Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 15, 6:34 PM

So, in the past few days I've been seriously thinking to do what in the past I tough is something I will not do in this life.... watch One Piece. Is long, too long, so I never believed I will give it my time... But now I want to watch it. Now, here is the problem, I am a bit undecided between watching the anime or read the manga. Generally, I am more of a manga guy, and I rarely watch anime, but I would like to enjoy the animated One Piece, at least for a while... mostly because I don't like how the 90's One Piece manga looks like. I did some research, and I notice that at least in the last few years, the anime makes a single manga chapter in 2 or even 3 episodes, sometimes adapting a whole 2 pages in an episode... That sucks. I watched the latest episode and it feels slow as fuck. Is amazing how little actually happened in it. I mean, if everything happened in 5 minutes, it would still feel dragged on... Anyway, I got through the wiki, and saw that in the beginning, the anime adapted normally -> 3 chapters to 1 episode. So now I am thinking of starting watching the anime, and then at some point, when it becomes too slow, to drop it for the manga. So, no I ask those of you who watched it - around where is the best to move from the anime to the manga?

Sep 15, 6:59 PM
The earliest you should consider switching to manga if you wanna start with anime is probably after episode 421, which concludes the last arc in which pacing issues are not yet noticeable. Manga from there starts at chapter 525.

BUT, that would mean you'll skip a major and controversial arc which looks pretty dope animated (though manga of that arc is in no doubt superior). So if you are still feeling the anime vibe after watching a bit past 421, I would stick to it until episode 522, where the best part of anime really concludes and manga loses it's old style completely. That means staring manga at chapter 603.

I would say combining anime and manga is the best approach, the late 90s and 00s animation of One Piece has it's charm. I did watch the anime until 2012 and then started reading manga, which I'm reading to this day, so I've had the excperience you seem to be curious about. One Piece might seem daunting at times, but it's an incredible journey if you stick to it.

Sep 15, 7:05 PM
I would personally recommend to read the manga rather than watching the anime. I have also read the manga first and although, initially you'd think that the art is kinda weird (like you mentioned) but you would get used to it by probably 3-4 volumes. The manga is way better than the anime and you won't have any fillers in it like in the anime. I would say to read the manga because that's probably the best way to enjoy One Piece and you can quickly go through the manga (I finished all 950 chapters in 20 days, given that it was my Summer break and I don't have a life) compared to the anime.
But it's my personal opinion and you can decide as you wish you want to do.

Sep 15, 7:05 PM

I did exactly that, and I think it was for the best. I would switch to the manga as soon as the time skip and definetely before the Dressrosa arc, when the anime slows to an almost halt. I'd also recommend skipping all the filler arcs, which are mostly very bad (with one possible exception).

Sep 15, 7:13 PM
I started with the anime and then switched to manga. I dont regret. but i recommend you that watch the first anime chapter and manga and you choose what you like most

Sep 15, 7:14 PM
Oh, and one more thing...

if it's possible for you, I would watch the old, non-hd version of the episodes until around episode 330. The HD version often lacks animation fluidity and removes a lot of small but immersive details.

Sep 15, 9:01 PM

You can believe in wiki/fandom about this for more objective answer. I am too lazy to calculate, you can calculate it by yourself to find when the pace become really unbearable. https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Story_Arcs

Sep 16, 1:50 AM

"How to enjoy One Piece..."
If you are such a manga guy, go with it, only listen to the music of the anime.

Sep 16, 3:06 AM
Forum Moderator
Just read the manga. It's by far the best choice.
We can be happy, when the cicadas cry.

Sep 16, 3:14 AM

I would at least watch until episode 421 and no further than episode 516.

Sep 16, 5:48 PM

How to enjoy it? um, let's see. Are you around 5 years of age and is this your first anime? if not, then good luck otherwise. A kid watches it, grows up, gives it up and repeat.

Sep 16, 6:50 PM
Kurt_Irving said:
How to enjoy it? um, let's see. Are you around 5 years of age and is this your first anime? if not, then good luck otherwise. A kid watches it, grows up, gives it up and repeat.
Kurt_Irving said:

why do you talk like that?
just because you dropped one piece and didn't like it, doesn't mean you spread your hatred.
let people experience it themselves, if end up like it or not that's not a problem, because everyone has their own thoughts.

but i admit, when it comes to a popular series, there will always be haters everywhere & you're one of them.

Sep 16, 6:56 PM
粉ミルク♡

if you're a just occasionally manga reader just watch the anime but if you love read comics you should read the manga, in anyways you'll have so much fun because both are good.

