Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Sep 9, 5:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 101
It's not that bad, but hear me out (or read me out Idk).

It would be great if the adaptation improved on the source material, but the way some things are portrayed and stretched out like in every single shounen in existence ever, it is becoming a pain to watch. I found myself skipping big chunks of episodes because it was so god damn stale.

Improvements that could be done would definitely be: less those staring competitions with silence and panning shots, that try to convey feelings in the worst way imaginable. Silence isn't bad, but when we get it every few scenes for seemingly no reason it is annoying. Actually what is it even supposed to convey... pressure? Torment? How long it feels for the protagonist? Also there is that one comical scene where Zenitsu gets beaten and Tanjirou just stands there and thinks in this whatchamacallit something something time flows slower than he thinks kind of thing. Come on, Ufotable, you are turning it into a circus.

The story suffers, and I don't like that fact.

edit: Also flashbacks, good lord. Those are too lengthy.

Am I the only one? Also, what do you guys think. If there is a room for improvements, then what form would they take?

Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.
 
#2
Sep 9, 5:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 716
No adaptation is gonna go exactly like you would rather for it to be done, so no, you're not the only one who has a personal preference on how certain parts COULD be adapted, and you are certainly not the only one on this website thinking that the trendiest anime of the moment is "overrated".
 
#3
Sep 9, 6:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 101
Nostalgik said:
No adaptation is gonna go exactly like you would rather for it to be done, so no, you're not the only one who has a personal preference on how certain parts COULD be adapted, and you are certainly not the only one on this website thinking that the trendiest anime of the moment is "overrated".

Well yeah, but what do you think would improve the anime, or at least improve it enough to deserve the rating it has. I haven't really seen people talking about it's downsides.
 
#4
Sep 9, 6:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 716
Mixernix said:
Nostalgik said:
No adaptation is gonna go exactly like you would rather for it to be done, so no, you're not the only one who has a personal preference on how certain parts COULD be adapted, and you are certainly not the only one on this website thinking that the trendiest anime of the moment is "overrated".

Well yeah, but what do you think would improve the anime, or at least improve it enough to deserve the rating it has. I haven't really seen people talking about it's downsides.
uhhh so many people like to talk about all the little things they dont like about the series to say it's 'overrated':

the CGI isnt perfect when in far away shots (while i obviously agree with this, its absolute nitpicking and its done as well as it could be)

the comedy is jarring many times (I only think this is true for Zenitsu's initial appearances);

The story is very cliche in general(i dont think of this as a real argument because "cliche" doesnt equate to "bad").

As for your statement about the pacing and silence moments, I dont recall having those kinds of problems with the series, besides maybe in a couple episodes of the first cour when they would repeat the same scene we had already watched before the commercial break. But it didnt get repeated lately so its yet another nitpick for me.

I dont think this show is overrated at all. Everyone who loves it has very solid reasons to do so xD
 
#5
Sep 9, 6:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 413
Welp, just another overrated/underrated thread. i see nothing wrong, just MAL being MAL. Lol

Mixernix said:
Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.
 
#6
Sep 9, 6:18 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 140
Mixernix said:
It's not that bad, but hear me out (or read me out Idk).

It would be great if the adaptation improved on the source material, but the way some things are portrayed and stretched out like in every single shounen in existence ever, it is becoming a pain to watch. I found myself skipping big chunks of episodes because it was so god damn stale.

Improvements that could be done would definitely be: less those staring competitions with silence and panning shots, that try to convey feelings in the worst way imaginable. Silence isn't bad, but when we get it every few scenes for seemingly no reason it is annoying. Actually what is it even supposed to convey... pressure? Torment? How long it feels for the protagonist? Also there is that one comical scene where Zenitsu gets beaten and Tanjirou just stands there and thinks in this whatchamacallit something something time flows slower than he thinks kind of thing. Come on, Ufotable, you are turning it into a circus.

The story suffers, and I don't like that fact.

edit: Also flashbacks, good lord. Those are too lengthy.

Am I the only one? Also, what do you guys think. If there is a room for improvements, then what form would they take?

Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.

Ufotable usually do stuff a bit slow but they still do it really well.
I'm pretty happy with the pacing even though it's a bit slow, I'm just happy they didn't take the One piece way (adapting 1 chapter or less every episode, in KNY they usually adapt 2-3 chapters an episode) or the Naruto way (a lot of fillers).
 
