Forum Settings
Forums

Why doesn't your Mean Score stabilize at a high point?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Sep 17, 3:01 PM

HisokaxMeruem said:
Luchse said:
You do know that people can like a certain show but still give it a low score. People with a score of 6 and up need to stop and ask themselves "Hey does this anime deserve such a high mark?" and go around lowering scores for the ones that do not deserve it. Speaking of anime that do not deserve such a high score, Mirai Nikki. I for the love of god fail to understand how could you give that dumpster fire a score of 10.

Its simple, it was literally one of the first 5 anime I watched when I just started beside the stuff on TV and binged through it all. I am not going to go back and rewatch it just to give it another score, I dont rate my anime to please elitists.
I mean you have a mean score of barely above 5, that means nearly everything you watch is just average, why bother wasting time on stuff thats average when there is actual good stuff?
Allright I get it. FMAB was one of the first anime I watched and I keept a high score for it. I'll give an example about that time wasting on average stuff. First two seasons of Tokyo Ghoul. I absolutely adore them but they are such trash that me giving it a score of 5 is too high. So me giving something a score of 5 or lower doesn't always mean that there is no enjoyment to be had in it.

“Dream - The first thing people abandon when they come to understand how this world works.”

Sep 17, 3:26 PM

Because a handful of the anime I watch end up being bad or mediocre, and I like to actually watch stuff to decide whether I enjoy them or not.

Sep 17, 5:18 PM
I blame seasonals. You can research as much as you want, it won't really help you predict how good something is before it has aired. Especially if you want to catch hidden gems and more obscure, niche shows you just have to try out a LOT of seasonals and the probability is hight hat you won't like some or even a lot of them.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Sep 17, 7:18 PM
to be honest, I do research and find that bad anime. I add it to my list so that my mean scores can get lower. I've seen people think that higher mean score means he is a dumb. Don't get offended.

Sep 17, 8:22 PM

I'll watch pretty much anything and everything. Good or bad doesn't matter to me. I just like expanding my knowledge on the medium. I particularly like seeking out extremely bad anime. It's worth it sometimes.

It makes sense why one would want to avoid bad anime like the plague, but I don't believe it's a great way to do things. What someone thinks is bad is an important factor in forming and showing their taste. You know what you like and don't, but if someone else looks at your list and it's all just shows you like, then the whole picture isn't there. It's like missing puzzle pieces. The more bad shows you watch, the better you get at picking apart visuals, writing, themes, aesthetics, originality, etc. That's why I don't see why people are afraid to give bad scores or watch a bad show.

I'm pretty confident in knowing what I like by now. I can usually tell if I'll think a show is good or bad before even watching it just from basic information like the synopsis, staff, studio, pictures, and teasers. Very rarely does an anime surprise me.

Sep 17, 8:45 PM
I always rate an anime higher than 6, if i watch an anime i don't like, i just drop and not rate it

Sep 17, 8:51 PM

IpreferEcchi said:
Imaishi said:
Watching a bad anime is not a mistake and doesn't even have to be bad experience.
And I don't know, I can't magically predict whether the anime is good or bad before watching it, I have shows I like and dislike from all genres.

Luchse said:
I won't know if something is good or not until I watch it so there are bound to be some trash shows out there that will make my mean avg cry in pain.

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
What research? I'll watch anything that looks mildly interesting.

What else can I do, trust the MAL score?

You see what people are saying about it at the trade off of spoiling part of it so you know if it has something that will piss you off like other shows.

I don't care if I know a pretty significant plot point in advance, because the stuff in between I don't know, and the little things are meaningful to me.

But if the plot point is something I don't like, then I know to avoid it.

Why do you read spoiler? That's not something anyone would do. Who gives a shit about other's opinions on the anime, it's yours that matter
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.

Sep 18, 2:24 AM

My mean score is relatively high, and i do liked my fair bit of anime that are below "7" rating.

Watching "bad" anime is honestly, pretty entertaining in their own right. I like discussing or just joking around about it. A wise man also once said that "How can you appreciate the good when you don't know the bad" and i'm living my life following that advice
"This is boring...I'm bored..."

Sep 18, 2:56 AM

It's funny when somebody is trying to push his/her own scoring system as the only valid one.

Sep 18, 3:11 AM

There's nothing wrong with watching a bad anime sometimes. You gotta get that contrast.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Sep 18, 5:04 AM

IpreferEcchi said:
When you watch bad anime, shouldn't you learn from your mistakes and do some research before watching next time? Then avoid anime you know you will score poorly?
You assume a lower rating implies dislike, which is not true. For some formats, such as shorts and short episode series, and some genres such as ecchi and art house, there is a glass ceiling.

I really enjoyed an ecchi I rated 4, or an experimental short rated 7. And given I watch quite a few shorts and short series, my rating average really went low to a concerning degree. I may have to think about a better way to compare apples and oranges.

