Forum Settings
Forums

Which genres are most heavily represented in your favorites list? And which are nowhere to be found?

New
Sep 14, 2019 3:56 PM

Jun 2019
As the title says. After the recent top five thread, I had this idea while reviewing something in my favorites.

Which genres show up the most frequently in your top 10 (or whichever number you have in your favorites, if it's less or more than 10)? Which aren't included at all by any of your chosen shows? And does this way of checking it line up in your mind with your ideas of what your favorite/least favorite genres were or is something surprisingly absent or overrepresented?

For me, to mild surprise, the one most common among my favorites was Supernatural (listed on 6 distinct entries), followed equally by Mystery (5), Romance (5), and Drama (5).

Edit: Decided to flesh out my full list.

After that in descending order, it's:

Psychological - 4
Adventure - 4
Action - 4
Sci-Fi - 3
Fantasy - 3
Demons - 2
Comedy - 2
Shounen - 2
Seinen - 2
Slice of Life - 2
Thriller - 2
Horror - 2
Historical - 1
Magic - 1
Military - 1
Dementia - 1
Vampire - 1

Nowhere to be found in any of my entries was Harem, Ecchi, Hentai, Kids, Cars, Game, Josei, Martial Arts, Mecha, Music, Parody, Police, Samurai, School, Shoujo, Shoujo Ai, Shounen Ai, Space, Sports, Super Power, Yaoi, or Yuri.

If you can't be bothered looking them up, you don't have to be that specific number-wise, but offer comment on the general trend from your entries.

WatchTillTandavaSep 14, 2019 5:27 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2019 4:03 PM

Jul 2017
Well, romance considering all sans Gintama have them, 3 of them have them but for whatever reason MAL doesn't list them.

obvious exclusions are yuri, yaoi (although if I had an extended favorites list I'd definitely put Given in there) and surprisingly sports

edit: going into specifics:

Comedy - 7
Romance - 6
Slice of Life - 4
Drama - 4
Action - 2
Seinen - 3
Cars - 1
Action - 2
Sci-fi - 2
Supernatural - 2
Sports - 1
School - 1
Horror - 1
Psychological - 1
Historical - 1
Parody - 1
Shounen - 1
Samurai - 1
Mystery - 1
Vampire - 1
Adventure - 1
Game - 1
Fantasy - 1

Obviously some genres like comedy aren't really saying much since even having the slightest dick joke earns that tag. Romance like I said, 3 shows aren't listed with the genre (Hanasaku Iroha, Initial D, Parasyte), while they each do have romance in them, and arguably more romance than some shows that are actually listed as romance (like Karakai Jouzu Takagi-san or Mekakucity Actors for instance)
Short_CircutSep 14, 2019 8:19 PM
Sep 14, 2019 4:08 PM
Jan 2017
Shounen, Slice of Life, and Mecha are dominant in my favorites list. Mecha isn't really what I consider my preferred genre, but I do consider SoL and Shounen some of my favorite genres. Ecchi and harem is completely absent which is to be expected as in general I hate those genres. Not really any horror in there either, which lines up with the fact that I do not like it that much. No Shounen/Shoujo Ai on there but I do like those genres (if there actually done well, that is.)

Overall, I'd say the genres in my favorites are pretty fitting to my taste.
Sep 14, 2019 4:13 PM

May 2018
My tastes vary a lot. I like many different genres. I guess my favorites (things I gave 8-10) most frequently have Sc-Fi and Psychological tags.
The least are Shoujo Ai/Shounen Ai/Shoujo. Not just because it's bad but because there are really too few good things there.
Nowhere to be found is Ecchi and Harem. I'm really an implacable hater of these genres and despise its fans

Sep 14, 2019 4:15 PM

May 2016
My Top 10 consists of:

Drama - 9
Action - 7
Comedy - 5
Fantasy - 5
Sci-Fi - 3
Slice of Life - 2
Isekai - 1
Sports - 1
Romance - 1

I sure do like my dramas, I guess.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 14, 2019 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
(Dark) Fantasy is my favorite genre, you can see that clearly there and demographic-wise most of my favorites are battle Shounen tbh.

I also put my favorite SOLs / Drama / Romances atm in addition to them in my favorite list. They aren't my absolutely top favorites, but still, they are ranked very high, also in attachment.
Sep 14, 2019 4:35 PM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
The ones that appear the most are
Action-5
Drama-4
Fantasy-4
Mystery-4
School-4
Super Power-4

Pretty accurate with a mix of other genres in there.
I tend to stray away from stuff like Cop, Dementia, Sports, Yaoi and Shoujo.
Sep 14, 2019 4:56 PM

Nov 2018
My favorite genre is Shonen/Drama and Psychological.
But fav list is pretty mixed up
1.Action-5
2.Comedy-5
3.Shonen-3
4.Drama-3
5.Sinen-3
6.Game-3
7.School-3
8.Supernatural-2
8.Harem/Ecchi-1
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 14, 2019 5:01 PM

Jul 2013
Darker fantasy/sci-fi is mostly what my favorites consist of, I hate mech anime with the exception of Code Geass since it was never really all about the mechs
Sep 14, 2019 5:06 PM

May 2019
Seems my favorites comprise of action, drama, comedy, supernatural, and mystery shows.
Sep 14, 2019 5:15 PM

Aug 2016
This looks fun....

Given the limitation of 10 favorites:

Action: 6

4-way tie for 2nd place with 4 a piece
Comedy
Drama
Sci-Fi
Shounen (if this counts)

2-way tie with 3
Military
Supernatural

5-way tie with 2
Adventure
Fantasy
Magic
Seinen (if this counts)
Thriller

And then 10-way tie with 1. Not gonna list them all.

