly

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Sep 18, 3:05 PM

I think which game you prefer depends greatly on what aspects of the franchise you enjoy the most. For example, I favor heavily interesting gameplay and map design. This is why my favorite FE is Fates: Conquest, even if the story is garbage. Meanwhile, my boyfriend's favorite is Radiant Dawn.

To me I feel like 3H simplifies the mechanics too much (no weapon triangle or Fates style pair-up). It also bloats the game with boring side activities that eat away my time when I could be fighting armies, not to mention before Maddening was released the game was sleep-inducingly easy even at the highest difficulty. Additionally, the story was way too episodic before the second half. Oh, and the class balance is bonkers.

Of course, this is just me explaining why it isn't my favorite, but I still liked it. For example, I think the character writing and support conversations are the best in the series.
My condolences to KyoAni #PrayForKyoani

Sep 18, 3:11 PM

I can't speak in that matter as it is my only Fire Emblem up to date that I have played but I sure hope not that it is the best.

The pros I can think of:
At the second half the story gets better significantly
All battle oriented songs from the soundtrack, especially Apex of the World
Dimitri's character arc
In harder fights (or difficulties), the battles can be really interesting+tactical
The way the devs tackled New Game+ is great

The cons:
Part 1 drags, it drags a lot. And if you have the guts to play all three (four?) routes, then have fun doing the same stuff three times...
The battle system needs to grow on you, as a Disgaea enthusiast it still took quite some time for me to like it.
The social aspect is just okay (sometimes boring). That's subjective, I know, but I get more fun out of the social links from Persona games.

I'm now on my third playthrough (Claude's route), Chapter 3 of Part 2. Don't really like it that much (as I've the feeling that I've experienced most out of the game through Dimitri's and Edelgard's route) but I'll play through it nonetheless.

In my eyes, it's a 7/10 game so once again, I sure hope it's not the best FE. But if the resonance for the game is in high regards, that's good for the franchise I guess.

Sep 19, 10:05 AM

AbsurdistOtaku said:
@Daemon

What's the difference?

Sep 19, 11:18 AM

Daemon said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:
@Daemon

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Sep 19, 12:03 PM

(I've only fully played the GD route)

When it comes to the story and the characters, I would say it's my favorite FE game. As for the gameplay aspect, I had more fun with Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. I don't like the limited amount of classes we have and there is no way to endlessly play with your party. Despite all of that, I'm more of a story person than a gameplay person, so...

This is how I would rank the FE games I've played:
1. FE3H
2. FE Awakening (nostalgia)
3. FE Echoes
4. FE Fates

Sep 19, 3:10 PM

Have you played TearRing Saga then? Try that lol

Sep 19, 9:23 PM

Maybe it's a recency bias thing with how people are saying Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game, but I've yet to play TH so I can't say yet. It'll be hard to beat Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, or Binding Blade for me.
"If you died, would anyone care? Would they really care? Maybe, they'd cry for a day. But, let's be honest no one would give a shit. They wouldn't. The few people that would feel obligated to go to your funeral would probably be annoyed and leave as early as possible. That's who you are. That's what you are. You are nothing to anyone. To everyone."
-Mr. Robot

"I can take another name, and build a new life.. But on the inside I'll always have that instinct, no matter how much I hate it. I'm yakuza through and through. Guile only gets you so far in this game. Remember that. You won't get another chance."
-Kiryu Kazuma

Sep 19, 9:36 PM

-Mae- said:
(I've only fully played the GD route)

When it comes to the story and the characters, I would say it's my favorite FE game. As for the gameplay aspect, I had more fun with Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. I don't like the limited amount of classes we have and there is no way to endlessly play with your party. Despite all of that, I'm more of a story person than a gameplay person, so...

This is how I would rank the FE games I've played:
1. FE3H
2. FE Awakening (nostalgia)
3. FE Echoes
4. FE Fates

How are the class amounts limited? Maybe compared to Fates they are, but especially compared to Echoes, I don't think so.
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Sep 23, 2:31 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a big fan of the Fire Emblem franchise in general. I've played either the official or fan translated versions of every single game (since the early ones were never released outside of Japan). And I do think there are some elements that Three Houses does better than any other game in the franchise.

The first is building a world outside of battles. Fates gave you a small, isolated base where you could do a couple things. Three Houses gave you a much larger base that's densely populated to feel more lively and affords you a lot more things to do.

The second is the upgrade trees. I appreciate that each character in 3 Houses has a good amount of variety in which master classes they can go for and specific level/weapon goals to reach them.

The third is the ultimate supports. I appreciate that you choose your avatar's S-rank support at the end of the game, thereby eliminating the increasingly desperate ways they've been justifying grown children joining the party. I also appreciate that the other units in your group will pair up on their own instead of you as the player having to fully babysit the relationships of your units. It makes it feel like they have more agency.

The fourth is the way the routes are handled. And I'm not talking just the numerical "you get four, that's more than any other game." I'm talking about the way you get time to interact with and get to know all the characters before things go badly and war breaks out. Fates tried to do something similar, but 3 Houses just executed it so much better.

Finally, I like that 3 Houses took a step closer to having more equitable LGBT options. I've been arguing since Awakening that if they're going to open the flood gates and let you do basically whatever with your avatar unit's het options they should do the same with LGBT options. 3 Houses doesn't just up the number of options from two in Fates to seven, but they also give you some for your other units. Like Petra & Dorothea can end the game as a couple. Yes, they don't go as far as I'd have liked, but it's closer to equitable.