Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite: Calling all grammar gurus and proofreading pros!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Sep 6, 1:30 PM
DB Administrator
Faerie Queen

Rewriting one crummy synopsis at a time.

1,750+ synopses uploaded, and counting!

What is MAL Rewrite?
MAL Rewrite is a project tasked with the goal of rewriting all anime and manga synopses in our databases. Yes, all. We think that trustworthy, well-written synopses by the community for the community is one important factor when deciding what to watch/read. Towards this goal, we hold two recruitment drives per year to recruit users who are also passionate about synopses, and want to give a little of their time to MAL in a productive way.

How do I get involved?
Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is currently looking for:
  • !! Editors: Users who possess excellent grammar skills and are proofreading ninjas with a keen eye for detail and accuracy. English does not have to be your native language. All editors must be good writers (and you can still write synopsis as an editor, too!).

• Writers: Users who have an aptitude and passion for writing and producing superior content. English does not have to be your native language. It's preferable that you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

Ready to participate?
Submit the MAL Rewrite Application Form. We will evaluate your writing and/or editing skills, and if we find that you meet our requirements, you will be invited to join the club. Please note that MAL Rewrite is always recruiting. There is no deadline.

Interested in learning more about MAL Rewrite and following its achievements? Subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter.

We look forward to your submissions :)

Please note: Site moderating hiring and Rewrite recruitment are independent affairs managed by different people. Manga Moderator hiring is still underway⁠—the new team will be announced in full soonTM.
Modified by Kineta, Sep 7, 12:16 PM

Open Staff Apps  
Guidelines & FAQ  
Report Abuse  
Listen ♪  

Thanks to 
AnimeboyAnubhab

Sep 6, 2:34 PM

Come and join! It's super fun :)

Sep 6, 3:56 PM

No thanks.

Sep 6, 4:15 PM
this what we want though..

Sep 6, 5:24 PM
I just finished filling out the form. Should I expect to receive some sort of confirmation or will I only be contacted in case the application is accepted?

Sep 6, 5:28 PM
Count me in...love a good rewrite!

Sep 6, 5:47 PM
Review Moderator
Holy Durandal

Join guys! We're always looking for new people. Can guarantee it's super fun :^)

Sep 6, 7:52 PM

paulibobo said:
I just finished filling out the form. Should I expect to receive some sort of confirmation or will I only be contacted in case the application is accepted?

You'll be notified about a final decision once your app has been reviewed!

Sep 6, 7:56 PM

Oh dear god xD...

If it stays always open I may join after I'm done of college hell ♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
yeeet!

Sep 6, 9:19 PM
All Hail Mimorin

Rewrite is a great place to hone your writing skills as well as help spread the word on anime and manga that you enjoy! It's also a lot of fun getting to know and talk with the members of the organization. We hope to see many of you join the team (especially editors!)

Sep 7, 2:27 AM

I have just applied. I am not a native speaker, but I hope to be part of the group to improve my English writing in the future!
"By thinking of things you could understand them." Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Sep 7, 8:22 AM
I'm the JOKER bb

If you think you have a knack for writing and/or proofreading and want to make a difference on MAL, this is the place for you. It's also a great way to make new friends!

Sep 7, 8:37 AM
No thanks.

Sep 7, 8:52 AM
uberguber said:
If you think you have a knack for writing and/or proofreading and want to make a difference on MAL, this is the place for you. It's also a great way to make new friends!

OR become a raid boss!
Re:formed

Sep 7, 9:44 AM

No thanks.

Sep 7, 11:06 AM
Meusnier said:
I have just applied. I am not a native speaker, but I hope to be part of the group to improve my English writing in the future!

MAL Duwang Rewrites

Sep 7, 11:55 AM

Oh that's a good initiative ! I think I'll try and send in an application to be editor

Sep 7, 1:48 PM

Application sent! Took me a few hours of fine tuning, but I really enjoyed writing it. Can't wait for some feedback to improve on.

Sep 7, 3:18 PM
TheAverageOtaku said:
Meusnier said:

MAL Duwang Rewrites

"This show is the fucking good!"

