Forum Settings
Forums

What are some series, if any, you dropped so quickly (1-3 eps.) you didn't even bother to mark as dropped?

New
Sep 11, 2019 5:48 AM

Jun 2019
This is fresh in my mind after an experience over last night. Are there any shows out there (whether they were previously entries on your PTW list or not) you dropped so quickly, after one, two, or three episodes (or even less than one full episode?!) that you don't even really consider them "Dropped" so much as "Never started" and don't bother to mark them? I only really consider it an officially dropped show if I made some real headway and then felt compelled to drop it like mid way through.

These are shows you really couldn't even get off the ground with. Any explanation or insight into why, what made you so thoroughly feel these shows wouldn't be for you, would be great.

For me, it's only Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, 3-gatsu no Lion, and now, Terra Formars.
Sep 11, 2019 6:03 AM

Jul 2016
Normally, if I didn't finish the first episode, then I won't bother recording it. So, like, if I'm going through new seasonal shows, I might watch about 5 minutes of one then stop and chose to forget about it.

Say with this season, I never added Arifureta because I only made it about 7 minutes before giving up. I couldn't see anything anyway so I probably didn't miss much. Or Bem and Mou-sama, Retry. I think I lasted about 10 and 1 minute for each one.
Sep 11, 2019 6:09 AM

Jan 2013
I don't add series as "dropped" if I didn't manage to finish the first episode. I don't remember specific titles atm, but there's probably 10+ of them.
Sep 11, 2019 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
Too many to count or recall.

----------
Sep 11, 2019 6:13 AM

Oct 2014
I have a no drop rule and give an exception if I didn't even manage to get through the first episode or if I started the show with someone else (eg in anime club).
Sep 11, 2019 6:20 AM

Jun 2019
1-3 episodes? Lulz

I've dropped anime within the first 2 minutes and I never continued it. Also it's worth mentioning, I don't list dropped anime.
Sep 11, 2019 11:29 AM

Jun 2019
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Normally, if I didn't finish the first episode, then I won't bother recording it. So, like, if I'm going through new seasonal shows, I might watch about 5 minutes of one then stop and chose to forget about it.

Say with this season, I never added Arifureta because I only made it about 7 minutes before giving up. I couldn't see anything anyway so I probably didn't miss much. Or Bem and Mou-sama, Retry. I think I lasted about 10 and 1 minute for each one.

What is it that can be so bad within five minutes to turn you off enough to drop it completely? Not at all criticizing this decision, but genuinely curious.
Sep 11, 2019 11:59 AM

Jul 2016
WatchTillTandava said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

What is it that can be so bad within five minutes to turn you off enough to drop it completely? Not at all criticizing this decision, but genuinely curious.

Honestly, I don't remember. I've done it to a ton of shows. I guess if I think the visuals aren't very good or the premise never really grabbed me. Just tons of little things.
Sep 11, 2019 12:10 PM

Jul 2017
The only one I think was Sengoku Night Blood only cause I was too lazy to want to keep up with the weekly releases so I just pretended like I never started that anime to begin with
Sep 11, 2019 12:27 PM
Apr 2017
This season that'd be Bem, I think it's called. First episode was so meh I couldn't be arsed any longer than that. Little witch academia also just left me so bored and meh-ed out that I couldn't be bothered to write it down as a drop.

Another anime that I remember very clearly but not because it was particularly meh, rather because of a specific voice actor. I'd just finished watching Shippuuden I think and I tried watching this...I can't even remember what it was, some XVIII/XIX century European...thing. Doesn't matter, what matters is that there was this persistently flirty and horny guy in it that was quite literally Shikamaru. I've watched other anime with Shoutarou Morikubo and I never literally recognised him before he'd uttered 2 words. But having to listen basically to horny Shikamaru pretty much put me off by itself from this anime, which truth be told, was very boring to begin with. That was an odd situation.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Sep 11, 2019 12:34 PM
Dec 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
I have a no drop rule and give an exception if I didn't even manage to get through the first episode or if I started the show with someone else (eg in anime club).

For me the exact same (except for One Piece, but that is only because it's too long, otherwise I would've just sat through that too).
If I get through one whole episode, I have to watch the rest of the season. But if I can't even really watch the first episode then I just remove an Anime from my list altogether and don't record it as dropped or anything.
Sep 11, 2019 12:38 PM

Dec 2012
None, I mark everything. It keeps me from forgetting about having tried trash title X already and accidentally trying to watch it again at some future date.

Dropping in 1-3 episodes is pretty standard for me though. I know what I like and don't like and am decisive about abandoning ship.
KruszerSep 11, 2019 2:23 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 11, 2019 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
I mark most of my dropped shit as dropped
Sep 11, 2019 12:42 PM

Feb 2018
The only anime I can think of that dropped I like that is Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica. Well, I might have finished the first episode, but I really don't care to rewatch it to be sure. Beyond the main red heads design, the only other thing I can really remember about it was thinking it was the embodiment of slow, old, and bland anime.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Sep 11, 2019 12:46 PM
Mar 2018
The only things I don't mark as dropped are those that I didn't finish the first episode of (1 episode OVAs and films are exempt from this however). Though the only thing I dropped before finishing the first episode of was the anime adaptation of Planetes.

