Forum Settings
Forums

Does it piss you off when people write a review after watching 3-4 episodes of a show??

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Sep 11, 3:02 AM
Demonic_Axe said:
Espio74 said:
For me yes, because shows that have a slow build up aren't given a fair shake. Also do you guys think there should be a threshold for how many episodes you watch before you rate it? (I know people can lie but still)

I think they should make it so you have to watch at least half the anime until you can make a review.
And for the love of " i really enjoyed the anime even if it has a 6/10" they should add an enjoyment bar under the score, like the ones where you go and vote 1/5 or 5/5 for the episode cause i feel that some animes are really enjoyable but are just killed by the reviewers cause "not enough plot bla bla progression" (keep ya bloody pickforks and torches down if i offended y'all with this) if you know what i mean. So people can see that the anime is quite enjoyable even with just a 6 or 6.5/10 and not push people away because of the low score.
Yeah that's also my problem. There is a difference if the show objectively isn't that good but you enjoyed it way more 'cause this and that. As you said, show could be an okay-ish 5 or 6,but your enjoyment is lets say 8. But people immediately see "oh they gave it a 5,not gonna watch if it's that bad". Personal enjoyment scale because *options* would be a good idea.

Sep 11, 3:08 AM

For me no. It's mostly the same show getting criticized by fans who over praise it i think. I haven't seen any person giving bad thoughts on my shows. Even it does end up bad, it's still as repetetive as most high quality series whom fans like.

Sep 11, 7:51 PM

Espio74 said:
For me yes, because shows that have a slow build up aren't given a fair shake. Also do you guys think there should be a threshold for how many episodes you watch before you rate it? (I know people can lie but still)

Just to piss you off OP, i only read the first yes of this post and i review this post -1/10

Sep 12, 12:21 AM
Wait, people actually do that? Well then, don't read them then haha.

Sep 12, 12:33 AM

It doesn't piss me off, but I've always found preliminary review to be rather pointless. The anime hasn't even finished airing, what the fuck are people reviewing after only watching 3 ~ 4 episodes? A preliminary review is basically the same as a first impression, it shouldn't even be counted as a review in my opinion.
MAL should get rid of preliminary reviews and make a "First Impressions" section on anime pages where people could share their thoughts on an anime while it's still airing, which is what you mostly see people doing with preliminary reviews, and make so that actual reviews can't be posted until an anime has finished airing. This to me would be an ideal solution, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Modified by JustAnAnimeList, Sep 12, 12:42 AM

Sep 12, 2:23 AM

I dont read trashbag hoes reviews.

the rating should also not be considered for watching/currently airing shows

Sep 12, 5:21 AM

People shouldn't make reviews or recommendations, or have definitive opinion on anime that they have not finished. It's ridiculous and arrogant of them to think that an anime is what their reviews boils it down to.

Sep 12, 5:30 AM
I would say it only pisses me off if the anime finished airing a while back, meaning they clearly did not even care enough to finish it, how much thought did they really put in their review. Especially extreme ratings, because a lot of the time first few episodes are either extremely good or extremely bland but that doesn't dictate the whole show.

Sep 12, 6:48 AM
Kira is God

In my opinion there are worse things, but definitely there should be another section of reviews for when someone has not completed the series, because i don't think that it is wrong to make a review based on a few episodes since the anime may be in broadcast. In my opinion it's useful for informing people who might be interested in watching that anime for guidance, as long as they add a kind of new section for early reviews.

Sep 12, 7:06 AM
🌕🚀System;Reset

Sep 12, 7:12 AM

yeah it does. finish the series before reviewing it.
Yeet

Sep 12, 7:16 AM

Better than someone who supposedly has seen over 800 episodes of One Piece and still managed to miss the point in his review 😐
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Sep 12, 9:36 AM

yes. i think a fair review can only be done after the person has completed the show
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 12, 9:57 AM

Well a review imo should be written once you've seen an amount of it but anyone can rate a show whenever they feel like it tho watching more than at least 2 episodes would give their ratings more weight imo but regardless, it would still be valid anyways.
But does it piss me off when people do these things? No. Because any show needs to be good from start to finish. It doesn't matter how good it will be later when it starts out a slog fest. Any decent show should and will keep someone interested in the beginning all the way to the end. A failure to do that simply means they have failed regardless of how good it is later on.
"I'm not a hero because I want your approval. I do it because I want to." - Saitama
"A hero must be tough, strong, beautiful as well as be able to promptly and splendidly eradicate evil." - Amai Mask
"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any replacement. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."-Makishima Shogo

Sep 12, 10:58 AM

Nope. Honestly the first episodes of a show are the most important.

