Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
 
Sep 22, 10:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Can’t we stop with the constant back and forth. I understand, some of you think the show is bland, boring and generic with little to no plot. Some of you think the show is a master class in anime and will be talked about for years to come. These are your own individual opinions, there is no need to defend your opinion and argue consistently about it. I know all of you only stated your opinions with hope of having an actual discussion, only then to have someone say your opinion is wrong or is factually false. At the end of the day, it doesn’t even matter. We all see things differently, we all have different taste. No two people will like the same thing. So, keep enjoying the show if you like it and keep criticizing it if you don’t. But, let’s respect each other’s opinions and talk about them in an open-minded discussion. Instead of responding with quick witted banter because nothing is flawless and nothing is completely terrible.
 
Sep 22, 10:33 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 41
EchoAnEternity said:
Can’t we stop with the constant back and forth. I understand, some of you think the show is bland, boring and generic with little to no plot. Some of you think the show is a master class in anime and will be talked about for years to come. These are your own individual opinions, there is no need to defend your opinion and argue consistently about it. I know all of you only stated your opinions with hope of having an actual discussion, only then to have someone say your opinion is wrong or is factually false. At the end of the day, it doesn’t even matter. We all see things differently, we all have different taste. No two people will like the same thing. So, keep enjoying the show if you like it and keep criticizing it if you don’t. But, let’s respect each other’s opinions and talk about them in an open-minded discussion. Instead of responding with quick witted banter because nothing is flawless and nothing is completely terrible.
Uh there is the ignore button.
 
Sep 23, 2:19 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 148
the story is too mature for your average anime viewer and it's on prime. easy answer.
 
Sep 23, 5:59 AM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 2602
rtil said:
the story is too mature for your average anime viewer and it's on prime. easy answer.

Hahaha boulders thrown kilometers away by a guy. Who suddenly regrows his finger from frame to frame. Hahaha. Mature. Such pretentiousness.
This series is aimed exactly at the average viewer - lacking critical thinking and content with cool, yet lacking substance scenes and statements.
EchoAnEternity said:
Can’t we stop with the constant back and forth. I understand, some of you think the show is bland, boring and generic with little to no plot. Some of you think the show is a master class in anime and will be talked about for years to come. These are your own individual opinions, there is no need to defend your opinion and argue consistently about it. I know all of you only stated your opinions with hope of having an actual discussion, only then to have someone say your opinion is wrong or is factually false. At the end of the day, it doesn’t even matter. We all see things differently, we all have different taste. No two people will like the same thing. So, keep enjoying the show if you like it and keep criticizing it if you don’t. But, let’s respect each other’s opinions and talk about them in an open-minded discussion. Instead of responding with quick witted banter because nothing is flawless and nothing is completely terrible.

You are right but if this is left unchecked the (either) wrong side might get the idea their opinions fall under the "plausible" category. Spoiler alert - they do not. And quick witted remarks is about the only way to battle nonsensical one-liners.
Modified by Daniel_Naumov, Sep 23, 6:04 AM
Re:formed
 
Sep 23, 6:01 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 148
Daniel_Naumov said:
rtil said:
the story is too mature for your average anime viewer and it's on prime. easy answer.

Hahaha boulders thrown kilometers away by a guy. Who suddenly regrows his finger from frame to frame. Hahaha. Mature. Such pretentiousness.
This series is aimed exactly at the average viewer - lacking critical thinking and content with cool, yet lacking substance scenes and statements.


not sure what throwing boulders or animation errors have to do with the story, but to each their own.
 
Sep 23, 6:56 AM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 2602
rtil said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Hahaha boulders thrown kilometers away by a guy. Who suddenly regrows his finger from frame to frame. Hahaha. Mature. Such pretentiousness.
This series is aimed exactly at the average viewer - lacking critical thinking and content with cool, yet lacking substance scenes and statements.


not sure what throwing boulders or animation errors have to do with the story, but to each their own.

If you can somehow justify labeling this series as "mature" by providing points of artistic or symbolic value, then you will not sound like a know-nothing loud-mouth that labeels anyone who refuses to worship what they like as the opposite of "mature". You know, like they do in civilized world - provide actual substance, not hot air.
Re:formed
 
Sep 23, 8:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
Daniel_Naumov said:
rtil said:


not sure what throwing boulders or animation errors have to do with the story, but to each their own.

If you can somehow justify labeling this series as "mature" by providing points of artistic or symbolic value, then you will not sound like a know-nothing loud-mouth that labeels anyone who refuses to worship what they like as the opposite of "mature". You know, like they do in civilized world - provide actual substance, not hot air.


