Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2019 7:36 PM

Dec 2018
KittyKat1o1 said:
I thought it wasn't as good as the 2001 version. The 2001 version made me cry and feel bad for Tohru. It made me see her go through the process of seeing her best friend change into something so hideous and then get yelled at by Akito. I love seeing her go through that depressing phase, have her best friends find her, help her, then she realizes things. That never happened. It makes it seem like Tohru is like a god or something. Not being affected by the situation at all.
The just became lazy and decided not to include character development.

2001 fillers in this arc are nothing compared to the Manga / 2019

But everyone to their own.
Sep 13, 2019 8:06 PM
Sep 2018
KittyKat1o1 said:
I thought it wasn't as good as the 2001 version. The 2001 version made me cry and feel bad for Tohru. It made me see her go through the process of seeing her best friend change into something so hideous and then get yelled at by Akito. I love seeing her go through that depressing phase, have her best friends find her, help her, then she realizes things. That never happened. It makes it seem like Tohru is like a god or something. Not being affected by the situation at all.

all the scenes you mentioned were invented by the 2001 anime, there weren't in the manga. since they had to wrap up everything in one season they decided to add scenes with the other characters to give them something to do in the last episodes. you can prefer the old version, but it's not because the animators "became lazy".
Sep 13, 2019 8:13 PM

Aug 2018
Kougeru said:
Otorez said:
The second aspect / form of the cat sure was unexpected (it had a bit of a snake's face actually), it brought me back to those times I played Resident Evil.

But the bound between Thoru & Kyo just got highly (and definitely ?) strengthened for the greater good ! There is still so much to learn & watch about this whole show, too sad it ends next week. What I really really hope, is an official announcement after the 25th episode, sayin' second season is under development.

The fact that in every single opening credit the title is "Fruits Basket 1st season" isn't official enough for you? They confirmed a long time ago that this is gonna be multiple seasons.

That's something I'm perfectly aware of but I should have clarified my words (my fault there) : an official announcement INCLUDING a date, at least a year. 'cause knowing a season 2 will happen is cool. Knowing it won't air in 2023 or further is so much cooler.
Sep 13, 2019 8:16 PM

Dec 2012
gosh, having read the manga a few times, I knew I was going to get emotional but wow I
cried the whole time
Shisho makes me happy but somewhat emotional for some reason haha he's so nice to Kyo and loves him so much, it makes me cry <3
Sep 13, 2019 8:26 PM

Sep 2011
Fuck that was heartwrenching, pretty much everything the show does right was compiled into a single episode here and it was moving. The directing in this episode was just absolutely top notch and oozing atmosphere in every shot, most notably that absolutely genius usage of repetition of showing kyo's mother repeatedly checking his bracelet but actually taking the time to animate all the different outfits for both of them for each shot. Another major prop to Tohru's actress, she was killing it this weak with the anguished cries.

This series has been hit or miss, but very much carried by those moments that hit cause they were just that good, this episode was better than all of those moments before this and I honestly might go as far to say this is my fav ep of the year, granted, I have watched less anime this year but still this is at least in my top 3 episodes this year. Lastly for the love of god please let that soundtrack release soon if it hasn't already, it's so beautiful.
JizzyHitlerSep 13, 2019 8:48 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 13, 2019 8:52 PM
Oct 2014
The feels...... good episode......

Sep 13, 2019 8:57 PM

Jan 2010
Tellatez said:
It did the manga justice, and I can't stop crying T T

YES
YES IT DID

KomaDoll said:
I think they did some stuff about it better in old version and some weren't as good like they did have that overdramatic grave scene with Tooru and her friends which didn't make sense and they randomly throw Akito there to run around the forest to laugh at Tooru xd

Omg. You're right. I'd forgotten about that! XD
It was really so random...
Sep 13, 2019 9:16 PM

Jul 2016
Kyou's "true form" looks... odd to say the least. I mean, I wouldn't say it looks "cool" but "disgusting" and "horrifying" wouldn't be my words to describe it either. I don't know... its design simply doesn't really convince me.