Tags not included:
Cars, Dementia, Demons, Ecchi, Harem, Hentai, Horror, Josei, Kids, Martial Arts, Music, Mystery, Romance, School, Shoujo, Shoujo Ai, Shounen Ai, Super Power, Vampire, Yaoi, Yuri

Romance and School are the biggest tags with overall duration and amount of entries without having a single favorite of the top 10 from me. I don't include kids since I don't focus on watching kid shows.

I do like my thrillers, but given the number of entries tagged as thrillers, it's already well represented. Action being first is not a surprise. While I do like action, there are quite of bad action shows that were watched too so I believe it got first based on sheer volume rather than that genre is my absolute favorite. Romance not being there isn't a surprise, since I generally dislike shows when romance is the main plot and find them difficult to enjoy (2nd worst weighted rankings). I would say the biggest surprise is mystery not being in my favorite despite it being 3rd all-time in weighted tag scores (2nd if you exclude shounen)
MechKingKillbotSep 14, 2019 5:23 PM
Sep 14, 2019 5:31 PM

May 2009
https://anime.plus/GlennMagusHarvey/favorites,anime

(NOTE: I think this is "everything on my list except for PTW", NOT just "everything I've finished". Unfortunately, anime.plus doesn't yet have a way to list the latter.)

rank/genre/count/mean/weighted/time
1 Action 134 6.73 6.73 427.72h
2 Comedy 109 6.37 6.56 225.73h
3 Sci-Fi 102 6.75 6.74 332.48h
4 Fantasy 98 6.50 6.60 270.63h
5 Drama 75 7.22 6.98 242.53h
6 Adventure 69 7.32 6.99 174.65h
7 Magic 52 6.97 6.82 191.30h
8 Romance 52 6.53 6.65 182.22h
9 School 47 6.21 6.54 122.07h
10 Shounen 39 6.74 6.73 85.07h
11 Mecha 39 6.07 6.48 167.75h
12 Slice of Life 33 7.21 6.83 97.97h
13 Supernatural 31 7.17 6.85 70.67h
14 Ecchi 26 4.94 6.28 61.15h
15 Music 19 7.42 6.87 48.97h
16 Super Power 18 7.11 6.79 61.42h
17 Mystery 17 7.57 6.84 50.85h
18 Military 17 7.29 6.87 62.32h
19 Harem 17 4.40 6.33 35.05h
20 Game 16 5.40 6.62 28.67h

Observations:

* Sci-fi and fantasy as my top two setting genres is consistent with what I know about my tastes. Drama and Adventure as highly-represented story type genres also make sense.
* I don't even particularly like anime comedy that much, so it's a surprise it shows up so high on the list, but then again, shows like Chaika, Magic Knight Rayearth, Angel Beats, and Nanoha are all labeled "comedy", and I wouldn't readily call any of them comedy...I mean, they all have elements of comedy, but that's not the focus, in my opinion. So "comedy" is probably overapplied, at least in my opinion.
* Action is...arguably overapplied, or arguably not overapplied but just simply a very broad genre, as it encompasses basically everything with combat of some sort. And given how I do watch a lot of fantasy stuff, combat is quite common, even if it's not the main focus.
* The rest of the list is generally seems to be the miscellaneous genres I've picked up.
* I'm surprised Game isn't higher since I actually tend to like game-based anime series, though that's probably because they're very correlated with fantasy stuff, particularly swords-and-sorcery fantasy. And yeah, I can't actually think of that many game-related anime series that I've watched.
* While they don't make up all that much of my list, Ecchi and Harem are a bit surprisingly high in this list ranked by count, given that they're genres I don't like. Though when I think about it it makes sense because there's a disproportionate number of fantasy series that I've tried out that fall into these genres. (My overall opinion of them is also reflected in the mean scores of the categories, which are noticeably lower than their neighbors.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 14, 2019 5:34 PM

Mar 2012
Comedy: IIIII
Harem: IIII
Romance: IIII
Supernatural: III
Shounen: III
Drama: III
School: III
Action: II
Fantasy: II
Music: II
Magic: I
Slice of Life: I
Demon: I
Ecchi: I
Game: I

Comedy master race as always. Though I think the definition of SoL need to be revamped since I always though Shirobako as SoL series. Anyway quite colorful list isn't it?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 14, 2019 5:41 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I only keep 5 on my favorites because I dislike having a drop down. It looks unaesthetic to me.

Ecchi: 4
Comedy: 3
Shounen: 3
Harem: 2
Romance: 2
School: 2
Horror: 1
Supernatural: 1
Sci-Fi: 1
Game: 1
Psychological: 1
Thriller: 1
Seinen: 1
Sports: 1
Drama: 1

Ecchi at the top with 4, followed by comedy and shounen at 3, and harem, romance, and school at 2. Anything else is at 1. A lot of those 1s come from Kaiji, which I think had 0 crossover genres with any of my other favorites.

I think that describes what I tend to like the most very well, actually.
ManabanSep 14, 2019 5:45 PM

Sep 14, 2019 5:44 PM

Sep 2017
Let's see what my top 10 tells about me :

-> Supernatural : 7
-> Mystery : 5
-> Adventure : 4
-> Historical : 4
-> Drama : 4
-> Sci-Fi : 4
-> Action : 4
-> Fantasy : 3
-> Comedy : 3

Interesting
Sep 14, 2019 5:45 PM

Mar 2018
Skipped Shounen/Seinen and only picked genres that appear more than twice.

