Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 1, 1:20 PM

I know that you guys are out there but there is no proper topic for it.

So do you like Synthwave? Do you even know what Synthwave is? What are your favorite artists? Your favorite albums? Have you already gone to a concert?

There are still a lot of artists out there that I didn't listen to. My favorite artists so far are Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, Dan Terminus and Gost. My favorite albums in no special order (though Perturbator is my favorite artist of them all) are:

Perturbator - I Am The Night
- Dangerous Days
- Uncanny Valley
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
- Leather Teeth
Dan Terminus - The Wrath of Code
Gost - Possessor
Dance of the Dead - The Shape

I already saw all of these except for Dance of the Dead live. I also saw Kavinsky on concert though his songs are huge hit and miss for me.

If you don't know what Synthwave is about, it's practically electronic music inspired by 80's film and video games soundtracks and is in its sound and imagery nostalgic towards 80's culture. You can also often see retrofuturistic, cyberpunk and horror imagery.

Some examples of Synthwave music:

Sep 1, 9:15 PM

Synthwave is a couple of subgenres within it. Im a fan. Although I gravitate more towards darksynth and slasherwave.

Sep 2, 9:51 AM

MoonlitMadness said:
Synthwave is a couple of subgenres within it. Im a fan. Although I gravitate more towards darksynth and slasherwave.

Same for me with Darksynth. Never heard of Slasherwave before though. What's the difference to Darksynth (apart from the obvious 80's slasher horror imagery)? Do you have an example?

Sep 2, 2:33 PM
I listen to a band that I think has synthwave elements, it's called Diorama... Correct me if I'm wrong

Sep 2, 3:10 PM

SomeoneFromHeLL said:
I listen to a band that I think has synthwave elements, it's called Diorama... Correct me if I'm wrong

Diorama is what you'd call Synthpop. The only thing they have in common is that they both feature heavy use of Synth, but it's not the same music. Like it too though.

Sep 2, 6:05 PM

goathead said:
MoonlitMadness said:

Same for me with Darksynth. Never heard of Slasherwave before though. What's the difference to Darksynth (apart from the obvious 80's slasher horror imagery)? Do you have an example?

You just described it. Its something called horror synth. Groups like early Gost is a perfect example. Raygar is another as well as Nightcrawler or Cybercorpse.

Sep 4, 2:27 AM

MoonlitMadness said:
goathead said:

You just described it. Its something called horror synth. Groups like early Gost is a perfect example. Raygar is another as well as Nightcrawler or Cybercorpse.

Early Gost you say? For the moment I only listened to his newer stuff. I'll give the bands you mentioned a listen, thanks.

I'm a bit disappointed. I thought the response to this thread would be a bit bigger.

Sep 4, 12:34 PM

I used to listen to alot of the Neo-80's synthwave stuff, I haven't really kept up with it in the last couple years, I might get back into it if I pick up another driving game or get the Firebird running again, no music is better for a good night drive!

I really liked Droid Bishop, not overly bombastic and his stuff almost all has that that nice smooth Jan Hammer vibe.

GM didn't realize that their car commercials would make perfect visuals for music 30 years later!
Modified by DiscoDespot, Sep 4, 12:40 PM

Sep 5, 11:16 AM

@DiscoDespot

I just put the music of Droid Bishop together with the commercial and it's phenomenal! :D Really like the music.

Lol about that you didn't keep up the last years, I only discovered Synthwave in summer '18. Guess I was late to the party. I was driving to this festival and I like to listen to the bands that play before going and Carpenter Brut was playing and on the road I was like "Well, let's give this a listen" and I didn't know at that point that there was an entire music genre, I thought Brut was something special. And when I got home I found out.

Sep 11, 11:32 PM

Yeah I'm into it though there is a lot of mediocre artists for it. My tastes in artists seem to be similar to yours.

A few I came across today

Sep 11, 11:59 PM

YESSSS synthwave and retrowave are new favorite genres :D

these songs are good but get really good at the end!

Sep 13, 1:26 AM

@traed @Shishio-kun

I like the songs you shared! Just not a big fan of Gunship though, sorry traed :(

I also still have some songs to share:

Sep 13, 5:51 AM

@goathead
I'm not big on Gunship either but the song grew on me plus nice video for it heh I like the ones you posted

Did you know there is another genre also called Synth Wave? It's more commonly called Minimal Wave though. Some of the modern stuff sounds borderline Synthwave.