However, I'm fairly generous and willing to give shows on my dropped list a second chance, unless I feel strongly negative about a particular work (I.E Nichijou and Ranma 1/2)
Sep 11, 2019 12:48 PM
Jan 2017
The only anime I can think of that I dropped and didn't add to my list was Shichisei no Subaru. Others I've dropped in the first couple episodes were Kuzu no Honkai and Kanata no Astra, but I added those.
Sep 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2018
I've watched an anime name Mahou Sensou that seemed quite bad to me that I haven't hesitate it to remove from my account.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 11, 2019 1:52 PM

Jun 2019
unimportantuser said:
The only things I don't mark as dropped are those that I didn't finish the first episode of (1 episode OVAs and films are exempt from this however). Though the only thing I dropped before finishing the first episode of was the anime adaptation of Planetes.

However, I'm fairly generous and willing to give shows on my dropped list a second chance, unless I feel strongly negative about a particular work (I.E Nichijou and Ranma 1/2)

What was so bad about Planetes? I have a general idea of it from the synopsis and (sans spoiler) review videos, and know it has a reputation for a more episodic and slow first half. It's been in my PTW list for a while.
Sep 11, 2019 1:58 PM
Mar 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
unimportantuser said:

What was so bad about Planetes? I have a general idea of it from the synopsis and (sans spoiler) review videos, and know it has a reputation for a more episodic and slow first half. It's been in my PTW list for a while.

My reasons for not liking Planetes may be very different than what you might expect but here I go. So, Planetes the manga is quite possibly my favorite manga, I love everything about it, so I had very high expectations for the adaptation. However, when I watched it, I thought they completely fucked up what the series was about. What once was a psychological character study manga turned into some slice of life comedy series that took place in Space. The first I think, minute of Planetes is actually the same, it starts off in space with minimal dialogue, an accident occurs, and a flower is floating in space. However they immediately make a massive change, and introduce a certain character very early on, where-as she was introduced much later in the manga. Maybe I was too harsh? However I doubt it. I'm not trying to shit on people who like the Planetes anime, not at all. However, all these people I see that have the anime for planetes rated highly, don't seem to have the manga listed in their manga list. So idk, I might try again if someone can convince me on why I should give it a second chance, but for now, I'll stick with the manga. And for the record, I'm not against making changes to the source material, Cardcaptor Sakura, FMA 03, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and various other series make changes to their source material counterparts, and I love em.
Sep 11, 2019 2:13 PM

Mar 2015
That one smut anime with the priest/monk which I dropped after 1 episode. Never bothered to add it to my list.
Sep 11, 2019 2:15 PM

Jun 2017
If I remember I will add, but I never added Blend S to my list and well I watch it from start later

Also I never add shows I drop in less than 1 episode or at least I didn't add any until now (well except Akira because that's a movie)
Sep 11, 2019 2:35 PM

Jun 2019
unimportantuser said:
WatchTillTandava said:

My reasons for not liking Planetes may be very different than what you might expect but here I go. So, Planetes the manga is quite possibly my favorite manga, I love everything about it, so I had very high expectations for the adaptation. However, when I watched it, I thought they completely fucked up what the series was about. What once was a psychological character study manga turned into some slice of life comedy series that took place in Space. The first I think, minute of Planetes is actually the same, it starts off in space with minimal dialogue, an accident occurs, and a flower is floating in space. However they immediately make a massive change, and introduce a certain character very early on, where-as she was introduced much later in the manga. Maybe I was too harsh? However I doubt it. I'm not trying to shit on people who like the Planetes anime, not at all. However, all these people I see that have the anime for planetes rated highly, don't seem to have the manga listed in their manga list. So idk, I might try again if someone can convince me on why I should give it a second chance, but for now, I'll stick with the manga. And for the record, I'm not against making changes to the source material, Cardcaptor Sakura, FMA 03, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and various other series make changes to their source material counterparts, and I love em.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter and detailed explanation. Your thoughts are echoing some of the sentiments I've heard toward the first half of the show and first few episodes in particular. I've never read the manga as I'm not a manga reader in general, but I somehow get the feeling I won't be super keen about the tone of the beginning of the show and way it's set up, from what you and others have said, which is a shame as I really love the unique premise and hard sci-fi approach. It remains in my PTW.
Sep 11, 2019 2:38 PM
Mar 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
unimportantuser said:

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter and detailed explanation. Your thoughts are echoing some of the sentiments I've heard toward the first half of the show and first few episodes in particular. I've never read the manga as I'm not a manga reader in general, but I somehow get the feeling I won't be super keen about the tone of the beginning of the show and way it's set up, from what you and others have said, which is a shame as I really love the unique premise and hard sci-fi approach. It remains in my PTW.