Action - 7
Drama - 6 (for some reason Samurai Champloo, Seirei no Moribito and Psycho Pass don't have this tag, I can at least understand HxH but damn)
Adventure - 5
Fantasy - 4
Psychological- 3
Comedy- 3

Not surprised, I love action and drama. Don't expect this to change anytime soon because both of them are broad genres offering a variety of other stuff
EsquirtitSep 14, 2019 6:10 PM
poop
Sep 14, 2019 5:57 PM

Dec 2017
Action - 6
Drama - 5/4
Comedy - 4
SoL - 3
School - 3
Fantasy - 3
Mecha - 3/2
Sci-fi - 3/2
Supernatural - 2
Psychological - 2/1
Dementia - 2/1
Game - 1
Seinen - 1
Shoujo - 1
Shounen - 1
Magic - 1
Adventure - 1
Romance - 1
Super Power - 1
Ecchi - 1

The slashes are there for overlap between Evangelion and End of Evangelion. Also I'd definitely disagree with some of the designations (specifically for Kyousougiga) for these genres but according to MAL this is the spread

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Sep 14, 2019 6:46 PM

Oct 2010
Picking my favourites listed at Anilist since I think the top10 of MAL is a bit reductive to my current tastes. Out of 27 entries listed there, the list stands like this:

Drama 13
Comedy 11
Slice of life 11
Adventure 10
Psychological 8
Romance 7
Fantasy 6
Mystery 6
Action 5
Historical 4
Seinen 4
Supernatural 4
Dementia 3
School 3
Sci-Fi 3
Horror 2
Game
Josei
Magic
Police
Shoujo
Shounen
Space
Thriller

Not represented: Cars, Demons, Ecchi, Harem, Hentai, Kids, Martial Arts, Mecha, Military, Music, Parody, Samurai, Shoujo Si, Shounen Ai, Sports, Superpower, Vampire, Yaoi, Yuri.

The only surprise here is seeing Adventure and Slice of life go hand to hand. Most of the top genres are very wide and ill-defined so it's normal that they have a lot of entries in my list.
Sep 14, 2019 7:26 PM

Jun 2014
According to MAL:

Drama - 5
Action - 5

Mystery - 4
Thriller - 4

Psychological - 3
Sci-Fi - 3

Police - 2
Fantasy - 2
Military - 2
Mecha - 2
Comedy - 2

Super Power
Space
Romance
Dementia
Slice of Life
Horror
School
Adventure
Supernatural

I don't consider Death Note as a mystery.
Steins Gate should have Mystery and Drama tag.
Police, military, super power, and school are not a genre.
MAL should separate genre, demographics, settings and etc.
Sep 14, 2019 7:50 PM

Nov 2018
Action - 9
Comedy - 7
Supernatural - 5
Mystery - 4
Shounen - 3
Seinen - 3
Adventure - 2
Drama - 2
Fantasy - 2
Historical - 2
School - 2
Super Power - 2
Slice of Life - 1
Military - 1
Magic - 1
Sci-Fi - 1
Parody - 1
Romance - 1
Vampire - 1

Lots of variety, while still being highly concentrated in action and comedy.
Sep 14, 2019 8:18 PM

Sep 2016
Most frequent genres in my top 10 list:

Mystery: 6
Supernatural: 5
Psychological: 4
Horror: 4
Thriller: 3
Sci-Fi: 3
Slice of Life: 3
Romance: 3
School: 3
Drama: 2
Fantasy: 2
Vampire: 2
Comedy: 2
Action: 1
Harem: 1
Parody: 1
Shounen: 1
Magic: 1
Dementia: 1

Most frequent genres in all of my favourites:

Mystery: 15
Supernatural: 15
Psychological: 13
Thriller: 10
Romance: 9
Comedy: 8
Drama: 7
Sci-Fi: 7
Horror: 6
Fantasy: 6
Slice of Life: 6
Action: 6
Vampire: 4
Magic: 4
School: 4
Shounen: 4
*Police: 3
*Adventure: 2
Seinen: 2
Harem: 2
Parody: 1
*Super Power: 1
*Ecchi: 1

The genres marked with an asterisk don't appear in my top 10 list.

I currently have 30 favourite anime out of 206 that I completed. In the 'all of my favourites' list, there are some series that appear more than once, but I included them because the individual anime themselves are still separate entries. All my favourite anime are in my profile so you can check that if you want.

This is an interesting thread because I didn't realise until now how prevalent the Supernatural genre is among my favourite anime. I edited my profile to include that. My other favourite genres are in fact Psychological, Thriller, Horror, Mystery and Drama so it's quite accurate. I still consider Horror and Drama as part of my favourite genres despite being somewhat under-represented. What is NOT accurate however, is anime.plus telling me that I 'like' Slice of Life more than Supernatural and that I 'like' Ecchi more than Horror, for example. Only because the system looks at the weighted score and mean score of genres you watched and then thinks you like them more than genres that are rated lower. Humans aren't robots so that's not how it works, anime.plus. Ecchi is actually one of my least favourite genres because I don't care about fanservice in anime and I even consider it detrimental sometimes.

One other important thing to be aware of, is that the tags underneath anime pages on MAL aren't always accurate. Many anime are tagged as Romance even if characters don't confess to each other at all, and there are anime like School Days that aren't tagged as Psychological despite characters clearly having abnormal mental states. Some of my favourites have inaccurate tags, which means the two lists above are also not entirely accurate. This is why you should always take MAL tags and the 'Favourite genres' section in anime.plus with a grain of salt.
Apoc_RevolutionSep 14, 2019 9:04 PM

Sep 14, 2019 8:32 PM
Jul 2019
most common: mystery, adventure and fantasy
appear nowhere: music, romance
Sep 14, 2019 9:04 PM

Jun 2019
Some fabulous posts in here.