As a whole, it was a very good episode but some part of me thinks a two-part episode would have handled Kyou's transformation and Tooru's acceptance of it more naturally. That's just me tho, I still think the episode portrayed his sorrow perfectly and the last scene with him hugging Tooru and calling her by her name in such tender manner was indeed quite moving.

Now, that said, I really hope that after all this, Kyou shows some change in his attitude from now on because seeing him acting like nothing happened would be really disappointing, being honest.
Sep 13, 2019 9:34 PM

Oct 2015
This was a shocker, but beautiful at the same time. Tohru is the best character of this season and the last, I love her and hope to add her in my favorite list. The way she handles situations and how she handled Kyou was magnificent, she has compassion for days and I usually hate these type of characters, but her hell nah! I would protect her with my life, such a beautiful soul!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 13, 2019 9:35 PM

Oct 2015
ronin-d said:
The feels...... good episode......

Very great indeed!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 13, 2019 9:52 PM

Jun 2013
I watched it twice, once by itself and once synced with some YouTube reactions and I teared up both times. It's just so touching. I don't remember tearing up in the 2001 version. I feel like this one was much better.

Kyo looks like a Pokemon though. He looks cool.

Just one more episode for this season. I hope season 2 comes soon :)
臭い-
Sep 13, 2019 10:05 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was freaking emotional. It hit me real hard. To know more about Kyo my Orange Haired bad Boy. I mean the toughest guy had the toughest childhood in his time. His true form being hated. But Tohru having to try and reason things out. Dang it dude. The boy had me hurting hard. Too hard. To find people to accept your true self. Oh man. That is just... hard to find... world nowadays is cruel and menacing.
Sep 13, 2019 10:06 PM
May 2018
why is it sooo good???? i love how they expresses themselves!
Sep 13, 2019 10:08 PM
Sep 2017
So many feels in this episode! One of my favorite ever.
I loved Kyou’s joyful reunion with Shisho, got really nervous during the talk between Shisho and Shigure, was just as shocked as Tohru was at Kyou’s transformation, then shocked again when he hit her, and saddened at what his life had been like. But my god - when she ran back and embraced him, and was telling him how she wanted to be there for him and continue to live with him, the tears started for me, right along with Kyou and Tohru! Then when he changed back to a human and hugged her, I just cried harder - the music and tone was so beautiful! Loved seeing Kyou’s kitty form cradled comfortably in her arms, and Shisho’s smile of relief at the end. He was right to believe in our girl Tohru!
Sep 13, 2019 10:34 PM

Mar 2017
Valyrian1124 said:
Also, dude, you totally killed Torhu with that backhand smack. First, if you swung with so much force as to throw Torhu thirty feet in the air from off the hill, you probably pulverized her bones and turned her organs into mush. Then, she feel another fifty feet into the water. That's terminal velocity right there. THEN, she hit the water, which was apparently so shallow that it barely rose above her ankles. She's super-duper dead. It was even more jarring when he swung his arm around with Torhu (somehow) hanging on, and when she got pounded into the ground she's not even winded; she just keeps on talking!

Yeah that was pretty weird. In the manga it wasn't shown to be that extreme, so it was pretty jarring to see that happen here; all that happened was a scratch and some knock back, but nothing like being thrown into the air and plummeting like that.

Faylicia said:
I would've liked to see Tohru hesitate more though

KittyKat1o1 said:
It makes it seem like Tohru is like a god or something. Not being affected by the situation at all.

