Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season - Dorian strongest Hurricane to ever hit the Bahamas - Catastrophic damage - Death Count projected to be in the higher triple digits - Now making landfall in Carolina

New
Aug 27, 2019 8:47 AM

Jul 2015

holy shit this is insane.
That's a category 5 for you.

aftermath

[coast security cameras livestream]

Tally so far
Damage Caused: >$600 million
Death Count: 7

Current predictions with 70% confidence:
10-17 Named Storms
5-9 Hurricanes
2-4 Major Hurricanes
Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) range of 85%-165% of the median

Source: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane.shtml
Railey2Sep 6, 2019 11:40 AM
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 29, 2019 9:37 AM

Jul 2015
And here we go! Dorian (currently Cat1) is making his way towards the eastcoast of Florida, rapidly picking up speed in the process. Let's take a look at the (current) worst case scenario:

As a comparison, another Category 4 that struck Florida was Hurricane Charley in 2004, which killed 35 people and caused ~$20.000.000.000 in damages.

Hurricane Charley aftermath

Right now, Dorian is still expected to sit between Cat3 and Cat4 when he hits on Monday morning. Either way, this is the first major hurricane this year and we're only getting started.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/29/us/dorian-forecast-thursday-wxc/index.html

More to come soon -

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Aug 29, 2019 10:19 AM

Jan 2019
I wasn't aware that MAL had a meteorology service, but from now on I will tune in to this anime site to get important weather updates.
Aug 29, 2019 12:39 PM

Jul 2015
DiscoDespot said:
I wasn't aware that MAL had a meteorology service, but from now on I will tune in to this anime site to get important weather updates.
hahaaa you got it

Puerto Rico just barely dodged this one, it would've been an absolute disaster had they been hit.
Well, maybe later this year they'll get hit anyway.

I'll try to find some surveillance cameras on the beaches before the storm hits, so we can watch it go down live.

Tracking Dorian live!

a beach where Dorian could realistically hit
Railey2Aug 29, 2019 12:51 PM

Aug 29, 2019 12:48 PM

Aug 2012
Fuck. Why am I always away when the real shit goes down. Just nuke the hurricane already.
Aug 29, 2019 2:09 PM

Jul 2007
They really ought to give these things more intimidating names. I'd rather not get killed by something called Dorian.
Aug 29, 2019 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
aren't i happy that i dont live in florida
Aug 30, 2019 5:45 AM

Nov 2016
Last hurricane was no big deal. Besides, having no power for a week because of the snapped power poles.

Looking forward to this one. I went shopping for supplies yesterday, there was still splenty of water, but not a single bag of Doritos in sight. Just shows you what people prioritize.
Aug 30, 2019 2:29 PM

Dec 2014
Predictions are it'll be category 1 by the time it hits Orlando, so hopefully I'll be saved from the worst of the storm. I never lost power back during Irma, I hope that stands true this time as well cause it's free vacation.

SpamuraiSensei said:
Looking forward to this one. I went shopping for supplies yesterday, there was still splenty of water, but not a single bag of Doritos in sight. Just shows you what people prioritize.

Hah. xD
Aug 30, 2019 3:32 PM

Oct 2017
I hope it doesn't hits so hard. My cousin is staying in Panama Beach and they are still trying to rebuild Tyndall AFB with limited resources.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Aug 30, 2019 3:54 PM

Nov 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Predictions are it'll be category 1 by the time it hits Orlando, so hopefully I'll be saved from the worst of the storm. I never lost power back during Irma, I hope that stands true this time as well cause it's free vacation.

SpamuraiSensei said:

Hah. xD

I'm coming over your house if I lose power. You better have Doritos.
Aug 31, 2019 12:23 AM

Jul 2015
Here's another beach camera, this one sitting in Miami on Dania Beach

And another one in Freeport, on the Bahamas where the hurricane will hit first
https://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/caribbean/freeport-bahamas2/

Dorian is now a Category 4. He might not make landfall but instead linger in front of the coast, which is just as bad tbh. More to come tomorrow.

Aug 31, 2019 12:54 AM

Jan 2009
monsoon rains will be heavy i guess
Aug 31, 2019 1:16 AM

Jul 2015
heg said:
deg please this is the Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread, what are you doing talking about the monsoon lmao

i love you but please

Aug 31, 2019 1:35 AM

Jan 2009
Railey2 said:
heg said:
deg please this is the Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread, what are you doing talking about the monsoon lmao

i love you but please

isnt storms that are in water intensifies the rains like monsoon?
Aug 31, 2019 2:00 AM

Jul 2015
heg said:
Railey2 said:

i love you but please

isnt storms that are in water intensifies the rains like monsoon?
no they're not nearly the same.