Sep 13, 6:27 AM

traed said:
@goathead
I'm not big on Gunship either but the song grew on me plus nice video for it heh I like the ones you posted

Did you know there is another genre also called Synth Wave? It's more commonly called Minimal Wave though. Some of the modern stuff sounds borderline Synthwave.

Well this I'd classify as Synthpop/Darkwave though. It's the kind of music you'd dance to in a Gothic night club. I like it a lot though too!

Sep 13, 1:47 PM

yay more samples! :D

I'll pretty much sample anything in the retrowave, synthwave, gothwave, etcwave genres as I'm looking for good new tracks that aren't dubstep or nightcore.

try these, a couple more favorites of mine

one of the coolest things about these genres are the cool Youtube cyberpunk pics and thumbnails :D

Sep 13, 5:22 PM

goathead said:
Well this I'd classify as Synthpop/Darkwave though. It's the kind of music you'd dance to in a Gothic night club. I like it a lot though too!
Yup Minimal Wave is a type Synthpop and Coldwave and synth heavy Post-Punk since kind of a broad genre. Coldwave is more dissonant than Darkwave which is one of the weirdest genre identifiers lol

Found a song that sounds sorta IDM like with the Synthwave sound.

Modified by traed, Sep 13, 5:26 PM

Sep 14, 5:04 PM

Sep 17, 12:25 PM

We can't have a thread about Sythwave without a Riding Bean AMV. 80's anime seems to appear pretty prominently in Sythnthwave, but thats no surprise consideringthe frequent cyberpunk/futuristic themes.

Sep 19, 7:44 PM

i hate synthwave. i love 80s music and i hate that people have to layer shit in postmodern irony instead of appreciating things for what they are

Sep 20, 10:36 AM

ThePantsuGuru said:
i hate synthwave. i love 80s music and i hate that people have to layer shit in postmodern irony instead of appreciating things for what they are

Irony. I hate this shit so much, it pollutes so many online communities because everybody hides behind their little irony shields so they can deflect criticism of their taste. You see alot of this crap in the anime community too.

It might not be the same with some fans, but I can happily say there are 0 shades of irony in my liking Synthwave. That being said, Italio Disco from the 80's is my favorite genre of music:

Sep 20, 11:40 AM
I haven't listen to many synthwave songs but i like this one

Sep 20, 3:38 PM

I like synthpop more, since I'm more used to it, though it's single songs like Camouflage - "Love is a Shield" + The great Commandment + New Order - "True Faith" + Kraftwerk - "Das Model" etc.

This album is really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8gBfEDoEbY

"Back to the 80's Best of"

@traed: I didn't know that spelling it with a space makes a difference, lol
The first song in #13 sounds quite good. In genral, there seems to be some beauty in the ugliness. Even if I find the architecture and the future scenarios horrible, the music make it somewhat appear epic

@Shishio-kun: first song in #11 reminds me a bit of Xurious - "The Trump Betrayal". The song in #17 reminds me of "Dying Society".

I like "Memories of Tomorrow" and "Winter chan" the best
Rivers of Blood sounds kinda epic, too

Sep 20, 4:39 PM

@Noboru thanks for the recommendations :D

FoxyGamer said:
I haven't listen to many synthwave songs but i like this one

YO THAT ALBUM COVER!!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Sombra: "You have good taste!" :D

Modified by Shishio-kun, Sep 20, 4:52 PM

Sep 20, 5:36 PM

Why I didn't see this thread b4 oof

@goathead it seems like we both like the same artists lol. I'm more of a fan of darksynth, synthpop and dark ambient tho
New Model is my favorite album by Perturbator. Probably my favorite album ever. And Carpenter Brut makes great music, the new album is dope
I would recommend Trevor Something, you might have heard of him already but if not:

And here some songs I like:

Yesterday, 5:32 AM

@Shishio-kun: You're welcome and I also thank you for the recommendations! :)

Volkor X - Enclave is a really EPIC track ^^

Yesterday, 10:29 PM

DiscoDespot said:
ThePantsuGuru said:

Irony. I hate this shit so much, it pollutes so many online communities because everybody hides behind their little irony shields so they can deflect criticism of their taste. You see alot of this crap in the anime community too.

It might not be the same with some fans, but I can happily say there are 0 shades of irony in my liking Synthwave. That being said, Italio Disco from the 80's is my favorite genre of music:

based. italo disco is great, hi-nrg, ebm etc is all great stuff.