Apoc_Revolution said:
This is an interesting thread because I didn't realise until now how prevalent the Supernatural genre is among my favourite anime. I will edit my profile to include that.

Yes, since Supernatural ended up being my highest of all genres, I did stop to reflect on it as this struck me a bit as well. Previously I had been aware of all the genre tags, but never actually tallied them up so to see that one take the highest number was interesting. I think of it like this - I don't see myself as seeking out stories which define themselves as being supernatural in and of itself as that alone isn't enough basis for a great story, but many of the great stories just so happen to have a supernatural component. Some of these stories could be told in a way that they didn't have said supernatural component, but they might be lesser versions of themselves. Supernatural brings in the mystical, cosmic, and otherworldly. As a genre added to other genres, it can make a small-scale conflict or mission in the story into such an intense or existential one, so it's like seasoning that's gone unnoticed but elevated a lot of these amazing stories to the level they're at.

Supernatural, that underappreciated guy in the corner. Maybe overworked and overused, but vital to some stories. It's such a broad genre when you stop to think about it. It's basically just any show which contains supernatural phenomena, itself hard to define. So generally, anything which transcends the limits of the presently known natural world. That leaves a universe of possibilities.

Apoc_Revolution said:
I still consider Horror as one of my favourite genres despite being under-represented, there just aren't many Horror anime in general I think, let alone very good ones.

And what's more, some of those with a horror tag I do like I really wouldn't properly consider horror. Higurashi is an example. Also in my favorites list, I recognize the first season of the show has horror features to it, but don't consider the show overall an actual horror (as far as it being the dominant genre). Since some shows have separate database entries for different seasons and since Higurashi is one of those and I prefer the second season to the first, I listed that second season in my favorites, and lo and behold, the second, which really brings more plot and depth to the story, doesn't have a horror tag.

Berserk, also in my favorites, has a horror tag, but again, wouldn't consider this show primarily a horror. Again, parts of the story are horror, but a good 90% of it is adventure, action, and drama, with a lot of focus on battles and political intrigue. A show or movie that's labeled a horror is generally trying to be a horror for the majority of its runtime.

Another example is Elfen Lied. Although not in my favorites, it's a show I like with the horror tag, but the "horror" is just gore/Splatter (I know somewhere has that Splatter tag) and most of it's drama, tragic/transgressive romance, and in its most horrific, psychological/thriller. It's never really trying to scare the audience. A fine distinction perhaps, but these labels wouldn't stand up to scrutiny if compared to how films are labeled horror. None of them are horror in that way.

And I don't just mean based on what is or not "scary", because that differs based on every individual, and I'm effectively desensitized to actually being scared by any horror, anime or live or whatever, but that's besides the point. I mean some of the examples listed above just use a device or creature usually seen in horror in the same way a story might have a sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural component, but isn't dominated by those genres. And to consider anything horror, you'd have to assume it'd be dominant; the leading genre of the anime.

I've only seen one anime I would actually consider a horror and that would be Shiki. Not scary, but I'm just too jaded and was watching horror films at 10, so to me nothing fictional really is, and that's quite alright. I don't aim to be scared but to witness a great story, no different than with any other genre. Maybe horror is so under served in anime because some of either the best critically or commercially successful anime that have a legacy behind them with the horror tag just aren't actual horrors, so the industry will take note of that.

Apoc_Revolution said:
One other important thing to be aware of, is that the tags underneath anime pages on MAL aren't always accurate. Many anime are tagged as Romance even if characters don't confess to each other at all, and there are anime like School Days that aren't tagged as Psychological despite characters clearly having abnormal mental states. This is why you should always take MAL tags and the 'Favourite genres' section in anime.plus with a grain of salt.

This is precisely how I feel about the Comedy tags. Almost every show/film/book/etc. ever produced has some comic relief. MAL takes that comic relief for a lot of shows and gives it a fully Comedy tag, maybe giving the genre the appearance of more presence and standing than it actually has. And on these shows, a Comedy tag is prioritized over Drama, when there is clearly more of the latter. A show can have 90% drama and 10% comedy/comic relief/just basic levity or a few lighthearted moments, and the Drama tag is put down at the end of the list or often non-existent.
WatchTillTandavaSep 14, 2019 9:14 PM
Sep 14, 2019 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
Adventure - 5
Slice of Life - 2
Mystery - 3
Historical - 2
Supernatural - 4
Fantasy - 2
Seinen - 2
Drama - 4
Romance - 1
Dementia - 1
Horror - 1
Psychological - 1
Action - 6
Mecha - 1
Military - 1
Sci-Fi - 1
School - 2
Shounen - 3
Shoujo - 1
Comedy - 4
Sports - 1
Super power - 1
Sep 15, 2019 12:20 AM

Sep 2016
WatchTillTandava said:
Some fabulous posts in here.

Apoc_Revolution said:
This is an interesting thread because I didn't realise until now how prevalent the Supernatural genre is among my favourite anime. I will edit my profile to include that.

