Forum Settings
Forums

How can you edit a comment to reply to new users' posts in a thread?

Sep 12, 12:14 AM

So, I keep trying to edit my previous replies so that I don't have to make new quote posts every time in my thread. However, when I click quick edit, and then click "quote" under the post I want to add to my old comment in order to reply, it just creates a new comment box at the bottom of the page. I was told you can save time by editing old comments and replying to new posts. If anyone knows how to help me do this I would appreciate it. Again, I'm clicking "quick edit" and then going to "quote" on the post I want to reply to, it then opens a brand new comment box and creates a new comment, but a mod told me it should be added to a previous comment, super confused.
Subscribe to my Youtube: MariNate

Sep 12, 12:18 AM

quote only works properly for the pseudo-comment box (so it'll work the first time you're commenting)

if you want to add quotes in quick edit you'll have to copy/paste or cut/paste the whole quote (from the pseudo comment box generally)

Sep 12, 12:19 AM

EratiK said:
quote only works properly for the pseudo-comment box (so it'll work the first time you're commenting)

if you want to add quotes in quick edit you'll have to copy paste

Ok, can you break that down for me, because the mod who told me this didn't say shit, he just deleted my post and told me I was double posting, then told me all I had to do was edit my post. So you can only do it for the first time and he was wrong or am I missing something

EratiK said:
ah

you click quote
in the box, you DON'T click submit, but just cut the quote (which has bbcode)
then you quick edit your old post
and paste the quote and reply in it
you never double posted the whole time since you didn't submit the second comment

it's a bit old school I suppose

so like this? does it work? Is this normally how you have conversations with people on MAL or how do you normally reply to long threads?
Modified by Superns18, Sep 12, 12:24 AM

Sep 12, 12:22 AM

ah

you click quote
in the box, you DON'T click submit, but just cut the quote (which has bbcode)
then you quick edit your old post
and paste the quote and reply in it
you never double posted the whole time since you didn't submit the second comment

it's a bit old school I suppose
but when not editing it's more fluid process

Sep 12, 12:30 AM

did it work, did you get notified that I replied to you or naw?

Sep 12, 12:43 AM

yes, you did it, good job

like I said, normally the first time you use quote, you write a response, then quote another post, reply, and they should all stack up in the same first pseudo-comment box (which you submit only once even when you had multi-quotes)

it's only editing that's a pain

so make sure to refresh a thread before posting

Sep 12, 12:45 AM

Thanks, is that normally how long forum convos are handled or do people do “quick replies” or what? I’ve seen multiple people do multiple quick replies in a thread so I’m not sure where the whole “edit your posts” came from, it confused me

Sep 12, 12:48 AM

multiple quick replies is bad because it makes the whole discussion less readable, and back in the day with images and such in signatures it took a toll on the servers

it's a bad habit, feel free to report it when you see it, especially when it's like double-triple-more stuff

Sep 12, 12:51 AM

Got it! Long as the edits work and notify the user when I’ve replied, I’m good, cheers!

Sep 12, 12:54 AM

cheers mate