Winds are caused by differences in pressure and temperature, like have you ever been in a very warm room and then opened the window while it's cold outside? You can feel the air rushing in, because of the differences in temperature.

The monsoon is just like that, it happens because of large scale differences in temperature, because landmass and oceans absorb heat at different rates. Basically, the ocean is the outside, and the place where you're living is the room, and the window is always open.

Hurricanes are different, because they are caused by differences in temperature and pressure that are contained within the hurricane itself.
The way it works exactly is kinda hard to wrap your head around, but here's a picture.

Simplified, it's like you have one spot where the air is really warm, and then a shitload of cold air that swirls around that spot.

Basically, the oceans are really warm, so the air rises up (warm air rises up), and then it cools down because it's colder the higher you go. Then the air falls down again (cold air falls down), and at that point it heats up again and becomes warm air again, rinse and repeat. Then it becomes on giant swirly mess. When a storm works like that, it's called a "cyclone".

Here's another picture, looking at a hurricane from the side. If you look at the arrows, you can see the feedback loop that I've just described.

Incidentally, climate change is making cyclones way worse because the oceans are warmer than they used to be. Warmer oceans -> warmer air -> larger differences in temperature and pressure -> faster swirly winds. You follow?

Hurricanes and Typhoons are both types of cyclones, but they have different names because they occur in different regions of the earth. Hurricanes specifically form on the northern hemisphere, in the Atlantic or relatively close to the western border of the US, usually hitting central or northern America. Typhoons form closer to Asia and usually hit Asia. There are cyclones that form on the southern hemisphere and hit Africa or Australia, but they don't have a special name, they're just called cyclones. Hurricanes, Typhoons and the cyclones on the southern hemisphere all work the same way though.

Here's an illustration. Note that everything on this picture is a cylone, some just have special names.

The monsoon isn't a cyclone.
Railey2Aug 31, 2019 2:06 AM

Aug 31, 2019 11:01 AM

Jan 2009
@Railey2

ye i did not mean to make monsoon and hurricanes/cyclone be the same i just meant that when a cyclone/hurricane/typhoon does not make landfall but still part of the area of responsibility of a country then monsoon rains will intensify around the whole/part of the country instead since that is usually the weather forecast here in the philippines
Sep 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Jul 2015
ok guys, things changed a bit since last time.

The hurricane is probably not making landfall in Florida anymore, but the storm surge will be catastrophic anyway.
Instead, it might hit Georgia or the Carolinas.

In any case, it's gonna go over the Bahamas and mess everything up there real good. They'll experience 40+ hours of 150km/h strong winds.

Tonight is the first time where we'll see some live destruction on camera.

Great Abaco is gonna get hit first
Railey2Sep 1, 2019 1:07 AM

Sep 1, 2019 1:12 AM

Jan 2009
this thread hopefully improves the global warming or man made climate change awareness especiaally there in USA where a lot of people do not believe it or its not man made at all and im not gonna be surprise if this is the whole intention of this thread too lol
Sep 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Jul 2015
Dorian now Category 5, hitting the Bahamas LIVE

Sep 1, 2019 5:55 PM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
Dorian now Category 5, hitting the Bahamas LIVE

Those palm trees are fucked. Brings a tear to my eyes. Still no torn down houses on that live stream, so not that bad.
Sep 1, 2019 9:06 PM

Mar 2008
Oooh shit..hopefully Florida-man will save the day.

Also RIP to the one unlucky person to die so far. Hopefully it's not going to be any more.
Sep 1, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2009
is Category 5 the highest storm warning there? because we only have up to signal number 4 here in the philippines

and lol i just finished watching Godzilla King of Monsters the other day and reminds me of a huge storm is just Ghidorah (the 3 headed alien dragon)
Sep 1, 2019 9:46 PM

Sep 2012
I used to live in Florida and went through my fair share of hurricanes. They're no joke, so if you live on the coast or in the Bahamas, heading inland should be considered. Shuttering your house's windows is a good idea too. I hope people stay safe. As has been previously said, they are not like monsoons. Yes, there is heavy rain, but along with the floods come tearing winds. Within a hurricane, even tornados can form. Plus, if you live in Florida, your resident alligator just got a bigger pool to swim in.
Sep 2, 2019 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
If god exists, he really does hate florida
Sep 2, 2019 8:05 AM

Oct 2017
Let it come, let it come, we have a hero.

