Forum Settings
Forums

Do you usually watch Anime alone or with people? (Friends, your parents, etc...)

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Poll: Which one do you like the most?

Sep 11, 2019 9:47 AM

Tuliharja said:
Also, I've no friends in real life to watch it, since they think it's too 'childish'.
Show the dog scene from Elfen Lied to them then, they will change their mind.

Sep 11, 2019 9:51 AM

I've watched it both alone and with someone else. All i can say from this experience is that watching it alone is way better because you get to experience it in a much better way.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Sep 11, 2019 11:12 AM

DavidAlejandro said:
Tuliharja said:
Also, I've no friends in real life to watch it, since they think it's too 'childish'.

I actually showed them a scene from Attack on Titan where the Titan eats a person and they were all 'eww, what the-?!' (Funny thing is, my friends watch horror movies where is much more blood and killing, but that single scene was too yucky for them to handle.) Yet still nope, anime is too 'childish'. ^^'
Mere witch.

Sep 11, 2019 11:17 AM

Tuliharja said:
DavidAlejandro said:

I actually showed them a scene from Attack on Titan where the Titan eats a person and they were all 'eww, what the-?!' (Funny thing is, my friends watch horror movies where is much more blood and killing, but that single scene was too yucky for them to handle.) Yet still nope, anime is too 'childish'. ^^'
Lol, what a bunch of fucktards------

Sep 11, 2019 11:46 AM

Alone mostly. But watched a few with my sis (borrowed from the library)

Sep 11, 2019 12:05 PM

I watch animes alone only, however I rewatch the animes I show to my parents

and if I had a boyfriend, I'd gladly watch my animes with him
And then, God missed a step of his stairs

Sep 11, 2019 1:03 PM

I've tried watching anime with others and it didn't work out so well. I'm currently trying to make it work with one friend by being picky about what we watch.

Thing is, for me and I would bet many others, there is a limit to how immersed I can get when in a room with other people. I think it's in our nature to be aware of others who are around us and it puts us in a mindset that isn't super helpful for really getting emotionally engaged with what we're watching.

I could not possibly imagine watching Clannad from start to finish and bawling my eyes out in front of my bros. Or any other people. And it's not only a masculine kind of thing where I would be trying to hide my feeling and/or not look vulnerable. I'm very open about my feelings and have no problem appearing vulnerable. But... it's hard to describe. Something about being around other people just puts one in to a different state of being.

I think there are some interesting facets to this in connection with the introvert / extrovert dichotomy. An introvert feels drained of energy around people. It takes effort for us and we need alone time to recharge. So I think part of it is that a certain amount of energy is being taken from us in those social situation and this we can't fully emotionally commit to what we're watching.

I don't know how this stuff would work with extroverts. The cynical side of me wants to say that extroverts aren't as sensitive or emotionally available as introverts so they couldn't possibly enjoy a highly emotional tear-jerker in either case - with others or alone. But... I can certainly imagine extroverts getting together to watch hype action type stuff and enjoying it more because they fuel each other with their presence.

So, as with anything, what one gets from watching alone or with others depends on the person. As for me, I want to enjoy anime with my friends, but as I said, it hasn't worked out in the past for the above reasons. Still, I'm looking to try it again with one particular friend, but we'll be watching hype action type stuff without too much emotional or atmospheric content that requires high levels of immersion and engagement. I think comedy would be a good choice too, but I'm not sure this particular friend is on-board with the distinctively Japanese style of comedy in most anime.
Lastest Blog Post: Kneejerk Review: Beastars

Watching: Symphogear GX, Fate/Apocrypha
Weeklies: Koisuru Asteroid, Murenase, BOFURI, Nekopara, Hatena Illusion
Recently Finished: Symphogear (9), Heavens Feel II (10), Houkago Saikoro Club (7), Symphogear G (9), Choyoyu (5), Gekihatsu Boy (5), Honzuki (9), Strawberry Panic (9), Beastars (8), No Guns Life (7)

Sig Girl: Mary Steinberg (No Guns Life)

Sep 11, 2019 1:26 PM

Alone

Even if I had someone I could watch it with, I wouldn't(I think)

I can only express my true feelings(happiness,sadness,hype,shock etc) when I'm alone
Rem best girl

Sep 11, 2019 1:30 PM
I enjoy Anime as a social activity, with commentary and analysis, so I prefer consuming it with other people. Regularly pausing to discuss the plot, comment on stuff or just critic how bad something is.

If I am alone I,d usually spend the time doing something else, like video games or reading manga.

Sep 11, 2019 1:34 PM

i normally watch anime with my boyfriend, sometimes with my best friend, seen some with my sister too. i still have my own personal list of shows that ill watch on my own, but more often than not itll be the bf and me

Sep 11, 2019 1:40 PM

I'm watching anime on my laptop with wireless earphones, but in the same room as my girlfriend, who gets to watch on our much bigger tv with the normal sound on (not jealous at all). So I'm watching the anime alone but I'm sharing my watching experience with my girlfriend. I've tried to get her into anime but she just doesn't have the same level of enthusiasm as me.