"There must be no show as beautiful as this one. C H E W"

Sep 7, 10:46 PM

Generally not a fan of the Rewrite style. Rhetorical flourishes do not belong in brief product summaries of someone else's work. Also I got rejected last time I applied.

Sep 8, 2:02 AM
MangaZed said:
Application sent! Took me a few hours of fine tuning, but I really enjoyed writing it. Can't wait for some feedback to improve on.

That makes it two of us. Maybe in two more months I will get mine, and then someday you get yours! Stay determined.

Sep 8, 2:15 AM
Daddy-O said:
Also I got rejected last time I applied.
Same here :(

Sep 8, 2:32 AM

paulibobo said:
TheAverageOtaku said:

MAL Duwang Rewrites

I had to look it up to understand what you guys were talking about... I take the challenge to do worst if I get accepted in the group.
"By thinking of things you could understand them." Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Sep 8, 7:55 AM
TNC Creator

Good luck to those who do apply, and I definitely enjoyed my time with MAL Rewrite! When I was younger, it helped me get my English grade up from 80 to a 90+, and overall it helped with my comprehension of the English language. Thanks a lot MAL Rewrite, and once again, good luck to those who apply!

··Wʜᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ᴀ ʀᴜɴ﹐ ᴀ ᴊᴏɢ﹐ ᴏʀ ᴀ ᴡᴀʟᴋ﹐ ᴏɴᴇ ꜱᴛᴇᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ.··

Sep 8, 12:00 PM

What a beautiful duwang.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Sep 8, 12:33 PM

OsamaKIN-TMZ said:
Oh dear god xD...

If it stays always open I may join after I'm done of college hell ♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
yeeet!

You can apply whenever you want, this is just a time when we're actively trying to get people to join.

Sep 8, 3:23 PM
No thanks

Sep 8, 3:24 PM

I recommend joining, I only edit like 3 anime synopses a month, and even that is voluntary. You don't really need to worry about time constraints or pressure, its very easy going, and the team is grateful for any help it gets.

Sep 8, 7:17 PM

"I volunteer as tribute!"

Sep 9, 5:05 AM
oooof

Sep 9, 9:51 AM
paulibobo said:
TheAverageOtaku said:

MAL Duwang Rewrites

As a non native speaker, is the 2nd sentence improper? If so what's a better way to phrase it?

Sep 9, 1:11 PM

Happy_Sensei said:
paulibobo said:

As a non native speaker, is the 2nd sentence improper? If so what's a better way to phrase it?

The second phrase also seems grammatically correct to me, and I could not find something similar on english stackexchange, but I think that they refer to the translation: "There must be no other place as beautiful as this town." of some dialogue in the manga. A native speaker who cannot give a proper logical explanation will just have to say that a native speaker would not write like this, sorry that it is "not idiomatic".

Sep 9, 1:19 PM
Meusnier said:
Happy_Sensei said:

The second phrase also seems grammatically correct to me, and I could not find something similar on english stackexchange, but I think that they refer to the translation: "There must be no other place as beautiful as this town." of some dialogue in the manga. A native speaker who cannot give a proper logical explanation will just have to say that a native speaker would not write like this, sorry that it is "not idiomatic".

Oh I think I get it, so while it's grammatically correct, it's not something you'd hear a native speaker say? That topic actually came up with my English teacher/proffessor couple months ago, it's probably the same reason why the dialogue is changed a bit in the Eng localization of Jp games

Sep 9, 1:23 PM

Happy_Sensei said:
Meusnier said:

Oh I think I get it, so while it's grammatically correct, it's not something you'd hear a native speaker say? That topic actually came up with my English teacher/professor couple months ago, it's probably the same reason why the dialogue is changed a bit in the Eng localization of Jp games

I think so, but for this precise sentence, I cannot come up with an explanation myself to see how one should change it to make it more idiomatic.

Sep 9, 1:32 PM
Is this to become an editor ?

Sep 9, 3:23 PM

Come join us, we are always looking for new slaves.

Sep 9, 3:24 PM

Scorpz31 said:
Is this to become an editor ?

You can apply as an editor or as a writer. If you apply as an editor, your application will also be viewed as a writer application.

