Forum Settings
Forums

Why do rappers sing so obnoxiously? Why do people like it?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
#1
Sep 16, 2:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
I'm talking about how whenever I hear a rapper sing, they sound incredibly obnoxious; high pitched, whiny, and somehow, bored, yet people consider it to be "good singing"...somehow? Examples (I don't mean disrespect to these artists):

XXXTentacion's singing on the hook to Lil Wayne's "Don't Cry", where he sounds like he's desperately trying to sound "emotional" but sounds incredibly whiny.


Post Malone's rap-singing, where he sounds like he doesn't care, like he isn't even trying.


Joyner Lucas's singing on ADHD not only sounds annoying by how bored he sounds, but how high pitched his singing is:


People hate Ed Sheeran, but at least the guy's voice doesn't sound degrading. Even though most agree that Eminem's singing is awful, at least you can tell he...tries? I'd even go so far as to say that his singing on Not Afraid was actually great, if not, 100x better than these rappers' "singing".
I don't get why these rappers, who are rich, don't hire proper singers. Even anitubers who do cover songs, like Leeandlie and NateWantsToBattle have much better singing voices.

Modified by AbsurdistOtaku, Sep 17, 2:51 PM
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
#2
Sep 16, 2:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 647
I always wondered the same thing. Them making those "sounds"(won't even try calling that singing) was never my cup of tea.


“Dream - The first thing people abandon when they come to understand how this world works.”
 
#3
Sep 16, 3:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 9
AbsurdistOtaku said:
I'm talking about how whenever I hear a rapper sing, they sound incredibly obnoxious; high pitched, whiny, and somehow, bored, yet people consider it to be "good singing"...somehow? Examples (I don't mean disrespect to these artists):

XXXTentacion's singing on the hook to Lil Wayn'e "Don't Cry", where he sounds like he's desperately trying to sound "emotional" but sounds incredibly whiny.


Post Malone's rap-singing, where he sounds like he doesn't care, like he isn't even trying.


Joyner Lucas's singing on ADHD not only sounds annoying by how bored he sounds, but how high pitched his singing is:


People hate Ed Sheeran, but at least the guy's voice doesn't sound degrading. Even though most agree that Eminem's singing is awful, at least you can tell he...tries? I'd even go so far as to say that his singing on Not Afraid was actually great, if not, 100x better than these rappers' "singing".
I don't get why these rappers, who are rich, don't hire proper singers. Even anitubers who do cover songs, like Leeandlie and NateWantsToBattle have much better singing voices.



You are probably referring to Rhythmic rappers and mumble rappers. Never been my style. The only reason I believe people listen to it is because it is popular/trendy. On a side note Joyner and Eminem are two of the best rappers of this genaration, at least IMO.
 
#4
Sep 17, 7:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 40
That is why I gave up on English rap and started listening to German rap. So far, awesome.




The second one is just a masterpiece, if you speak German.

Also, been trying to find some good jrap. But that’s all I found.

KOHH is awesome.


Da feels if you understand lyrics.
 
#5
Sep 17, 10:44 AM
Fat Bassfish

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5238
Because Drake, and those that inspired him.
 
#6
Sep 17, 10:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1678
they forget even autotune won't cover up their shit. aside from that, i presume they don't want to hire a proper singer for fear they'll lose the spotlight - either that or they want to express 'their emotions' through 'themselves'.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
 
#7
Sep 17, 12:28 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 13843
that looks like mumble rap to me, idk why people like it that much, that music is more focused on the way the ''rappers'' can flow and ride the beat and less focused on lyrics
ofc there are exceptions

AnimeEtoOshibka said:
KOHH is awesome.


Da feels if you understand lyrics.


i agree he's amazing. you should try Okasian, he has some collabs with Kohh







 
#8
Sep 17, 12:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 592
Rappers are obnoxious and sing poorly and water is wet.
 
#9
Sep 17, 1:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
I understand where you are coming from. However I actually like some songs from some of these artists.
Firstly Post Malone, despite mumbling his lines sometimes, it is just a fact God has blessed him with a beautiful voice, so despite mumbling it just sounds good like honestly.

Here is an example:

Their is a reason why rappers like Post Malone's (who according to an official billboard post 1 day ago) album is top of the chart. Im not trying to start anything but i just thought I give my opinion seeing as everyone here seems to hate these guys.

And next with XXX, I completely agree that it is hard to decipher what is being sang, however with a similar argument to the previous one, sometimes it just sounds good, like if you listen to Despacito or BTS, god knows what on earth they are saying however that doesn't necessarily make the song bad as long as the noise coming out of their mouths are good and are supplemented by a good track you get me. Take this song for example: (skip to 1:10 for his vocals)


 
Sep 17, 1:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 40
DiscoDespot said:
Rappers are obnoxious and sing poorly and water is wet.

If you do not like it, it does not mean that all rap songs are obnoxious and poorly sung.

