Forum Settings
Forums

Interview: Studio Trigger Discusses 'Promare' Before North American Premiere

New
Aug 27, 2019 9:30 AM
Jul 2018

MyAnimeList had the opportunity to sit down with Promare Director Hiroyuki Imaishi (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill), Producer, Creative Director Hiromi Wakabayashi, and designers Shigeto Koyama and Takashi "Super Log" Shibuya at Anime Expo 2019 to talk about the sci-fi film.

Promare was released in Japanese theaters in May 2019 and premiered in North America at Anime Expo on July 5. The film will be screened in North American theaters by GKIDS, in both subtitled and dubbed English. The general release will begin on September 20, following premiere events held on September 17 (dub) and 19 (sub).

Congratulations on the release of Trigger's first feature-length film. You first announced Promare here at Anime Expo in 2017. How do you feel being able to show the final work in front of the same audience two years later?

Wakabayashi: Normally, it would have been announced about six months in advance. I thought it was too early to make the announcement in 2017, but the film's release overseas would inevitably be delayed, so I wanted to announce it earlier than in Japan. I feel the same way now, and I'm glad I was able to reveal the final work at AX.

Are there differences in the process of writing a film (script & storyboard) like Promare versus works like Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, which were meant for television?

Imaishi: In television, we think about the organization of a story in 30-minute segments, so Promare is completely different in this area.

Given that the work's setting is so complicated, were there any difficulties in deciding how to organize the explanations within the two hours?

Imaishi: Well, if I crammed too much information in the beginning, it wouldn't have been conveyed well. That's why I devised the story to be conveyed throughout the film.

In interviews with Japanese media, screenwriter Kazuki Nakashima said that Promare originated from the idea of creating a juvenile film with Lio as the main character. At what point did the plan change to become the film we see today with Galo as the main character?

Wakabayashi: When Nakashima-san wrote the script, we examined it to see if it could be realized visually. We concluded that it would be difficult.

For this project, we wanted to put aside the things we were good at and instead aim for a new genre we had never done before. I reviewed it again to see whether this was what the fans would have wanted. I thought that the viewers wanted us to deliver something they expected, so we decided it would be better to make our own modifications, in a good way. Then, the four of us (Wakabayashi, Imaishi, Koyama, Nakashima) once again discussed ideas and designs and decided on the current content.

At the same time, in thinking that we wanted to deliver a work of our own to fans, we put our signature strengths into this movie production in a way that's different from television anime. It's an intentional way for us to reintroduce ourselves to viewers.

The world depicted in Promare appears to provide commentary on societal issues we see today, such as prejudice against minority groups like the Burnish. It also addresses complex topics, such as choosing between preventing versus limiting the effects of a natural disaster. What is the message you hope audiences will take away from the film?

Imaishi: Rather than wanting to convey a message or creating a story for the current times, the idea was to create a film that reflects the present condition. Instead of trying to deliver a specific message, we made the film with the ultimate goal of viewers being able to have fun. This way, viewers can bring their own takeaways from the film.

Cel-shaded 3DCG animation has made great advances in Promare, especially with the flames being animated in 3D instead of the traditional 2D drawings. Was this change difficult?

Imaishi: I thought a lot about how to merge 3D and 2D animation. Especially with the visualization of the flames, I think we spent a lot of time preparing for the actual work of using 3DCG drawings. The substance follows a geometric pattern but it flickers, with movement and an appearance similar to real flames. However, as revealed in the second half of the film, the reason the substance is made this way is that it is different from actual flames. In any case, I spent some time thinking about this component.

The blistering pace of the action might make it difficult for viewers to appreciate the work put into creating a seamless appearance between 3D and 2D animation. Was this a concern during the storyboarding process?

Imaishi: When drawing the storyboard, I did so by making decisions such as "This scene is 2D" or "This is 3D." If there was a scene that was impossible to draw in 3D for one reason or another, it was redrawn accordingly. This is something I pay very close attention to.

You modernized firefighters from the Edo period by adding machines and robots as firefighting tools. How did you choose design elements to create a fusion of traditional and modern technology?

Wakabayashi: When talking about extinguishing fire, there are parallels to the process of digestion. The characteristic trait of this work is one of an action anime which specializes in animating striking and suppressing fire. Weapons (called "Rescue Gear") are mounted so that the firefighters can use them to attack the fire.

Imaishi: In fact, the setting of the work is such that the function of Rescue Gear can be extended for military use. For example, the ability to break rubble can also be used as a weapon.