I enjoy having her presence in the room with me though tbh, I don't think I'd like just being completely on my own when watching anime (but that's because we've been together nearly 18 years, so doing anything alone is strange when you've had a partner that long). I'm not saying watching anime alone is a bad thing.

I wish my cute blonde girlfriend, with a generous rack, would actually like anime though and get interested in it, but that's too much to ask, having a hot girlfriend that appreciates anime as much as we do is every otaku's dream.

I did get her to watch Little Witch Academia and most of the Studio Ghibli films (Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away & Laputa Castle In The Sky).

Sep 11, 2019 1:52 PM

Yeah, it's much to watch anime alone if you don't want to put your life in danger.

Sep 11, 2019 1:55 PM

Watching highschool dxd with parents
XD
Modified by TinyTempest, Sep 11, 2019 2:18 PM

Sep 11, 2019 2:16 PM

Alone. Other people are just a distraction and I'd rather watch something uninterrupted if I haven't seen it.

I'll watch things I have already seen with others though, since I already know what happens and distractions won't matter.
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)

Sep 11, 2019 2:35 PM
I mostly watch anime alone but have watched it with friends to it's pretty fun. I haven't done big marathons with friends though (10-15ep).

Oct 9, 2019 12:48 AM

I only ever watch anime with my partner because we're both big on making and hearing eachother's commentary while we watch literally anything. It's how we spend a lot of our time together, actually, so it feels strange for either of us to sit down alone and quietly view anything other than YouTube videos. Even before that, I was in Anime Club and got the most enjoyment out of anime when I shared it with my friends, so anime has always been a very social medium for me.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?

Oct 9, 2019 1:05 AM

alone since idk thats what most ppl do, but i wanna watch with some friends again sometime, its fun

Oct 9, 2019 1:07 AM

I usually watch my asian cartoons with my friends and never with my family. Like, they know Im a weeb, but never really wanted to try if its any good.

Oct 9, 2019 1:11 AM
Gekiga fanatic

I sometimes simulwatch anime with some discord friends but most of the time it wasn't that great, either there were plenty of awkward silence or too much people talking and you can't concentrate fully on what's happening.
I find it much better to stay in bed alone and chill

Oct 9, 2019 1:19 AM
*sips coffee*

huntress1013 said:
Wow. I belong to a serious minority here because I watch quite a lot of anime with friends and family. Just like regular shows and movies. There is no difference.

Yeah, I second this. While I watch most anime alone, I do tend to watch quite a bit with my family and peers as well.

Oct 9, 2019 1:35 AM

Daniel_Dreiberg said:
some anime or some scenes are kinda cringy or corny so I want to keep it to myself

Pretty much this

An example would be Kakegurui. I love that series and when I watched it alone I took it seriously. Then I tried to rewatch it with some of my friends, and they made fun of it because of the expressions. I mean, I don’t blame them. But that’s not the purpose of that anime

Oct 9, 2019 4:29 AM

I watch them alone due to necessity. I don't have the luxury, nor do my friends, to lounge around and watch stuff all the time. I do quite enjoy sharing things with them a lot more than just watching shows alone.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ

Oct 9, 2019 4:33 AM

When it comes to anime music, I like showing it to my sibling and I usually play it freely whenever I feel like it on my desktop, but when it comes to watching anime, 99.99% of the times, I prefer to do it alone in a dark room (to block out the sun, as I sit in a chair in my room that faces the window, so yeah..:\)
Anime Watcher and Manga Reader Extraordinaire!!
Especially knowledgeable in the Slice of Life department, ask away if you want help finding good animes or mangas!! ;)

Im also a huge AniMu Fan.

No AniMu, No Life

Oct 9, 2019 4:36 AM
NuzzleCat!

I prefer to watch Anime with my friends & family As a matter of fact, I very rarely watch Anime by myself.

Oct 9, 2019 6:08 AM

I have always watched anime (+ cartoons, movies, etc) alone.
Though I'd love to watch anime with a boyfriend, if I had one

Nov 27, 2019 7:12 AM

I prefer to watch alone cuz the people around me hates anime. I once watched anime with my daddy when I got sick but he kept criticize the story so not gonna do that again.

Nov 27, 2019 4:24 PM

Watch anime series alone at my own pace.

Nov 27, 2019 4:27 PM
Both, alone on weekdays, with my girlfriend the weekends

Nov 27, 2019 5:16 PM
I only recall watching anime with others when I was a child. Now, I exclusively watch it by myself. It's been so long since I've watched it with someone else that I don't know what I prefer.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]