@Shinah
Thanks, fam.
 
Sep 17, 4:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1293
They aren't rappers and people who enjoy this type of music are either young as hell and haven't heard anything better or have seriously bad taste.

This is actual rap:














 
Sep 17, 5:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1293
Foy said:
I understand where you are coming from. However I actually like some songs from some of these artists.
Firstly Post Malone, despite mumbling his lines sometimes, it is just a fact God has blessed him with a beautiful voice, so despite mumbling it just sounds good like honestly.

Here is an example:

Their is a reason why rappers like Post Malone's (who according to an official billboard post 1 day ago) album is top of the chart. Im not trying to start anything but i just thought I give my opinion seeing as everyone here seems to hate these guys.

And next with XXX, I completely agree that it is hard to decipher what is being sang, however with a similar argument to the previous one, sometimes it just sounds good, like if you listen to Despacito or BTS, god knows what on earth they are saying however that doesn't necessarily make the song bad as long as the noise coming out of their mouths are good and are supplemented by a good track you get me. Take this song for example: (skip to 1:10 for his vocals)


You do realize any type of music only needs to be catchy and given enough exposure to be at the top chart of something? Anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears.
 
Sep 17, 7:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1675
Well, because simply put, they're not singers. Just because someone can rap doesn't mean they can sing, and vice versa.

Also, Post Malone's music isn't exactly a good example. Post Malone is a very talented musician. But, beneath his ridiculous persona, there's a marketing genius. He knows what kind of music sells and so, that's the kind of music he makes. If he made the type of music he really wanted to make, he wouldn't be where he is right now.

This is Post Malone before he was Post Malone:

 
Sep 17, 9:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Nithirel said:
Well, because simply put, they're not singers. Just because someone can rap doesn't mean they can sing, and vice versa.


I understand. What I don't understand are two things:
1) Rappers who can't sing; why don't they hire professional singers?
2) Why do people like the rappers' shitty singing?
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 17, 9:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 54
The only hip hop I listen too is chill hop, cloud rap or industrial hip hop. It's good, the mainstream stuff sucks imo.
 
Sep 17, 9:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2747
How do you feel about Peggy's (JpegMafia's) singing on his new record All My Heroes Are Cornballs?


Ascended Taste
^
check this list out for some ascended music shit (also to give it more views pls I want this list I worked hard on to make me feel special~~~~~~)
 
Sep 17, 10:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1293
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
How do you feel about Peggy's (JpegMafia's) singing on his new record All My Heroes Are Cornballs?

makes me wanna c-neck
 
Sep 18, 1:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
Cneq said:
Foy said:
I understand where you are coming from. However I actually like some songs from some of these artists.
Firstly Post Malone, despite mumbling his lines sometimes, it is just a fact God has blessed him with a beautiful voice, so despite mumbling it just sounds good like honestly.

Here is an example:

Their is a reason why rappers like Post Malone's (who according to an official billboard post 1 day ago) album is top of the chart. Im not trying to start anything but i just thought I give my opinion seeing as everyone here seems to hate these guys.

And next with XXX, I completely agree that it is hard to decipher what is being sang, however with a similar argument to the previous one, sometimes it just sounds good, like if you listen to Despacito or BTS, god knows what on earth they are saying however that doesn't necessarily make the song bad as long as the noise coming out of their mouths are good and are supplemented by a good track you get me. Take this song for example: (skip to 1:10 for his vocals)


You do realize any type of music only needs to be catchy and given enough exposure to be at the top chart of something? Anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears.


Kiddo, when you say "anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears" the charts are created based on the opinions of the majority where else are you gonna rank music? because "anywhere else" is a minority so you're saying that to a small minority, music such as Post Malone are "cancerous to the ears'.
 
Sep 18, 2:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1293
Foy said:
Cneq said:
You do realize any type of music only needs to be catchy and given enough exposure to be at the top chart of something? Anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears.


Kiddo, when you say "anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears" the charts are created based on the opinions of the majority where else are you gonna rank music? because "anywhere else" is a minority so you're saying that to a small minority, music such as Post Malone are "cancerous to the ears'.


First don't call me kiddo, just makes you look like a kid lmao.

Are you so naive you think just because something is in the majority means it's good? That's the same logic as saying just because a huge amount of people smoke that makes it okay. When you have this garbage music being blasting on every radio station, some stores, spread by word of mouth, controversy, internet comments and even on the fucking train (yes believe it or not even when on the train you have punk ass kids blasting this filth, I count 10+ times when some idiot was blasting this stuff off their phone) That is some serious coverage to the point you can't even escape from it no matter where you go, online or not.

And if you have any brain cells which I hope you do you should realize that much widespread attention = more people searching and listening to said music whether they hate it or not. So of course it's on the top of the lists lmao Does that represent quality? Hell no. Just from this thread alone you can see most people hate this filth and if you go on other places in the internet you'll see the same divided opinions.
 
