Forum Settings
Forums

What, in your mind, was the most controversial anime you ever watched?

New
Sep 1, 2019 8:52 PM

May 2017
I actually was going to say “Prison School” because of the famous bathroom scene, but I thought it was pretty funny and comical. (plus, I love the manga version.)

Anyway, what was the most “controversial” anime you watched?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 1, 2019 8:54 PM

Jan 2009
i can only think of rape on Sword Art Online and also Now and Then, Here and There has rape too if i remember right

inb4 incest and loli anime
Sep 1, 2019 9:03 PM

Apr 2017
Controversial in America? Every anime :|

Remember they actually changed the relationship dynamics between Uranus and Neptune from lovers to cousins for the American audience... shame on you America.

Probably Koi Kaze or Kodomo no Jikan for me.

Sep 1, 2019 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know if it is controversial but there are things I have watched that I cannot explain:

Tejina senpai. I mean the girl is cute but I don't really watch ecchi shows.

Arifureta. I mean it is bad but it is good? Not a fan but I'm having a good time.

I hate myself for ever watching junjou Romantica or sekaiichi hatsukoi. Not the kind of LGBT representation I want in anime.

Never added them to my list since I barely remember what they were about but :

Ero manga sensei
That other show that was like Ero manga sensei but with far worse animation
And that anime where the sister married her brother in the end.
Sep 1, 2019 9:12 PM
Dec 2018
Darling in the Franxx by far.

I don't think I had any other anime with 20k+ ppl in discord before and even now when a new episode did got released. x) It was just so much fun with every new episode after the episode 13 aired. And episode 14 kinda killed the discord at that time. xD

It was just pure gold. :D
Sep 1, 2019 9:15 PM

May 2013
Nee Chanto Shiyou yo for sure. I mean I like the step sister femdom rape hentai but that doesn't mean it isn't a controversial subject material.
_Nette_Sep 1, 2019 9:18 PM

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Sep 1, 2019 9:23 PM

Jun 2016
Gintama... well, at least to me it's controversial
Sep 1, 2019 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
I know of a lot of controversial anime but I haven't seen many of them. Probably Araburu Kisetsu. Sex is controversial in my country (go figure) and the teacher-student thing.
Sep 1, 2019 9:38 PM

May 2017
Edocchi said:
Gintama... well, at least to me it's controversial

haha. yeah I can see why.
I’m kind of shocked more people that I know haven’t watched it yet. I think my friends would love the humor.
Sep 1, 2019 9:39 PM

Apr 2008
I feel like this thread is just a countdown to someone admitting watching Boku no Pico.

I can't think of too many anime with real controversies - Kodomo no Jikan, School Days I guess, or Kokoro Connect (not for content though).

Most things people actually should be upset about they don't even know about. I went to a con recently with a massive poster for Euphoria (the game/hentai) in the dealer's hall like it was nothing.
Sep 1, 2019 9:40 PM

Jul 2015
Uhh passing over hentai, probably Midori Shoujo Tsubaki.
Sep 1, 2019 9:40 PM

May 2009
In terms of opinion intensity among those who have an opinion on it, probably Cross Ange or Yosuga no Sora.

(I have FranXX on my PTW.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 1, 2019 9:42 PM

May 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
In terms of opinion intensity among those who have an opinion on it, probably Cross Ange or Yosuga no Sora.

Thanks. Now I have some more new anime material to watch.
Though, I think Cross Ange might be more interesting than Yosuga no Sora.
Sep 1, 2019 9:43 PM
May 2016
AnimeAnima said:
Controversial in America? :|

Keijo- triggered ugly fat basement dwellers fujoshi feminists

Goblin slayer- triggered ugly fat basement dwellers fujoshi feminists

Shield hero- triggered ugly fat basement dwellers fujoshi feminists

Eh I starting to see a pattern
Sep 1, 2019 9:48 PM

May 2017
Nerdanimefan1992 said:
AnimeAnima said:

I’ve seen a lot of GS and Shield Hero, but I don’t remember Keijo being that controversial. I guess I just didn’t pay attention to what social media was saying.
Sep 1, 2019 9:52 PM

May 2009
albertbrown said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Thanks. Now I have some more new anime material to watch.
Though, I think Cross Ange might be more interesting than Yosuga no Sora.
Oh, you like picking out controversial stuff to watch too. :D

FWIW I think both Cross Ange and Yosuga no Sora are great stories, in their own ways.