This is actually very much not true, especially on the character development. A Tohru who didn't develop wouldn't have come running back to Kyo and speak honestly about her feelings, nor confess that she wants Kyo to stay with her. One of the problems shown in the beginning of the anime is that Tohru wasn't very selfish, but in this episode Tohru makes a selfish request by asking Kyo to stay and be by her side, which shows that Tohru is finally taking her own feelings into consideration and what she wants rather than what others want.
Sep 14, 2019 12:23 AM
Aug 2018
ElenaP said:
El3na said:
Honestly this episode made me cry im so happy they kept a lot of the original plot for this episode however a few important scenes were cut out if i remember correctly. There was a scene with akito and one with shigure if i can recall correctly which were a bit intense so i was a bit shocked that they werent in the episode but it still was a very heart-breaking episode😔

those scenes were added to the 2001 anime, they weren't part of the original manga. since they were gonna make only one season the anime needed to wrap up all the loose ends they could in this arc. so that's why they added those scenes and tried to complete all the character's arcs.
oh okay good to know i havent read the manga so im just basing it off the original one
Sep 14, 2019 12:27 AM
Jul 2018
What a good episode omg! Definitely the best one of the show so far. I thought I was braced for it from having read the manga but it hit me just as hard anyway. My poor heart. I really hope we hear some season 2 news soon!
Sep 14, 2019 12:43 AM
Sep 2016
so many emotions, so many things i want to say about all the colors and design improvements from manga and former series, everything. how we should all love every part of people we cherish and soooo many things that i don't really have the time to talk about T~T
but one thing for sure, we all need a tohru in our lives. no matter how understanding and kind i can become i can never have all of her qualities. that's why i need a tohru in my life.
Sep 14, 2019 12:47 AM

Nov 2018
2001 version was ridiculous, so glad they adapted it well now. bless TMS animation.

kazuma with brown hair looks fineee
Sep 14, 2019 1:37 AM

Jan 2015
Feel but disgusting kyo ego hot-headed

Sep 14, 2019 2:09 AM

May 2013
curious if there is any sort of legend or story to why his real form is like that? or is it something that the show will touch on in the future?

yah cats are cute and so, but that ugliness is it like suppose to express something for the spirit of the cat? their hatred for the rat? or is it just the true form with no meaning behind it? and so on. Not sure if I'm making any sense here.
Sep 14, 2019 2:38 AM
Apr 2019
xBroken said:
curious if there is any sort of legend or story to why his real form is like that? or is it something that the show will touch on in the future?

yah cats are cute and so, but that ugliness is it like suppose to express something for the spirit of the cat? their hatred for the rat? or is it just the true form with no meaning behind it? and so on. Not sure if I'm making any sense here.

It is something the story will definitely go into. There is a lot more to be revealed about the real story behind the legend of the zodiac (in the show's mythology), the Cat's position within the Sohma family, and so on.
Sep 14, 2019 4:09 AM

Oct 2017
Damn man this episode just knocked everythng out of park. The feelings hit the spot and the whole last half of this episode just gave so much emotions. Now I can say for sure that this is one of the best shoujo anime ever.
Sep 14, 2019 5:11 AM
Oct 2018
I loved this new character
Sep 14, 2019 5:45 AM

Jul 2010
Murasame-dono said:
Tohru is tougher than I thought....

She's stronger than any of us.

What an emotional rollercoaster this episode was.
Sep 14, 2019 6:01 AM

Feb 2014
That form came outta nowhere even though I knew from the spoilers that Kyou had one. His hate towards love and Yuki was purely due to the circumstances that made him so. Closed his heart only to be melted by Tohru, the one that he could never let go.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 14, 2019 6:49 AM

Mar 2017
Wow. Just wow. That was by far the best episode of the series.

I was glad to finally peel back the mystery that is Kyo Sohma and it was just as sad and painful as all the other Sohmas' pasts. It completely broke my heart that Kyo thought no one would ever love him. Thank god for Tohru because she has such a kind and beautiful soul that she's sees the deeper parts of a person and nurtures that part of them.