Sep 18, 3:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Foy said:
Cneq said:
You do realize any type of music only needs to be catchy and given enough exposure to be at the top chart of something? Anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears.


Kiddo, when you say "anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears" the charts are created based on the opinions of the majority where else are you gonna rank music? because "anywhere else" is a minority so you're saying that to a small minority, music such as Post Malone are "cancerous to the ears'.


I agree with @Cneq; majority opinion =/= automatically good.

@Cneq

You're right in that coverage will attract attention, but not necessarily love. Like, just because someone hears Post Malone's music on the train, doesn't mean they're going to like it.
This thread is a terrible representation of how many people like Post Malone's music for 2 reasons:
1) Very few people have posted on this thread.
2) I suspect that this thread has mostly attracted people who dislike rap-singing (I was hoping to attract people with more varied opinions).

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
How do you feel about Peggy's (JpegMafia's) singing on his new record All My Heroes Are Cornballs?



I think you already have guessed what my opinion would be: his singing is high pitched, he's yelling (and not in a cool way like in metal), and there's no passion in his voice.
I don't understand why singers like Benjamin Clementine, who I think have far more talent in the singing department, barely get any attention compared to these rap-singers. Like, I think everyone knows that rap-singers like Post Malone will be forgotten in the next generation.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 18, 3:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1185
How many fucking times are you going to make this fucking thread? The answer is that most rappers don't have good singing voices. If they did, they probably wouldn't be rapping.

That's it. That is the answer. Same as asking "why are the vocals in death metal growled?", most likely the vocalist doesn't have a great voice. And i'm saying that for bands that solely use harsh vocals, there are plenty of singers who can do both, Kyo from Dir En Grey has the biggest range of screams i've ever heard and has a clean vocal range in the area of five octaves, possibly up to seven if you count notes he's hit with falsetto or vocal fry.

These two songs are the same vocalist.





There are exceptions in rap, too. Some rappers can sing very well. If I post some off the top of my head, please stop making this thread every week.

Ghostmane singing a song that is inherently not at all easy to singing and nailing it, which makes sense considering he was in a few metal and punk bands before he started rapping, but nobody realized how good his voice really is:


Bones screaming and singing cleanly, the screams are pretty common for him, the clean singing is not (and before you say HURR DURR HE'S JUST YELLING, harsh vocals are harder to master than regular singing without destroying your throat, and he does them correctly:


I shouldn't even have to post this but Ad-Rock from the Beastie Boys is a great singer:


Lauryn Hill is better at singing than rapping:


If I have to explain this one, you're probably not old enough to be listening to music with bad words in it:




 
Sep 18, 3:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
@Vorpality

I think you're mistaking me for someone else; this is the first thread I've made regarding rappers singing.
I understand that rappers won't sing as well as normal singers. My actual question is though: why they don't even sound like they're trying? At least the ones I've heard/listed.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 18, 3:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
Cneq said:
Foy said:


Kiddo, when you say "anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears" the charts are created based on the opinions of the majority where else are you gonna rank music? because "anywhere else" is a minority so you're saying that to a small minority, music such as Post Malone are "cancerous to the ears'.


First don't call me kiddo, just makes you look like a kid lmao.

Are you so naive you think just because something is in the majority means it's good? That's the same logic as saying just because a huge amount of people smoke that makes it okay. When you have this garbage music being blasting on every radio station, some stores, spread by word of mouth, controversy, internet comments and even on the fucking train (yes believe it or not even when on the train you have punk ass kids blasting this filth, I count 10+ times when some idiot was blasting this stuff off their phone) That is some serious coverage to the point you can't even escape from it no matter where you go, online or not.

And if you have any brain cells which I hope you do you should realize that much widespread attention = more people searching and listening to said music whether they hate it or not. So of course it's on the top of the lists lmao Does that represent quality? Hell no. Just from this thread alone you can see most people hate this filth and if you go on other places in the internet you'll see the same divided opinions.


Ok "boss" I'm not saying that just because its liked by the majority that makes it good, however I am saying that their is a reason why it is liked by the majority. Even if your so called over exposure by cringe kids makes it well known, I have never once in my life and I'm sure you too have heard a shit song being played by an obnoxious kid and gone 'hey that's pretty good I'm gonna go download because... funny" For it to get the top of the charts it needs to be downloaded not just listened too, and the majority will not download it if they think its sounds like ass.

And this thread is such a niche group on such a specific website targeted at a very precise target demographic, which being anime lovers, equates to about 2% of the population, doesn't mean shit in terms of indicating how many people think Post Malone's music is good.
 
Sep 18, 3:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Foy said:


Kiddo, when you say "anywhere else this kind of trash is viewed as cancerous to the ears" the charts are created based on the opinions of the majority where else are you gonna rank music? because "anywhere else" is a minority so you're saying that to a small minority, music such as Post Malone are "cancerous to the ears'.


