Forum Settings
Forums
New
do you want to be a website moderator?
Aug 29, 2019 12:13 AM

Jan 2009
i just notice the current list of moderators are down by 2 spots so 2 of the forum moderators already quit the thankless and harsh job of being a moderator since you know being a moderator means being expose daily to a lot of toxicity in the forums anyway and because of that i personally do not want to be a moderator being a mentally unhealthy already too

so how about you does the benefits of being a moderator outweighs being expose to toxicity more? so would you like to be a moderator and whats your personal reason if there is any?
Aug 29, 2019 12:20 AM

Jul 2016
I feel like it could be a fun job, but only if I you're being paid for it. Helping moderate a website this big (even just a small percentage of it) isn't worth doing as a volunteer (and for a minimum of 2 years as well).
Aug 29, 2019 12:29 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, so I can ban anyone who disagree's with me.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Aug 29, 2019 12:30 AM

Sep 2018
I am a global mod on another site which would let me wipe the whole board on a games site if I wanted.

There are no benefits to it apart from satisfaction when you have helped someone, it's just something to do while you are online and check in once an hour or so.
Aug 29, 2019 12:35 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
No, I was "moderating" a popular website back in school, had enough of that job.
Aug 29, 2019 12:39 AM

Jan 2009
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
I feel like it could be a fun job, but only if I you're being paid for it. Helping moderate a website this big (even just a small percentage of it) isn't worth doing as a volunteer (and for a minimum of 2 years as well).

you are Rowan_F right? i see you are cool headed here in the forums and you got good english skills too so i would not be surprise if they offer you a forum moderator job here on MAL but too bad i heard its just volunteer job here on MAL
Aug 29, 2019 12:49 AM

Jul 2016
heg said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

you are Rowan_F right? i see you are cool headed here in the forums and you got good english skills too so i would not be surprise if they offer you a forum moderator job here on MAL but too bad i heard its just volunteer job here on MAL

Oh thanks man. Yeah, it's me, I just changed my username yesterday. Honestly, I think I'm way too much of a sarcastic cunt to get offered a modding job.
Aug 29, 2019 1:29 AM

Aug 2012
I mean, I could spare the time to moderate a site or two every day. Wouldn't say I enjoy it, but if it's a good site, why not make it better for others.
Aug 29, 2019 1:43 AM

Mar 2019
Nope, and I want not anyone else to be one either — online anarchy mai waifu.

Indeed — 'tis a thankless job with no benefit which is why for the most part it attracts the man who lusts for power since that is the only compensation; moderator teams consequently are staffed by those that consider power its own reward.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 29, 2019 4:26 AM

Aug 2017
I was a moderator on another site so I don't have issues with it.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 29, 2019 6:48 AM

Oct 2018
Actually, down by three, NoLiferSoul and sarroush retired earlier this year and Tenma retired a couple days ago.
To answer the question, yeah, I think I'd like to be a moderator, it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. I know its a thankless job, but one that has to be done to ensure civility.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Aug 29, 2019 8:39 AM

Apr 2016
If i get paid i would probably accept the moderator job. Otherwise that's a no from me. You have to deal with a lot of pressure everyday and i'm not interested on that.
Aug 29, 2019 8:49 AM

Mar 2014
Imagine censoring people on the internet for free. What kinda cuck are you?
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Aug 29, 2019 9:38 AM

Sep 2012
And do it for free? no thanks.
>spending hours of your day ruining people’s fun
>for free

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Aug 29, 2019 9:42 AM

Jul 2015
imagine taking up a shitty thankless job without getting paid and quite possibly ruining every single positive experience you have with the site in the process.

I would do it, but they'd definitely have to pay me :v
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 29, 2019 11:20 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Nah, only a true masochist would ever want to do that
Aug 29, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2008
I've been a mod of a small site. Didn't have to do much though just deleted spam. I would consider mod MAL eventually if I still had the time by then and I'm alive. Just need a new computer and better time for me.
Aug 29, 2019 8:45 PM

Feb 2017
oh oh yes. Full authority abuse baby!

Aug 29, 2019 10:32 PM
Feb 2014
Been there and done that. It's a chore you honestly don't want to have.
Aug 29, 2019 10:59 PM

Jul 2016
There area lot of white Nationalist/Nazi types on this website. We just had a thread that was full of holocaust denial.

I would prefer that they left this website. Becoming a moderator might give me the authority to kick these people off. It probably would't because there are guidelines.

For now me and my comrades will just keep debating them.

Aug 29, 2019 11:07 PM

Jul 2013
Only if I get paid.

I'm truly worth it.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Aug 30, 2019 3:43 AM

Dec 2016
database mod maybe, if i had the time. forum moderation seems too thankless, and pisses off too many people, for me to want to get involved. i mean, if you're getting paid, it may not be so bad, but there's no moderation jobs that don't require volunteering your time for nothing.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 30, 2019 5:02 AM

Jan 2018
Nah, it's a chore for me and a hard one at that too. I think I wouldn't be as active if I am to moderate any site.
Aug 30, 2019 5:12 AM
Aug 2016
I would like to be a moderator, but only as a hobby, so not to be half of my day here, and to be able to do other irl things aswell.
It's more fun to be an admin in some clubs because there you don't need to spend half of your free time, doing admin stuff, and you can do what you have to do as a staff member only when you have time or feel like it.
Aug 31, 2019 6:41 AM

Aug 2009
Been there. Done that.

I'm not up for round two.