My heart... it hurts but it's also so full of warmth...
Sep 14, 2019 7:02 AM
Sep 2019
Very intense and emotional episode. I loved all of it, most notably the hug in the end.
Sep 14, 2019 7:08 AM

Sep 2008
Having seen the original 2001 anime's take on the manga's chapters, I have to admit I was more a fan of how the soundtrack for that handled Kyo's story arc. While the new series is more faithful to the manga's events, the choices for music used to accompany the key scenes of it felt rather inappropriate as the 2001 anime either had more nuanced music or no music at all to show how tense Kyo's backstory was compared to the other Sohmas up to that point. Still thought the way events played out were an improvement over the 2001 anime; just not a fan of the more energetic music used to accompany said scenes.
Sep 14, 2019 7:09 AM
Jan 2019
I never saw the 2001 version but I don’t care, this was perfect.

I forgot just how wonderful and loving Kazuma is. It was wonderful to see Kyou truly smile and be a regular happy boy.
Sep 14, 2019 8:13 AM

Jan 2017
phxntomhiveghoul said:
oh god i'm sobbing. this was so unbelievably sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. i loved every second of it. i'm not a manga reader so i had no idea what to expect, but i'm blown away by the execution of the story.

tohru really has no idea how much she impacts the people around her, does she? especially kyo. goddammit that boy loves her so damn much and it's killing me. when she was holding him when she got back to the house with the ED playing had me crying so damn loud.

Same! I had a feeling the episode was going to pull at my heart strings. But damn! I ended up sobbing. Beautiful episode, Not sure if my heart can make it through another episode let alone season, but I'll do my best.
Sep 14, 2019 8:51 AM

Jun 2016
I JUST CAN SAY: AAAAAAAAAAAAAH, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.
Sep 14, 2019 8:54 AM
Oct 2014
I noticed with this reboot I am crying for some reason almost every episode.
Sep 14, 2019 9:16 AM
Sep 2015
I can't smell him but I don't think his true form ugly. And I'm confident there's a large internet community that not only accept his true form, but also celebrate and want to have sex with his true form...
Sep 14, 2019 10:37 AM
Aug 2017
Best episode till now
Sep 14, 2019 10:39 AM

Apr 2013

This is a happy boy who did nothing wrong.

That was precious as fuck, though. I gotta go back and rewatch the OG scene later.

SJ7izmSep 14, 2019 11:14 AM
Sep 14, 2019 11:05 AM

Jun 2014
Loved this version of Kyo's true form reveal over the 2001 version! I think them sticking closer to the manga and not adding all the filler tells a much better story!

I really hope we get a S2 date with the final episode next week!

I really want to see the whole story of Tohru and the Soma family completed this time around!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 14, 2019 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
I really like fruits basket it is so amazing, emotional, Exciteing, funny, hart touching and I really like the character I give 5 out of 5 vote please I be really happy if you could release a 2 season of this version and I say all the episode of this version are amazing and 24 was the most emotional I ever seen .Thank again for such a amazing anime show
removed-userSep 14, 2019 11:42 AM
Sep 14, 2019 12:01 PM

Oct 2016
Once again, Fruits Basket 2019 has made me cry like a baby. I've always adored Kyo, and this episode made me love him even more. I remember really liking the 2001 adaptation of this particular issue for Kyo too, but the 2019 version had better pacing in my opinion.

Hearing Tohru use the words that Kyo used to comfort her in the previous episode to comfort him at his most vulnerable was heartwarming to say the least. It's been great seeing the grow closer. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Also, the ED is gorgeous. It was used perfectly in this episode. <3
Sep 14, 2019 12:17 PM

Sep 2017
beautiful episode it made me tear up all the way through with emotional dialogue! but the part where he smacks her and makes go all the way down there made me lugh so much it was so out of?? character?? or like odd i dont know but it was gold

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Sep 14, 2019 1:02 PM

Jun 2016
disgusting form from kyou is mehhh ~~~

tohrou is the best waifeeee ~~~
Sep 14, 2019 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
I'd been waiting for an episode featuring one of the the main characters and BAM did this one hit it out of the park.
Sep 14, 2019 1:56 PM

Oct 2010
Otorez said:
Kougeru said:

The fact that in every single opening credit the title is "Fruits Basket 1st season" isn't official enough for you? They confirmed a long time ago that this is gonna be multiple seasons.

