Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 8, 2019 5:46 AM

I just watched this movie. It was good and I got emotional a couple of times, but I have very mixed feelings on the movie. Was wondering if you could shed some light on why people praise it so high.

By the end, I thought not much had happened to Ishida to 'redeem' him and make him see people's faces again. All his 'friends' plots kind of fall by the wayside too. Tons of deeprooted issues with most of them, and most we get from some characters is a tiny I'm sorry by the end, and we're supposed to think everything is fine? Ueno didn't even change at all.

And that's kind of the feeling I had overall, too. Yeah, stuff happens.. but nothing had enough impact to make for the big change in Ishida I feel. Close to the end, they're both still suicidal as hell. I just kind of felt like nothing progressed, until Ishida suddenly sees people again.

Sorry if it's kinda rambly but I just watched it and I have a hard time putting what I felt into words.

Maybe it's because I can't relate well to the bullying aspect of the story, but I personally don't get 'it', I guess, and was hoping you could pinpoint some of its traits people love.

Sep 14, 2019 3:18 PM

I agree; it there ws a lesson to be learned here it was not expressed very well.

Yes - Ishida reconnects with Nishimiya, yet they are still two ships passing in the night. I loved that he apologized and through his own hardships learned a lesson. He was isolated and became the recipient of bullying, which gave him upfront and personal view of that world.

More focus should have been put on Ishida and Shimada's betrayal; that's was the only closure lacking. Ueno, sorry, is just an itch with a B in front. As NickRedMachine said, she hasn't changed at all. That one really needs to mature, on many levels. Maybe she had a secret crush on Ishida and was too tsundere to tell him.

Overall, I liked the story although I feel there wasn't much depth. Koe no Katachi only scratched the surface on the issue of bullying.

Sep 20, 2019 6:04 PM
He got over his guilt by seeing nishimiya act the same way and seeing how despite how she thought it wasn't all her fault. He then confronts his past when he apologizes finally to nishimiya on the bridge. With the help of seeing how much his friends cared about him and how much of his worry was just in his head his anxiety cleared up enough to stop blocking out the world and then he cries when he realizes how wonderful it all is.

It feels powerful to me because it feels realistic. He didn't suddenly shift to become a whole different person, he shifted minorly but that change was enough.

I'm upset about the circle in the ending scene though. I really wish it was more clear cause to me it either feels like him and nishimiya walking side by side into the bright future OR him dying in his hospital bed and I can't find anything in that final scene to rule either interpretation out.

The side characters don't get tons of development but it's a movie with over 2 hours run time as is. I felt we can learn enough about most of them through their actions and expressions. I wouldn't have complained about more though.

Dec 14, 2019 11:14 AM
In case it wasn't obvious at this point, SPOILER ALERT, lol.

So, your point is "nothing really happened for Ishida to change". Sorry to ask, but... did you sleep during the movie? xD.
Ishida almost killed himself and fell from a building saving Shouko. It's more than enough to bring a change. What did you want Ishida to do exactly? Save the Earth from an alien invasion? xD
The point of the character is: he feels he doesn't deserve to live. He's seeking redemption in the entire movie, and finally finds it once he saves the girl he bullied.

You also bring the point that "in the end, they're still suicidal". I mean, do you really think suicidal thoughts just disappear, like that? That's not how it works, buddy. Suicidal thoughts is a chimera that lives inside someone their entire life, until they give up or die of something else.
There's nothing to resolve here. They had wanted to die at some point in their life, maybe that will happen later again or maybe not. But for now, they're together and happy.

About the support characters, you're right, they do fall on the sides, and that's the biggest flaw of the movie in my opinion. Luckily, that doesn't happen in the manga. Each character has at least a chapter dedicated to their story, and there's also an entire plot revolving around the group. All that didn't make it in the movie, sadly. If you're interested, you should read the manga.

Now, about your main question. There's so much to love in this movie that I don't know where to start, but here I go.

