Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Sep 16, 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
I haven't really read much manga, and I would like to read more so I can find my own taste in manga but I have no idea where to start. Was wondering if there was a "must read" manga that you think everyone should have read or you could recommend one that you think would be good for a beginner like me ^^
 
#2
Sep 16, 12:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 435
I wouldn't call someone who's been through 351 volumes and 51 completed manga a "beginner" lol. Nor do I think there's any real "beginner" manga like for anime. But here's some variety of stuff to get into that I personally enjoyed:

Psyren
Gekkan Ghoujo Nozaki-kun
Grappler Baki
Chihayafuru
Yagate kimi ni naru
Tonari no Seki-kun
Liar Game
King of Thorn
To aru Kagaku no Railgun
New Game!
Nichijou
Princess Jellyfish
Stay Strong, KyoAni.
 
#3
Sep 16, 1:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 61
Ajin
Akatsuki no yona
Bakuman
Helck
Hikaru no Go
Hinamatsuri
Kuroshitsuji
Meteor Methuselah
Monster
Noragami
One Outs
Sakamichi no Apollon
 
#4
Sep 16, 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
raisin-kun said:
I wouldn't call someone who's been through 351 volumes and 51 completed manga a "beginner" lol. Nor do I think there's any real "beginner" manga like for anime. But here's some variety of stuff to get into that I personally enjoyed:

Psyren
Gekkan Ghoujo Nozaki-kun
Grappler Baki
Chihayafuru
Yagate kimi ni naru
Tonari no Seki-kun
Liar Game
King of Thorn
To aru Kagaku no Railgun
New Game!
Nichijou
Princess Jellyfish

Haha when you put it that way it doesn’t really sound like a “beginner” but I feel like I’ve barely read any compared to the number of anime I’ve seen

But thanks a lot for all the recommendations :D I think I’ll start with King of Thorn
 
#5
Sep 16, 1:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
NumbLP said:
Ajin
Akatsuki no yona
Bakuman
Helck
Hikaru no Go
Hinamatsuri
Kuroshitsuji
Meteor Methuselah
Monster
Noragami
One Outs
Sakamichi no Apollon

oooo I’ve been meaning to read monster for a while now, I’ll definitely check it out THANKS BRO :D
 
#6
Sep 16, 1:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 472
I dunno, looks like you got a decent amount of stuff in your manga list... tho I guess it does look pretty small in comparison to your anime list.
Judging from the scoring on your manga list, it seems that you might like either psychological or romance series. Dunno if I can provide some good recommendations that can satisfy you but here's what I got
  • Princess Jellyfish - otaku girl meets crossdresser fashionista in this hilarious josei series
  • Yotsuba&! - slice-of-life manga fun for everyone! a great manga for beginners
  • Cosmo Familia* - a girl who has been left alone has to protect her home and her city from strange plush-like aliens called Cosmofs
  • The Electric Tale of Pikachu - a unique take on the Pokémon anime's story. infamous among Pokémon fans for all the wrong reasons
  • Pokémon Adventures - an interesting series that are strictly based off of the original Pokémon games (and not the anime). another great manga for beginners, especially for Pokéfans
  • Sailor Moon - epic fantasy romance manga and an absolute classic. scary imagery might turn some people off though
  • Cardcaptor Sakura - another fantasy romance manga that is as classic as Sailor Moon. great manga for beginners
  • Twin Spica - grossly underrated/overlooked seinen manga about this girl wanting to be an astronaut despite her small physique
  • Yumeiro Patissiere
  • A Silent Voice

Oh, and if you like Madoka Magica, too:

yes this took a while to type lol, got surprised by so many replies by the time i was done
 
#7
Sep 16, 1:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 594
If you want to read horror, these are where I'd recommend you start:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/436/Uzumaki
https://myanimelist.net/manga/11974/Kyoufu_Jigoku_Shoujo
https://myanimelist.net/manga/12322/Kami_no_Hidarite_Akuma_no_Migite

One each from my 3 favorite horror authors.
 