I agree with @Cneq; majority opinion =/= automatically good.

@Cneq

You're right in that coverage will attract attention, but not necessarily love. Like, just because someone hears Post Malone's music on the train, doesn't mean they're going to like it.
This thread is a terrible representation of how many people like Post Malone's music for 2 reasons:
1) Very few people have posted on this thread.
2) I suspect that this thread has mostly attracted people who dislike rap-singing (I was hoping to attract people with more varied opinions).

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
How do you feel about Peggy's (JpegMafia's) singing on his new record All My Heroes Are Cornballs?



I think you already have guessed what my opinion would be: his singing is high pitched, he's yelling (and not in a cool way like in metal), and there's no passion in his voice.
I don't understand why singers like Benjamin Clementine, who I think have far more talent in the singing department, barely get any attention compared to these rap-singers. Like, I think everyone knows that rap-singers like Post Malone will be forgotten in the next generation.


Im sorry, I understand that everyone has their own opinion. However saying things like "Post Malone will be forgotten in the next generation" seems extremely biased don't you think. Post Malone has broken multiple records such as Michael Jackson's 34 year old record when Malone's album Stoney spent its 77th week in the top 10 of Billboard‘s Top R&B and Hip-Hop Albums chart — beating out the 76 triumphant weeks that Michael Jackson’s Thriller spent up there in the Eighties.

And I don't think I've just about forgotten Jackson. He also beat the Beatle's record for the most simultaneous top 20 in the Hot 100.

So I don't think forgettable is the right adjective to be using bud.
 
Sep 18, 7:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Foy said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:


I agree with @Cneq; majority opinion =/= automatically good.

@Cneq

You're right in that coverage will attract attention, but not necessarily love. Like, just because someone hears Post Malone's music on the train, doesn't mean they're going to like it.
This thread is a terrible representation of how many people like Post Malone's music for 2 reasons:
1) Very few people have posted on this thread.
2) I suspect that this thread has mostly attracted people who dislike rap-singing (I was hoping to attract people with more varied opinions).



I think you already have guessed what my opinion would be: his singing is high pitched, he's yelling (and not in a cool way like in metal), and there's no passion in his voice.
I don't understand why singers like Benjamin Clementine, who I think have far more talent in the singing department, barely get any attention compared to these rap-singers. Like, I think everyone knows that rap-singers like Post Malone will be forgotten in the next generation.


Im sorry, I understand that everyone has their own opinion. However saying things like "Post Malone will be forgotten in the next generation" seems extremely biased don't you think. Post Malone has broken multiple records such as Michael Jackson's 34 year old record when Malone's album Stoney spent its 77th week in the top 10 of Billboard‘s Top R&B and Hip-Hop Albums chart — beating out the 76 triumphant weeks that Michael Jackson’s Thriller spent up there in the Eighties.

And I don't think I've just about forgotten Jackson. He also beat the Beatle's record for the most simultaneous top 20 in the Hot 100.

So I don't think forgettable is the right adjective to be using bud.


I've learned that in the music industry, hot artists are hot only for a period of time, and then they're forgotten, like Vanilla Ice, Ja Rule, unless they're critically acclaimed, and have had an impact on the industry.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 18, 9:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1675
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Nithirel said:
Well, because simply put, they're not singers. Just because someone can rap doesn't mean they can sing, and vice versa.


I understand. What I don't understand are two things:
1) Rappers who can't sing; why don't they hire professional singers?
2) Why do people like the rappers' shitty singing?


A lot do. There are plenty of rap songs with a featured artist who only does the chorus. Others don't because they probably think it sounds fine, which is echoed back to them when the song with said singing does good. Not to shit on rap or rap fans (I'm one of them), but rap is definitely one of the least "artistic" forms of music, as in it takes the least talent and work (probably subjective, but whatever) so I don't think many people have all that much expectations in terms of how good the singing is. A lot of popular rap songs are popular on the sole basis of it being a "club banger" or not. So.. The level of singing is not something they're probably caring too much about. If it was, someone like Logic would have never made it to where he is.
 
Sep 18, 10:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Nithirel said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:


I understand. What I don't understand are two things:
1) Rappers who can't sing; why don't they hire professional singers?
2) Why do people like the rappers' shitty singing?


A lot do. There are plenty of rap songs with a featured artist who only does the chorus. Others don't because they probably think it sounds fine, which is echoed back to them when the song with said singing does good. Not to shit on rap or rap fans (I'm one of them), but rap is definitely one of the least "artistic" forms of music, as in it takes the least talent and work (probably subjective, but whatever) so I don't think many people have all that much expectations in terms of how good the singing is. A lot of popular rap songs are popular on the sole basis of it being a "club banger" or not. So.. The level of singing is not something they're probably caring too much about. If it was, someone like Logic would have never made it to where he is.