#7
Sep 9, 6:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 101
Nostalgik said:
Mixernix said:

Well yeah, but what do you think would improve the anime, or at least improve it enough to deserve the rating it has. I haven't really seen people talking about it's downsides.
uhhh so many people like to talk about all the little things they dont like about the series to say it's 'overrated':

the CGI isnt perfect when in far away shots (while i obviously agree with this, its absolute nitpicking and its done as well as it could be)

the comedy is jarring many times (I only think this is true for Zenitsu's initial appearances);

The story is very cliche in general(i dont think of this as a real argument because "cliche" doesnt equate to "bad").

As for your statement about the pacing and silence moments, I dont recall having those kinds of problems with the series, besides maybe in a couple episodes of the first cour when they would repeat the same scene we had already watched before the commercial break. But it didnt get repeated lately so its yet another nitpick from me.

I see. I didn't really mean to come off as a "nitpicking popular stuff" person. That being said, I stand by my opinion. Those kinds of moments combined with lengthy flashbacks make me lose all the hype.
 
#8
Sep 9, 7:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 2898
I thought the pacing in the first few episodes was a bit too fast, but only at the beginning and I think it's fine now.

I agree with the flashbacks being too lengthy. And I feel like some of them are unnecessary. The drum demon one for example I thought was pretty useless. Like, do we really need a backstory to have us sympathize with some random minor villain who we'll never see or talk about again? I don't think so. I mean I guess I get why it's there, to show that the demons were human too at some point and aren't just killing machines for the lulz. But it just didn't have any impact on me. It just, was there and like whatever. Rui's backstory segment was much better imo since we actually spent several episodes with him & his family, and it expanded on their dynamic.

That being said it's not overrated imo. It's still a great show in other aspects.




 
#9
Sep 9, 7:57 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 230
Rider9530 said:
Mixernix said:
It's not that bad, but hear me out (or read me out Idk).

It would be great if the adaptation improved on the source material, but the way some things are portrayed and stretched out like in every single shounen in existence ever, it is becoming a pain to watch. I found myself skipping big chunks of episodes because it was so god damn stale.

Improvements that could be done would definitely be: less those staring competitions with silence and panning shots, that try to convey feelings in the worst way imaginable. Silence isn't bad, but when we get it every few scenes for seemingly no reason it is annoying. Actually what is it even supposed to convey... pressure? Torment? How long it feels for the protagonist? Also there is that one comical scene where Zenitsu gets beaten and Tanjirou just stands there and thinks in this whatchamacallit something something time flows slower than he thinks kind of thing. Come on, Ufotable, you are turning it into a circus.

The story suffers, and I don't like that fact.

edit: Also flashbacks, good lord. Those are too lengthy.

Am I the only one? Also, what do you guys think. If there is a room for improvements, then what form would they take?

Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.

Ufotable usually do stuff a bit slow but they still do it really well.
I'm pretty happy with the pacing even though it's a bit slow, I'm just happy they didn't take the One piece way (adapting 1 chapter or less every episode, in KNY they usually adapt 2-3 chapters an episode) or the Naruto way (a lot of fillers).
you cannot compare one pieces pacing to any other anime because the only reason they do 1 chapter per episode with added content is because the anime is close to the manga in terms of content . KnY manga is way ahead of the anime so it doesn’t have to worry about that .
 
Sep 9, 8:21 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 140
MonkeyDJasper said:
Rider9530 said:

Ufotable usually do stuff a bit slow but they still do it really well.
I'm pretty happy with the pacing even though it's a bit slow, I'm just happy they didn't take the One piece way (adapting 1 chapter or less every episode, in KNY they usually adapt 2-3 chapters an episode) or the Naruto way (a lot of fillers).
you cannot compare one pieces pacing to any other anime because the only reason they do 1 chapter per episode with added content is because the anime is close to the manga in terms of content . KnY manga is way ahead of the anime so it doesn’t have to worry about that .

I know that i can't compare them and i wasn't trying to, i just named 1 chapter per episode as the One piece way because this is what One piece do (it may be bad at most shows but one piece is good enough for it to matter less, even though i preferred if One piece went with the season way and faster pacing and better quality, but i guess i can keep dreaming).
 
Sep 9, 9:18 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 111
While the adaptation is better than the source material in most things, one thing its weaker at is the pacing for sure. there are those episodes where they don't adapt much at all and really stall. I still love it though.
 
Sep 9, 10:17 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 35
You mentioned the scene where Iinosuke is hitting Zenitsu because he was protecting Nezuko and Tanjirou stood there a while just watching it happen. I had a problem with that scene too, it felt like Tanjirou wasn't there really. And I had the same thought about that drum demon's flashback, even though now I see how necesary it is because it helps us have that feeling of sympathy and closure that Tanjirou has after a fight with a demon.

