Forum Settings
Forums

'Ban kids from loot box gambling in games'

New
Sep 12, 2019 9:54 PM

Jan 2009
In-game spending should be regulated by gambling laws and so-called loot boxes banned entirely for children, MPs say.

The industry's UK trade body responded it would "review these recommendations with utmost seriousness".

Free video games often encourage players to buy virtual loot boxes, which contain an unspecified amount of items to improve further game-play.

Some games have associated online marketplaces where players can trade or sell these items.

The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee's inquiry into addictive and immersive technologies heard stories of young adults who had built up debts of thousands of pounds through spending in games. Jagex, the company behind online game RuneScape, admitted players could spend up to £1,000 a week or £5,000 a month.

But the MPs found the industry was reluctant to accept responsibility for intervening when a player was over-spending or even to put a figure on how much was too much.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49661870

not just ban kids from it but ban loot boxes overall would be nice lol make all items purchasable invidually and not be base on rarity or game of chance (gambling)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 12, 2019 10:40 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
"Muh surprise mechanics"
"Developers deserve some money"
"It's not gamble if you can't cash out and leave"
"It's the parents fault for letting their kids play such games"
"Microtransactions are the future"
"I'm totally not addicted"
Sep 12, 2019 10:54 PM

Jul 2017
You know developers need to make money right... some gambilng sites don't allow users under 18, tho there's always a way around it. I think banning "kids" would be a good idea, but I don't consider a teenager a kid. If you're above 13 you should do whatever you want, it's your fault if you waste your money, and your parents' fault for giving it to you if you are not responsible.
Sep 13, 2019 2:33 AM

Sep 2018
They need to be banned like the are in Belguim, they ruin games and serve no value apart from sucking money out of kids and addicts.

I'd love to see FIFA being given and 18 rating

Unfortunately the MPs will probably use this to clamp down on more things to "save the children".
Sep 13, 2019 4:29 AM

Nov 2013
This is such a nonsense loophole around gambling.
You don't have to ban loot boxes, just regulate it like what it is and it should naturally lose popularity among publishers.

I can see you

Sep 14, 2019 4:13 AM

Feb 2015
I don't care about loot boxes, but I do agree that games with microtransactions, and especially gambling (or "surprise mechanics"), should have proper age ratings and warning labels attached to them, so that they can only be legally bought, downloaded and played by adults.
At the same time, parents of young children also need to step up and take responsibility. Check what their kids are playing beyond merely looking at the game's cover art, and don't save credit card details in the devices their kids are allowed to play on.
Sep 14, 2019 8:58 PM

Nov 2016
Well, everyone knows the risks involved when they buy a loot box.

Technically, you're still getting items of "value" when you buy a loot box. Say a weapon skin for 30 days instead of permanent.

Path of Exile, a Diablo 3 clone is still going strong after a couple of years. There aren't loot boxes, but you can buy cosmetic items. That's how I think all loot boxes should strive to be.
Sep 14, 2019 9:14 PM

Nov 2008
Lootboxes and Gacha need to be phased out, look at mobile, it was about to become a decent platform for gaming but those models came and ruined it and ended up ruining Eastern gaming as a result.

Sep 14, 2019 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
I don't fully support the idea of the state telling others what to do with their money. Irresponsible people are going to suffer the consequences of buying useless shit on the internet sooner than later. If they're actually addicted to it, then they need to get off their computers for a long time.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.