Forum Settings
Forums

Criticisms of specific anime you disagree with?

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Sep 19, 6:26 AM

Not the anime, but Usagi Drop manga ending. I thought it was fine. Sure, the part till Rin is still a child, and even some of the kouki-rin story was more interesting, but the transition to its ending, as the mangaka chose to do it, was also natural and didn't feel abhorrent at all, like it does to most "Occidentals"

Sep 19, 7:23 AM

Vazka said:
wtf OP? Obviously you thought the beginning of Steins Gate was a good hook and interesting if it's a rewatch. You already know what's going to happen, and you aren't confused about anything, so obviously you'd enjoy it more. Same thing with what you said about Fate Zero.

The first time I watched Steins; Gate was when I was a kid. Probably 12? I dropped it after like, 2 episodes. The second time I watched Steins; Gate was when I was much older, probably 17.
I don't understand why you'd need to know what's going to happen to enjoy the 1st ep of Fate/Zero.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Sep 19, 9:34 AM

Oh, one I forgot to mention is in HxH when people complain about the narrator in the Chimera Ant arc, even though it's a very obvious stylistic choice.

Sep 19, 9:38 AM

Thanjh said:
People saying Death Note got bad after
but I was still as interested and enjoyed it just as much as before.

My experience with the remainder of Death Note was about the same.

Sep 19, 9:46 AM

It's recently come to my attention that a good many people think Revue Starlight is boring??

I can't even begin to understand that opinion. I almost feel like we weren't watching the same show. The only explanation I have is that these are people who hate anything slice of life in general (a mindset I also can't get behind,) so they dislike all the slice of life segments of the show and are only there for the fight scenes. And don't get me wrong, the revues are great. But like... c'mon now.

Sep 19, 10:13 AM
That Ergo Proxy is boring. It absolutely is not and it ain't for people who prefer slice of life/ecchi/comedy series. I will admit, the ending leaves something to be desired but that's it's only negative.

Sep 19, 10:40 AM

In a few instances there have been those that criticize Steins Gate for being a harem. Which I disagree with because that anime isn't a harem to begin with by any definition. Nor if it it was, does that suddenly make it a worse show.

Only things I've seen people criticize Hunter X Hunter for is a slow start and asspulls. I agree with the slow start. However, people often don't even know what an asspull is and label stuff that doesn't fit the criteria. There is only one in the entire show.

The dumbest criticism that I disagree with the most was in a review of Haikyuu that criticized it for explaining basic concepts in volleyball.. As if 99% of the population knows the intricacies of that niche sport.. That'd be like me someone who played basketball complaining about Kuroko no Basket explaining what a pump fake and isolation is.

Sep 19, 11:05 AM
[/quote]
I mean, everyone is allowed to, but others could critize it and I normally hate glorified, abusive relationships.
But... that thing is innocent? So I thought the criticism, which came from many corners, is overdone, all over the place and especially misses the point of the series. [/quote]

I agree, its fair to criticize stories for being too edgy. I personally HATE the fruit of grisaia. I think its an edge fest the whole way through. Things like rape, murder and cannibalism happen sporadically throughout the series for very little reason other than shock value.

But nowadays people are willing to detract points from a series if it has something they personally have a grudge with. Heres an example. Royalty would marry off their children to older men in medival days to gain power. It was normal to marry a 13 year old to a 40 year old. I think thats a bad thing obviously. But if a show wants to have more realism and to be accurate to their time period then its not a bad thing if you include something like that.

It all depends on how its done. If it's done in an interesting and well written way I will praise it. If its done in a way that is only there for shock value then I will hate it.

Sep 19, 11:05 AM

I really dislike the criticism on Queen's Artist on the ending that is particularly common. The series committed the crime of having a teenage male character not coupled with another character at the end and this is apparently "n.t.r." now because a series with four main characters decides to have two of them end up together, neither thereof being the sole teenage male.

Self-insert readers are the worst and why we can't have nice things. I loved that it had a "yuri ending" without "yuri" being the overall focus of the series. Two of the four main characters just ended up together and they were both female; normally that only happens be it the focus of the entire series, so I like the bold move of this author, but apparently a large part of the audience can't handle that the character they need to "self-insert" into was left without love at the end even though that character clearly had no real desire for it to begin with and merely wanted to succeed as a comic book artist, and was well on his way to do so.
Modified by Sphinxter, Sep 19, 2:13 PM

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

Sep 19, 1:08 PM
I didn't like shirobako that much. Many people enjoy it, saying its kawaii and stuff. Say it shows a lot about the business. But I found it awfully full of itself, and not really telling. Yes I only watched 12 episodes, but that is enough for me to say I didn't enjoy the first half.
Oh wow I really like Dostoevsky, and let me criticize her voice acting to show I know a lot about it. That quite got on my nerve for whatever reason, them making the characters, and in turn the writers pretending to be smart.