Sep 18, 5:05 AM

I tend to watch anime that I enjoy as a result my mean score is relatively high.
I rarely watch bad anime to completion, if it's bad it will get dropped.
I also avoid watching anime that I know I'm not going to like, since the main point of anime for me is enjoyment and entertainment.

X s t a s y

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”
―Cheshire Cat

Sep 18, 9:11 AM

Mean score below 5 is a sin. Dropping anime is an action that must be taken sometimes. I cringed more at users with ridiculously low mean score with certain purposes than i did in my experience with tasteless seasonal anime fan with mean score near 9.

Sep 18, 10:31 AM

To point out that I am trash, and so is anime.

Sep 18, 10:37 AM

IpreferEcchi said:
When you watch bad anime, shouldn't you learn from your mistakes and do some research before watching next time?

Then avoid anime you know you will score poorly?

I've watched a lot of great shows, and at this point have watched many of the "classics" that interest me. Now I give 10-15 shows per season a shot while watching some older anime. As a result, my mean score has slowly been dwindling; After watching all of the classic my score was somewhere are around 8.15 but now its around 7.3 because I watch some many shows and most of them are very average.

Sep 18, 1:02 PM
VMC President

One of the reason is because I actually did get some enjoyment most of the shows I rated from 4 to 6 (sometimes you just feel like watching some good old isekai no matter how generic it might be) I really start hating from 3 and below. And also sometimes you really can't tell if a show would be good or not no matter how experienced you think you might be. It can be from a genre you've fairly enjoyed so far, a studio whose work you've been an absolute fan of and feature one of your favourite VAs but still be complete doodoo (cough) nisekoi (cough)
Modified by JoyBoy_316, Sep 18, 1:06 PM

Sep 18, 4:44 PM

IpreferEcchi said:
When you watch bad anime, shouldn't you learn from your mistakes and do some research before watching next time?

Research? Sure, reading animes description and tags is pretty useful, however it's just a small hint.

b-but tell me senpai, how the fuck am i supposed to know if I'm gonna enjoy shit or not if I didn't even start watching it? avoid shounen tag, or should I call the clairvoyant right away instead?

Btw my mean score decreases every month no matter what im watching. magic

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 19, 4:40 AM
△☹▽

Can't know it's bad until I watch it, and i don't like dropping anime

Sep 19, 4:46 AM

Because I use the whole scale from 1 to 10 and I can't predict what anime I'll like and which ones I'll dislike. I also don't drop anime, so I rate everything in the end.
I'm pretty statisfied with my mean score though, as long as it stays between 5 and 6.

Sep 19, 2:16 PM

Sometimes it's nice to watch otherwise stupid shit. I'm enjoying Tejina Senpai, but would never score it higher than a 6.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127

Sep 19, 3:24 PM

IpreferEcchi said:
My mean score is a little below my "like" rating. I don't know whether you consider that "a high point". For the record, I basically record everything I've watched, though I don't rate everything, but I do rate many things I've finished, as well as some things I've dropped.

IpreferEcchi said:
That oversimplifies what it means to "watch bad anime". Sometimes, there's a show that has some things I like and some things I dislike. Maybe I overall dislike it but still enjoyed the parts that I like.

IpreferEcchi said:
I already do this through choosing what to watch in the first place. I naturally gravitate to shows that have aspects I already like.

Sep 19, 5:43 PM

Because I'm a meanie weenie who hates everything. Grr, grr.

Sep 19, 7:06 PM

Some people learn to love bad anime since the more anime you watch the fewer good anime are left. I personally find it fun watching through whatever happens to appeal to me and just hoping it will be good, or even intentionally watching bad anime because it's what I'm currently in the mood for.

Oct 17, 5:38 PM

karkki_ said:

No, bro. Your preferences are just ridiculously weird and trippy, that’s why. Lmao xD

But then again, I kinda have somewhat weird tastes, too.

Oct 17, 6:13 PM

Ryuseishun said:
karkki_ said:

No, bro. Your preferences are just ridiculously weird and trippy, that’s why. Lmao xD

To each their own, I suppose. All that matters is that we both acknowledge that 5D's is a masterpiece.

Oct 17, 6:16 PM

karkki_ said:
Ryuseishun said:

To each their own, I suppose. All that matters is that we both acknowledge that 5D's is a masterpiece.

Oh yea, by far. That was objectively the best thing the Ygo franchise had to offer xD

Oct 17, 6:20 PM

Some people force themselves to finish a show,I did that too before but now I drop shows that I'm not enjoying anymore and my drop list will probably reach around 200 in 5 years or so.
One Piece is the Best Selling Manga in History.

Oct 17, 6:22 PM

Yeah. I view a low median score as a sign that you're doing a bad job at being selective. I give my current median score a D+. Could be better.

Oct 17, 6:23 PM

Ryuseishun said:
karkki_ said:

Oh yea, by far. That was objectively the best thing the Ygo franchise had to offer xD

Indeed. Anyone who thinks differently is objectively incorrect and should get punished by stoning.