Also, I forgot to mention Asterisk War.
Sep 1, 2019 9:55 PM

Jan 2009
Accel World is also controversial because of fat shaming the MC
Sep 1, 2019 9:57 PM

May 2017
beminim said:
I don't know if it is controversial but there are things I have watched that I cannot explain:

Arifureta. I mean it is bad but it is good? Not a fan but I'm having a good time.

I hate myself for ever watching junjou Romantica or sekaiichi hatsukoi. Not the kind of LGBT representation I want in anime.

Ero manga sensei

Are you talking about OreImo? What’s funny was that I was gearing up to watch the second season this week. I have to remember to put it on my calendar.
Sep 1, 2019 9:57 PM

Jul 2017
pretty much any isekai anime since a lot of people cant stand them.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Sep 1, 2019 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
albertbrown said:
beminim said:

Ero manga sensei

Are you talking about OreImo? What’s funny was that I was gearing up to watch the second season this week. I have to remember to put it on my calendar.
I think that is the name. The sister has orange hair and her brother has black hair. I think in English it was called my little sister can't be this cute.
Sep 1, 2019 10:01 PM

May 2009
albertbrown said:
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

I’ve seen a lot of GS and Shield Hero, but I don’t remember Keijo being that controversial. I guess I just didn’t pay attention to what social media was saying.
Like you I don't remember seeing much controversy over Keijo (if anything there was probably more over Kill La Kill though I was paying even less attention to the anime scene back then, and ironically, now people actually talk about both Keijo and KLK as possibly female-empower/feminist/etc.).

Besides, given how the post you quoted reads like bad stereotype bingo, I'm not sure how much I'd trust it.

heg said:
heg said:
I looked at the cover and I decided that I'd rather watch something that doesn't quite as blatantly portray the main characters as "ugly guy, beautiful girl". The blatantness annoys me.

I mean, if the anime girls can be good-looking even if they're very plain and boring-looking, then I expect the anime guys to be good-looking too, in a similar way.
Sep 1, 2019 10:02 PM

Jan 2009
@GlennMagusHarvey

lol dude looks can be deceiving i may have scored Sword Art Online and Accel World with the same score but i enjoyed Accel World more no joke
Sep 1, 2019 10:04 PM

Jul 2017
heg said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

lol dude looks can be deceiving i may have scored Sword Art Online and Accel World with the same score but i enjoyed Accel World more no joke

I mean they're not wrong though. That anime does point out multiple times how the male MC is short and fat and how the female MC is "the most beautiful girl in the school".
FakegooseSep 1, 2019 10:10 PM

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Sep 1, 2019 10:51 PM

Jan 2009
Fakegoose said:
heg said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

I mean they're not wrong though. That anime does point out multiple times how the male MC is short and fat and how the female MC is "the most beautiful girl in the school".

ye but you make it sound like its something that is annoying to watch though when there are many other psychological struggles the show have if i remember right

Beauty and the Beast is fine but Beauty and the Fat is bad even if the fat character is not that ugly to begin with like my profile picture

one thing is for sure though it is one of the controversial anime just because of the fat shaming like i said
Sep 1, 2019 11:08 PM

Jul 2015
I will say Goblin Slayer for now.There should be others but this comes in my mind.