You are reviewing the "hook factor". Meaning a show that is interesting from the first episode. This is of high importance for some fans including myself. I tend to have a miserable time if the first episodes aren't great.

Conversely, some people have a way bigger weight put on if the ending is good and satisfying. And I can more than handle a lackluster ending in the eyes of most. Even no ending is better than having a bad start. But some people feel very differently and have their emphasis on where they end up.

Also if you had to finish shows before reviewing them, a lot of long runners would never be able to get reviews.

See: One Piece

I also prefer first episodes reviews because I don't even really want a hint how someone felt about an ending or various other plot points because I would rather be surprised. Spoiler containment of this kind of review is nice for some.
Modified by Energetic-Nova, Sep 12, 11:05 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.

Sep 12, 11:34 AM

I'm okay with reviews that give the impression the show gives off. Helps me decide whether it's worth picking up or not.

What I hate is when they write reviews trying to analyze the plot and characters like in those 3 episodes they were supposed to have some kind of huge development. They can say the show started generic, but don't write about how the characters act a certain way because of xyz and that's how they're going to stay the whole show

Sep 12, 1:12 PM
Yes. The Vinland Saga anime is a victim of those people.

Sep 12, 1:44 PM
Nutella71 said:
Demonic_Axe said:

I think they should make it so you have to watch at least half the anime until you can make a review.
And for the love of " i really enjoyed the anime even if it has a 6/10" they should add an enjoyment bar under the score, like the ones where you go and vote 1/5 or 5/5 for the episode cause i feel that some animes are really enjoyable but are just killed by the reviewers cause "not enough plot bla bla progression" (keep ya bloody pickforks and torches down if i offended y'all with this) if you know what i mean. So people can see that the anime is quite enjoyable even with just a 6 or 6.5/10 and not push people away because of the low score.
Yeah that's also my problem. There is a difference if the show objectively isn't that good but you enjoyed it way more 'cause this and that. As you said, show could be an okay-ish 5 or 6,but your enjoyment is lets say 8. But people immediately see "oh they gave it a 5,not gonna watch if it's that bad". Personal enjoyment scale because *options* would be a good idea.

I hope to see that feature in the future.

Sep 12, 2:05 PM

Yes, yes it does.
Save your review for when the series has finished airing at least! Even if you already decided that you hate it.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.

Sep 12, 2:29 PM
It's good if you write review about these 3-4 episodes, and you point it at the start of review.
But If you write "full review" from these 3-4 episode I think it's a piece of crap.

Sep 12, 2:36 PM
Demonic_Axe said:
Nutella71 said:

Also,I've seen quite a few "joke reviews" where the "reviewer" scores a show like Mushishi a 1 just because there are no cute waifus. Can people like that who clearly write about an anime for the lols (or maybe not? Hard to believe they're serious) just put a disclaimer at the beginning or the end? Otherwise what's the point.

Sep 12, 6:10 PM

JustAnAnimeList said:
It doesn't piss me off, but I've always found preliminary review to be rather pointless. The anime hasn't even finished airing, what the fuck are people reviewing after only watching 3 ~ 4 episodes? A preliminary review is basically the same as a first impression, it shouldn't even be counted as a review in my opinion.
MAL should get rid of preliminary reviews and make a "First Impressions" section on anime pages where people could share their thoughts on an anime while it's still airing, which is what you mostly see people doing with preliminary reviews, and make so that actual reviews can't be posted until an anime has finished airing. This to me would be an ideal solution, but I don't think it will ever happen.