''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Sep 2, 2019 9:49 AM

Dec 2016
who the fuck is picking these names? imagine losing everything to a dorian.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 2, 2019 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
Dorian is now officially the strongest Hurricane to ever hit the Bahamas.

this is absolutely insane

Sep 2, 2019 2:10 PM

Oct 2016
photophobic said:
who the fuck is picking these names? imagine losing everything to a dorian.

The government has six lists of names (alternating male and female) that they go through, one a year. Particularly catastrophic hurricanes have their names retired. So there won't be another Katrina or Andrew, for example.
set made by Ale, circa 2016
Sep 3, 2019 2:10 PM

Jul 2015

this is something else. I don't think I've seen damage like that before.

The problem was that the Hurricane just sat on top of that island for 40 hours as a category 5 and didn't move, so this is the result. Right now there are 5 confirmed deaths and 2 indirect deaths, but that number will rise soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it went up to a 100. Just look at that utter destruction... no words.
Railey2Sep 3, 2019 2:17 PM

Sep 3, 2019 2:17 PM

Jan 2009
im glad their is only few deaths at least

but really its a disastah!

Sep 3, 2019 2:28 PM

Jul 2015
heg said:
The Death toll will rise quickly over the next couple days, no doubt. This is only the beginning.

Btw, this is apparently a thing

"well climate change isn't real, but the storms are so much stronger now which doesn't make sense if climate change isn't real. So either I'm wrong and climate change is real, or.... THE STORMS MUST BE FAKE"

I have no hope for humanity :(

Sep 3, 2019 2:33 PM

Jan 2009
@Railey2

i lol those comments are a disastah themselves they believe storms are man made but the current climate change is not man made to them
Sep 3, 2019 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
Railey2 said:
heg said:
The Death toll will rise quickly over the next couple days, no doubt. This is only the beginning.

Btw, this is apparently a thing

"well climate change isn't real, but the storms are so much stronger now which doesn't make sense if climate change isn't real. So either I'm wrong and climate change is real, or.... THE STORMS MUST BE FAKE"

I have no hope for humanity :(

lmao what the fuck this is some conspiracy nutter shit, do they also think ""DA JOOS"" create the storms and did 9/11?
Sep 3, 2019 9:49 PM

Dec 2016
Oh shit! I got distracted an forgot to set the waypoints for the hurricane before I went to my cover job.My bad ;_;
Sep 4, 2019 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
Just a little update, when Dorian came for Florida it was a level 2("The storm’s peak sustained winds were 105 mph, making it a high-end Category 2 storm.").
Sep 4, 2019 2:55 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah, Dorian has probably run its course. Cat 2 can still be pretty bad if it hits a city (awful, actually), but it's unlikely to come to that.

Probably it'll turn around and fizzle out over the Atlantic Ocean.

That being said, there's another one coming up, projected to turn into a Hurricane within the next week. Unlikely to hit anything as it's so far away but we'll see. These things can always escalate. Irma formed in a similar spot.

Railey2Sep 4, 2019 3:01 PM

Sep 5, 2019 10:52 AM

Jul 2015
Nevermind, it's making landfall in Carolina as a Category 3.

Seems like Dorian isn't quite done yet.

Sep 6, 2019 8:35 AM

Sep 2012
Well, I guess Florida avoided most contact with Dorian. Now it's made its way to the Carolinas. Apparently there has been some flooding and other damage, though the storm downgraded to a Category 1. As for the climate change conspiracy theorists, it's quite sad, but there are so many people who are lost because they just believe what they want to instead of reality.
Sep 6, 2019 9:06 AM

Nov 2016
I question the intelligence of anyone who sticks around in a non-hurricane approved shelter when you know a CAT 4 possibly 5 is headed directly towards you. They've had DAYS notice.
Sep 6, 2019 11:38 AM

Jan 2019
I have never understood people who continue to live in areas that consistently get wiped out by hurricanes. I value my anime figure collection way too much to ever consider moving to a high risk area.
Sep 6, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2015
DiscoDespot said:
I have never understood people who continue to live in areas that consistently get wiped out by hurricanes. I value my anime figure collection way too much to ever consider moving to a high risk area.
moving away would cost a lot of money. Some people are simply to poor to move, plus let's be honest the Bahamas are kinda nice.

Well, not anymore I suppose.

Latest reports say that the death toll might be in the quadruple digits. Higher triple digits for sure. I've never seen such devastation after a hurricane.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.