That's something I'm perfectly aware of but I should have clarified my words (my fault there) : an official announcement INCLUDING a date, at least a year. 'cause knowing a season 2 will happen is cool. Knowing it won't air in 2023 or further is so much cooler.

I apologize. kinda triggered by people somehow missing the info all these months, didnt read your post properly (not your fault, somehow I missed where you said "official"). My assumption is that since this was planned well ahead of time, the wait won't be too long. I think it will be 2021 at the latest but I think we have a very high chance of setting 2nd Season in 2020
Sep 14, 2019 2:00 PM

Nov 2011
Holy Crap I have legit tears in my eyes atm. That ending was POWERFUL!!

"Tohru" AHHHH QUE THE SQUEALS (Im a grown ass man btw!)

Holy crap that was adorable.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 14, 2019 2:21 PM

Dec 2013
Sad, touching and yet the best episode. Cant stop crying, rewatched the ending multiple times,... ah, wanna cry again. Just love all of it, my poor baby Kyou :'(

And ye, as someone above, this moment is treasured forever
❑ Single (¬‿¬)
❑ Taken (¬‿¬)

✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist φ(°ρ°*)
Sep 14, 2019 2:36 PM

Sep 2011
I wasn't ready. How rotten do you have to be to blame a kid for the suicide of his mother? I'm so happy Kyou had someone like Kazuma by his side. Someone who would understand, and accept him like a true father would. His mother was suffering for sure, and I can't bring myself to blame her or something, but she also hurt Kyou so much with her "love." I'm sure she tried until she couldn't anymore, but it's no wonder he felt the way he did. The point was painfully driven home with the way we saw his mother checking again, and again his wrist. He has been avoiding facing himself, burying it all under the hate he says he feels towards Yuki, and remaining alone in the end.

I finally understand why he pushes Kagura away too. She is also forcing her love in a way, and I don't doubt it's real, but it wasn't what he needed. I guess she didn't properly look at him either, just like his mother never did. But Tooru could. She was scared, and confused, but she didn't want to lose him, so she properly looked at him. Even though he hurt her, and tried to push her away. It wasn't pity, it was genuine concern about him. They both want to keep living on together, and I want to believe things are going to work out for them, and everyone else who is hurting in this tale. This was sad and poignant, but also beautiful and it ended on a hopeful note too.
Sep 14, 2019 3:31 PM

Mar 2013
Such a touching episode, I loved the relashionship between Kyo and his adoptive father.

And his true form, poor thing.

And the ending was so sweet, with that embrace, Kyo in his cat form and the ED song playing.

Loved it.

Sep 14, 2019 4:27 PM

Nov 2008
FOUR TIMES.

FOUR TIMES this adaptation made me cry. The 2001 one does not hold that record. xD

This one is way way better...though I am surprised they only used one episode for this arc.

About Kyou's form "not being gross"

Visually? Yes, I agree he's really not all that creepy and is more Pokemon-ish xD It would have been more effective if Takaya-sensei drew him more like a monster-monster. But the smell in the manga I believe is described as "rotting flesh".

Like, think of how bad a dead animal on the road stinks? Then apply THAT to the size of transformed Kyou. That is what Tooru tracked after and threw herself onto...multiple times. o___O

Anybody would be puking their guts out and try to stay as far away from it as possible. Tooru did the first thing...but she refused to do the second. ;_;
ChiibiSep 14, 2019 4:30 PM

Sep 14, 2019 5:00 PM

Jul 2017
Only saying this: i have no words for this episode. Its execution was tremendously well done, and i wont lie, it managed to make me tear up a little when Tohru was embracing Kyou... Powerful episode indeed, regarding the matter of acceptance
Sep 14, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2014
God this was always one of my favorite chapters when reading the manga. Absolutely loved it. Make me tear up and gave me chills. They really captured the dark tones !!
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.