I agree with what you said in response to my post above. But to answer why this show is seen as “mature” , is of the way it’s telling/showing the story. This show is very focused on fleshing out its character, even giving them I believe 5 minutes to discuss the views Vikings have of Christianity in the latest episode. Even Thors story was given 4 episodes but if Wit Studio wanted, it could of been chopped down to one in order to move the story along. They also fleshed out Thorfinn’s childhood with two anime original episodes. The first “exciting” thing to happen in this show wasn’t until episode 4. Which the “average” anime fan won’t like. A lot of people watch anime for the excitement of watching characters fight or trying to figure out the mystery of the anime’s characters, story or world. Which Vinland doesn’t have, it’s been very straight forward so far. An anime like this is kinda rare today and a big risk. (There’s a chance it wouldn’t have become popular and Wit Studio could’ve taken a big loss. ) Not because of the story it’s telling or the topics it’s covering, it’s the choice of letting this anime have a slow pace with few fights. They could of cut out all the talking and stuck to just the fighting to make a 12 episode season instead of 24. I believe that’s why this show is seen as “mature” even if characters are throwing boulders or jumping bridges.
 
Sep 23, 10:47 AM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
Mythologically said:
Right then, let me counter his pathetic attempts at "points".

Very amusing post, so I'm irrational and pathetic, but you're the one stuck on the same points, adding nothing of substance. It was a mistake confronting you since you seemingly have no intention of making yourself more clear beyond iterating surface level observations. What a literal clown.

Mythologically said:

First of all, no one can provide evidence as to why a character is one-dimensional.
Why would this be undoable? What did you try to convey here? You immediatey start contradicting yourself by attempting it lol

Mythologically said:
One-dimensionality is the default state of a character. In order to stop being one-dimensional, a character has to do something that would make them complex.

Are you delibrately being confusing? You're sort of mixing up two usages of the word, so annoying. A character doesn't have to ''do'' something complex to have character depth (though it could certainly add depth), that's a really vague proposition.

Mythologically said:

That hasn't been the case with Vinland so far. Thorfinn's whole personality is "me angry". That's literally all that there is to him.
Yes being angry is one his traits, so is him being antisocial, fearless, amoral and self-centered, clearly there are enough ways to describe him. We're talking about character depth, there are numerous varibales that define Thorfinn. In the 10 episodes so far, 3 focused on Thorfinn's childhood in the village, where he was quite different from now, and his change is understandable, that's character depth. Prior to Thors' death we see how influential Viking's beliefs were to him, and how he struggled with his father's conflicting beliefs. After the time skip this still haunts him, that's what makes him multidimensional. He doesn't just want to kill Askeladd, he wants to reclaim his father's honor by defeating him in a duel but part of him recognizes his father's words and so he still longs for a place of peace.


Mythologically said:
Same with Askeladd. He is literally just cool, and that is it. Maybe they develop in the manga, but we're not talking about the manga here, are we.
You're a clown lmao, 'just cool''. I was right all along, you're the one-dimensional one.

Mythologically said:
His whole next paragraph is filled with literal verbal diarrhea. The only thing remotely close to a point is "You tried to make fun of the plot but the only thing you did was describe the premise". Yep, because the premise is literally all that the plot of the show has been so far. It's a generic revenge story, and nothing else has happened so far. Thorfinn's dad dies, Thorfinn wants to get revenge, and then Askeladd's crew goes around and does Viking things. That's it. I didn't even call the plot particularly bad in my review either. If the clown actually bothered looking at the scores I gave each aspect of the show, he would find that I gave the story a 6, which indicates that it is slightly below average. So far, the story has been slightly below average, as literally nothing of significance has happened.


Bladiblablah. There are other characters, there's political intrigue. You don't understand what's significant, there was enough build-up and plot development. Btw, tell me another anime/manga with the same type of set-up if it's so generic.

Mythologically said:
The second paragraph is simply factually incorrect and logically incoherent. True, he never literally said, "If you kill your enemies, you're as bad as them!". However, those words are implied by his actions. In a situation where ships full of Vikings threaten the lives of him, his child, and other people that he has known for years, Thors decides to spare the lives of said Vikings. With the power levels Thors is shown to have, he could have easily killed all of them, and no one on his side would have had to die. The strongest person on the side of the Vikings, Askeladd, is someone that Thors was able to fairly easily defeat in a duel. This sort of illogical, moral preaching is completely unbelievable considering the historical context of the show.