Yes, since Supernatural ended up being my highest of all genres, I did stop to reflect on it as this struck me a bit as well. Previously I had been aware of all the genre tags, but never actually tallied them up so to see that one take the highest number was interesting. I think of it like this - I don't see myself as seeking out stories which define themselves as being supernatural in and of itself as that alone isn't enough basis for a great story, but many of the great stories just so happen to have a supernatural component. Some of these stories could be told in a way that they didn't have said supernatural component, but they might be lesser versions of themselves. Supernatural brings in the mystical, cosmic, and otherworldly. As a genre added to other genres, it can make a small-scale conflict or mission in the story into such an intense or existential one, so it's like seasoning that's gone unnoticed but elevated a lot of these amazing stories to the level they're at.

Supernatural, that underappreciated guy in the corner. Maybe overworked and overused, but vital to some stories. It's such a broad genre when you stop to think about it. It's basically just any show which contains supernatural phenomena, itself hard to define. So generally, anything which transcends the limits of the presently known natural world. That leaves a universe of possibilities.

It's the same for me, many of my favourites happen to have Supernatural elements. It would be difficult for a Supernatural show to become one of my favourites if it doesn't have any of my other favourite genres. In that sense, Supernatural is a lesser favourite genre of mine. But like Psychological, Thriller, Mystery, Horror and Drama, the Supernatural does often make shows more interesting to watch and that is something I value more than just simple entertainment. An anime that doesn't have these genres would have to be exceptional to become one of my favourites. I believe only Aria The Natural & Aria The Origination have accomplished that so far.

WatchTillTandava said:

Apoc_Revolution said:
I still consider Horror as one of my favourite genres despite being under-represented, there just aren't many Horror anime in general I think, let alone very good ones.

And what's more, some of those with a horror tag I do like I really wouldn't properly consider horror. Higurashi is an example. Also in my favorites list, I recognize the first season of the show has horror features to it, but don't consider the show overall an actual horror (as far as it being the dominant genre). Since some shows have separate database entries for different seasons and since Higurashi is one of those and I prefer the second season to the first, I listed that second season in my favorites, and lo and behold, the second, which really brings more plot and depth to the story, doesn't have a horror tag.

Berserk, also in my favorites, has a horror tag, but again, wouldn't consider this show primarily a horror. Again, parts of the story are horror, but a good 90% of it is adventure, action, and drama, with a lot of focus on battles and political intrigue. A show or movie that's labeled a horror is generally trying to be a horror for the majority of its runtime.

Another example is Elfen Lied. Although not in my favorites, it's a show I like with the horror tag, but the "horror" is just gore/Splatter (I know somewhere has that Splatter tag) and most of it's drama, tragic/transgressive romance, and in its most horrific, psychological/thriller. It's never really trying to scare the audience. A fine distinction perhaps, but these labels wouldn't stand up to scrutiny if compared to how films are labeled horror. None of them are horror in that way.

And I don't just mean based on what is or not "scary", because that differs based on every individual, and I'm effectively desensitized to actually being scared by any horror, anime or live or whatever, but that's besides the point. I mean some of the examples listed above just use a device or creature usually seen in horror in the same way a story might have a sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural component, but isn't dominated by those genres. And to consider anything horror, you'd have to assume it'd be dominant; the leading genre of the anime.

I've only seen one anime I would actually consider a horror and that would be Shiki. Not scary, but I'm just too jaded and was watching horror films at 10, so to me nothing fictional really is, and that's quite alright. I don't aim to be scared but to witness a great story, no different than with any other genre. Maybe horror is so under served in anime because some of either the best critically or commercially successful anime that have a legacy behind them with the horror tag just aren't actual horrors, so the industry will take note of that.

I consider Higurashi no Naku Koro ni as a good example of a horror anime and it's probably one of the best ones out there. The first season has multiple scenes that have an eerie and intense atmosphere. It's not like those anime that are tagged as Romance where there is only one actual romantic scene in the anime or none at all. The second season lacks that eeriness and intensity and that is why I prefer the first season. If there are plenty of people that felt uncomfortable while watching the first season, then it should be considered as a horror anime.

I can't comment on Berserk and Elfen Lied, I haven't seen those.

Some people say that horror doesn't work in 2D, telling that it's not realistic enough. I disagree with that because horror doesn't necessarily need to be realistic. There just needs to be proper usage of lighting, music and camera angles. Many anime don't have the right atmosphere for some reason.

WatchTillTandava said:

Apoc_Revolution said:
One other important thing to be aware of, is that the tags underneath anime pages on MAL aren't always accurate. Many anime are tagged as Romance even if characters don't confess to each other at all, and there are anime like School Days that aren't tagged as Psychological despite characters clearly having abnormal mental states. This is why you should always take MAL tags and the 'Favourite genres' section in anime.plus with a grain of salt.

This is precisely how I feel about the Comedy tags. Almost every show/film/book/etc. ever produced has some comic relief. MAL takes that comic relief for a lot of shows and gives it a fully Comedy tag, maybe giving the genre the appearance of more presence and standing than it actually has. And on these shows, a Comedy tag is prioritized over Drama, when there is clearly more of the latter. A show can have 90% drama and 10% comedy/comic relief/just basic levity or a few lighthearted moments, and the Drama tag is put down at the end of the list or often non-existent.

It's just incompetence or ignorance...

Sep 15, 2019 1:12 AM

Dec 2016
I think comedy and shonen are the more common in my list but I love also seinen and mistery plots. I think I will never watch a full Hentai show :D

...even if i can't see you, no matter how far
away you may be...I will always be watching you.
Sep 15, 2019 1:45 AM

Mar 2012
Based on my favorites list:
Action - 5
Drama - 4
Shoujo - 4
Comedy - 3
Demons - 3
Fantasy - 3
Magic - 3
Military - 3
Romance - 3
Supernatural - 3
Adventure - 2
Horror - 2
School - 2
Historical - 1
Josei - 1
Music - 1
Mystery - 1
Psychological - 1
(Reverse) Harem - 1
Sci-Fi - 1
Slice of Life - 1
Space - 1
Thriller - 1
Vampire - 1
Sep 15, 2019 2:30 AM

Sep 2018
It would be comedy, ecchi, school, SOL, parody for me.