I was a bit behind when episode 19 (the reason people started talking so much about this anime) came out because, while I liked the show, I wasn't too much into it. But then I watched episode 16 and I just couldn't stop watching.

So I think those are problems only in the first cour, because the second is really intense, well paced and entertaining
Modified by KorhalChild, Sep 9, 11:27 AM
 
Sep 9, 10:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 13310
And here I am, just thankful for the manga getting adapted

While I agree that some episodes were a bit slow, I never thought “oh this one was bad”, I still feel like KnY is far superior than most anime out here. I think that KnY is better when watched in one or two sittings. It ain’t an anime you should watch weekly, cause you feel like the pacing being even slower than what already is
Modified by Xenocrisi, Sep 9, 10:35 AM
 
Sep 9, 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 35
Xenocrisi said:
And here I am, just thankful for the manga getting adapted

While I agree that some episodes were a bit slow, I never thought “oh this one was bad”, I still feel like KnY is far superior than most anime out here. I think that KnY is better when watched in one or two sittings. It ain’t an anime you should watch weekly, cause you feel like the pacing being even slower than what already is


I agree with you, I feel that Kimetsu is one of those anime that are made to be binge-watched instead of waiting a week for the next episode. I actually went and read one chapter of the manga after episode 22 because I couldn't just wait a week (even though I knew what was gonna happen)
 
Sep 9, 4:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 522
Jfs_ said:
Welp, just another overrated/underrated thread. i see nothing wrong, just MAL being MAL. Lol

Mixernix said:
Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.

Yeah but facts still are that the series is extremely overrated
 
Sep 9, 4:33 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 522
We went from 2-3 years passing in one epusode to literally 15 minutes passing in one episode so yeah
 
Sep 9, 5:05 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 35
Lel0uchZer0 said:
We went from 2-3 years passing in one epusode to literally 15 minutes passing in one episode so yeah


I don't see anything wrong with that. Different pacing for different parts of the story.

I mean at least they didn't do something like skipping an entire event and later being like "yeah that stuff happened"
 
Sep 9, 6:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 474
oh NO the battle shounen has battle shounen tropes in it

that makes it overrated >:(
 
Sep 9, 9:30 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 142
All those things you mentioned are examples of weak direction. At this point that's an Ufotable trademark: strong direction to some points, pretty weak to others, no consistency at all. But you know, it's still 10/10 best studio Ev4h bc muh PrEtTy CoLoRs



Jfs_ said:
Welp, just another overrated/underrated thread. i see nothing wrong, just MAL being MAL. Lol

Mixernix said:
Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.
Mythologically said:
oh NO the battle shounen has battle shounen tropes in it

that makes it overrated >:(


Was that the only part of the post you guys bothered to read? Are all KnY fanboys that dense?
Modified by Rhapsody-, Sep 9, 9:34 PM
 
Sep 9, 9:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 601
i think the adaptation managed to improve a lot on the source material
simply because animation, music, sound directing etc is on point
honestly for the adaptation alone i'd give 9/10

the only issue i have with the adaptation is the pacing as you said, thats one thing that they could have improved probably quite a lot

i think most of the issues with the anime lie with the original author / manga
- partly garbage nonsensical moronic dialogue
one example would be after the fight against RUI, where tanjirou and giyuu for the whole episode are in conflict with shinobu etc, shinobu asks tanjirou to explain himself why he is protecting the demon, no one bothers to explain the situation, they do not open their mouths, instead he has a moronic inner monologue, unable to open his mouth, this is a prime example of shitty dialogue used as a plot device to drag out the scene unnecessarily and force tension, basically dialogue based on misunderstandings ( this is a problem that is utterly obnoxious, you can see it a lot in tate no yuusha for example ), this is just one issue with the dialogue
- annoying obnoxious characterization that ties into annoying dialogue
you could argue its comical, but a lot of characters have obnoxious personalities, just look at the boar or zenitsu or half of the hashira, but to each their own, its just overdone so much that it hurts physically
- straight forward average mediocre story, i mean there is nothing wrong with that, but so far its been incredibly predictable and well, boring tbh, i picked up the manga and read through the 2 next arcs and it has the same issues

not saying its bad, its good, but thats it really
the best part of her writing is the fact she heavily characterizes all of its side characters that are relevant to the ongoing plot
apart from that basically everything is written rather average

i think the whole anime/manga is just carried heavily by the setting and the concept, not just the demon conflict, but rather the concept of demon slayers and breaths etc as well as demon and demon slayer ranking systems and cool character designs, and in the anime's case animation, music, sound effects, visual/audio directing choices, etc
You son of a .. turtle

 
Sep 9, 9:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 474
Rhapsody- said:
Mythologically said:
oh NO the battle shounen has battle shounen tropes in it

that makes it overrated >:(


Was that the only part of the post you guys bothered to read? Are all KnY fanboys that dense?