There's barely ''moral preaching'' if he can't even convey his morals to the people around him. He's a deserter, Vikings travel and come in contact with more things than the average villager in this time period. It's not that unbelievable he wanted to change, considering his wife and kids. Either way, I don't consider this strong criticism since he died accordingly.

Mythologically said:
The last paragraph is again full of verbal diarrhea since Eqsuirtit is incapable of rational thought. Again, the only point there is "hurr durr historical fiction >:(", which is simply nuts. Historical fiction shouldn't be full of literal bullshit. I can't take a show seriously when a bunch of people run at high speeds downhill while carrying a ship on their back.

And I can, because it has been part of it since episode 1, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic to be considered ''historical''. You say ''full of bullshit'' but only speak of the battles, you're the one who's irrational. Historically accurate portrayal of combat is just one aspect of historical fiction. No one who watches this series thinks it's realistic, stop grandstanding clown.

:weird typo
Modified by Esquirtit, Sep 23, 12:13 PM
 
Sep 23, 10:51 AM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
@TsukuyomiREKT Holy shit what a clown he is. Thanks for defending me

@Daniel_Naumov When do his fingers regrow from frame to frame? Are you sure you checked before jumping to conclusions?
Modified by Esquirtit, Sep 23, 11:00 AM
 
Sep 23, 11:09 AM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 2602
Esquirtit said:
@TsukuyomiREKT Holy shit what a clown he is. Thanks for defending me

@Daniel_Naumov When do his fingers regrow from frame to frame? Are you sure you checked before jumping to conclusions?
Check previous episode, before they begin their attack on Canute's camp. On at least one frame the studio decided not to care about consistency and BOOM he has 5 healthy fingers on both hands. If you want to avoid jumping to conclusions, of course.
Re:formed
 
Sep 23, 11:20 AM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
@Daniel_Naumov I checked it before, they always show them cut off. You mean the part where he's throwing boulders right? You sure you focused on his right hand?

Unless you mean that still where he holds his log, but that's just drawn without detail so you can't really say they forgot about it, it's just not noticeable.
Modified by Esquirtit, Sep 23, 11:28 AM
 
Sep 23, 11:28 AM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 2602
Esquirtit said:
@Daniel_Naumov I checked it before, they always show them cut off. You mean the part where he's throwing boulders right? You sure you focused on his right hand?

If you have nothing else to do you might as well check the episode discussion thread or reddit, where they explicitly describe and show the magical fingers.
Re:formed
 
Sep 23, 11:41 AM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
@Daniel_Naumov In both cases they just got it wrong though. You said it yourself in the episode discussion thread. On reddit some dude admitted he was wrong as well.
 
Sep 23, 11:46 AM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 2602
Esquirtit said:
@Daniel_Naumov In both cases they just got it wrong though. You said it yourself in the episode discussion thread. On reddit some dude admitted he was wrong as well.

I could have never said that, since I still believe what I saw on several frames. Either way this is not getting anywhere and I will not derail the thread any further.
Re:formed
 
Sep 23, 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 508
Esquirtit said:


Dear Diary,

Today, I learned that you can mask the total lack of arguments with a tirade of insults.

Signed,
Mythologically


Once again, surface-level observations are all one can provide when talking about a surface-level show that is completely devoid of substance or meaning. Anyway, let's rip apart the newest stream of verbal diarrhea.

You cannot prove that a character is one-dimensional because every single character is at least one-dimensional. That is the baseline for a character, as a character cannot be zero-dimensional.

As such, you cannot prove that a character is one-dimensional. You can provide evidence for it, and you can disprove that a character is one-dimensional by providing evidence showing that the character is complex. However, definitively proving that a character is one-dimensional is impossible, as any evidence you provide could still be nullified by counter-evidence. How is that in any way difficult to understand or confusing? I didn't set out to prove that Thorfinn is one-dimensional, I provided evidence for it. However, if you can show how Thorfinn is a complex character, then my evidence is meaningless. See how that works?

And that brings me to the only paragraph where you actually made any point whatsoever. And hey, at least you finally gave me a valid point to work with! Let's say that what you have said about Thorfinn, to you, makes him a satisfactory & complex character. Good for you, then. I'm glad you enjoy the show. For me, having multiple personality traits doesn't make a character complex. Same with him growing up and being different from when he was a kid, same with him going "grrr me angry now me want revenge (but i don't want to just kill him, i want to reclaim my dad's honor!)" when his dad died, and same with him being conflicted because he has to kill people even though his dad said that killing people is bad. To me, that is uninspired writing that is neither interesting nor engaging & is aimed at the lowest common denominator. Guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

My criticisms apply only to the parts of the show that I have seen. I stopped at episode 8, so Thorkell hasn't been introduced yet, and Canute just made his appearance for like two seconds. Maybe they're interesting characters! Who knows! I surely don't, because a third of the way through the show, I have been presented with two bland main characters and a (currently) non-existent plot (pretty sure like half of the show has been battle scenes so far); as such, there is no motivator for me to keep watching. In the same vein of thought, I have not seen any political intrigue either, besides "countries go to war". Maybe the show will become good from now on, but with the abysmal pacing so far, I simply don't feel like watching it.

