Forum Settings
Forums

How much does a show's ending affect the score you gave it?

Sep 12, 11:02 PM

Do you feel as if a show needs to have the perfect happy ending for it to be a 10/10? I mean some people like shows that make them cry but at the same time it can leave a bad taste. What's your opinion on a bittersweet/tragic ending vs a good one and how it affects your scores?

Sep 12, 11:07 PM

Depends on how far the quality falls, and for how long.

For example, Clannad ~After Story~ has a weird, head-scratcher finale after a streak of immensely emotional episodes, and so its ending is a bizarre blip that, while souring the experience slightly, doesn't affect the score all that much.

For counter-example, medieval fantasy series Scrapped Princess dangles the prospect of a highly-ambitious and incredibly exciting space opera before us around the two-thirds mark, but then promptly abandons it and languishes in a shit pit for 5-6 episodes and crawls feebly towards the finish line, making this drawn-out anal seepage of an ending deal a massive blow to its overall score.

This glorious signature made by @Mayumi leads to my
superior reviews! Most Recent: Mirai of the Future!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Isekai peaked in the 90s. The genre has sucked ever since.
There is nothing wrong with liking shounen action anime.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There is always top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG."

Sep 12, 11:15 PM

The ending at least for me only gives a +1 if it's good or a -1 to the overall score if it's bad.
Although when the ending its too Crazy/Perfect/Mind blowing it can make me give a show a way higher score than what I was originally thinking.
And while I prefer tragic endings It's never bad when a show has a Happy ending if it's done well but when an Anime just ends with a generic Happy end without enough justification like when everyone miraculously survived and somehow now everyone is friends (Bleach), well that kind of ending only makes me lower the final score.

Sep 12, 11:30 PM

An ending isnt inherently good if its happy, and on the contrary, it isnt inherently bad if its bittersweet or tragic. I like any ending which I remember a long while after I finish watching the anime. A good ending increases the memorability or a show a lot for me. In extreme cases, I can add or take a full mark from the score just cause of the ending.

Sep 12, 11:33 PM

In fact sometimes the author shits in some parts, when accelerating the progress of many things to have a forced ending, I think that influences in my case
Brazilian,21yo; —"Man propose, Heaven dispose."
"

Sep 12, 11:35 PM
The ending must be in line with either what I was expecting or with something I can accept and understand. A shite ending to an ok series can easily make it go from say 7 to a 5, while on the other side of the spectrum, I haven't yet watched anything whose score went upwards specifically because of its ending.

Sep 12, 11:39 PM

Very little. If the story is good, and the creator makes a choice I don't like for the ending, I can still appreciate it because it's the journey that matters. imo.

Sep 12, 11:41 PM

the ending is almost the most important thing for me in terms of rating, but it's not like a happy ending is always the best ending. some (in fact, most) of my favorite anime had extremely tragic endings. the emotional impact is really what counts and usually the most impactful moments are in the last couple episodes.

Sep 12, 11:41 PM
Hug Addict <3

Depends on the show a lot so it's hard to generalize

Think the biggest decline for me was Kyoukai no Kanata which went from like a 6 or a 7 to a 3 because of the final minute of the final episode completely ruining the whole story

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Sep 12, 11:53 PM

Usually, you can kinda predicts that the ending is not gonna be good by how the last few episodes goes.

For me, I just simply compares how many episodes have i enjoyed VS how many that sucks, and then compares if the bad outweighs the good or not.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."

Sep 12, 11:53 PM

Usually, you can kinda predicts that the ending is not gonna be good by how the last few episodes goes.

For me, I just simply compares how many episodes have i enjoyed VS how many that sucks, and then compares if the bad outweighs the good or not.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."

Sep 12, 11:59 PM
look at Darling in the FranXX a lot of people hated the ending (arc) so the overall score goes down

but personally i still enjoyed that show

Sep 13, 5:12 AM

A few shows slowly or out of nowhere turn boring or bad for me, meaning the score I'll give will be around 6 to 2.

Sep 13, 9:01 AM

You make it sound like happy endings are automatically better while implying that bittersweet/tragic endings are bad. An ending doesn't need to be happy to be good and an ending isn't inherently bad if it's tragic/bittersweet.
CLICK HERE

and nothing happens.

Sep 13, 12:04 PM

I am content with either a happily ever after or a tragic end. As long as I get an ending that satisfies me. What doesn't satisfy me is an ending where nothing has changed since the first ep or an open ending. Of course let's not forget the ever popular contradictory ending, where the mc decides to do something at a certain point and at the end does the opposite.
Example is "Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari".

Sep 13, 12:07 PM

it depends if it fits but sometimes a "bad" ending can ruin the whole show to me... it doesn't have to be a happy ending to be good though
read ohana holoholo already

Sep 13, 12:08 PM

A lot. It could be: +/-2 or +/-3 points at least or 0 points.
Life has no meaning.

Sep 13, 12:17 PM

It needs to fit well with whatever was shown.