For the soundtrack of the film, Hiroyuki Sawano was brought back after having composed for Kill la Kill. How does the musical landscape and selection differ/evolve between Kill la Kill and Promare?

Wakabayashi: One concept was to be completely unreserved with the sound effects. Normally, we would follow the thought process of "Let's lower the music here to make this dialogue stand out," but this time we made it so that all the elements of music, sound effects, and dialogue are at full strength. During the process of adding music, only one scene used sound modestly. Everywhere else, it was pushed forward because we wanted the audience to feel the sound.

Imaishi: As a director, I wanted to experiment with how I could make the experience as immersive as possible. We tried to realize this by making full use of both the visual and aural information. I'm aiming for the limit of how much can be processed by the brain. In this way, rather than watching with our head, we get closer to a movie that can be experienced with the body.

Wakabayashi: That might also be the reason why Japanese fans have embraced it and watch it repeatedly.

Could you tell us where you are more conservative with the sound?

Wakabayashi: With the scene in the cave. In that scene, Director Imaishi said, "I think it's better to lower the sound as much as possible," so only that scene had the sound lowered. The sound still continues seamlessly. The sound production staff did their best.

Interview was conducted in Japanese by Yuko Yamamoto and Yumiko Higuchi from the MyAnimeList team. It has been translated into English and edited for clarity.
NaruleachSep 19, 2019 9:50 PM
Aug 27, 2019 9:45 AM
Aug 2019
This looks really cool, the colours, graphics and animation style simply jump out of the screen at you! I love it! ^_^
Aug 27, 2019 12:34 PM

Jan 2009
lots of little spoiler infos there and i love it especially about the Burnish fire is actually different than actual fire and the usual political topics like racism and when it comes to disasters is total prevention better than cure versus limiting the effects is better

btw the english dub trailer is out now

Aug 27, 2019 12:40 PM

Oct 2018
heg said:

Tattun said last night that this is a good dub and I believe him after seeing that.
Aug 27, 2019 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
zagzee said:
heg said:

Tattun said last night that this is a good dub and I believe him after seeing that.

yep i agree, i remember reading that Trigger are the ones that hand pick the english voice dubbers for this movie
Aug 27, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2018
heg said:

yep i agree, i remember reading that Trigger are the ones that hand pick the english voice dubbers for this movie

It's actually the first time they've had a say in voice actors for dubbing. I don't think most studios really get a say in that so it was pretty cool to hear.
Aug 27, 2019 12:59 PM

Jun 2014
I just saw a trailer of the dub, and it sounds pretty good.

I'll be watching this once it comes out.

Aug 27, 2019 2:53 PM

Nov 2007
It is trying to be too little too much like the Masterpiece that is TTGL. Grab your popcorns folks! This might be fun!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 27, 2019 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
shanimebib said:
It is trying to be too little too much like the Masterpiece that is TTGL. Grab your popcorns folks! This might be fun!

i read some reviews already and from there its not as good as Gurren Lagann given the less time it has too being a single movie (thats like 4-6 episodes of TV anime only)

but ye they said this in the interview "I thought that the viewers wanted us to deliver something they expected" so that maybe the reason why they hype this like something similar to Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill
Aug 27, 2019 3:18 PM

Dec 2018
heg said:
shanimebib said:

i read some reviews already and from there its not as good as Gurren Lagann given the less time it has too being a single movie (thats like 4-6 episodes of TV anime only)

but ye they said this in the interview "I thought that the viewers wanted us to deliver something they expected" so that maybe the reason why they hype this like something similar to Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill

Studio Trigger created Promare as a spiritual successor to TTGL and KLK, bringing their flavor to a feature film format, something new and experimental for the team. Imaishi and his crew were successful in this task as the flick was a hit at the Japanese box office—after a disappointing near-limited theatrical release, word-of-mouth managed to save it.

But of course, don't expect it to be as good as works that make use of Imaishi's idiosyncrasies with much longer screen time.

ElectrowandererOct 3, 2020 12:01 PM
Aug 27, 2019 3:26 PM

Jan 2009
inb4 this is a Fire Force rip-off

aside from having the same basic plot both of them will have different story overall especially Promare have mecha/robots anyway

@SergioVSnake

yep im aware of the 1 billion yen profit they got so far (around 10 million USD which is good considering anime movie budget averages 2-4 million USD only)

Aug 27, 2019 5:32 PM

May 2013
thanks so much for this interview

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by AwNoodles »»
21 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.