You know you're winning the argument when you start arguing semantics haha. "Oh but it's not preaching because he didn't say it out loud". Alright then, let's replace "preaching" with "beliefs". What difference does that make? Where's your point? And, once again, in the historical context of this show, his actions in the battle against Askeladd's crew are insane. Pacifism, to Thors' level, did not exist until the 14th century, and even then, it was in Italy and took a bit more time to spread into Northern Europe. The Viking Age ended in the 11th century. Anyway, none of that even matters, because that's not even the problem. The problem, for me, is that I hate Thors, as he is an obnoxious moral high ground asshole whose inane beliefs left his son without a father.

"You say 'full of bullshit' but speak of only the battles". Yeah exactly. That's my problem. The show goes from a battle scene where some chads sprint down a hill while carrying a ship to a whole episode discussing a heavy theme like slavery. I can't keep my immersion through that, because it feels as if I am watching two separate shows with how different the scenes are in tone. You can't go from a shounen-esque battle scene to talking about slavery.

Anyway, your whole post doesn't actually disprove anything that I say, but instead is just "this is not a criticism because I disagree with it". Stop acting like your opinions are all that matters.
 
Sep 23, 12:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 479
Mythologically said:
Esquirtit said:


Dear Diary,

Today, I learned that you can mask the total lack of arguments with a tirade of insults.

Signed,
Mythologically


Once again, surface-level observations are all one can provide when talking about a surface-level show that is completely devoid of substance or meaning. Anyway, let's rip apart the newest stream of verbal diarrhea.

You cannot prove that a character is one-dimensional because every single character is at least one-dimensional. That is the baseline for a character, as a character cannot be zero-dimensional.

As such, you cannot prove that a character is one-dimensional. You can provide evidence for it, and you can disprove that a character is one-dimensional by providing evidence showing that the character is complex. However, definitively proving that a character is one-dimensional is impossible, as any evidence you provide could still be nullified by counter-evidence. How is that in any way difficult to understand or confusing? I didn't set out to prove that Thorfinn is one-dimensional, I provided evidence for it. However, if you can show how Thorfinn is a complex character, then my evidence is meaningless. See how that works?

And that brings me to the only paragraph where you actually made any point whatsoever. And hey, at least you finally gave me a valid point to work with! Let's say that what you have said about Thorfinn, to you, makes him a satisfactory & complex character. Good for you, then. I'm glad you enjoy the show. For me, having multiple personality traits doesn't make a character complex. Same with him growing up and being different from when he was a kid, same with him going "grrr me angry now me want revenge (but i don't want to just kill him, i want to reclaim my dad's honor!)" when his dad died, and same with him being conflicted because he has to kill people even though his dad said that killing people is bad. To me, that is uninspired writing that is neither interesting nor engaging & is aimed at the lowest common denominator. Guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

My criticisms apply only to the parts of the show that I have seen. I stopped at episode 8, so Thorkell hasn't been introduced yet, and Canute just made his appearance for like two seconds. Maybe they're interesting characters! Who knows! I surely don't, because a third of the way through the show, I have been presented with two bland main characters and a (currently) non-existent plot (pretty sure like half of the show has been battle scenes so far); as such, there is no motivator for me to keep watching. In the same vein of thought, I have not seen any political intrigue either, besides "countries go to war". Maybe the show will become good from now on, but with the abysmal pacing so far, I simply don't feel like watching it.

You know you're winning the argument when you start arguing semantics haha. "Oh but it's not preaching because he didn't say it out loud". Alright then, let's replace "preaching" with "beliefs". What difference does that make? Where's your point? And, once again, in the historical context of this show, his actions in the battle against Askeladd's crew are insane. Pacifism, to Thors' level, did not exist until the 14th century, and even then, it was in Italy and took a bit more time to spread into Northern Europe. The Viking Age ended in the 11th century. Anyway, none of that even matters, because that's not even the problem. The problem, for me, is that I hate Thors, as he is an obnoxious moral high ground asshole whose inane beliefs left his son without a father.