Sep 19, 4:59 PM

ShadowMonkey said:
Any shounen criticized for being a shounen

True that. It's a part of a genre and does not mean its bad. Hate on an anime for being a bad shounen instead.

Sep 19, 6:41 PM

I also disagree with people who say the first half of Steins;Gate was boring. It was important setup for events that would happen in the show later, and pretty exciting in its own right.

Also the criticism that Kill la Kill has "too much ecchi" and that being something that ruins the show. I completely disagree with that one, Kill la Kill had amazing character development and depth of story whether people liked the fanservice or not
Nothing triggers a Rem fan like explaining how Emilia is better in every way

Sep 19, 8:54 PM

Akame Ga Kills ending was satisfying for me.

Sep 19, 8:58 PM

Just about any time anyone calls anything over-rated, I dismiss that, because it says literally nothing about the actual quality of the show.

I've heard people call Monster boring and slow-paced. I don't know how one could get that impression, since lives are on the line from the first episode on.

I've heard people call Madoka anti-feminist, misogynistic and dis-empowering. Which, given how the series ends, is... puzzling.

Some people apparently hated the ending of Samurai Champloo, but I felt it fit the series perfectly, and is one of the more emotionally powerful endings I've seen in an anime.

One really strange criticism I've heard directed at Elfen Lied is that the characters are too happy. I guess this person just really, really wanted them to break down and become miserable and apathetic in the face of trauma? Also, people who criticize the series for being overly 'edgy'. In my opinion, it goes out of its way to balance the darkness out with humor and tender moments. Also, people who complain about Nyu's Pokemon Speech, which is just... I don't get that at all. Why is that a problem?

Oh, back in high school I heard someone say they hated Cowboy Bebop because it feels too much like an action movie, and needs to have super-powers. This one came from a hardcore Naruto fan.

People who complain about EVA's Shinji Ikari are basically a meme by now. Because apparently when a traumatized teenager expresses anxiety and fear, he's a whiner. Really don't get that one.

FLCL Alternative seems to get hate simply for being a follow-up to FLCL. Both sequels have been accused of being nostalgia bait and cash-grab, and while I feel Progressive was unworthy as sequel, Alternative is, in my opinion, every bit as good as the original. It doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Progressive.

Recently I heard someone say that in Dragon Ball Z, Buu's Candy Beam is stupid. That one technique was one of my favorite things in the entire series, and the reason Buu was my favorite villain. It's rather terrifying how he can just bypass the power level stuff all-together and one-shot practically anyone. I may have plenty of criticisms of the series, but that's not one of them.

That's about all I can think of for the moment.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider

Sep 19, 10:40 PM

YossaRedMage said:
Ergo Proxy is pretentious.

That's a matter of perspective and interpretation. Many people enjoy EP for the atmosphere, the art, the direction, and the sound design which are all very high quality. The weird, seemingly-convoluted, vague story shouldn't be overanalyzed. Just relax and soak in the mysterious tone and dark atmosphere, and you might enjoy EP.

I have to say, I just completed my watch of Ergo Proxy for the first time the other day, and there was something nested inside of me expecting to hate it at any moment for the aura surrounding the show where I'd seen it derided as basically being a poor man's Lain, and to my surprise/delight, I ended up loving it. It was actually told in a lot more straightforward manner than something like Lain (it's more like Eva if anything, out of the big name series that are known for the psychological element). It's enough to have a show that feels like a unique world and not the same rehashed high school setting, and this show defines that, but the plot wasn't incoherent nonsense either.

The only part I wasn't thrilled about was some of the dialogue around the lore of the Proxies, which I thought could've been better explained/more fleshed out, but other than that, it didn't come off as pretentious but one of the most ambitious shows out there in everything it tried to tackle. I haven't seen a Cyberpunk combined with neo-Gothic aesthetic and background music before in anime or anywhere else, and nor a show with some of these lofty themes stop to have actual characterization of its main characters and even a Slice of Life episode. It wasn't a bullet train marathon to the finish line, but more of an experience that washed over you. Even suspecting that, I still expected it to have a lot less substance going in than it ultimately did from the way people commonly talk about it, but it was very substantive too.

The best parts to me were some of the later episodes (the SoL bottle episode, Pino's dream, etc.) others write off as meandering rubbish. Earned a solid 9 from me, and I'd still argue until I'm blue it's more accessible than SEL which it's often compared to just for being more narratively conventional (even if I prefer SEL), but it seems like it was made with the full knowledge that a sizable segment of viewers would hate it because it just covers too many different things not to be hated and turn off a lot of the audience.
Modified by WatchTillTandava, Sep 19, 10:46 PM

Sep 20, 9:41 AM
Akame ga kill was for me really good.

And Tokyo ghoul suck as an adaptation but as an anime is not bad.

Sep 21, 7:48 PM

WatchTillTandava said:
YossaRedMage said:
Ergo Proxy is pretentious.