Oct 17, 6:24 PM

1. genre and other such descriptions are usually not indicative of quality
2. the general consensus opinion will not always match yours
3. the more good shows you watch, obviously the less good shows you have left to watch

Oct 17, 6:36 PM

Dunkey, why are you reviewing something you seem not to like at all?
#PrayForKyoAni

Oct 17, 6:38 PM

Heimur said:
Because the average is 5.5, it doesn't makes sense that it will stabilize much higher if you use the full scale as intended.

Actually, there are currently 11,289 anime that have scores and a high enough viewer count to be ranked. The median score of all those, entry 5,645, has a MAL score of 6.59.
A møøse once bit my sister...

Oct 17, 9:53 PM

My mean score has been at a stable 0.00 for several months. I stopped scoring anime altogether around January of this year.

Oct 17, 10:02 PM

Not necessarily. I don't drop anime I think are bad, I drop anime I think are boring. To me there's a big difference. And I do learn past mistakes. I skipped the third season of Kyoukai no Rinne because I got bored of it after the first 2 seasons.

Oct 17, 11:30 PM

It's mainly sequels that drag down my mean score. I often end up watching the entire thing and hoping it will get better..since I thought the first season was either good or decent.

Shows like Psycho Pass 2, Black Butler season 2, Steins Gate 0 etc.

Oct 18, 12:02 AM

Let me tell you something, an anime rated lower than a 7 isn't a bad anime, it's an average one and there's nothing wrong with watching average anime. I don't know why MAL users have this weird misconception that 7 is an average score and that only stuff rated 8+ are good, it makes no fucking sense. Learn how to use the god damn rating scale, it's 1 to 10 not 7 to 10.

Oct 18, 10:09 AM

Research is useless since people in general have unreliable taste and can't tell whether I'll like something or not. Surprisingly often they can't even tell whether they themselves liked something or not.

Also sometimes bad anime can be entertaining. I still score them low because they suck, but I don't mind watching them.

Oct 18, 10:32 AM

Heldengeist said:
Research is useless since people in general have unreliable taste and can't tell whether I'll like something or not. Surprisingly often they can't even tell whether they themselves liked something or not.

Also sometimes bad anime can be entertaining. I still score them low because they suck, but I don't mind watching them.

Then they aren't really bad anime, they are just good in a different way (?)

Oct 18, 10:47 AM

JustAnAnimeList said:
Let me tell you something, an anime rated lower than a 7 isn't a bad anime, it's an average one and there's nothing wrong with watching average anime. I don't know why MAL users have this weird misconception that 7 is an average score and that only stuff rated 8+ are good, it makes no fucking sense. Learn how to use the god damn rating scale, it's 1 to 10 not 7 to 10.

It makes sense, just different interpretation on what's average.
It's how you interpret the word "average". Some people interpret "average" as "average among other anime that you've watched", but some people including me interpret the word would "average" as "average among everything in life". Whenever the experience is positive, like I feel happy or relaxed watching it. I'm rating it above 5. Whenever the experience is negative, like I feel painful watching it. I'm rating it under 5. However I would never use my leisure time on something painful for me to watch, so it's always above 5, like how OP said.

It's like rating food. If water is averaged, then most probably cooked food are good, bad is for the badly cooked food. A normal person would only eat good food. However, for a food critics, food can be rated bad even if they are good.

Yours probably make more sense because the word "masterpiece" fit mroe in your interpretation. However, I would think it feels tedious to look at how you rate all other anime you've watched to rate every time, and it feels bad. Imagine if you think you've watched something very good, but when you look at the list that experience is actually below average, and you have to put it in the bad category. Oh my god that's depressing. But in some anime rating site like anilist where a "smiley face" rating system is available, then my interpretation makes more sense.

There is a third interpretation that also makes sense, which is "average among all the existing anime", and I believe there are people rating on this interpretation. The mean score will be higher than 5 too for sure. The problem is you have to first assume an average anime to you among all anime existing, which is virtually impossible.

Modified by nbyung09, Oct 18, 11:20 AM

Oct 18, 10:56 AM

@nbyung09
Oh no, they are bad. I generally know the difference between good in a different way and genuine bad shows. Also, most bad shows I finish aren't really entertaining in the strict sense of the word, simply just easy to watch. They mess up everything, but at least aren't annoying, so I can finish them without brain damage if I have nothing better to do, like the presented example.

PS: if you look at their scores, that's what I mean by people having unreliable taste.

Oct 18, 11:15 AM

bc even 6/10 shows can be enjoyable. also there is always that "guilty pleasure " show now and then than can be complete trash but you watch it for fun.

Oct 18, 11:25 AM
Anime is too unpredictable for that. Even with research you can't predict how much you'll like a show. I don't think anyone, even those with less experience, go out of there way to watch shows they don't think they'll like, everyone tries finding something they'll enjoy.

Plus, our tastes and standards change as well, that makes things even more complicated. You might have enjoyed something years ago but wouldn't if you had seen it now, and vice versa

Pages (2) « 1 [2]