"You say 'full of bullshit' but speak of only the battles". Yeah exactly. That's my problem. The show goes from a battle scene where some chads sprint down a hill while carrying a ship to a whole episode discussing a heavy theme like slavery. I can't keep my immersion through that, because it feels as if I am watching two separate shows with how different the scenes are in tone. You can't go from a shounen-esque battle scene to talking about slavery.

Anyway, your whole post doesn't actually disprove anything that I say, but instead is just "this is not a criticism because I disagree with it". Stop acting like your opinions are all that matters.
Myth, this is unacceptable! I herby request you to stop this verbal abuse or I shall call the cops! He’s already dead!
 
Sep 23, 1:49 PM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
@Mythologically You're the first one who insulted my character. I may have been agressive in my first post to you but that's because I thought you could handle it. You came here for flamewars, it was my mistake to expect reasonable arguments coming out of you. Don't whine about insults, I've seen you on these forums before, even your reviews are full of insults. Really don't know why you make a big deal out of it

>Calls my post a stream of verbal diarrhea

Comes up with this meaningless bullshit

You cannot prove that a character is one-dimensional because every single character is at least one-dimensional.

That is the baseline for a character, as a character cannot be zero-dimensional.As such, you cannot prove that a character is one-dimensional. You can provide evidence for it, and you can disprove that a character is one-dimensional by providing evidence showing that the character is complex. However, definitively proving that a character is one-dimensional is impossible, as any evidence you provide could still be nullified by counter-evidence. How is that in any way difficult to understand or confusing? I didn't set out to prove that Thorfinn is one-dimensional, I provided evidence for it. However, if you can show how Thorfinn is a complex character, then my evidence is meaningless. See how that works?


In my first reply I asked you to explain why Thorfinn is one-dimensional. Your reply to me suggested ''no one can provide evidence'', thank you for proving that because you seem to be of the illusion ''me angry'' is a good argument.

You pretty much ask me to argue semantics. I don't know what you think is ''complex''. I don't know why you believe Thorfinn is one-dimensional. I don't think you use these words the way they're supposed to, just keep it to ''me don't like''.

And that brings me to the only paragraph where you actually made any point whatsoever. And hey, at least you finally gave me a valid point to work with! Let's say that what you have said about Thorfinn, to you, makes him a satisfactory & complex character. Good for you, then. I'm glad you enjoy the show. For me, having multiple personality traits doesn't make a character complex. Same with him growing up and being different from when he was a kid, same with him going "grrr me angry now me want revenge (but i don't want to just kill him, i want to reclaim my dad's honor!)" when his dad died, and same with him being conflicted because he has to kill people even though his dad said that killing people is bad. To me, that is uninspired writing that is neither interesting nor engaging & is aimed at the lowest common denominator. Guess we'll have to disagree on this one.


Very meaningful, you really made clear what actual complexity is to you. Just say ''I don't enjoy watching it'' next time. I never even said I find Thorfinn complex, just that he's a character with enough depth as of now (major development incoming apparently by manga readers). I've proven why Thorfinn isn't one-dimensional.

I really don't know what makes you think I care if you find this series good or not, I only wanted to argue your points. I thought you had more to say, but I guess you're empty already. You keep repeating the same unsubstantiated shit.

Regarding Thors, I think we already established that this series isn't completely realistic (and has no intention to, for drama). Of course his encounter with Askeladd was over the top, I don't disagree with that. I think that him being a deserter and psychologically damaged is easily believable. He knew he had to die anyway, Floki would've 100% attacked the village if he didn't receive Thor's head, that's another point that makes his actions logical to me.

Anyway, your whole post doesn't actually disprove anything that I say, but instead is just "this is not a criticism because I disagree with it". Stop acting like your opinions are all that matters.


They do matter more than yours, you're out here to bait and spout your self-absorded hateful opinions. I thought you were capable of more

@Hajime_Hinata Far from, but I respect the wanking

:typo



Modified by Esquirtit, Sep 23, 4:33 PM
 
Sep 23, 1:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Mythologically said:


Dear Diary,

Today, I learned that you can mask the total lack of arguments with a tirade of insults.

Signed,
Mythologically

Once again, surface-level observations are all one can provide when talking about a surface-level show that is completely devoid of substance or meaning. Anyway, let's rip apart the newest stream of verbal diarrhea.


You're right. The fact that people try to argue with insults is one of the most annoying this on these forums.