I do recommend at least trying the manga out. Even if you aren't much of a manga reader (you can check my profile and see I've only completed 7 manga's at the time of writing). Mainly because of how short it is. But I'm not gonna be the one to say "read the manga and avoid the anime". At the end of the day, that's for you to decide, not me.
Sep 11, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2017
Most of my drops are like that actually, so I'm not even sure what they were anymore. I drop a lot of series during first 3 episodes and if I do I usually don't add them to my dropped list. Although occasionally I do, mostly if I think first 3 episodes are enough to rate it.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 11, 2019 2:47 PM

Nov 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
This is fresh in my mind after an experience over last night. Are there any shows out there (whether they were previously entries on your PTW list or not) you dropped so quickly, after one, two, or three episodes (or even less than one full episode?!) that you don't even really consider them "Dropped" so much as "Never started" and don't bother to mark them?

Yes. I have done this with 2 series and I regret them both.

The first one was the original Fate/stay night that aired in 2006. I didn't have that much of a problem with the animation or the story, but I didn't like one of the characters, so after about 2 episodes in, I dropped it and - because I use the 3 episode rule for dropped anime - deleted it from my list. I later regretted this as I later felt compelled to pick it back up after seeing some really amazing clips from Unlimited Blade Works. I've since finished it (and every other Fate anime as a result), but I'm still annoyed that I deleted it in the first place because I wasn't able to put down a start date for the entry.

The second anime I did this with was Soukyuu no Fafner, an old Mecha anime from 2004. The first episode is so confusing and hard to follow that I was immediately turned off by it and deleted the entry from my list. This was also a mistake because, just like with Fate, I ended up seeing something cool from the later Exodus season and felt compelled to pick up the first season. I ended up loving it so much it's now one of my favorite anime. Again though, I was really frustrated that I dropped it because I wanted to put in a proper start date so I had to go back through my history just to figure out when I started it.

So now I have even a stricter rule for dropped anime because of how frustrating it is not having all the proper data: As long as I start something I can't ever delete it from my list, but I also need to get through at least 3 episodes before I can drop it. That's what works best for me, at least.
Sep 11, 2019 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
I don't use my dropped list. No real point in having a list of things people are gonna see and go "Oh, but it got really good in episode 15."

Yeah, but it sucked ass for 14 episodes.
Sep 16, 2019 10:40 PM

Aug 2019
Sometimes I load up a dozen tabs of kiss anime and watch each one until I like it or dislike it so kinda taste testing a dirty Japanese man's dozen. This part of the process isn't recorded.
Sep 16, 2019 10:45 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Usually when I watch something but not mark it, it's because I was watching it with a friend/at anime club, and I didn't actually have the intention of seriously watching it.

Arifuta and Devil is a Part-Timer fall under this (as well as many others), but I plan on watching a lot of them eventually.

Sep 16, 2019 11:13 PM

May 2013
Darling in the franxx. Watched one episode then started the second and got canceraids.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Sep 17, 2019 12:47 AM

Apr 2012
Too many to list. The best way to decide whether to watch a show is to try its first episode, after all. I used to put things I'd sampled even just a bit of in 'dropped', but gave up the practice.
Sep 17, 2019 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
I only put something in my dropped list if I've watched at least 1/4 of it, long running series (like Boruto) are an exception.

If I decided to drop it before that, I won't bother adding it to the list because most of the time it's me not being interested in the show rather than me not liking it.

As for how many shows I've done this to, there are quite a lot, but the most recent would be Arifureta, although in this case it would be me not liking the show because of how shit the adaptation was.
Sep 17, 2019 5:37 PM

Feb 2010
None, I always add everything to my list, that's what it's for. If it isn't a complete account of everything I watched or tried and my opinions on them, it would feel pointless.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 17, 2019 6:31 PM

Aug 2007
Basically I dont remembered them. If I dont bother to put them in my dropped list, I also dont bother to remembered them.

Well, only one I remember: my sister my writter only because its infamous animation and drawings. I watched it because curiosity. And I only watched 3 episodes.
Sep 17, 2019 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
i usually finish the episode before i decide what i want to do with it
Sep 17, 2019 7:38 PM

May 2017
too many, i only add them as dropped after watching two or more chapters, i consider watching one is the same as watching a trailer, but i only added Black Clover after a couple of minutes listening the Asta's voice, i didn't finish the first chapter but i added anyway to remember that it was the worst thing i watching in such a short time lol
skull90Sep 17, 2019 7:42 PM
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Sep 17, 2019 8:58 PM
Jul 2018
Why just 3?
I've watched Kaze no Yojimbo and dropped it after 7 episodes and didn't list it at all.

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

146 by Old_School_Akira »»
15 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

51 by TitanOfPlasma »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by Rachiba »»
17 minutes ago

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

22 by Jonas-K »»
17 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.