I mean, I read the whole thing. What part of that post is any sort of valid criticism?

Mixernix said:
It's not that bad, but hear me out (or read me out Idk).

It would be great if the adaptation improved on the source material, but the way some things are portrayed and stretched out like in every single shounen in existence ever, it is becoming a pain to watch. I found myself skipping big chunks of episodes because it was so god damn stale.

Improvements that could be done would definitely be: less those staring competitions with silence and panning shots, that try to convey feelings in the worst way imaginable. Silence isn't bad, but when we get it every few scenes for seemingly no reason it is annoying. Actually what is it even supposed to convey... pressure? Torment? How long it feels for the protagonist? Also there is that one comical scene where Zenitsu gets beaten and Tanjirou just stands there and thinks in this whatchamacallit something something time flows slower than he thinks kind of thing. Come on, Ufotable, you are turning it into a circus.

The story suffers, and I don't like that fact.

edit: Also flashbacks, good lord. Those are too lengthy.

Am I the only one? Also, what do you guys think. If there is a room for improvements, then what form would they take?

Long story short: I think this anime is overrated at the moment for reasons that seem valid to me.


Literally, every single criticism he's brought up, which I've bolded, is just "battle shounen trope bad". That's a retarded criticism to make of a battle shounen.
 
Sep 10, 12:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 127
I agree that the pacing could be better. For example I felt it especially in the episode when we meet the pillars. Sure there is a lot of talking, but I think if they adapted also the rest of the scene in that episode it would flow better. In most cases they adapt 2 chapters when I think they could easily do 3, but I guess they wanted to end the season on a little breather arc instead of another action piece.
 
Sep 10, 1:22 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2042
Mixernix said:
Also there is that one comical scene where Zenitsu gets beaten and Tanjirou just stands there and thinks in this whatchamacallit something something time flows slower than he thinks kind of thing. Come on, Ufotable, you are turning it into a circus.


This is the only scene where things felt off for me. Probably because the audience has a sense of urgency, wanting Zenitsu to be saved, but Tanjiro stands there watching for way too long in that scene. Like, are you going to help him Tanjiro? Or are you secretly happy he's getting beaten up XD
 
Sep 10, 1:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 101
holiday498 said:
I agree that the pacing could be better. For example I felt it especially in the episode when we meet the pillars. Sure there is a lot of talking, but I think if they adapted also the rest of the scene in that episode it would flow better. In most cases they adapt 2 chapters when I think they could easily do 3, but I guess they wanted to end the season on a little breather arc instead of another action piece.

I completely agree here. Then again it wouldn't be that bad to just roll with it and throw in some backstory to stall for time. I haven't read much ahead (40 chapters from catching up with the manga), but I know it's going to be more interesting with time.

@Mythologically Except those battle shounen tropes have been exaggerated to an unbearable degree. I know that a lot of it is down to the original artist and the studio that's adapting the source material, but that doesn't change the fact that it could be infinitely better. And yeah, I am gonna complain about shounen tropes, especially because I have seen them done well, or at least well enough for me to bear with it. No anime is without flaws, but that doesn't really mean I can't enjoy it. However, given enough flaws, it is going to ruin the experience. As for me, I do enjoy it and it's not as much of a bother to me considering my tolerance.

Also, it's not the tropes that make something overrated, it's the general opinion that an anime gets that makes it overrated. And don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy a lot of things that Ufotable did here, I just haven't mentioned them here since it's not a review.
Modified by Mixernix, Sep 10, 2:10 AM
 
Sep 10, 2:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 522
KorhalChild said:
Lel0uchZer0 said:
We went from 2-3 years passing in one epusode to literally 15 minutes passing in one episode so yeah


I don't see anything wrong with that. Different pacing for different parts of the story.