I am unwilling to believe that not a single person in Thors time (nor any era) was diametrically opposed to the any sort of mainstream thinking. No matter the era, there must have been men whose philosophies moved society forward. The Rennasaince movement happened because individuals were inspired by the writings/inventions of other individuals. The paradigm shift must have started with the thinking of 1 man. And I think this sort of paradigm shift occurs in a number of era and in a number of fields/subjects. Aristarchus of Samos was the first in recorded history to believe that the sun was the center of the universe. This idea was diametrically opposed to the mainstream thinking of ancient Greece, that the earth was the center. His idea didn't catch on until centuries later.
Modified by najumobi, Sep 23, 1:57 PM
 
Sep 23, 2:17 PM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
@Najumobi @Hajime_Hinata

Okay, seems people believe I insulted him first. Come on, we're on a anime forum in the 21th century. We're all beta males compared to Thors. Jokes aren't allowed anymore, even if aimed at someone who's clearly baiting and has a very edgy written review. Fucking hell, so this is why it turned out to be a bit of a flamewar? Didn't even remember I ''insulted'' him.

@Mythologically Sorry dude, I didn't mean to ''verbally abuse'' you. I didn't read all of your replies to Tsukuyomi, I would've adressed that first but I went straight away to your post that adressed my points. Seriously, I apologize for that.
 
Sep 23, 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 86
If I had to guess it'd be that vikings are boring. I'm certainly not interested at all based on what I've read, but I am curious since it's got such a high score.
 
Sep 23, 3:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Esquirtit said:
@Najumobi @Hajime_Hinata
Okay, seems people believe I insulted him first.

Not at all. I don't know/remember your prior statements.
My comment was only directed at the disgust I believed I detected from his sarcastic statement, & it was intended strictly to expresses my alignment with the sentiment.
 
Sep 23, 3:40 PM

Online
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 986
najumobi said:
Esquirtit said:
@Najumobi @Hajime_Hinata
Okay, seems people believe I insulted him first.

Not at all. I don't know/remember your prior statements.
My comment was only directed at the disgust I believed I detected from his sarcastic statement, & it was intended strictly to expresses my alignment with the sentiment.


Sure, but I believe depending on how people present themselves insults can be justified. So personally I'm not that disgusted by it if there's still room for conversation.
 
Sep 23, 6:54 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 148
Daniel_Naumov said:
rtil said:


not sure what throwing boulders or animation errors have to do with the story, but to each their own.

If you can somehow justify labeling this series as "mature" by providing points of artistic or symbolic value, then you will not sound like a know-nothing loud-mouth that labeels anyone who refuses to worship what they like as the opposite of "mature". You know, like they do in civilized world - provide actual substance, not hot air.

why so defensive? i'm not here to change anyone's mind, i'm just stating the obvious. characters exhibiting superhuman strength in an animated series doesn't prevent a story or its themes from being mature in nature, amongst other things. if you can't extend your disbelief beyond that then you have a narrow understanding of how stories can be told. that's not my fault and it's not my job to educate you. you're obviously irrationally upset about this anime so there's no point in discussing it with you further.
 
Sep 24, 5:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 229
heg said:
there is still less than 200K members at the moment now dont get me wrong that kind of number is popular (afaik anything that reach 100K members on an anime entry here on MAL with its current 6 million total users is popular already) but to me its not reaching Attack on Titan levels yet?

should they have aired this on CrunchyRoll instead that has like 45million users at the moment instead of Amazon Prime which i do not know how many users it has and probably a lot less than CrunchyRoll have

or are there any other reason why its not getting more popular right now?
Yo, debates are heated up here recently.
 
Sep 24, 5:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 520
Okay. Okay.
To make it simple. Is Vinland Saga still slept on or is it getting popular now?

You can look at the amount of fanarts of an anime to know the answer.
As I said before, if the characters aren't moeshit, then it won't be popular.
 
Sep 24, 7:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 666
"Reaching attack of titan level" maybe one or two animes every year could eventually be called that way, this anime isn't one of these
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
 
Sep 26, 1:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 121
LalatinaDarkness said:
Okay. Okay.
To make it simple. Is Vinland Saga still slept on or is it getting popular now?

You can look at the amount of fanarts of an anime to know the answer.
As I said before, if the characters aren't moeshit, then it won't be popular.
you clearly dont pay attention to what's popular then, the most popular anime are always the ones without "moe", it's the ones like attack on titan that are the most "normal" and innoffensive thus appealing to a bigger audience
 
Sep 26, 1:00 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 228
Im surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet, the level of stupidity here is too strong...As expected of MAL
 
Sep 26, 10:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 505
I Read this thread with berserk golden age ost in the background, it feels good.
 