That's a matter of perspective and interpretation. Many people enjoy EP for the atmosphere, the art, the direction, and the sound design which are all very high quality. The weird, seemingly-convoluted, vague story shouldn't be overanalyzed. Just relax and soak in the mysterious tone and dark atmosphere, and you might enjoy EP.

I have to say, I just completed my watch of Ergo Proxy for the first time the other day, and there was something nested inside of me expecting to hate it at any moment for the aura surrounding the show where I'd seen it derided as basically being a poor man's Lain, and to my surprise/delight, I ended up loving it. It was actually told in a lot more straightforward manner than something like Lain (it's more like Eva if anything, out of the big name series that are known for the psychological element). It's enough to have a show that feels like a unique world and not the same rehashed high school setting, and this show defines that, but the plot wasn't incoherent nonsense either.

The only part I wasn't thrilled about was some of the dialogue around the lore of the Proxies, which I thought could've been better explained/more fleshed out, but other than that, it didn't come off as pretentious but one of the most ambitious shows out there in everything it tried to tackle. I haven't seen a Cyberpunk combined with neo-Gothic aesthetic and background music before in anime or anywhere else, and nor a show with some of these lofty themes stop to have actual characterization of its main characters and even a Slice of Life episode. It wasn't a bullet train marathon to the finish line, but more of an experience that washed over you. Even suspecting that, I still expected it to have a lot less substance going in than it ultimately did from the way people commonly talk about it, but it was very substantive too.

The best parts to me were some of the later episodes (the SoL bottle episode, Pino's dream, etc.) others write off as meandering rubbish. Earned a solid 9 from me, and I'd still argue until I'm blue it's more accessible than SEL which it's often compared to just for being more narratively conventional (even if I prefer SEL), but it seems like it was made with the full knowledge that a sizable segment of viewers would hate it because it just covers too many different things not to be hated and turn off a lot of the audience.

Always great to hear people enjoying Ergo Proxy!

I... guess I can kind of see the Lain comparison. Because of the somewhat vague, convoluted plot. But you're right to say about the difference in accessability. I'd argue it's hugely more accessible. EP has a definite central plot which one can follow easily enough without worrying about the details or the lore. Lain has a plot, but show me someone who claims to have understood what happened in Lain the first time they watched it, and I'll show you a bullshitter.

I think your use of the word "ambitious" is very apt. We need more anime like that, but for some reason there is a huge chunk of people who just can't deal with anime that try to do things differently, and I worry about less and less ambitious projects being made these days.

I loved the bottle episode too! Might be my favourite from the series. That whole section in the middle (after they leave the camp and before returning to the city) is amazing. So atmospheric, experimental, and they really took their time with everything. There was this great feeling of barren-ness which the art and the music really brough to life. But then there are these little oases (I assume that's the plural of oasis...) of "stuff happening" (for want of better phrasing) along the way with the gameshow, the dream, the people at war, and that guy with the.. fake city? It's been a while.

And then there is the OP and ED which are both absolutely prefect for the show. Unbelievably good choices of songs. I never skipped either.

Man, it's been a while since I waxed poetical about EP. I love that anime.
Lastest Blog Post: Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Watching: Araburu
Reading: Axanael (VN)
Weeklies: Choyoyu, Saikoro Club, Gekihatsu Boy, Cautious Hero, Rifle is Beautiful, Honzuki, Noukin
Recently Finished: HenSuki (3), Takagi-san 2 (7), Machikado Mazoku (5), Stargazer (VN)(8), Kanata no Astra (7), High Score Girl: Extra Stage (8), UchiMusume (6), Granbelm (9)

Girl: Anna Fugo (Granbelm)

Sep 21, 7:57 PM

I've genuinely heard people say they don't like Digimon Tamers just because the Adventure cast isn't in it.

That is so completely and utterly asinine but this is the most common complaint about the series I've seen, and many refuse to watch it at all because of this. It's your fucking loss if you refuse to watch what is easily one of the best things to come out of Digimon just because Tai isn't in it. :/

I also hear some people talk shit about the Card Slash/Digimodify, but I think it's easily the best gimmick Digimon ever had, because it allowed for the human characters to actually take an active role in the battles instead of just being glorified cheerleaders, and added more variety to how fights played out.
Modified by HeruruMeruru, Sep 21, 8:01 PM

Sep 21, 7:57 PM

Some people think "Samurai Champloo" doesn't hold up to "Cowboy Bebop" (an earlier work by the same director), because it is "more limited in scope". I think it's the other way round, SC is awesomely stylish, and successfully merges rap aesthetics with Edo times; on the other hand, "film noir plus space opera" seems kinda clumsily executed in CB. Also, "bounty hunters in space" has been done to utter exhaustion in the Star Wars franchise.
(But I have only watched 4 episodes of CB so far, I'll watch a little more.)

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]