Nowhere to be found - Mecha, horror, psychological, yaoi, dementia.

I don't watch edgy stuff at all.
Sep 15, 2019 3:26 AM

Jul 2012
Just focusing on shows if I counted right:
Comedy - 10
Action - 6
Adventure - 4
Fantasy - 4
Shounen - 4
School - 4
Super Power - 2
Supernatural - 2
Sci-Fi - 2
Parody - 2
Slice of Life - 2
Ecchi - 2
Historical - 1
Magic - 1
Harem - 1
Romance - 1
Mecha - 1
Game - 1
Mystery - 1
Drama - 1
Samurai - 1

For genres/tags that will likely never be on my favorites list anywhere: Dementia, Cars, Sports, Shounen Ai and Yaoi.
Genres/tags I'd consider but have limited or no exposure to: Music, Horror, Josei, Kids
Genres/tags that would probably be on my favorites somewhere if I had more slots: Demons, Martial Arts, Police, Military, Seinen, Shoujo, Thriller, Psychological, and Space.

I fully expected comedy to be a general if not unanimous theme because it's by far my favorite overall genre. I guess the only thing I wasn't expecting was how spread out the individual tags themselves are because out of 10 entries I accounted for around half of the 43 tags MAL offers
GamerDLMSep 15, 2019 3:32 AM
Sep 15, 2019 3:58 AM

Mar 2017
I listed the genres of favorite manga (not anime) because I don't care that much about anime:
Drama 7
Action 6
Adventure 5
Fantasy 4
Comedy 4
Supernatural 3
School 3
Seinen 3
Shonen 2
Psychological 2
Sport 2
Josei 2
Mystery 1 (I don't know why there isn't this tag in BSD manga while it's in the anime??)

Where's the music tag in KOT?

It seems most of manga i like have Drama, action and adventure.
You can't find genres I hate like: echhi, harem, shonen/shojo ai, romance (even if KOT has a little bit of it, the tag doesn't exist) or even shojo!
gofreeSep 15, 2019 4:15 AM
Sep 15, 2019 4:27 AM
Jul 2018

Does this list line up with my favorite genres?
Kind of.

Drama, Comedy(in my list's case), School, and Slice of Life(in my list's case) are sub genres, and Shounen, as well as Seinen aren't even genres.

That leaves Romance (6), Psychological (5), Action (5), and Supernatural (4) which are all among my favorite genres.
Sep 15, 2019 4:33 AM

Oct 2008
My 16 favorites and 2 top anime series.

Drama - 11
Action - 10
Shounen - 9
Romance - 5
Fantasy - 5
School - 5
Mystery - 4
Super Natural - 4
Psychological - 4
Historical - 3
Demons - 3
Adventure - 3
Slice of Life - 3
Super Power - 3
Sci-Fi - 3
Military - 2
Seinen - 2
Magic - 2
Mecha - 2
Horror - 1
Thriller - 1
Dementia - 1
Samurai - 1
Harem - 1
Music - 1
Comedy - 1

Genres that have yet to find their rightful place in my favorites and I am hopeful about.
Vampire, Ecchi, Police, Martial Arts, Space, Josei.

The ones I don't think are in my comfort zone and don't think they will be soon.
Parody, Game, Kids, Sports, Shoujo Ai, Yaoi.
Sep 15, 2019 4:50 AM

Jun 2017
I only have 4 favorite in my profile but I have extended favorites with 15 shows so I'm going with 15s:

Comedy 7
Slice of Life 6
Drama 5
Shounen 5
Supernatural 4
School 4
Romance 3
Adventure 3
Mystery 3
Magic 3
Thriller 3
Sci-Fi 2
Psychological 2
Action 2
Game 1
Seinen 1
Music 1
Vampire 1
Police 1
Military 1
Fantasy 1
Shoujo Ai 1
Super Power 1

I only know there is no ecchi, harem (well MAL isn't that accurate) and sports because I don't like ecchi and sports shows
Sep 15, 2019 5:05 AM

Mar 2018
This is genres from my top 10-15 anime
Seinen 8
Drama 7
Mystery 6
Action 5
Psychological 4
Thriller 3
Horror 3
Supernatural 2
Military 1
Space 1
Shoujo 1
Adventure 1
Romance 1
Shounen Ai 1
Sci-Fi 1
Super Power 1
Police 1
Historical 1
Samurai 1
Vampire 1
Slice of life 1
Music 1
No ecchi, comedy, school, fantasy, shounen, josei, dementia, mecha, sports...
LuchseSep 15, 2019 11:24 AM

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 15, 2019 5:09 AM

Jan 2018
Dark fantasy or historical/action is like 80% of my favourites.
Sep 15, 2019 11:22 AM

Jun 2019
zieek said:
My 16 favorites and 2 top anime series.

Drama - 11
Action - 10
Shounen - 9
Romance - 5
Fantasy - 5
School - 5
Mystery - 4
Super Natural - 4
Psychological - 4
Historical - 3
Demons - 3
Adventure - 3
Slice of Life - 3
Super Power - 3
Sci-Fi - 3
Military - 2
Seinen - 2
Magic - 2
Mecha - 2
Horror - 1
Thriller - 1
Dementia - 1
Samurai - 1
Harem - 1
Music - 1
Comedy - 1

Genres that have yet to find their rightful place in my favorites and I am hopeful about.
Vampire, Ecchi, Police, Martial Arts, Space, Josei.