Sep 27, 12:13 AM
Tail On!

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 82
Mythologically said:
I think the main thing hindering Vinland Saga's popularity growth is that it is garbage.


True but being garbage isn't stoppning KnY from being popular.
 
Sep 27, 1:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 217
Oh god this thread is major flaming bait. I'm surprised that no mod has locked it yet.
"Someone has to do it. Not a hero, not a God. Just someone" - Askeladd
 
Sep 27, 2:12 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 229
Jfs_ said:
I Read this thread with berserk golden age ost in the background, it feels good.
hehe, your post is gold. 24-carrot gold.
 
Sep 30, 8:52 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 53
Everyone just don't think too much...Its going to be awesome by the end of season...those complaining about the depth of characters..plz allow events to unfold...I read few chapters after ep12 as I felt that anime was too slow but after reading manga I can't wait to see those awesome scenes in manga being animated....I can see a storm coming that is gonna turn all the haters into lovers...plz wait...those who feel it repetitive will also understand reason behind all this build up...plz allow events to unfold...Its really gonna be great...after reading ahead I realised how great it is and can't be compared to any other show.....
Modified by Nxt_Arsenic, Sep 30, 8:56 AM
 
Oct 1, 11:20 AM

Online
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 903
Roevhaal said:
Mythologically said:
I think the main thing hindering Vinland Saga's popularity growth is that it is garbage.


True but being garbage isn't stoppning KnY from being popular.

Well, your opinion doesn't matter at all.





Idk why, but it still doesn't matter.

Oh and you also have favourites, so don't talk with trash taste like that.
People on MAL in a nutshell


 
Oct 1, 12:21 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 39
-Aincrad- said:
Roevhaal said:


True but being garbage isn't stoppning KnY from being popular.

Well, your opinion doesn't matter at all.





Idk why, but it still doesn't matter.

Oh and you also have favourites, so don't talk with trash taste like that.


It’s just what happens when people love something. Everything else is terrible lol
 
Oct 2, 1:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 13540
This thread should be read while eating pop corns
 
Oct 2, 2:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 217
Xenocrisi said:
This thread should be read while eating pop corns

Save me some please!
"Someone has to do it. Not a hero, not a God. Just someone" - Askeladd
 
Oct 2, 2:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 50
It's the most overrated and predictable anime that I have ever seen. I dropped it when Thor died since he was the only interesting character I can't stand his bratty son.
 
Oct 2, 2:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 217
BlackPilled said:
It's the most overrated and predictable anime that I have ever seen. I dropped it when Thor died since he was the only interesting character I can't stand his bratty son.

Hell, why not. I'll drop my popcorn and get into a little debate shall we?

While predictable, Thors' death acted more as a building block to the narrative. It could also represent the harsh reality of the world of the era he lived in, as acting like a pacifist would inevitably lead to your death.
Oh, and it seems you just want a likable and relatable character. Rather than one whose character flaws (not technical) can be irritating to a casual audience. You'd probably hate Thorfinn even more later, so it's a good idea to keep it dropped.
I hate the term "overrated" btw. Not because it's insult against the target, but because of the glaring subjectivity it has. It sometimes has hypocritical underlines.
"Someone has to do it. Not a hero, not a God. Just someone" - Askeladd
 
Oct 2, 2:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1912
Xenocrisi said:
This thread should be read while eating pop corns
Same with Kimetsu no Yaiba threads
 
Oct 2, 3:44 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4171
BlackPilled said:
It's the most overrated and predictable anime that I have ever seen. I dropped it when Thor died since he was the only interesting character I can't stand his bratty son.


"iT's OvErRaTeD"
 
Oct 2, 6:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 13540
mhkr said:
Xenocrisi said:
This thread should be read while eating pop corns
Same with Kimetsu no Yaiba threads

Let’s say both are pop corn entertainment worthy
 
Oct 7, 7:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 415
Good, normies don't deserve it.
 
Oct 7, 1:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
CondemneDio said:
It doesn't seem to attract the typical anime fan. Might be the setting, or the way it is presented. And since it doesn't have big boobs in frame 90 % of the time, waifu-oglers steer clear.

The anime isn't perfect but easily the best of the season.


Agree with you. I think this season is going to be a good foundation for future seasons. And if we want to enjoy a different anime, we always have to be enough motivation to invest our time. VS definitely worth it.
 
Oct 7, 7:08 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 187
I think once we get deeper into the story into the character development arcs and even the political intrigue this is gonna pick in popularity. Maybe wishful thinking from a fan of the manga and anime but I can't such a great story not getting more attention.
 