If I am to use MAL's scoring system for the sake of reasoning, it is what helps decide whether the show that I am already pretty impressed with gets a 10 or not.
'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing. She can understand everything, even if you don't explain it to her'

Sep 13, 12:17 PM

Endings are not very important to me, I usually pre-rate an anime after about half the episodes, based on overall impression. After completion, I rethink but found that regardless of the ending the change is relatively small usually.

Neither turn-off endings such as in "Oreimo"'s OVA or "School Days", nor smart plot twists such as in "Angel Beats!" or "Madoka Magica" undo the 10 hours sunk before they happend. Anime rating is a marathon, not a sprint.

Sep 13, 12:35 PM

It depends on what kinda anime I'm watching.

X s t a s y

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”
―Cheshire Cat

Sep 14, 1:50 PM

For me, it depends heavily on how good the ending is in comparison to the rest of the show, but at the most I think the most it ever could affect one of my scores is +2/-2. That being said, the most that the ending of a show has ever affected my score was with The Promised Neverland, where the ending boosted the score by +1 point as the last few episodes were phenomenal, especially in comparison to the rest of the show.

Most of the time, it has little affect on my score though, as most endings are about on par with the rest of the show quality-wise, so the endings tend not to tip the scales all that much.

Sep 14, 2:06 PM

The ending is very important. Something that does not end can only be a 9 at absolute best in my book. At worst the ending can be so unsatisfying, shoddy or poorly executed, enough to ruin other things I use to judge a story by like the characters, the plot, a show's emotional impact, or it's technical specs like pacing, or animation.
Modified by Kruszer, Sep 14, 2:19 PM
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)

Sep 14, 2:14 PM
It's extremely important to me, even shows I otherwise absolutely loved can rub me the wrong way when the ending isn't satisfactory for instance with gurren lagann.

Sep 14, 10:48 PM
well , my scoring is usually very high to the point that i gave "Eromanga - Sensei" a flippin' 7/10 (i don't think the show is that good) but for some reason i did it.
The endings are very important and impactful for my but in general , it does not affect my score (except "Darling in The FranXX" whose ending just fucked up that the show went from 10 to 7 for me.)

Sep 14, 11:05 PM

I'm totally fine with a bittersweet, tragic ending if it fits the anime. Sometimes a happy ending actually feels forced and out of place, depending on the series. The opposite can also be true; sometimes a show will pull a sad ending out of nowhere, clashing with the tone of the rest of the series. So as long as an ending feels natural for the series, I'm fine with it, and it will either not affect my score, or maybe even bump my score up a point.

Now if we're just talking about badly done endings, they may or may not affect my score, depending on several factors. For example, if many of the episodes leading up to the ending were also bad, then my score is likely to go down at least one point, since a good chunk of the series was wasted just leading up to this terrible ending. But if it was just something that happened over the last few episodes, then I'm more likely to overlook it, since the series didn't devote that much time to it, and it wouldn't change the fact that the rest of the series was good.

In general though, unless an ending is REALLY good or bad, it's probably not going to affect my score more than 1 point higher or lower.

Sep 14, 11:06 PM
Its depends in how really bad is the ending, For me are most important the first episodes and how good they were, By example, Darling In The Franxx is a series that i love, Or that is what i would say, Because that crappy ending + awful final episodes i gave it a 6.

Zer0_LucK7 said:
well , my scoring is usually very high to the point that i gave "Eromanga - Sensei" a flippin' 7/10 (i don't think the show is that good) but for some reason i did it.
The endings are very important and impactful for my but in general , it does not affect my score (except "Darling in The FranXX" whose ending just fucked up that the show went from 10 to 7 for me.)

Same for me.

Sep 14, 11:14 PM

just bcz its a happy ending doesnt make it good and also a unhappy ending doesnt make it bad.

fairytail will be stupid in the end, bcz retarded fuckin lucy "RE-WROTE" zeref greatest creation. and so natsu wilol live even after zeref dies. that makes it terrible. its a supposed happy ending but its still shit.

Issac netero killed himself. the best char in the series and op as hell bmf that he is, dies. but its still 10/10

Sep 15, 3:39 AM

It's not like tragic endings are better than happy endings, or vice versa. A good ending just need to be coherent with the plot and the show itself in general, and thus it's relative to the show you're watching.
Only really bad endings can affect my scores btw, I generally score based on my overall enjoyment.

Sep 15, 3:54 AM

The ending has a huge impact to the story however as most people mentioned a sad ending to something isn't necessarily a bad ending. Personally I am really annoyed when the ending just doesn't make any sense and cancels most of the previous episodes and I am standing there like what the hell just happened because I understood shit.

Sep 15, 5:23 AM

Usually a score up or a score down... but rarely much more.

Sep 15, 5:34 AM

I guess I lean a bit towards bittersweet, tragic and open ending because it opens many discussion and conversation that anyone could talked about and left much more everlasting impact for me rather the happy ending which most of case narrowed down to one possible answer, not by any means I have anything against it, I'd probably still like it but doesn't really feel as special as the other one