Forum Settings
Forums

Current state of the Pakistan Club and the way forward.

New
Sep 15, 2019 6:01 PM

Jun 2009
Salaam guys and girls!

I'm Chai, one of the older admins, and I drop by MAL rarely given my irl responsibilities.

I noticed some newer members joining and leaving comments like "Is this club dead?", "This club is dead", "It's a shame no one is here anymore" and "I went thru the older threads...WHY WASN'T I BORN 6 YEARS AGO??".

So I wanted to post my thoughts on the potential of the club and leave with some tips on how to keep it active. I'll also choose a couple admins who use MAL more frequently than me and hopefully they can help out as well.

If you are interested, then pls read :) if not, well....then pls pls pls still read :P

Member activity history (can skip this if too long)=
I know this club isn't very active anymore. Most of the regulars became busy with their lives and the club slowly became dead over time.

The founder (janglijagga) broke his leg one day swinging from a tree, got busy with setting up his carpet business and slowly became inactive. The 1st gen ppl mostly left due to starting their first job, getting married or starting their Masters/PhDs. Eyerok still frequents MAL tho, im pretty sure (sorry for exposing your presence, Mr. O :P). I see Jaded here now and then, but I think she's not that into anime anymore. Jaded actually made the club's front page graphic. I myself don't watch anime as much anymore even though I still like it.

I think the 2nd gen ppl became inactive due to education mostly and moving out of their city.

The 3rd gen I'm not so sure. But yea it's been pretty dead for the past 1-2 years.

What this club means to me (can skip this if too long)=
This club helped me find other Pakistani ppl around my age and made me feel less alone about being a Pakistani anime fan who had recently moved to a new country. Anime fans were a lot rarer 10-12 years ago, especially in Pakistan. I made friends with some pretty cool, funny, interesting ppl over the years from this club and even added a bunch on fb after we got to know each other.

We actively scouted and recruited new Pakistani members on MAL, discussed cricket with each other and sometimes with the India anime club, did role-playing threads, created graphics for the club (badges/front banner/etc), discussed anime, argued over the best male/female characters, argued over the best emoji (lol) and did other fun stuff. We were even hacked once when we were a private club and you needed to request access. Someone got in and posted obscene pics I heard. I don't remember seeing them but Dramon (another 1st gen admin) told me b/c I missed it. There were some heated, passive-aggressive arguments but everything simmered down into friendship again. We even posted pictures of ourselves (for a couple days, then took them down so only ppl participating in that thread could see them). You can find it in the past threads. It was a lot of fun :)

After many 1st gen ppl left I would keep the club active by myself. But now that I have other responsibilities so I do not have time to stimulate activity here.

But this is where YOU, young and energetic member, come in.

Your role and tips on how to keep the club active=
Just like the 1st/2nd/3rd gen regulars, it is now time for the next gen of members to spearhead activity in this club.

If you want to make this club vibrant again, reach out to other Pakistanis and engage with them here. Initiating conversations, forming friendships, maintaining friendships and maintaining activity is how you will keep the Pakistan club alive. This is the simple secret behind how we did it and how MAL clubs do it.

Some tips from my experience=

1. Recruiting: Use the Search feature on MAL to search for new Pakistani members. Set the location to Pakistan or try city names. This may not find ALL the Pakistani folks since we also have ppl living in other countries as well.

2. So you can search for them or wait on them to join. Send Friend Requests to those ppl you find, introduce them to the club and ask them to join.

3. Ask these lovely new folks about themselves, what they do, which city they live in (if they're comfortable providing that info) and obviously what anime/m anga they're currently into, their anime/manga preferences, history etc.

4. Find out who you click with personality-wise, geographically (same city etc), anime taste-wise, manga-wise, etc.

5. Keep in touch with them by chatting with them. Discussing your fav anime/manga, recommendations etc. Ask them in a friendly way to check out the club and have fun with others.

6. Engaging with everyone in the club: Initiating threads regarding recent anime/manga, doing a role-play thread, opinion-based poll threads, introductions thread, anime recommendations, anime tiers lists for the season, creating club badges (just small badge sized pics ppl can put on their MAL profile as a gif/jpeg/etc that show they are Pakistan club members), tips on how to customize your MAL profiles, post funny videos abt anime/manga/live action OR BASICALLY ANYTHING ELSE THAT SEEMS FUN! Also check out other clubs and copy their ideas. Check past threads in this club.

7. Please organize a new graphic for the front page of the club, I think Jaded removed the old one or the link expired. I sent her a msg abt it but don't bank on it. We still need to update the front page. Reach out to an active admin abt updating the graphic once someone makes it.

8. Remember that it is EACH and EVERY member's responsibility to create a respectable, friendly environment. Ofc the admins will help with this but the responsibility falls on everyone partaking in the discussion.

9. Lastly, please do remember that the club is just a platform. The members are it's life. We created this club from scratch and pumped life into it because we wanted it. If you want to see an active Pakistani club on MAL (the biggest, most active, English-language anime community on the internet) then you will have to work for it. I admit it's not easy. You will have to spend some time talking to others and getting them involved but it will be worth in the end, I promise.

10. Know that it gets easier with time. Once you have a couple ppl coming in and talking here, others will see it's active and they will join in eventually. You might not have 100s active, but you will create stronger and deeper friendships. Ya'll might even meet irl, who knows?

The challenge=
So you might ask, why is this old fart still writing this long-ass post? Well because this club helped me a lot in the past and I want to make one last attempt at reviving it. So to anyone reading this post:

I leave YOU, new member, with a challenge. If you want to make friendships with like-minded Pakistani anime/manga fans and have fun talking to them about it, then you need to step in and make this club active !!!

All the best,
Chai_
<3

P.S
You are welcome to msg me or leave a post on my profile. Just know that I only occasionally check MAL now.
Chai_Sep 15, 2019 6:13 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Ramadan Mubarak

blazinc - Apr 2, 2022

0 by blazinc »»
Apr 2, 2022 12:14 PM

» Shahzor Urdu Fighting Game *insert appropriate accent*

teenoli - Dec 21, 2011

6 by SushiPie »»
May 17, 2021 7:53 AM

» Ramadan Mubarak![late]

blazinc - Apr 19, 2021

0 by blazinc »»
Apr 19, 2021 7:53 AM

» Winter Animes

blazinc - Mar 22, 2021

0 by blazinc »»
Mar 22, 2021 2:21 AM

» What anime left the strongest impression on you? And for how long were you hungover it?

ShiroNeko89 - Feb 11, 2014

18 by removed-user »»
Jan 27, 2021 8:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.