Yeah, a lot of rappers do hire professional singers, but then there are ones who don't, even though they have the money to do so.
I agree that rap definitely takes the least talent and work. I write raps almost everyday, and have produced beats in the past, so I can confirm that.
However, I think you're undermining how important singing is to the mass audience in general; I don't think you can have a successful club banger with singing, unless people think the singing is good. Yet, I think you may be onto something when you say (correct me if I'm wrong) that rap is taken the least seriously by music fans; like, as passionate as I am about hip hop, I don't think my passion compares as much to the average rock fan, because rock is far more complicated. So to wrap it up; I think you may be right...to a degree...that rap fans don't care about good singing. Or, I just came up with this idea, maybe a lot of rap fans don't listen to professional singers, so they haven't built a proper standard as to what constitutes as good singing? Still, that lot doesn't explain why a majority of rap fans think Post Malone's singing is good. I showed Post Malone to one of my family members, and she liked his voice, but even she said something along the lines of, "I'd listen to him if you put his music on, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to him".
I think my problem with rap-singing could be summed up as: it sounds nothing like traditional singing. Rap-singers, like Post Malone, seem to have developed a different style of singing; which is new, which is partially why people like it, but I suspect they'll be forgotten in the future as just another fad. I don't think rap-singers like Post Malone will be remembered like Frank Sinatra.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 18, 11:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 3171
Well it's called mumble rap for a reason.
Anywho, people probably like the lazy "I don't care about a thing in this world" vibe that these kinds of songs give. I prefer the goofy 90s style hip hop where peeps experimented with all kinds of shit, stuff like Fu-Schnickens and Das EFX are really good shit in that sense.
That kinda style probably won't be back anytime soon, but I'll stick to that cause this new stuff just doesn't resonate with me, but to each their own.
 
Sep 18, 12:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Foy said:


Im sorry, I understand that everyone has their own opinion. However saying things like "Post Malone will be forgotten in the next generation" seems extremely biased don't you think. Post Malone has broken multiple records such as Michael Jackson's 34 year old record when Malone's album Stoney spent its 77th week in the top 10 of Billboard‘s Top R&B and Hip-Hop Albums chart — beating out the 76 triumphant weeks that Michael Jackson’s Thriller spent up there in the Eighties.

And I don't think I've just about forgotten Jackson. He also beat the Beatle's record for the most simultaneous top 20 in the Hot 100.

So I don't think forgettable is the right adjective to be using bud.


I've learned that in the music industry, hot artists are hot only for a period of time, and then they're forgotten, like Vanilla Ice, Ja Rule, unless they're critically acclaimed, and have had an impact on the industry.


I agree. Although that doesn't apply to Post Malone. How much more can a man be critically acclaimed when he has won so many awards and topped so many charts??
 
Sep 18, 12:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Foy said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:


I've learned that in the music industry, hot artists are hot only for a period of time, and then they're forgotten, like Vanilla Ice, Ja Rule, unless they're critically acclaimed, and have had an impact on the industry.


I agree. Although that doesn't apply to Post Malone. How much more can a man be critically acclaimed when he has won so many awards and topped so many charts??


Post Malone has won awards?
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 19, 6:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Foy said:


I agree. Although that doesn't apply to Post Malone. How much more can a man be critically acclaimed when he has won so many awards and topped so many charts??


Post Malone has won awards?


Yes. Multiple.
Billboard Music Award for Top Rap Song
2018 · Rockstar
MTV Video Music Award for Song of the Year
2018 · Rockstar
Juno Award for International Album of the Year
2019 · Beerbongs & Bentleys
American Music Award for Favorite Album Rap/Hip-Hop
2018 · Beerbongs & Bentleys
American Music Award for Favorite Male Artist Pop/Rock
2018
 
Sep 19, 12:12 PM
Listen to AJJ
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 898
As everything, it's subjective. People out there enjoy it, others don't.
Similar arguments could be made against Metal artists, particularly your screamo, death metal, goregrind bands. I mean, it's just blatant screaming, but to my ears, and many others, it's talent and music. Same can be applied to this rap shit.
 
Sep 19, 7:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 103
hip hop actually got very intellectual and chic in the late 90s/early 2000s but that all went to shit.

in the days when plunderphonics and alt-hip hop were mainstream, hip-hop was serious but those days are gone. feels good! dun dundun dun dun
 
Sep 19, 8:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
GayBoi6969 said:
As everything, it's subjective. People out there enjoy it, others don't.
Similar arguments could be made against Metal artists, particularly your screamo, death metal, goregrind bands. I mean, it's just blatant screaming, but to my ears, and many others, it's talent and music. Same can be applied to this rap shit.


