Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2019 7:43 AM

Nov 2016
I'm developing a 2D game inspired by "Papers Please". Is it possible to make those kind of game using Unity or Unreal? Because almost all game examples I found made using Unity and Unreal are platform style.

Would really help if you could provide tutorial link to make this type of game.
Sep 13, 2019 9:48 AM

Oct 2017
The thing it's that almost all tutorials for these software works on samples and with videogames, Platformer and racing games are the easiest samples to understand and to find.
Papers please it's one kind of a game i don't think you can find a sample of something like it so if you wanna do something similar you would need to learn the language first and then work with that almost from scratch.
Since I've never used Unreal I can only speak about Unity but if you are really interested at least you can use some other samples to speed up the process, like menu and npc assets.

I guess that making something like Papers please you would require how program:
A Visual Novel, NPC interaction and basic RPG stuff.
These two videos would be a nice place to start (Given you know at least the basics of Unity)

Sep 13, 2019 9:53 AM

Jan 2009
take a look at Godot Engine too its completely free and open source and its great for 2D games development i heard
Sep 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Nov 2011
It is definitely possible to make them in Unreal or Unity but I think that kind of engine is a little overkill for a 2D game. Something like Game Maker Studio would probably be more suited to it as it's easier to learn and specifically tailored for 2D games.

Not saying that Unity/Unreal would perform any worse than GMS (The opposite might even be true), just that since GMS is tailored to 2D games it would be easier to learn I think and you will have an easier time trying to find help on how to do a specific thing in it.
Sep 14, 2019 9:02 PM

Oct 2018
They are both general-purpose game engines; they are designed to support pretty much any type of game. Maybe there are better tools to make the specific type of game you want to make, but nothing is stopping you from making it in these engines.

I would also recommend learning how to program, if don't know how already, and then maybe making a simple platformer in Unity or something. When you're familiar with the tools, it will be way easier to figure out how to do whatever you want to do without relying on a specific tutorial for it.
Sep 15, 2019 2:44 AM

Aug 2018
I wouldn't recommend developing that kind of game in unreal or unity. Too much stuff to learn in order to get a good understanding of the engine, and since you want a 2d game I would recommend other engines.

My pick would be game maker. Easy to get into and I think it would fit your game almost perfectly. Like @heg said, godot is also a very good engine for 2d games. Godot is more flexible than game maker, but it also takes longer to learn the engine
Sep 15, 2019 2:50 AM

Aug 2018
A game like papers please is not a very "game engine heavy" type of game. So if you don't know already, I would first recommend you to learn programming to the level that you understand object orientation
Sep 15, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2015
pls learn fundamentals of programming
once you have a solid idea of how a computer works & manipulating things via your chosen programming language, answers to questions like "which game engine to pick" will come naturally. it all depends on your needs/requirements

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

29 by Oofmastre9000 »»
44 minutes ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
59 minutes ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
2 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - 11 hours ago

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.