First, the topic. I was bullied at some point in my life, so I totally relate to the situation. Each of these characters is a very realistic role that I literally met in my life.
The bullies, the hypocrites who do nothing but laugh and then say "But I didn't do anything!", the teacher who does nothing (and even sometimes laugh), but also the mother who protects/avenges her child, the new friends who help getting over the stuff, I have known each and everyone of those roles in real life. That's how realistic this movie was.

There's also the obvious emotional stake. This movie is a bomb for the heart.

Then, there's the huge work on sounds and visuals. And I'm not just talking about its being "beautiful" or not. There's so much to talk about: symbolic visuals (the meaning of the flowers and the fireworks, Shouko being in a sort of cage sometimes, her fake smile, the plans where we don't see the characters'faces because Ishida does not look at them, .....), the muffled music or dialogues (obviously related to Shouko's condition), ...

Basically, there's an INSANE AMOUNT of non-verbal language in the movie. Even the name of the tracks in the OST hide some meaning.

Then, there's the obvious high production value. The animation is top-tier (especially when it involves water), the direction is top-tier (some scenes are just insanely powerful ; Shouko's suicide attempt always gives me shivers).

So, I think that's pretty much it. It's a very emotional movie with a high production value and an insane amount of meaning. You should search a bit about this movie on Google, about all the symbolism in it!
Modified by Dante012, Dec 14, 2019 11:38 AM
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.

Dec 14, 2019 11:27 AM

Dante012 said:
In case it wasn't obvious at this point, SPOILER ALERT, lol.

So, your point is "nothing really happened for Ishida to change". Sorry to ask, but... did you sleep during the movie? xD.
Ishida almost killed himself and fell from a building saving Shouko. It's more than enough to bring a change. What did you want Ishida to do exactly? Save the Earth from an alien invasion? xD
The point of the character is: he feels he doesn't deserve to live. He's seeking redemption in the entire movie, and finally finds it once he saves the girl he bullied.

You also bring the point that "in the end, they're still suicidal". I mean, do you really think suicidal thoughts just disappear, like that? That's not how it works, buddy. Suicidal thoughts is a chimera that lives inside someone their entire life, until they give up or die of something else.
There's nothing to resolve here. They had wanted to die at some point in their life, maybe that will happen later again or maybe not. But for now, they're together and happy.

About the support characters, you're right, they do fall on the sides, and that's the biggest flaw of the movie in my opinion. Luckily, that doesn't happen in the manga. Each character has at least a chapter dedicated to their story, and there's also an entire plot revolving around the group. All that didn't make it in the movie, sadly. If you're interested, you should read the manga.

Now, about your main question. There's so much to love in this movie that I don't know where to start, but here I go.

First, the topic. I was bullied at some point in my life, so I totally relate to the situation. Each of these characters is a very realistic role that I literally met in my life.
The bullies, the hypocrites who do nothing but laugh and then say "But I didn't do anything!", the teacher who does nothing (and even sometimes laugh), but also the mother who protects/avenges her child, the new friends who help getting over the stuff, I have known each and everyone of those roles in real life. That's how realistic this movie was.

Then, there's the huge work on sounds and visuals. And I'm not just talking about its being "beautiful" or not. There's so much to talk about: symbolic visuals (the meaning of the flowers and the fireworks, Shouko being in a sort of cage sometimes, her fake smile, the plans where we don't see the characters'faces because Ishida does not look at them, .....), the muffled music or dialogues (obviously related to Shouko's condition), ...

Basically, there's an INSANE AMOUNT of non-verbal language in the movie. Even the name of the tracks in the OST hide some meaning.

Then, there's the obvious high production value. The animation is top-tier (especially when it involves water), the direction is top-tier (some scenes are just insanely powerful ; Shouko's suicide attempt always gives me shivers).

So, I think that's pretty much it. It's a very well made movie with an insane amount of meaning. You should search a bit about this movie on Google, about all the symbolism in it.

I appreciate your explanation, but I think the fact that I can't specifically relate to it probably won't make me understand or like it any better in retrospect. Like I felt like I understood it, that wasn't the issue. It just felt like a lot of things happened way too quickly and didn't have enough substance to them. But someone who can relate to the situations better might have felt different, I can't speak for that.