Sep 1, 2019 11:21 PM

Aug 2018
Not sure if controversial, but https://myanimelist.net/anime/160/Ima_Soko_ni_Iru_Boku is probably the most fucked up show I've ever watched.
Sep 1, 2019 11:25 PM

May 2009
heg said:
Fakegoose said:

ye but you make it sound like its something that is annoying to watch though when there are many other psychological struggles the show have if i remember right

Beauty and the Beast is fine but Beauty and the Fat is bad even if the fat character is not that ugly to begin with like my profile picture

one thing is for sure though it is one of the controversial anime just because of the fat shaming like i said
Oh, I certainly do not mean the story is bad. It might very well be quite excellent. Just that there's this one aspect to the visual designs that irks me, even if maybe after I've seen it my opinion may change. And I'm under no obligation to watch anything so any preference is fair game.
Sep 1, 2019 11:29 PM
Aug 2017
not the anime but i have read berserk. and i honestly dont think anything can top that other than some weird hentai.
Sep 1, 2019 11:58 PM

Aug 2014
That would be kodomo no jikan. It's a shame that the story is quite different and better in the manga, but at least it isn't superficial, which is rare and welcomed.
Sep 1, 2019 11:59 PM

Feb 2017
I'm not quite sure but Euphoria was something that not everybody could last, if you're not used or if you don't like gore mixed with sex scenes. At least, Boku no Pico can be considered as a practical joke used to prank on anime newbies, but in this case, I have seen so many comments about Euphoria with surprise (if not shocked), uneasiness and/or with a very cringey taste...
We are EVERYWHERE...
Sep 2, 2019 12:06 AM

Oct 2018
Is has to be either School days which I liked or NGNL which I disliked.
Sep 2, 2019 12:25 AM

Oct 2010
Maybe Hellsing Ultimate because they made Alucard, the ruler of Wallachia, a blood thirsty vampire who plays for the protestants. Romanians hate being associated with vampires. I don't care though.
Sep 2, 2019 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
Umm.. I think darling in the franxx and Tate no Yuusha
Sep 2, 2019 12:59 AM

Jul 2019
I wouldn't even call it controversial but,
Carole & Tuesday - The Mermaid Sisters :^D

Sep 2, 2019 5:55 AM

Apr 2017
Nerdanimefan1992 said:
AnimeAnima said:

Yep, its mindboggling. Although I would have to say PC comes in all packages.

Sometimes it seems like people expect all things "foreign" to conform to their ideals in the US, and get really bent out of shape when things fly in the face of that.
Part of the reason I'm so vehemently opposed to dubbed anime, it destroys the artform by changing essential plot points.

I usually dont pay attention to arguments/conversations about specific anime but with shield hero it was all over Twitter and YouTube so I was brought into the convo unwillingly.
I still dont understand, and never will, the controversy over Shield Hero, besides it being a letdown towards the end.
Goblin slayer? That was an awesome show.
Keijo I have not seen yet. What's the controversy?

People have to remember these are works of fiction, fiction that only a very very small percentage of the population chooses to watch, even in Japan it's like 5-15% for the most popular shows, shows that people in the west for the most part gloss over(Sazae-San, Doraemon etc.).

To those that dont like the way other cultures view society, I suggest you stick to watching the local news.

Sep 2, 2019 6:14 AM

Jun 2019
The interesting thing is I hadn't watched many anime from 2018 at all a few months back since I don't watch any of the series when they're currently airing, so I was looking to watch a few more and found Goblin Slayer.

I had no idea until reading forum discussions after finishing the series that the first episode was so controversial. Apparently because it was "mislabeled" or mis-rated on Cruncyroll that it didn't give off the impression it would be more a Berserk-style dark fantasy than a PG/PG-13 style classic high fantasy with those grittier elements more sanitized or omitted? Still incredibly dumb. A controversy over nothing.