Sep 16, 7:55 PM

I stopped watching one piece for a few years and recently finished the arc I had stopped at. I highly recommend watching "One Pace" because it deals with the pacing problems of the episodes that occur after the time skip.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕

Sep 17, 7:27 AM

Korrvo said:
I stopped watching one piece for a few years and recently finished the arc I had stopped at. I highly recommend watching "One Pace" because it deals with the pacing problems of the episodes that occur after the time skip.

Oh, cool... I was thinking the other day that a condensed of One Piece could be done, and would be nice if such thing existed, but due to the share scale of the anime, I didn't expect that someone really did it. I guess this is an option too for the second half when the anime slows down too much.

Sep 17, 7:51 AM

Hyperizon119 said:
Kurt_Irving said:
Kurt_Irving said:

just because you dropped one piece and didn't like it, doesn't mean you spread your hatred.
let people experience it themselves, if end up like it or not that's not a problem, because everyone has their own thoughts.

but i admit, when it comes to a popular series, there will always be haters everywhere & you're one of them.

these OP , naruto, FT type of series are aimed at kids tho, and its very noticeable in the writing...

Sep 17, 10:54 AM

BestBoiEren said:
Hyperizon119 said:

these OP , naruto, FT type of series are aimed at kids tho, and its very noticeable in the writing...

Lol... No, they aren't. They are aimed at teenagers and above. Anything that needs to be censored when airs on kids channel, is not for children. Did you guys forget already what happened when 4Kids aired One Piece? And Naruto was on Toonami, and late-night on Jetix, on programs that targeted teens and still got censored. One Piece is too violent, Naruto is the same, and has some pretty mature and dark themes about wars, discrimination, hate, etc. And Fairy Tail has too many boobs and ass for children. So no, they are not for children, not even by Japan standards (that why they have Yokai Watch and Doraemon), they are for teens and young adults. As for the writing, I don't know what sort of gifted +200 IQ kid you were, but when I was a child, the writing in the cartoons I watched included rainbow valleys, magical pens and counting ducks... Definitely not story about wars, about oppression, death... especially death - I mean, if I would have grown up exclusively with cartoons and hadn't been to a funeral before being 12yo, I would have very well believed that we are immortal because death didn't exist in cartoons.

Sep 17, 1:11 PM

kronopy said:
BestBoiEren said:

Lol... No, they aren't. They are aimed at teenagers and above. Anything that needs to be censored when airs on kids channel, is not for children. Did you guys forget already what happened when 4Kids aired One Piece? And Naruto was on Toonami, and late-night on Jetix, on programs that targeted teens and still got censored. One Piece is too violent, Naruto is the same, and has some pretty mature and dark themes about wars, discrimination, hate, etc. And Fairy Tail has too many boobs and ass for children. So no, they are not for children, not even by Japan standards (that why they have Yokai Watch and Doraemon), they are for teens and young adults. As for the writing, I don't know what sort of gifted +200 IQ kid you were, but when I was a child, the writing in the cartoons I watched included rainbow valleys, magical pens and counting ducks... Definitely not story about wars, about oppression, death... especially death - I mean, if I would have grown up exclusively with cartoons and hadn't been to a funeral before being 12yo, I would have very well believed that we are immortal because death didn't exist in cartoons.

you can believe that if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong about this

Sep 17, 1:22 PM

There is only one answer, and it is switching at end of Robin flashback, after watching episode 278

It is the point where anime change from adapting 2 chapters per episode to 1 chapter per episode, and I regret not switching at that point. I watched few hundred episodes more after that, but slow pace and declining quality is bearable

It is the only good way to enjoy one piece, other than reading manga from the start

Also, you like Spirit Circle? Great taste :D
Modified by Zeruk, Sep 17, 1:26 PM

Sep 17, 1:51 PM
I'd say the most enjoyable parts of One Piece were the small and adventure scenes with the crew bonding. The manga for it is good, but the anime does these parts better.

Thus, you should watch until episode 517 to get nearly the full experience. Up until 517 episodes, the pacing, comedy, interactions, and everything is just better than episodes 517-900.

You could always read the manga and then watch certain arcs animated. Or also use One Pace, but it does take away parts of One Piece.

Sep 17, 4:17 PM

Reading the main arcs in the wiki left me a bit confused..
I already know that the anime has some arcs that you can skip and various pacing issues.
but what about the manga? is every arc important? or you can also skip arcs there?

Sep 17, 5:16 PM
I don't understand the question, you just watch it and enjoyment happens. That's normally how I enjoy any anime that I, well, enjoy. If you have to come up with complicated plans, then it's probably easier to just find something else to watch that gives you enjoyment without you having to 'work' for it.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Sep 17, 5:24 PM
Kurt_Irving said:

Best answer. Watching One Piece is the most pointless thing I've done in my entire life.