Dec 14, 2019 11:40 AM
Oh, I can definitely agree there's an issue with the rythm in the movie ^^. I felt like it sometimes goes too fast, while taking its time on pointless stuff. (Again, that's a problem that doesn't exist in the manga xD)
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.

Jan 4, 8:21 AM

I totally get what the movie tried to offer but yeah you're right. The ending was kind of meh that put me off a little considering the hype this one gets

Jan 22, 6:47 AM
The ending makes more since in the manga. I think you’ll find the closure you’re looking for there. The anime left out a pretty big plot point that tied all the characters together in the end of the manga. I’d recommend reading from chapter 1 since there was a good amount of content cut.

Feb 9, 9:54 AM
movie feels so empty compared to the manga

Feb 10, 1:58 AM

I think exactly the same! I watched this movie a couple of days ago and I've been feeling depressed since then, instead of some kind of relief and pleasure due to main characters' change.
Koe no Katachi tells a story about a significant problem and creates characters in such a way that plenty of people can relate to them, so it's truly worth its popularity, yet I think it too much focuses on Ishida and Nishimiya's struggles in life compared to them trying to fix all this mess, so, in the end, this ehole change of life feels even a bit forced. This is my opinion, though.

Feb 15, 4:30 AM
god - i felt this way too. my feelings on ueno and kawai didn't change at all, at the end i went on a huge rant to my friends about how their "redemption" arcs were practically nonexistent. it was a great watch and i cried a lot but i wish they went into more detail about why they acted that way and at the very least have made them apologise like a normal person would after bullying someone for years.

Feb 15, 7:06 AM

sunsetbow said:
god - i felt this way too. my feelings on ueno and kawai didn't change at all, at the end i went on a huge rant to my friends about how their "redemption" arcs were practically nonexistent. it was a great watch and i cried a lot but i wish they went into more detail about why they acted that way and at the very least have made them apologise like a normal person would after bullying someone for years.

The actual story between the bully and the deaf girl is, of course, emotional and nice. It feels like that's what the writer wanted to focus on, because everything else around it (their personal arcs, the side characters, etc) was all very rushed. I hear the manga does it better, but most people didn't read it.

Feb 19, 5:56 AM
What if they make sequel of it the girl with hearing dissabilities,will be able to hear clearly and start speaking correctly and communicate with her friends,And to the guy who bullied her on thier elementary and make the story a happy ending with a love story <3

Feb 19, 8:15 AM

Kenneth_KuN said:
What if they make sequel of it the girl with hearing dissabilities,will be able to hear clearly and start speaking correctly and communicate with her friends,And to the guy who bullied her on thier elementary and make the story a happy ending with a love story <3

A sequel to further explore that which wasn't explored in the first movie, as well as continue their relationships and the hardships that would come with it, would be incredible and I would not doubt like it even better than this one.

Feb 20, 12:41 AM
Hope the writter could read this, this would be a big hit on anime world wide! If its gonna happen...

Feb 24, 6:37 PM
God... I hate the ending. That was a typical japanese ending and straight up bullshit. None of them deserves an apology from Shoja except of Shoko and Tomohiro.

Miki, Naoka and Kazuki made jokes of Shoko too and when she left school, they were blaming Shoko alone and bullying him instead of her. I mean, that's not what friends do, right? They could blame him if they would have tried to stop him, but they were just as bad as him.

After the time skip, Naoka is still an abusive bitch and Miki still doesn't admit that she was part of the problem. Naoka still attacks Shoko till the end and Miki still blames Shoja alone in front of their new class. Then they all meet on the bridge and Shoja finally tells them that they were assholes too...

And what is he doing in the end? He apologizes for what he said, even though he was completely right. They all are happy together and become friends again.

GODAWFUL.

The right thing would have been to tell Naoka, Miki and Kazuki that they are sons of bitches, that they should fuck off and that they should never talk to him or Shoko again because they are not friends and they will never become friends again. Then apologize to Shoko and Tomohiro. As simple as that. How I hate those Japanese "let's all become friends in the end no matter what happened" endings.
Modified by advocatus, Feb 24, 6:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store