To everyone claiming it "uses rape as a plot device", then just about every anime and non-anime show and movie ever uses "murder as a plot device" or "assault as a plot device" or "theft as a plot device".
Sep 2, 2019 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Goblin Slayer, idk why the rape scene was so over exaggerated
Sep 2, 2019 6:23 AM

May 2012
I've watched many of the animes in this thread and had no idea about the controversies about them
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2019 6:23 AM

Jan 2017
AnimeAnima said:

Probably Koi Kaze

Yep, definitely. And Conception. It was insane xD
Sep 2, 2019 6:30 AM

Mar 2018
Probably ever single one because there's a group of retards who are so ill-informed anything could be seen as ''controversial'' to them so due to that it will sadly always pop up in the back of my mind

There was nothing controversial about the stories of Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero, they were just bad

Reminder GoT is the most popular tv show of all time and blows them away in terms of controversial... elements. I try to not look at it like that because anything can be put to good use in a story really
poop
Sep 2, 2019 7:07 AM

Feb 2010
Easily Shigatsu. The glorification of bullying as a solution to trauma, just because it's done by a cute girl was just about the worst take on the topic I ever saw, but anime fans still ate it up because they only look at the surface and there's good music and cute designs so it has to be good, amirite?
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 2, 2019 7:58 AM

Apr 2019
beminim said:
albertbrown said:

I think that is the name. The sister has orange hair and her brother has black hair. I think in English it was called my little sister can't be this cute.
Oreimo is a guilty pleasure for me too, but not so much because of the main couple Kyousuke/Kirino. For their story line, make sure to watch the extras which are both sort of alternative endings doing the full blood related incest monty, whereas the TV version has waters it down.

The real reason to watch Oreimo, however, is Kuroneko. This side character is arguably Kana Hanazawa's finest hour. A snippet from the specials of the 2nd season, one of the best scenes in RomCom anime ever. Spoiler warning.

Sep 2, 2019 8:21 AM

Nov 2016
Kiss x sis it's another one of the imoutos, I think it's much better than the other ones though especially of how wild it would get borderlying parody at some points which made it even more controversial.

And if we had to include hentais I guess euphoria as well, I think there is way worst hentais out there but I guess this one was kind of a first for many
JoyBoy_316Sep 2, 2019 8:28 AM
Sep 2, 2019 8:37 AM

Apr 2016
There is no such thing as a "controversial anime".

except Boku no Pico
Sep 2, 2019 8:39 AM
Nov 2017
AnimaExZero said:
I'm not quite sure but Euphoria was something that not everybody could last, if you're not used or if you don't like gore mixed with sex scenes. At least, Boku no Pico can be considered as a practical joke used to prank on anime newbies, but in this case, I have seen so many comments about Euphoria with surprise (if not shocked), uneasiness and/or with a very cringey taste...

It's not really gore, it's just...disgusting.
Sep 2, 2019 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
The 2 Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors movies.
Justifying occupation, death squads, concentration camps and WW2 atrocities leading to millions of deaths by making a children's cartoon with animal characters
Sep 2, 2019 9:37 AM

Sep 2018
Texchnolyze or Berserk, but only if da Hentai is not allowed.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso or Oreimo, but both are more comedy than anything else so its that controversial imo.
Sep 2, 2019 9:41 AM

Dec 2016
does boku no pico count as controversial?

otherwise, goblin slayer - not that the content was particularly that controversial, but because there were lots of angry threads about it.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 2, 2019 9:44 AM

May 2019
13 reasons why lol jk
Watamote was pretty controversial seeing as some people just thought it was depressing, I, for one, think it is a comedic masterpiece. Well, I guess that is because I could relate to it to an incredible degree.
Citrus is pretty... morally questionable, too. I really thought it was f ed up. I’m sure many others feel the same.
Sep 2, 2019 4:28 PM

Oct 2008
In this order (I would love to see more)

Koi Kaze
Top secret the Revelation
Mouryou no Hako
Aoi bungaku
Shigurui
Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Pupa
Cross Ange

Everything else is tame and childish in comparison. (some topics and themes if adapted better could have made this list)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you would like to play as a game

nishant0 - Yesterday

16 by ISwearIDidntDoIt »»
6 seconds ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

136 by alshu »»
13 seconds ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 2 hours ago

9 by Zettaiken »»
21 seconds ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

95 by rsc-pl »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 9 hours ago

37 by Zarutaku »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.