Sep 9, 3:31 PM
Happy_Sensei said:
Meusnier said:

Oh I think I get it, so while it's grammatically correct, it's not something you'd hear a native speaker say? That topic actually came up with my English teacher/proffessor couple months ago, it's probably the same reason why the dialogue is changed a bit in the Eng localization of Jp games

Pretty much this. It's hard to explain why though, in this case, but it comes off as really awkward. There are like 10 sentences you could usehere that would sound much better and more natural.

This sentence isn't famous for being that poorly translated though, it's just because it comes right after "What a beautiful Duwang!" so people remember it.

Sep 9, 3:57 PM
Hey, greetings there, average forum-goer! You think "Aww man these corporate elites are trying to make us do their work for them, naaaah I am better than that". Well, that is wrong. This website is a collective entity with many different backgrounds forming one definite being - MAL. And your background, your ability and your skills could contribute to it becoming better, stronger, smarter and especially more complete! So if you have just a tiny little bit of time and a passion for a united effort, and want to contribute then JUST DO IT! Okay, but why read this nonsensical paragraph, darou??? Just who the heck I think I am, right??
Just look at me. A fail-proof, know-it-all loner who thinks "My dignified self" when others think "I". A vegetarian that is proud of himself and dreaming about adults suddenly disappearing along with their sins, or aliens correcting the wrongs of the century by opening a box of sorts. Completely elitist and if your opinion does not correspond with mine you would be suggested to, imagine the audacity, developer culturally! And even so, I applied! I am doing my part! Apply TODAY! Or the next day! Anytime until the Re:Write project is finished is fine, too!

Sep 10, 12:38 AM

I'm admittedly tempted as an editor. ^_^"
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!

Sep 10, 7:33 AM
I want to join but unfortunately my English is not that fluent 😅
good luck 🙂

Sep 10, 1:29 PM

paulibobo said:
Happy_Sensei said:

Pretty much this. It's hard to explain why though, in this case, but it comes off as really awkward. There are like 10 sentences you could use here that would sound much better and more natural.

This sentence isn't famous for being that poorly translated though, it's just because it comes right after "What a beautiful Duwang!" so people remember it.

Thank you for your insight on this issue. This means that I was right to apply as writer I guess! I am very happy I could join anyway and I hope to make a positive contribution.

Sep 11, 4:32 AM

Speaking of grammar, why are predecessors still called 'prequels' on the anime pages?

Sep 11, 12:56 PM

NickRedMachine said:
Speaking of grammar, why are predecessors still called 'prequels' on the anime pages?

Kaiba-kun, isn't it more a problem of neologism than a problem of grammar? According to the dictionary that I checked there is no such word in Italian, Spanish, French (for the last two I am pretty sure) but in German they also use the word Vorgänger (predecessors). I guess that one may use in general "Prehistory", but it is associated too much in my opinion with a (not so) specific period of History. Would you also recommend to use successors instead of "sequel"? Contrary to scientific slang, it may not be too late to change a bad terminology...

Sep 11, 1:42 PM
Daniel_Naumov said:
MangaZed said:

That makes it two of us. Maybe in two more months I will get mine, and then someday you get yours! Stay determined.
Now that makes three of us! Just sent one

Sep 11, 1:49 PM

Meusnier said:
NickRedMachine said:

Kaiba-kun, isn't it more a problem of neologism than a problem of grammar? According to the dictionary that I checked there is no such word in Italian, Spanish, French (for the last two I am pretty sure) but in German they also use the word Vorgänger (predecessors). I guess that one may use in general "Prehistory", but it is associated too much in my opinion with a (not so) specific period of History. Would you also recommend to use successors instead of "sequel"? Contrary to scientific slang, it may not be too late to change a bad terminology...

Grammar error or not, it's wrong terminology. The 'quel' implies it came after but tells the story of 'before'.

Changing sequel makes no sense unless it's a story that came out first, but takes place later.

Sep 12, 2:30 AM

i'd join just to correct people's grammar
Hello, I like games and anime

Sep 12, 11:48 AM

LeChair said:
i'd join just to correct people's grammar

Nice to see such great enthusiasm! May I also send you my thesis? ^^

Sep 12, 5:24 PM

So cool. Great project MAL team :)