The ones I don't think are in my comfort zone and don't think they will be soon.
Parody, Game, Kids, Sports, Shoujo Ai, Yaoi.

How could you? You forgot Cars!!!

Unforgivable.
Sep 15, 2019 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
Might as well do that, I'm so bored:

Sci-Fi: 7
Action: 7
Mecha: 6
Comedy: 5
Drama: 4
Psychological: 3
Military: 3
Super Power: 2
School: 2
Mystery: 2
Space: 2
Ecchi: 1
Fantasy: 1
Shoujo: 1
Music: 1

That being said, FUCK MAL TAGs. Honestly, useless. Completely arbitrary. It's neither just 'genres' (aka, only things very important to the nature of the show - comedy and action are slapped all the time on shows even if they are just moments and single scenes, especially comedy) nor is it really given always when the thing is present.
For example, Kill la Kill and Code Geass have school tag, but Utena doesn't?
EoE doesn't have an action tag? Even though like half of it is constant action?
GURREN LAGAN OF ALL FUCKING THINGS DOESN'T HAVE A SPACE TAG?

Let's not talk about the shoujo/shonen tags, Utena has a shoujo tag despite being anime original, again, completely inconsistent

genres/tags are a complete fucking mess and it's the only anime information YOU HAVE NO WAY OF SUGGESTING A CHANGE

it makes me quite mad considering this is supposed to be the best/biggest anime site around

Sep 15, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2018
Just going from the top 9 I have listed

Comedy-7
Action-6
Sci-fi-5
Drama-5
Dementia-3
Psychological-3
Mecha-2
Military-2
Horror-1
Ecchi-1
Magic-1
Fantasy-1
Romance-1

Seems about accurate to what I claim to normally like, although I do feel like I like more mecha and military, but this is just my top 9
Sep 15, 2019 12:40 PM

Dec 2018
Disregarding tags and demographics:

Supernatural - 6
Comedy - 5
Thriller - 3
Psychological - 3
Adventure - 3
Mystery - 3
Romance - 3
Ecchi - 2
Fantasy - 2
Drama - 2
Sci-Fi - 1
Slice of Life - 1

Notable absentees: Action, Music, Mecha, Harem

I definitely consider comedy, romance, adventure, mystery, psychological and thriller to be some of my favourite genres, so that's represented well, with all of them appearing 3 times or more.
Like you, I was quite surprised by the amount of supernatural anime. To be fair though, I had already seen the amount of supernatural stuff I watch on Anime+ (it's my 2nd most watched genre), and I do often like things with a supernatural element, so it really shouldn't have surprised me that much.

On the contrary to many, I actually quite like ecchi, and have two ecchi shows in my favourites. I don't have genres I dislike, but if I'd have to pick my least favourite genres, action, mecha and harem would be some of them. I guess it's fair those are absent, but the complete absence of action still surprised me. The numbers of sci-fi, slice of life and music are low as well, which is remarkable too, because I actually like those genres a lot.

As for demographics:
Seinen - 2 (My favourite demographic, and if anything, I would have expected it to be higher)
Shounen - 1 (This is the demographic I watched most, so having a show with it in my favourites isn't really surprising)

Shoujo anime are pretty okay, but generally not my favourites. As for Josei, I just watched way too little of it.

Conclusion: I need to watch more Josei. And more Sci-Fi and Music, but most importantly, more Josei.
Harume_Tako_4Sep 15, 2019 1:20 PM
Sep 15, 2019 1:00 PM
Sep 2017
My TOP 39 anime and manga ( + 8 score )

Drama 11
Slice of Life 11
Shoujo 9
Sci-Fi 4
Shounen 4
Thriller 4
Mecha 3
Fanasy 3
Sports 3
Isekai 3
Seinen 3
Vampire 2
Action 2
Comedy 1
Harem 1
Dark Fantasy 1
Jojo 1

Top 10

Mecha 3
Thriller 2
Shounen 2
Seinen 1
Sci-Fi 1
Dark Fantasy 1
Drama 1
Slice of Life 1
Shoujo 1
WhgediaSep 15, 2019 1:13 PM
Sep 15, 2019 1:18 PM

Oct 2017
All of the tags with 3 or more appearances assuming I counted right:

Supernatural - 6
Drama - 5
Mystery - 5
Horror - 4
Psychological - 4
Adventure - 3
Fantasy - 3
Sci-Fi - 3
Thriller - 3

I have rather obvious preferences. Some notable missing tags are sports, harem and ecchi. I haven't watched many sports anime as they've never really appealed to me as much as other shows and harem and ecchi tend to be more common in shows that I don't care for. Ecchi that actually blends into a show without taking over everything is fairly rare (Kill la Kill, Monogatari series) and most harems are just wish fulfillment.
Sep 15, 2019 1:37 PM

Oct 2012
Interesting.... Based off of my own top 10, here’s what mine looks like.