Oct 7, 10:40 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
It's not for casual audiences which is why not everyone appreciates it. I mean look at Fate/Apocrypha for example. Most of the core fanbase considers it a trainwreck and a bastardization of the franchise for it's immature writing but casuals love it because it has flashy fights, cool badass OP MC and cute waifus. Kimetsu No Yaiba on the other hand is more broad in its appeal. It has more than enough face value entertainment for casuals but it's writing and human characters can still be liked by mature audiences. Vinland Saga is a seinen made for mature audiences who want a well written story with compelling characters who are actually human than a hero.
 
Oct 8, 1:01 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2294
" is the popularity growth hindered by something?"

It's not trashy and overly melodramatic enough to be popular.
Also sometimes its characters try to solve or go around the problems instead of smashing them with will and dedication. The characters who don't do that are killed.
This is a bit uncomfortable and surprising for some watchers.
 
Oct 9, 6:37 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 549
I'm just surprised by how it seems like so many people almost seem desperate to hate on/shit on this show? I'm only like 5 eps in but I've been loving it so far, it's refreshing compared to most seasonal anime and I'm definitely interested in reading the manga. I'm just glad to be seeing more seinen adaptations as of late in general.

Elucid said:
BlackPilled said:
It's the most overrated and predictable anime that I have ever seen. I dropped it when Thor died since he was the only interesting character I can't stand his bratty son.


I hate the term "overrated" btw. Not because it's insult against the target, but because of the glaring subjectivity it has. It sometimes has hypocritical underlines.

Hell yeah brother, completely agreed, "it's overrated" is a '''''criticism''''' used almost exclusively by stupid people who's thought process is "IT POPULAR THEREFORE IT BAD" most of the time.
Modified by Modernoir, Oct 9, 6:44 AM
 
Oct 10, 5:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 82
NotFred said:
CorkMars said:
Not reaching Attack on Titan levels of popularity?? Are you ok? Is everything alright?

The answer is obvious! Vinland Saga is simply not good. Attack on Titan is good and can appeal to a far wider audience. AoT has more realistic characters despite a fantasy setting, far better cg, better music, and an interesting plot full of mystery. When I watch AoT its because I have lots of things I'm curious about and want to fund out!! Vinland on the other hand has no stakes, no questions, and nothing remotely interesting about it to speak of!! The only conflict established in 9 episodes is that OP kid wants to kill goatee guy but won't do it in his sleep because he wants to honor his father (let it be noted that truly honoring his father would mean giving up on the cycle of violence and forgoing this sort of revenge plot.) The animation sucks, the plot sucks, and the characters suck. I was excited for Vinland ever since it was announced! I thought it was a show with seemingly endless potential. Now I tell my friends not to bother watching it unless they're still operating on a Dragon Ball/ Bleach/ Prince of Stride level of horribly childish anime taste.

Please don't ask silly questions like this. If you actually think Vinland deserves to be one of the most popular anime of all time alongside AoT... Well there's really nothing I can do for you except laugh.

I never disagreed with someone that much.

Vinland Saga already developed characters more than entire Aot's s1.

Animation is done decently, you're probably expecting Demon slayer quality.

So you're telling " a kid trying to kill a goatee guy" is gonna be the entire story? There's more to that. Aot's first 8 eps were literally: "Titans attack, kill the titans" Vinland Saga is more than just a revenge story, that's why people consider it a masterpiece.

Not every anime needs mystery to be good. Vinland saga is about the journey, not the destination.
What character development? We're already in the second half of the show and all we got to see was a bit more about Askeladd (not that I'd call it development), as Thorfinn is still obsessed with killing him, refusing to learn from his dad and his revenge plot has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on currently in the show, making it even harder to be invested.
 
Oct 11, 9:03 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
DupeusT31 said:
What character development? We're already in the second half of the show and all we got to see was a bit more about Askeladd (not that I'd call it development), as Thorfinn is still obsessed with killing him, refusing to learn from his dad and his revenge plot has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on currently in the show, making it even harder to be invested.


I disagree with your opinion about character development.

In E13 Canute is starting to get character development after we began following him in E10. Thorfinn isn't in the spotlight, but he's the reason Canute was pushed to the point where he was motivated to come out of his shell a little to defend himself. And Canute's development is significant because it's necessary for Askeladd's plans, arguable Vinland's most intriguing aspect currently. The story could progress faster, but it's steadily gaining steam, nonetheless.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

Preview MangaManga Store