I mean at least they didn't do something like skipping an entire event and later being like "yeah that stuff happened"

I as well did not find it a bad thing but what pisses me off is that this is the exact thing that people talked about for years about attack on titan
Yet no one brings it up about demon slayer because everyone praises it to no end right now
 
Sep 10, 2:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 413
Rhapsody- said:
Jfs_ said:
Welp, just another overrated/underrated thread. i see nothing wrong, just MAL being MAL. Lol

Mythologically said:
oh NO the battle shounen has battle shounen tropes in it

that makes it overrated >:(


Was that the only part of the post you guys bothered to read? Are all KnY fanboys that dense?
Doesn't matter for me, overrated/underrated thread is still overrated/underrated thread even if he does explain the reasons why the show is overrated. He should have made a normal thread complaining about the pacing and all without complaining about the show being overrated. Or he can just go to this thread instead, special thread for those people bitching about overrated/underrated show: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1504768
 
Sep 10, 3:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 443
Cherry picker is cherry picking, oh no.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
 
Sep 10, 3:25 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 142
Jfs_ said:
Doesn't matter for me, overrated/underrated thread is still overrated/underrated thread even if he does explain the reasons why the show is overrated. He should have made a normal thread complaining about the pacing and all without complaining about the show being overrated. Or he can just go to this thread instead, special thread for those people bitching about overrated/underrated show: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1504768


But he DID make a thread about a legit discussion topic, and it's not about "this is overrated". The fact he gave his opinion about the show being overrated or not is irrelevant since it's nothing to do with the topic he actually brought. But again, you just proved you didn't care about the rest of the post and just got salty by reading one word.
 
Sep 10, 6:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 101
Jfs_ said:
Rhapsody- said:


Was that the only part of the post you guys bothered to read? Are all KnY fanboys that dense?
Doesn't matter for me, overrated/underrated thread is still overrated/underrated thread even if he does explain the reasons why the show is overrated. He should have made a normal thread complaining about the pacing and all without complaining about the show being overrated. Or he can just go to this thread instead, special thread for those people bitching about overrated/underrated show: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1504768

"Overrated" was never a theme of this. I just threw it in for those who can't be bothered to read the whole thing. Yes, I could use better words for a tl;dr kind of thing, but it seems to be a good deterrent for people who don't feel like engaging into any kind of discussion.
 
Sep 10, 4:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 493
On the beggining of the series I underestimate how much this was a problem, but now I see this is one of the main reason why the show is empty. Ufotable clearly thinks dragging the scene as much as possible will always make the scene better than the original. Not only that, but everything that has a punch must be the most epic scene ever, and that's starting to annoy me. The scene of the MC headbutting that random new character was so unnatural. It was clearly not that big of a deal, but the show tried so hard to make it seen like the most hyped scene ever
 
Sep 10, 9:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3897
thiago52192 said:
On the beggining of the series I underestimate how much this was a problem, but now I see this is one of the main reason why the show is empty. Ufotable clearly thinks dragging the scene as much as possible will always make the scene better than the original. Not only that, but everything that has a punch must be the most epic scene ever, and that's starting to annoy me. The scene of the MC headbutting that random new character was so unnatural. It was clearly not that big of a deal, but the show tried so hard to make it seen like the most hyped scene ever


Except it was a major thing. The lengths Tanjiro had to go through for Nezuko even so far as going against a Hashira is a recurring theme in this show and you can see the surprised reactions of the other Hashiras to a common demon slayer going against one of their ranks.
 
Sep 11, 11:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 706
I think its great. Unveiling a beautiful story on every encounter with significant characters. The mc's resolve is driven by something unselfish than let's say Black Clover - not saying it's bad so dont get triggered...

I expected less from a Shounen.
 
Sep 13, 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1607
Honestly taking something from the manga and turning into this just makes me glad i stay away clear I had my problems with MHA in the past and now this....KNY
 
Sep 13, 7:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 338
I feel like the pacing is a bit slow and really do hate the scenes where Tanjiro is thinking "what do I do/what can I do, think", those are really annoying. I think the pacing will be much faster if a 2nd season comes as I was suprised at how fast the manga moves after the 12 pillar introduction.
 
Sep 13, 7:40 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 104
vong10 said:
I feel like the pacing is a bit slow and really do hate the scenes where Tanjiro is thinking "what do I do/what can I do, think", those are really annoying. I think the pacing will be much faster if a 2nd season comes as I was suprised at how fast the manga moves after the 12 pillar introduction.


I agree. IMO, the series starts to peak in quality after the mountain arc. I consider the Train arc to be the start. Good pacing and great fights. Hopefully ufo wont dragged out the second season as much as the first. Even as a fan of the anime, i have to admit the pacing really dragged on sometimes.
 
Sep 13, 8:00 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1495
The slow pacing is one reason why I refuse to rate this anime higher than 8.
My Wife is a Demon Queen
 
Top