Action - 1
Adventure - 1
Comedy - 7
Drama - 3
Ecchi - 2
Fantasy - 4
Harem - 2
Horror - 1
Magic - 3
Mecha - 1
Military - 1
Mystery - 2
Parody - 2
Psychological - 1
Romance - 5
School - 4
Sci-Fi - 4
Seinen - 1
Shoujo - 2
Shounen - 2
Slice of Life - 4
Super Power - 1
Supernatural - 1
Thriller - 1
Vampire - 1

Missing: Cars, Dementia, Demons, Game, Hentai, Historical, Josei, Kids, Martial Arts, Music (although I think this is a genre Mermaid Melody should have), Police, Samurai, Shoujo Ai, Shounen Ai, Space, Sports, Yaoi, Yuri
Sep 15, 2019 3:42 PM
Jul 2018
I try watching a little bit of everything so 43 genres are present. Don't know how many are there in total.

Favorites top 10

1 Drama 453 6.49 6.49 2860.80h
2 Sci-Fi 394 6.37 6.37 2155.60h
3 Adventure 351 6.40 6.39 1899.68h
4 Action 360 6.20 6.20 1829.33h
5 Comedy 296 6.28 6.28 1456.68h
6 Slice of Life 138 6.67 6.51 1094.95h
7 Romance 180 6.43 6.39 1063.42h
8 Mecha 157 6.51 6.43 1049.63h
9 Fantasy 235 6.32 6.32 978.27h
10 Historical 151 6.66 6.52 955.50h

Bottom 10:

1 Shounen Ai 1 6.00 6.30 1.08h
2 Yaoi 1 7.00 6.31 1.80h
3 Cars 4 6.25 6.30 4.17h
4 Game 5 5.80 6.28 12.30h
5 Yuri 1 7.00 6.31 13.43h
6 Josei 5 6.40 6.30 20.97h
7 Harem 6 5.67 6.27 30.00h
8 Hentai 13 5.08 6.20 30.92h
9 Shoujo Ai 6 6.33 6.30 45.22h
10 Dementia 37 6.59 6.36 66.63h

As for manga:

Top 10:

1 Drama 195 7.02 7.02 1786.53h
2 Action 128 6.93 6.92 1468.53h
3 Seinen 151 7.00 6.99 1323.47h
4 Shounen 95 6.80 6.81 1150.67h
5 Comedy 98 6.65 6.69 1134.80h
6 Supernatural 103 6.76 6.77 867.87h
7 Romance 81 6.69 6.73 770.13h
8 Sci-Fi 87 6.79 6.80 670.93h
9 Adventure 74 6.88 6.86 585.47h
10 Fantasy 83 6.81 6.82 551.33h
11 Psychological 83 6.88 6.87 531.73h

Bottom 10:

1. Doujinshi 1 6.00 6.82 0.53h
2 Hentai 1 6.00 6.82 1.20h
3 Dementia 1 7.00 6.84 2.53h
4 Game 2 6.50 6.83 3.73h
5 Shounen Ai 4 6.25 6.80 5.20h
6 Shoujo Ai 1 7.00 6.84 7.33h
7 Thriller 1 9.00 6.88 14.40h
8 Super Power 6 6.67 6.82 29.73h
9 Military 4 8.00 6.91 33.60h
10 Music 2 7.00 6.84 36.93h
Sep 15, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2019
Is there data I can copy or are you all doing this manually?
Sep 15, 2019 4:32 PM

Oct 2013
I really question some of the tags my favorites had but:

Action - 8
Supernatural - 5
Shounen - 5
Adventure - 4
Fantasy - 4
Sci-Fi - 3
Comedy - 3
Mystery - 3
Magic - 3
Thriller - 2
Military - 2
Drama - 2
Vampire -1
Police - 1
Historical - 1
Samurai - 1
Space - 1
Superpower - 1
Psychological - 1
Mecha - 1
Ecchi - 1
Sep 15, 2019 4:42 PM

Jan 2009
much of the slice of life, girly anime and gay anime are missing on my list

action, comedy, science fiction, fantasy, mecha are a lot on my list

Sep 15, 2019 8:50 PM

Sep 2010
From my current Top 10 on my profile

Action - 5
Sci-fi - 5
Drama - 5
Military - 4
Space - 3
Comedy - 3
Super Power - 3
Mecha - 2
Supernatural - 2
Adventure - 2
Shounen - 2
Romance - 1
Parody - 1
Police - 1
Psychological - 1
Mystery - 1
Historical - 1
Seinen - 1

Sci-fi/Military/Mecha/Space are my favorite genres, but I only have two mecha on my fav list
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 15, 2019 8:55 PM

Jul 2017
3 Isekai, a Mecha, and a Time Travel Anime. Yep, sounds about right.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Sep 15, 2019 9:12 PM

Nov 2015
This seems like a pretty fun and interesting thread, so I will join in as well.

Action: 5
Sci-Fi: 4
Fantasy: 3
Drama: 3
Mecha: 3
Military: 3
Adventure: 2
Shounen: 2
Super Power: 2
Supernatural: 2
Kids: 1
Mystery: 1
Police: 1
Romance: 1
School: 1

That lines up pretty well with my most frequent (Action), most watched (also Action), and highest scored genres (Military/Sci-Fi)
Cosmicbeingx said:
Is there data I can copy or are you all doing this manually?

I think everyone is calculating the frequency of genres manually from their Favorites, but for comparisons I think most are also using MALGraph
Sep 15, 2019 9:16 PM

Mar 2019
Comedy - 1
Ecchi - 1
Harem - 1
Romance - 1
School - 1
Seinen - 2
Mystery - 2
Dementia - 1
Horror - 1
Psychological - 2
Supernatural - 2
Thriller -2
Action - 1
Historical - 1
Military -1
Police - 1
Shonen - 1
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
7 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
7 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

103 by mo_lave »»
18 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

66 by 8oomer »»
20 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

25 by Tropisch »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.