Aug 31, 2019 6:46 AM

Mar 2018
Barnald said:

This would make me an overqualified person for the job lol

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 31, 2019 9:20 PM

Oct 2016
No, it seems like a massive waste of time to me
Aug 31, 2019 9:24 PM

Jan 2009
Barnald said:

i lol even though i hate some moderation you moderators do (emotionally that is) i know logically/rationally that your moderator job is very important

and btw MAL needs more automation rather than more manual moderation especially on the database side
Aug 31, 2019 9:54 PM

Oct 2015
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I feel like I'm too soft though, I might not be able to bring justice, especially to those who I know :p
Sep 1, 2019 3:13 AM

Jan 2017
yeah, if you pay me $15 an hour we good
Sep 1, 2019 2:10 PM

May 2017
Of course... Imagine how many grills you can get as an anime website moderator.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Sep 1, 2019 2:16 PM

Sep 2014
Nah, I don't think so.

I used to be one on a much smaller forum of a MMO game I played few years ago. I couldn't bother doing this stuff after a while and quit.
Sep 2, 2019 10:33 PM

Feb 2015
mhhh I do remember I applied for the forum mod last year, but KinetaBOT didn't send a decline msg to me, so ummm I guess I should try this time again...
Sep 2, 2019 10:48 PM

Apr 2008
As much as I got some small amount of satisfaction endlessly denying Noblesse submissions to MAL it is ultimately way less enjoyable than literally anything else you could probably do, unless you have a personality disorder
Sep 2, 2019 11:01 PM

Sep 2012
I have been one before, and it is a massive waste of time.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 3, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
I'd be fired as as quickly as I would be hired
Sep 3, 2019 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
I don't agree with MAL's rules, and this is the only forum I'm active on. So, no, I wouldn't.
Sep 3, 2019 11:00 AM

Jan 2009
Peaceful_Critic said:
I don't agree with MAL's rules

#MeToo especially rule 7 although sometimes im fine with that rule and just let all those controversial threads on CE alone

the rules here are implemented with selective enforcement anyway just like in real life with the police so you got to try to make a controversial thread and see if the moderators let it live (like for at least 1-2 pages) or locked immediately
Sep 3, 2019 11:25 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I'd consider it if I were a few years older, more mature and hopefully more stable in life. But it would be too considerable an investment as of now, for me.

Sep 5, 2019 6:10 AM
Aug 2019
No thank you, I’m more than plenty happy just staying a normal forum posting MAL member ^_^
Sep 6, 2019 10:02 AM

Sep 2018
i don't know, the moderators of this site seem to just go around locking completely random posts when they get bored

to me it seems like 1/8 of the threads they lock actually should be locked

so no, i don't want to be one of those people who seem to believe their judgement is superior to others

But actually, I heard a story on NPR about the horrible working conditions the moderators of sites like Facebook have, and they actually seem to have a terrible job, with a terrible workplace, full of chaos, very mentally unhealthy people, death threats, people fucking and doing drugs in the office.....something about how, those people who have, yknow, SERIOUS moderator jobs, actually have really bad mental health (or their mental health is effected negatively by being a mod)
Si-RanSep 6, 2019 10:09 AM
Sep 6, 2019 10:05 AM

Sep 2018
traed said:
I've been a mod of a small site. Didn't have to do much though just deleted spam. I would consider mod MAL eventually if I still had the time by then and I'm alive. Just need a new computer and better time for me.

oh god please no, mal does not need someone like you as a mod
Sep 6, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2018
Having power would be fun, responsibility not so much.
Final verdict: No
<Insert clever quote>
Sep 6, 2019 3:20 PM

Mar 2008
Si-Ran said:
traed said:

oh god please no, mal does not need someone like you as a mod

I don't have strong opinions on you and we very rarely even cross paths in same threads and communicate in any way and we have never had a personal conversation to my recall.
Sep 7, 2019 2:56 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
For a Forum moderator I'd do it just to help out if I had time, but I'm a little too busy.;;
Also, I feel like I'd do a lot of second guessing that would just end up wasting time.
Sometimes I see posts deleted that didn't really break any rules as far as I know.;; So I feel like I'd accidentally let a lot slide just because I didn't see any problems with something. Also the controversial rule? I'd probably never really know when to enforce that. Perhaps it's something you learn to work with over time?

I might be able to pull off things that are a little more matter-of-fact, like a database moderator. I feel like being a database moderator would be more beneficial to me as well. At that point, I'd be able to come to know many titles and check them out on my own time. On that note, I think, if my Japanese skills were better, I'd maybe like to be a News Moderator. I like being able to translate and bring news to people. I'm sure it'd be good practice as well! Social Media mod might be interesting too, but I don't really know what people like on Social Media.;;

With all that being said, I just don't have the time right now, so my answer: No. I don't want to be a moderator right now at least.
Still, I do like MAL a lot and do what I can to contribute something. I think this is the site I frequent the most, so I try to treat it like a home. I should try to do more though.;;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 7, 2019 3:02 AM

Aug 2018
I've been a forum mod of several website before in the past for about 8 years or so combined. It's a fun thing to do in your spare time for sure. But that's about it.
Timz0rSep 7, 2019 10:32 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 7, 2019 7:34 AM

Jan 2016
Well, I already moderate my own website if that counts.
Sep 7, 2019 3:31 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
No, I've done it for a good five to ten sites and every time it was just a bunch of thankless work that took up time I could have used much more productively not to mention put me at risk of getting on peoples' bad sides (occasionally motivating people to try and screw me over later down the line out of revenge) if they didn't deem my help with the situation sufficient enough. Only time I'd accept a moderator position for a site now is if I didn't have to do any work (which is another issue, usually I'd ended up being the one doing all the work while the other people sat on their asses doing nothing, only a couple places was it not like that).
Sep 8, 2019 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
Fuck no, unless you paid me enough that I could quit my job.

More topics from this board

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 2 hours ago

6 by JKKH »»
31 seconds ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

39 by -Frost- »»
5 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

26 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

17 by traed »»
17 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

31 by traed »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.