Forum Settings
Forums

How can we protect future generations from violent media?

New
Sep 5, 2019 4:11 PM

Dec 2016
When you watch the news you always hear about mass shootings and how they were influenced by video games and movies. Games like Call of Duty and Fortnite are indoctrinating children that violence is ok, which we all know is not.

Also the fact that a movie like "Joker" is glorifying lonely white male incels and their violent behavior against society is truly disturbing and really makes me feel ashamed that we live in a society.

한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Sep 5, 2019 4:37 PM
Feb 2017
I think we're far past the point of protecting generations. Fighting and murder are everywhere this day and age through movies, video games, TV shows, etc. The idea that it's fake and does not exist IRL appeals to people who want to explore such experiences without any repercussions.

Are you mad? Take your anger out by shooting other players until they're dead, running other people over, or fighting other players! It's basically an outlet for fantasies that most people don't want existing (maybe they'd want to fight, but murder and such are extreme).
Sep 5, 2019 4:53 PM

Mar 2014
Oh look, someone drank the media's kool aid and thinks that video games and movies cause violence when it was proven in the fuckin' 90s that it doesn't.

What is really contributing to mass shootings is the schooling system, and how it teaches kids that moral relativistic and nihilistic worldviews are valid. What do you expect from a generation that values nothing, and sees shooting up a place as a viable alternative to living a normal life?
SawilagarSep 5, 2019 4:57 PM
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Sep 5, 2019 4:53 PM

Jun 2015
BlakexEkalb said:
I think we're far past the point of protecting generations. Fighting and murder are everywhere this day and age through movies, video games, TV shows, etc.

Amen, brother! Before "this day and age", fighting and murder had never been a part of our media entertainment. I guess there's a first time for everything, huh?
bmoore07Sep 5, 2019 5:11 PM
Sep 5, 2019 5:03 PM

Oct 2015
We truly live in a society...

Joker deepest villain
Sep 5, 2019 5:15 PM
Feb 2017
bmoore07 said:
BlakexEkalb said:
I think we're far past the point of protecting generations. Fighting and murder are everywhere this day and age through movies, video games, TV shows, etc.

Amen, brother! Before "this day and age", fighting and murder had never been a part of our media entertainment. I guess there's a first time for everything, huh?

I mean tbf, it's addicting. Being able to put aside all morals and do what you want in a world that is non-existent is one way to escape from reality.
Sep 5, 2019 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
Lol, Fallout 2 was crueler than all the Call of Duty (ilk) combined and yet I've never heard of any mass shooting back then.
Sep 5, 2019 6:06 PM

May 2013
They say "Gamers rise up" but I support "Normies rise up"

Us normies need to fight against the rising danger of "rising gamers"

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 5, 2019 6:10 PM

Sep 2012
The only people that can "protect" children are the parents and enforcement of age rating. "Protecting" by any other way would mean privileges being taken away from the adults.

So, educate the parents.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 5, 2019 6:44 PM

Dec 2012
The only way is to reopen the Colosseum. We must bring back blood sports and appease the gods once more!
Sep 5, 2019 7:09 PM

Jan 2017
Just pull a taiwanese white terror and ban all videos games, books, movies and make anyone who's found with them "disappear".
Sep 5, 2019 8:17 PM

Aug 2018
The dystopian solution is to insert a chip in their brains that overrides their neural system, preventing them from seeing and hearing violent stuff.
<Insert clever quote>
Sep 5, 2019 8:31 PM

Aug 2014
"Violent media" is protected under freedom of speech...in the USA, that is. If you don't like it, move to a totalitarian country or something. You don't "protect" anyone by stifling free expression. Video games and movies do not cause violence. You'd have to be pretty stupid to think this. Millions of people indulge in them and do not go out on a rampage.
Sep 6, 2019 12:09 AM
Jul 2018
yes, because everyone wants to blow up a school bus after a good round of search and destroy
Sep 6, 2019 12:18 AM

Jan 2013
It's been proven time and again that violent media doesn't cause violence. Therefore, we don't really need to protect anyone from them.
Sep 6, 2019 3:33 AM

Feb 2015
The only solution is to ban everything that was ever invented and put every human being in separate isolation cells without any form of possible interaction or communication with others.
Sep 6, 2019 8:43 AM

Jan 2019
DrSexy said:

When you watch the news you always hear about mass shootings and how they were influenced by video games and movies. Games like Call of Duty and Fortnite are indoctrinating children that violence is ok, which we all know is not.