My question is why do people enjoy rap-singers like Post Malone; what is it about their voices that is appealing? I don't like metal, but I understand the appeal: the intense screaming brings out a feeling of satisfaction, particularly if you're stressed.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 19, 10:06 PM
Listen to AJJ
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 898
AbsurdistOtaku said:
GayBoi6969 said:
As everything, it's subjective. People out there enjoy it, others don't.
Similar arguments could be made against Metal artists, particularly your screamo, death metal, goregrind bands. I mean, it's just blatant screaming, but to my ears, and many others, it's talent and music. Same can be applied to this rap shit.


My question is why do people enjoy rap-singers like Post Malone; what is it about their voices that is appealing? I don't like metal, but I understand the appeal: the intense screaming brings out a feeling of satisfaction, particularly if you're stressed.

Some of the appeal has to do with their fame. People are sheep, and like to have someone to idolize and follow. Not that he's the healthiest person to follow, but people will do so blindly.

I don't get the appeal of today's Rap, pop, or really anything you hear on the radio. It all sounds the same, and it's headache inducing. But, it's easier to ignore those who enjoy it, than try and change, or ask why they like it.
 
Sep 19, 10:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
GayBoi6969 said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:


My question is why do people enjoy rap-singers like Post Malone; what is it about their voices that is appealing? I don't like metal, but I understand the appeal: the intense screaming brings out a feeling of satisfaction, particularly if you're stressed.

Some of the appeal has to do with their fame. People are sheep, and like to have someone to idolize and follow. Not that he's the healthiest person to follow, but people will do so blindly.

I don't get the appeal of today's Rap, pop, or really anything you hear on the radio. It all sounds the same, and it's headache inducing. But, it's easier to ignore those who enjoy it, than try and change, or ask why they like it.


True, when something's popular, many people (including me) feel pressured to enjoy it. But for the most part, I think that popularity comes from individuals enjoying it initially. So the appeal of Post Malone has something to do with his music being appealing.
I like there are rappers today ranging from good to great: Denzel Curry, NF, Kendrick Lamar, P.O.S, J. Cole. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they're better than a majority of 90s rappers I've listened to, simply because these rappers have far more substance.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 19, 11:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 48
AbsurdistOtaku said:
I don't like metal, but I understand the appeal: the intense screaming brings out a feeling of satisfaction, particularly if you're stressed.

Not all extreme metal vocals are "intense screaming".

Anyways, people might like unrefined vocals for conveing some personal charisma or down-to-earth feeling, like it's sung by your half-drunk friend in a bar - unprofessional, but touching.
 
Sep 20, 9:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 3296
People like it cus the media tells them it's okay from an early age and it tells them to like it

most rap fans are young and have been young/grew up with it. Older people don't like rap and that's because rap is objectively bad. It's often not real music, not melodic and not meaningful.
and no, i'm not saying ALL rap is like this - there are some great rap tracks that are not easy to replicate that are both melodic and meaningful and good but the majority of them are not like this

rap is the worst genre of music and i'm a music connoisseur and listen to everything, i've heard more music than 99.9% ppl on the planet quite certainly and i do listen to rap as well and in general i don't really " skip" music genres i just have different moods but i don't have any illusions about it when i'm listening to it

lots of music -
 
Sep 21, 4:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 31676
Off key vocals tends to be a hit or miss. Sometimes singing bad is good because it might be silly or heart felt sounding. Of course there is a line where bad is just bad so it depends. Tastes duffer though. If that makes sense. Also a lot of mainstream rappers have everything done for them from lyric writing to production so I think they want to hold on to what little they still have control over their own voice. Plus it just screws up the rhythm of a song if they had to switch to a different vocalist for every little part that tries to be melodic.
 
Sep 23, 10:02 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 21
If they're singing, isnt it more akin to hip hop
 
Sep 24, 7:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 66
Cneq said:
They aren't rappers and people who enjoy this type of music are either young as hell and haven't heard anything better or have seriously bad taste.

This is actual rap: *insert trash*
Only goofy white people from the suburbs fuck with that trash. You guys are a meme lol.

''Durr fucken Lil Pump! Eminem is gonna kill these mumble rappers!!! I-I know it!!''

It's okay. We can't all get invited to parties haha.

That being said, here's some ACTUAL rap for you:







You've been educated and you're welcome.
Take me into your heart

Accept me as your savior

Nail me to the cross

And let me be reborn

 
Sep 24, 7:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1293
Jokah said:
Cneq said:
They aren't rappers and people who enjoy this type of music are either young as hell and haven't heard anything better or have seriously bad taste.

This is actual rap: *insert trash*
Only goofy white people from the suburbs fuck with that trash. You guys are a meme lol.

''Durr fucken Lil Pump! Eminem is gonna kill these mumble rappers!!! I-I know it!!''

It's okay. We can't all get invited to parties haha.

That being said, here's some ACTUAL rap for you:







You've been educated and you're welcome.
Your taste is shit and you have no idea what rap is. If you want to talk about real OG rap at least post some stuff from Biggie or Wu-Tang Clan, not this auto tune trash with no substance.
 