That’s honestly a really good solution but people who really want to give an anime a low rating will probably lie and say they finished the show just to give it an extreme score on either side of the spectrum. MAL should also have a not helpful button for reviews whereby when it reaches a certain threshold troll reviews get removed. What do you guys think?

Sep 12, 7:00 PM

Espio74 said:
JustAnAnimeList said:

That’s honestly a really good solution but people who really want to give an anime a low rating will probably lie and say they finished the show just to give it an extreme score on either side of the spectrum. MAL should also have a not helpful button for reviews whereby when it reaches a certain threshold troll reviews get removed. What do you guys think?

I think they should make it so that people can't set an anime as completed if it's still airing and that would solve the problem of users trying to game the system. As for your suggestion about troll reviews, while it's a good suggestion there's the problem that it could also be used against legit reviews and I don't think there would be an easy solution in this case to stop people from abusing the system.
Modified by JustAnAnimeList, Sep 12, 7:15 PM

Sep 13, 6:41 AM
Nutella71 said:
Demonic_Axe said:

Also,I've seen quite a few "joke reviews" where the "reviewer" scores a show like Mushishi a 1 just because there are no cute waifus. Can people like that who clearly write about an anime for the lols (or maybe not? Hard to believe they're serious) just put a disclaimer at the beginning or the end? Otherwise what's the point.

They are just weird people that screw over the score for an anime.
If they just post it in the discussion about the X episode then i don't have a problem with that, if he wants to watch an anime just for the cute "waifus" then who am i to stop him? But don't write a review focused just on one weird thing.

Sep 13, 8:23 AM

Yeah, it's too early to judge from the first few episodes. It's the same thing as people judging without knowing the whole story, which is something that I personally hate lol. This is why I always rate something after seeing the whole thing. You'd be surprised with what you will find.
"(Insert Text Here)"

Sep 13, 8:31 AM

I don't read reviews much. I don't really rate either. I don't use the list portion of this site, so..

The most recent reviews I've seen for seasonals are kind of unsettling.

It seems a lot of people are way too harsh and biased towards anime on this site. It makes me wonder why they're even here.

Yesterday, 1:29 PM

I wouldn't say it angers me. I'm probably going to take more notice of a review from someone who has watched more episodes or even the whole series, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I know from experience that there are some anime that are just so bad it's really hard to get past episode 4.

Yesterday, 1:47 PM

Nah!it's kinda gives somewhat information to know about starting story of anime.

Yesterday, 2:15 PM

Not really. It's normal to give first impressions as something is starting out. What's really bad is how those reviews tend to stay on top even after the show has either finished or has gone way ahead. Take Black Clover, for example. The top review episode counts are 10, 10, 10, 23. Out of 100 current episodes and counting. Fairy Tail Final Series, One Piece and Boruto all suffer from this same problem as well. Of course, this is more of a critique of how reviews on MAL operate similarly to YouTube comments (the first to strike always wins), but it still stands to say that premature reviews should only be regarded as having temporary utility.

Yesterday, 2:19 PM

You know what actually pisses me off? When you lot make shit forum posts all day long and don't learn to stfu with the same question everysingle day for 360+ times a year

"The only time people really have value is when they act according to their own will" - Makishima

Yesterday, 2:20 PM
It doesn't piss me off, but I think it's pretty weird.

You've watched almost nothing and you're giving your verdict, you don't now how things are going to end.

I got hyped by Dororo, but after some episodes the anime became something boring

Yesterday, 2:32 PM

Demonic_Axe said:
Espio74 said:

I strongly disagree with this; then no one who dislikes it can review it and have a voice; it should just be made clear that it was only about the first couple of episodes and explain why it was dropped.

Only allowing reviews when watched to completion is counter-productive to the goal of using reviews to find what best suits one. The best reviews for one's own purpose are generally written by the man with similar taste so if he drop it after 3 episodes because he dislikes it then one stands to benefit from knowing that.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

7 hours ago

I can't say pisses me off forever, but it's funny sometimes people are so definitive. IT SUCKS. Yeah... best review ever.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]