#8
Sep 16, 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
Fario-P said:
I dunno, looks like you got a decent amount of stuff in your manga list... tho I guess it does look pretty small in comparison to your anime list.
Judging from the scoring on your manga list, it seems that you might like either psychological or romance series. Dunno if I can provide some good recommendations that can satisfy you but here's what I got
  • Princess Jellyfish - otaku girl meets crossdresser fashionista in this hilarious josei series
  • Yotsuba&! - slice-of-life manga fun for everyone! a great manga for beginners
  • Cosmo Familia* - a girl who has been left alone has to protect her home and her city from strange plush-like aliens called Cosmofs
  • The Electric Tale of Pikachu - a unique take on the Pokémon anime's story. infamous among Pokémon fans for all the wrong reasons
  • Pokémon Adventures - an interesting series that are strictly based off of the original Pokémon games (and not the anime). another great manga for beginners, especially for Pokéfans
  • Sailor Moon - epic fantasy romance manga and an absolute classic. scary imagery might turn some people off though
  • Cardcaptor Sakura - another fantasy romance manga that is as classic as Sailor Moon. great manga for beginners
  • Twin Spica - grossly underrated/overlooked seinen manga about this girl wanting to be an astronaut despite her small physique
  • Yumeiro Patissiere
  • A Silent Voice

Oh, and if you like Madoka Magica, too:

yes this took a while to type lol, got surprised by so many replies by the time i was done

Thank you so much for all the detailed suggestions! I hadn’t even thought of reading Pokémon even though it was my childhood
And I never knew there were so many Madoka Magica manga :0
 
#9
Sep 16, 1:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
H_Castaigne said:
If you want to read horror, these are where I'd recommend you start:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/436/Uzumaki
https://myanimelist.net/manga/11974/Kyoufu_Jigoku_Shoujo
https://myanimelist.net/manga/12322/Kami_no_Hidarite_Akuma_no_Migite

One each from my 3 favorite horror authors.

THANK YOUUU they seem like something I’d enjoy :D
 
Sep 16, 2:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 472
Zerefina said:
Fario-P said:
I dunno, looks like you got a decent amount of stuff in your manga list... tho I guess it does look pretty small in comparison to your anime list.
Judging from the scoring on your manga list, it seems that you might like either psychological or romance series. Dunno if I can provide some good recommendations that can satisfy you but here's what I got
  • Princess Jellyfish - otaku girl meets crossdresser fashionista in this hilarious josei series
  • Yotsuba&! - slice-of-life manga fun for everyone! a great manga for beginners
  • Cosmo Familia* - a girl who has been left alone has to protect her home and her city from strange plush-like aliens called Cosmofs
  • The Electric Tale of Pikachu - a unique take on the Pokémon anime's story. infamous among Pokémon fans for all the wrong reasons
  • Pokémon Adventures - an interesting series that are strictly based off of the original Pokémon games (and not the anime). another great manga for beginners, especially for Pokéfans
  • Sailor Moon - epic fantasy romance manga and an absolute classic. scary imagery might turn some people off though
  • Cardcaptor Sakura - another fantasy romance manga that is as classic as Sailor Moon. great manga for beginners
  • Twin Spica - grossly underrated/overlooked seinen manga about this girl wanting to be an astronaut despite her small physique
  • Yumeiro Patissiere
  • A Silent Voice

Oh, and if you like Madoka Magica, too:

yes this took a while to type lol, got surprised by so many replies by the time i was done

Thank you so much for all the detailed suggestions! I hadn’t even thought of reading Pokémon even though it was my childhood
And I never knew there were so many Madoka Magica manga :0

No problem! There's actually a lot more Madoka Magica manga than the ones I suggested, but those are just the ones I hear about the most. I'd personally recommend reading either The Different Story or Kazumi Magica if you want my word on which of the Madoka manga to start with.
 
Sep 16, 2:28 PM
 
Sep 16, 11:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41

Thank youuu, I definitely think I like psychological stuff more than most other genres so I’m sure I’ll enjoy all of those ^_^
 
Sep 17, 4:09 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 87
black cat: saw anime on your plan to watch list. the manga is pretty good but also short at only 20 volumes. the story is pretty slow as well since the first half is primarily spent setting stuff up but the second half is good. would reccomend for the action and plot alone.
you will hear the voices of the dead: kind of strange manga with a short story format around a central group of characters. the stories mostly centre around ghosts and urban legends but there are some pretty good stories and the series has some kind of cool moments.
 
Sep 17, 5:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
evolutionaryfox said:
black cat: saw anime on your plan to watch list. the manga is pretty good but also short at only 20 volumes. the story is pretty slow as well since the first half is primarily spent setting stuff up but the second half is good. would reccomend for the action and plot alone.
you will hear the voices of the dead: kind of strange manga with a short story format around a central group of characters. the stories mostly centre around ghosts and urban legends but there are some pretty good stories and the series has some kind of cool moments.

Thank youuuuu the last one seems quite interesting :D
 
Sep 17, 7:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 393
try Korea manga too, solo leveling.
 
Sep 17, 9:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
Stoorainclaire said:
try Korea manga too, solo leveling.

oooo manhwa is something I really need to read more of, thanks for the suggestion ^^
 
Top