Sep 24, 9:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Jokah said:
Cneq said:
They aren't rappers and people who enjoy this type of music are either young as hell and haven't heard anything better or have seriously bad taste.

This is actual rap: *insert trash*
Only goofy white people from the suburbs fuck with that trash. You guys are a meme lol.

''Durr fucken Lil Pump! Eminem is gonna kill these mumble rappers!!! I-I know it!!''

It's okay. We can't all get invited to parties haha.

That being said, here's some ACTUAL rap for you:







You've been educated and you're welcome.


EDIT: Really dude? Playing the race card? Why is it okay to use the race card against whites, but not against any other ethnic group?
What I don't understand is: why can't we have lyrical rap (as in, rap with good lyrics, and not weird effects that make it harder to understand what the rapper is saying) and party music? Kendrick Lamar is known to balance both perfectly on songs like Swimming Pools.

@Cneq

Uh...90s rap wasn't known for having "substance". People complain that modern rap focuses too much on partying, killing people, women, drugs...yet most 90s rap was about partying (Jay Z), killing people (Big L), women (Biggie), drugs (2pac); I think the difference is that 90s rap talked about these subjects with a lot more style than trap rappers do. When 90s rap wasn't focusing on these topics, it was focusing on socially conscious rap that had the messages a 5th grader knew. Modern rap is so much more diverse with subject matters, particularly because of introspective rap. The great thing about introspective rap, is that almost no 2 rappers' personnel stories will be the same.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 24, 10:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1293
AbsurdistOtaku said:
Jokah said:
Only goofy white people from the suburbs fuck with that trash. You guys are a meme lol.

''Durr fucken Lil Pump! Eminem is gonna kill these mumble rappers!!! I-I know it!!''

It's okay. We can't all get invited to parties haha.

That being said, here's some ACTUAL rap for you:







You've been educated and you're welcome.


EDIT: Really dude? Playing the race card? Why is it okay to use the race card against whites, but not against any other ethnic group?
What I don't understand is: why can't we have lyrical rap (as in, rap with good lyrics, and not weird effects that make it harder to understand what the rapper is saying) and party music? Kendrick Lamar is known to balance both perfectly on songs like Swimming Pools.

@Cneq

Uh...90s rap wasn't known for having "substance". People complain that modern rap focuses too much on partying, killing people, women, drugs...yet most 90s rap was about partying (Jay Z), killing people (Big L), women (Biggie), drugs (2pac); I think the difference is that 90s rap talked about these subjects with a lot more style than trap rappers do. When 90s rap wasn't focusing on these topics, it was focusing on socially conscious rap that had the messages a 5th grader knew. Modern rap is so much more diverse with subject matters, particularly because of introspective rap. The great thing about introspective rap, is that almost no 2 rappers' personnel stories will be the same.
"I think the difference is that 90s rap talked about these subjects with a lot more style than trap rappers do." That is exactly what I was saying. I said if he was going to provide shitty rap like what he linked he might as well use the types that had more substance, but I guess style would be a better word for what I was getting at. I'm not a fan of 90's rap but only really listen to it when I want to feel that LA vibe since that's where I'm from and just listening to that type of music you can feel it was made in LA.

However I do have to disagree there can be actual substance in 90's rap compared to modern day stuff talking about the same stereotypical gangster themes. Take Wu tang clan - tearz for example. Sure there still isn't a lot of substance but when compared to modern day stuff about the same themes it's easy to tell the difference.

 
Sep 25, 2:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1185
Cneq said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:


EDIT: Really dude? Playing the race card? Why is it okay to use the race card against whites, but not against any other ethnic group?
What I don't understand is: why can't we have lyrical rap (as in, rap with good lyrics, and not weird effects that make it harder to understand what the rapper is saying) and party music? Kendrick Lamar is known to balance both perfectly on songs like Swimming Pools.

@Cneq

Uh...90s rap wasn't known for having "substance". People complain that modern rap focuses too much on partying, killing people, women, drugs...yet most 90s rap was about partying (Jay Z), killing people (Big L), women (Biggie), drugs (2pac); I think the difference is that 90s rap talked about these subjects with a lot more style than trap rappers do. When 90s rap wasn't focusing on these topics, it was focusing on socially conscious rap that had the messages a 5th grader knew. Modern rap is so much more diverse with subject matters, particularly because of introspective rap. The great thing about introspective rap, is that almost no 2 rappers' personnel stories will be the same.
"I think the difference is that 90s rap talked about these subjects with a lot more style than trap rappers do." That is exactly what I was saying. I said if he was going to provide shitty rap like what he linked he might as well use the types that had more substance, but I guess style would be a better word for what I was getting at. I'm not a fan of 90's rap but only really listen to it when I want to feel that LA vibe since that's where I'm from and just listening to that type of music you can feel it was made in LA.

