Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 29, 2019 3:17 PM

Why movies? Why series? Why so serious Why did i left the last question without the question mark? Such answers can't be answered by normal means.

Aug 29, 2019 3:38 PM

OK, I've tried and tried american television. I just can't get into it. The first few episodes of something may be super good, but everything after that is slow and predictable. The tropes are not to my taste as well. If you know of any good american shows, PLEASE tell me!

Korean Dramas are amazing, and if I ever eventually burn out on anime, they're the next go to. The romance is the best I've seen and everything else is pretty suspenseful. Literally every drama I've tried, has been entertainng in some manner.

Chinese Dramas. I just wish they weren't 50 episodes long. They need better cgi as well...

Japanese Dramas. Haven't watched very much, but while some are cringy, others are pretty entertaining.

Whatever else. I'll get to it eventually.

American animtion. Too childish for me, however, shows like We bare bears, Gumball, Regular show, Rick and Morty, Family Guy, *insert a couple newer cartoons*, have a charm to them and are good.

NOW ANIME. Tropes and Genres ✓✓✓, Characters ✓✓, convienence(short episodes and length) ✓✓✓✓, Story telling ✓✓✓, animation ✓✓✓✓.

I've loved animation, television, and stories ever since I was a kid. At one point, I'd do nothing but watch tv. Literally, I stayed in bed all day watching the kids channels, and whatever the fuck else. When I discovered anime, it was unlike anything I've ever seen. It was a cartoon with a continous story! I feel like Death Note was my first non-episodic show. If left me in awe. I quickly discovered that there were more like this and it was called 'anime'.
Soon, I was watching anything and everything.

Now, why anime and not something else? Because I've grown to have a preference towards anime. There are stories you can't tell with live action alone. There's a reason why every live adaptation turns to shit or can't compete with the animated version. It's more vast than american shows, not movies, american shows. They all feel the same, but I feel like I can find anything with anime. Girls battling with their asses, a can turning into a girl, whatever the heck lelouch did, etc etc etc
If you can name me something equivalent to Steins;Gate, Code Geass, Kaiji, Major, etc, then please do so(no really plzzz)

TL;DR
I prefer anime because 1) I've grown up with it. 2) I've come to prefer it 3) the story telling is like nothing else 4) I've liked animation/etc since I was a kid and anime was like a treasure trove.

I'm not good at explaining things, so I hope I got my point across :'' ).
Modified by Ehta, Aug 29, 2019 3:41 PM

Aug 30, 2019 2:41 AM
First, I should begin by stating that I don't ignore other media forms. I still watch movies and TV shows.

Despite that, I tend to prefer anime. I've been into it for a long time and there are things found in anime that I don't usually find in regular TV shows or movies. When I watch anime, the fights usually have this intensity to it, especially if it's an anime like Dragon Ball, Fairy Tail, or My Hero Academia. If I were to watch an Avengers movie, it wouldn't feel the same. I still like Avengers but I don't get the same intensity from watching them fight.

Also, anime has some pretty interesting ideas, variations of ideas, and compelling stories. Because of this, it's easy to get into. Other reasons include the art style and some tropes that just I love.

Aug 30, 2019 3:09 AM

1. animation is more colorful and has variety of aesthetics.

2. i like how things are "animated".

3. since they cost less, there are a lot of shows in supernatural\ fantasy genre.

4. there are a lot of good stories, i always had a hard time finding a good movie or tv series, but i can easily find 10 good anime per year just from the currently airing ones. i was lucky if i found 3 good movies in a year.

5. the story is complete 98% of times. if the anime is an adaptation and incomplete, i can simply read the source material; and if the anime is original, it'll most likely finish it's story and won't be cancelled like most tv series.

6. anime is only 20 min per episode, so even if it's not that good i don't feel like i have wasted my time.

Aug 31, 2019 5:51 AM
Story,art,character,songs from the series/movie why i choose anime over other stuff being shown at tv plus i can relate to the anime character from time to time and the story has lesson,also its interesting

Aug 31, 2019 6:00 AM
fanservice<3

because literally everything about anime is better and more attractive

Aug 31, 2019 6:45 AM

I've probably seen 2,250 - 2,500 films (not including any anime stuff, obviously) and well over 150 older and newer TV series all the way through to completion.

Put as simply as possible, I ran out of interesting stuff to watch.

I don't like 99% of newer content, whether TV shows or Hollywood and mainstream Western cinema. There isn't a single show I'm watching that's still airing first run on TV, for instance.

Aug 31, 2019 6:59 AM

I've been thinking about the question in this thread since I saw it the other day & I still don't really have an answer. I used to watch a lot of US animated shows like South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, but after a while I got bored of them, although I still like to catch a new episode every now and then. I do watch 'normal' live tv shows, documentaries (space, ancient aliens), history based docu-drama's, period drama shows (Downton Abbey, Peaky Blinders, Rome) and sometimes entertainment action/drama shows (Game of Thrones, Marvels Agent of Shield, Mad Men etc), but by far the biggest form of vt entertainment I consume is anime, by a wide margin.

I suppose I like animated tv shows because, to put it simply, I like the animated style. I like the wide variety of genres and styles anime has to offer me as a viewer. Anime as a form of tv encompasses a huge swath of genres, and allows for very different versions of peoples artistic talent to be displayed for an audience to watch.

Aug 31, 2019 12:03 PM

As a general rule

anime finishes

western shows end

it's hard to be invested in a series where a conclusion is uncertain while cancellation is highly likely

Aug 31, 2019 12:12 PM

people typically consume art to escape from the real world. Anime being animated feels like a whole new world and them speaking japanese, which is a language we are not familiar with also complements the feeling.

Aug 31, 2019 1:20 PM

Because I prefer cartoons over live action, but western cartoons look like crap that was drawn by toddlers (99% of them do anyway), while anime actually looks nice with cool guy characters and cute girl characters. Because anime addresses themes that western shows wouldn't dare touch with a 10 ft pole because the west is so stupidly sensitive about everything nowadays. Because it tells stories spanning many episodes and has characters develop and grow, unlike western cartoons where most shows are episodic and things don't change much, or ever at all. Because anime has something for every demographic and has shows covering just about every genre imaginable, while western cartoons stick to mostly comedy aimed at kids. Because anime doesn't care about politics and does whatever it wants for the most part, while western media is invested by SJW clown world cancer BS that sucks it dry of whatever entertainment value it might have had, or used to have in the past in the case of old franchises getting recycled.

Aug 31, 2019 2:47 PM

Because I like cartoons and I like animation. As for manga I just like comics. It's that simple.

FuriousNutSlaps said:
Obviously, the thread is based on the assumption that you only watch anime and ignore other forms of media.

I don't. Tbh Ready or not was a lot more entertaining watch for me than any popular seasonals in a long time. The last unicorn book I finished not that long time ago had me way more excited too.

Aug 31, 2019 6:25 PM

I prefer animation over live action for the most part. Still, I prefer Western animation due to the sheer creativity in art styles and fluid animation. Japanese animation still has an edge with a better variety in genres, demographics and sometimes more ambitious stories.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]