Blame that on poor parenting, kids are easily influenced and shouldn't be playing violent games, it is the lazy parenting that chooses to ignore video game and film ratings and expose children to such things when they are young and easily influenced by the media they consume.

DrSexy said:

Also the fact that a movie like "Joker" is glorifying lonely white male incels and their violent behavior against society is truly disturbing and really makes me feel ashamed that we live in a society.

I haven't seen the Joker movie nor do I plan to, but the theme of man vs. society is not at all a new concept in entertainment; Jules Verne often explored this theme but its not like he is being blamed for violence.

If you are so ashamed to live in society then you should be rooting for violent incels that want to destroy it, right?
Sep 6, 2019 8:56 AM

Jul 2015
Milennin said:
The only solution is to ban everything that was ever invented and put every human being in separate isolation cells without any form of possible interaction or communication with others.

This is literally the most reasonable and humane solution. There's not a single other reasonable option.
Sep 6, 2019 8:59 AM
Feb 2017
PsychoticDave said:
Milennin said:

This is literally the most reasonable and humane solution. There's not a single other reasonable option.

We should all make them dig holes like the movie "Holes" then put them in the holes until they learn their lesson about non-violence.
Sep 6, 2019 9:15 AM

Jul 2014
You don't protect them from it, you teach them how to survive in it.
Sep 6, 2019 9:47 AM

May 2013
@Flevalt
The dangers include:
Mountain Dew shortages
Dorito crisis
Plummeting stock in condom companies

Although there are some benefits like real estate will open up since they will all live in their parents' basements and not apartments, condos, houses, etc.

But the dangers are too great, you never know what a gamer is capable of

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 6, 2019 9:54 AM

Nov 2008
You can't, so don't bother. Your best option is to monitor kids for violent behavior and when it shows talk to them or send them to therapy if necessary.

Sep 6, 2019 9:58 AM

Sep 2018
this is a troll, right?

but i mean, by the end of the next decade, all the children will be running about with ak47's battling all the little chinese children who have occupied the states, so...really, it's probably better we work on desensitizing them MORE
Sep 6, 2019 10:00 AM

Mar 2011
Korrvo said:
The only people that can "protect" children are the parents and enforcement of age rating. "Protecting" by any other way would mean privileges being taken away from the adults.
So, educate the parents.
BallistikJuice said:
Lol, Fallout 2 was crueler than all the Call of Duty (ilk) combined and yet I've never heard of any mass shooting back then.
DiscoDespot said:

DrSexy said:

I haven't seen the Joker movie nor do I plan to, but the theme of man vs. society is not at all a new concept in entertainment; Jules Verne often explored this theme but its not like he is being blamed for violence.

If you are so ashamed to live in society then you should be rooting for violent incels that want to destroy it, right?
Truths (nuv), nuff said.

Regulation and laws exist currently that are really good on books, but then parents have the full authority to override such regulations. Or worse, kids get some adult to give them access. I digress from placing all the blame on parents cause nuances and such..but also some goes to producers of media for their attempts at interpellating the audience (that's not all people)
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 6, 2019 10:04 AM

Dec 2016
Nettle_Tea said:

Plummeting stock in condom companies

It isn't fun if it isn't dangerous. Like, I don't even know why they include the option to pullout in H games, I have never used it.
Sep 8, 2019 4:39 PM

Dec 2016
Milennin said:

Now that's a great advice, thanks for letting me know that there is a final solution to this problem.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Sep 8, 2019 5:53 PM

Mar 2019
The better question is how do we protect future generations from having to see old fat guys doing provocative poses in American flag briefs?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2019 6:11 AM

Oct 2014
Media is violent because the real world is violent. One is a reflection of other. No point protecting anyone from anything because they will still get exposed to bad things. Human is not a mouse which you can keep in cage with just a wheel to spin, something to chew and to drink and eat.
Sep 14, 2019 6:26 AM

Oct 2010
So much fuss about protecting future generations from harmful media, maybe we should learn to protect them from harmful fan culture first.
Sep 14, 2019 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
Don't think it is necessary anymore. Parents pressuring and guarding kids would be even worse

Sep 14, 2019 6:50 AM

Jan 2009
so conservatives in the 1990s are right that violent games/media lead to violent crimes? i thought that was debunked by a lot of scientific studies already
Sep 14, 2019 6:53 AM
May 2019
Myth that violent video games cause violence has been debunked numerous times, I don't think that future generation needs protection from that.
Sep 14, 2019 8:15 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Addictive and predatory video games (gambling, unethical in-game shop, etc.) such as FIFA are a lot more harmful to your mental health than video games that simply have a lot of violence in them.
Sep 14, 2019 8:59 AM

Mar 2014
i think before we talk about protecting future generations we should first discuss about the current generations. it's a funny thing if you teach your kids to do no violence while you yourself still enjoying playing CoD, R6 or watching WWE in front of them. you have to protect your own generation first before trying to protect the future ones. you can start by not buying or playing or watching all those violent games/movies/shows but i wonder if you would do that.
Sep 14, 2019 9:23 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
You simply don't, to be fair. Why do you want to hide the world from its children?

Sep 14, 2019 11:54 PM
Jan 2017
bmoore07 said:
BlakexEkalb said:

I mean back in the day they had public executions, people even got involved in stoning people to death, and shit like the Colosseum. People would even get into duels every now and then, so fighting and murder was even more prevalent than today. At least a lot of the depiction of fighting and murder is through movies, tv, video games, etc and not through snuff.
Sep 15, 2019 8:20 AM

Dec 2015

Tbh the "violent" in novadays is less often than in past generations and I don't mean only in media but in the process of taking care of children.

Like past generations even if there was no technology and no internet, they had their owns books or stories which teachers or parents/grandparents were saying and like "don't go to the woods in the night cause it's scary" no they're saying "don't go to the woods in the night cause someone will shot you or eat half of you" , it always been in history cause idk why, it's better to teach someone to not to do something by scaring him.

In a really long past generations like in medieval and ancient time (remember that people were growing much more faster than us) they had violence everywhere , wars , battles , family-murders , murders , kidnapps , etc. what's the difference between novadays mass shooting and other stuff than in medieval/ancient? Cause now people can blame it on object not on someone , in medieval it was like "WE'RE IN WAR , there is no rules in war" , "It's all fault of this country cause they attacked us!".
but now if something happens you can blame it on object like video games , mass shooting happened people say "IT'S VIDEO GAMES" not because that the person who did that could have something wrong with mind etc. but because he played video games...

Violence always was and will be in our society it only changes the form, like our technology and everything in world, the only main different now is that now people can blame everything on object which doesn't make sense, because no one want to say the truth and say that something is wrong with that person , this group , this sub-culture or this idealogy etc.

Sep 15, 2019 10:05 PM

Oct 2018
Strap them to a rock under the basement re playing 80s sitcoms.there is no other option btw
Sep 16, 2019 11:12 PM

Aug 2014
expose them to it so they become more violent collapse acceleration is epic

penis lol
Sep 20, 2019 3:36 AM

Mar 2012
there is no such thing as violent media. when youve watched gore videos, you know what real violence is like. fotnite or call of duty, is bugs bunny cartoonish in comparison

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 7 hours ago

4 by rho34 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 10 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

3 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.