However I do have to disagree there can be actual substance in 90's rap compared to modern day stuff talking about the same stereotypical gangster themes. Take Wu tang clan - tearz for example. Sure there still isn't a lot of substance but when compared to modern day stuff about the same themes it's easy to tell the difference.


Public Enemy would like a word with you.
 
Sep 25, 7:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
@Cneq

NF
Kanye West
Kendrick Lamar
Denzel Curry
J. Cole
Joey Bada$$ (even if his "socially conscious" lyrics are things everyone knows by 5th grade)
Joyner Lucas
Dave

I haven't even listened to that many modern rappers, but these guys sure as hell have a lot more substance than the Wu Tang Clan, Nas, Jay Z, Big L, Big Pun, did in the 90s. When it comes to socially conscious rap, I think Kendrick Lamar and even J. Cole blow 90s rappers out of the park, because their messages are more complex and require more research. For example, Lamar has criticized the US government for providing guns to black neighborhoods, while the media portrays blacks as criminals. J. Cole made a song called "Photograph", which is about a guy falling in love with a girl through social media, despite not even knowing her. Those messages are certainly more complex than, "Just because you're from the ghetto doesn't mean you can't grow".
Do we have a lot of trap rap, that many people, including myself, don't like and think is trash? Yes. But lyrical rap is still alive, and it's more complex and intellectual than before.

@Vorpality

Public Enemy emerged from the 80s, so I don't consider them to be 90s rappers. Also, based on the lyrics I've seen from them, they're not anything that you wouldn't know by 5th grade.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Sep 25, 11:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 523
is this an alt of that nihilist guy? well I wont take the thread seriously if he's asking "why do people like ___". What a fucking stupid question. You know the answer.
Modified by Vazka, Sep 25, 11:43 AM
 
Sep 25, 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 12
You should try listening to playboi carti. Only good rapper nowadays.

 
Sep 25, 12:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5156
AbsurdistOtaku said:
@Cneq

NF
Kanye West
Kendrick Lamar
Denzel Curry
J. Cole
Joey Bada$$ (even if his "socially conscious" lyrics are things everyone knows by 5th grade)
Joyner Lucas
Dave

I haven't even listened to that many modern rappers, but these guys sure as hell have a lot more substance than the Wu Tang Clan, Nas, Jay Z, Big L, Big Pun, did in the 90s. When it comes to socially conscious rap, I think Kendrick Lamar and even J. Cole blow 90s rappers out of the park, because their messages are more complex and require more research. For example, Lamar has criticized the US government for providing guns to black neighborhoods, while the media portrays blacks as criminals. J. Cole made a song called "Photograph", which is about a guy falling in love with a girl through social media, despite not even knowing her. Those messages are certainly more complex than, "Just because you're from the ghetto doesn't mean you can't grow".
Do we have a lot of trap rap, that many people, including myself, don't like and think is trash? Yes. But lyrical rap is still alive, and it's more complex and intellectual than before.

@Vorpality

Public Enemy emerged from the 80s, so I don't consider them to be 90s rappers. Also, based on the lyrics I've seen from them, they're not anything that you wouldn't know by 5th grade.
Right so 2pac's Changes doesn't come to mind? Yeah, definitely no substance.
That's just one that comes to mind.

Anyways, I'm not sure what your trying to ask with your thread.
You take a small pool sample from the mainstream shit, then base your opinion off of that? Come on.
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

 
Sep 25, 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4003
Cabron said:
Right so 2pac's Changes doesn't come to mind? Yeah, definitely no substance.
That's just one that comes to mind.


2pac is the only socially conscious rapper I can name that emerged from the 90s. I even tried researching for any other socially conscious rapper that emerged in the 90s, but I could only find 2pac. Besides, 2pac had plenty of songs with no substance: 95% of All Eyez On Me is a party, style over substance type of album, which isn't a bad thing. Changes has about as much complexity and depth in its "message" as something you learn by middle school. What is "deep" about a song whose message boils down to, "Let's be better"? J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar are more complex in terms of their messages.

Cabron said:
Anyways, I'm not sure what your trying to ask with your thread.


I was asking why rappers sing so obnoxiously, and what its appeal is.

Cabron said:
You take a small pool sample from the mainstream shit, then base your opinion off of that? Come on.


I think that small sample of mainstream is a good representation of rap in general.

Vazka said:
is this an alt of that nihilist guy? well I wont take the thread seriously if he's asking "why do people like ___". What a fucking stupid question. You know the answer.


I don't know the answer. If I did, I wouldn't make this thread. I honestly don't understand why people like Post Malone's and XXXTentacion's singing voices. Countless other thread users make threads asking, "Why do people like ___" yet I'm the only one who gets criticized for it. Why?
Modified by AbsurdistOtaku, Sep 25, 3:00 PM
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »