Forum Settings
Forums

What kind of stuff is helpful to know about, terms, and so on...?

Aug 26, 2:17 AM
I love stuff...

Ever since late 70s, and maybe even before, in anime a lot of time, especially sci-fi, or mecha, were mentioned and used scientific terms, and ideas, or simply those that aren't really in general use.

Sometimes, "anime science", while fictional, is heavily based, or inspired by real life one; take games by famous Hideo Kojima for example - not really anime anime, but, their writing is no doubt the same.

- in original Macross series, so called space folds are mentioned
- in Madoka there was entropy
- in Dragon Ball Z alternative time lines, and so on...

Years passed since I watched first Toaru Majutsu series, but I believe it had a lot of semi scientific-magic expressions, like it was based on some logic.

There are also historical and legendary figures, and events; how many times we heard names of Oda Nobunaga, Susanoo, Yamata no Orochi.

Nasuverse is full of such, in its own way.

Not saying that one needs to know these things, but in a way, I think it is nice to have some background, and in a way it helps understand plot better, I guess.

Of course, some require years of learning, but at the very least some general knowledge can also be useful.

Aug 26, 3:44 AM

I think the best thing (not only) anime can do is present some complex concepts in simple and fun ways, so the audience will learn something new. A good example of this is Chernobyl with how a nuclear reactor works but also the VN of Steins gate with those hypotheses (Kurisu's presentation) on time travel.

An anime that would need prerequisite knowledge, if done well, would be certainly praised by those that have it, but at the same time it would be very niche.
I think a better way would be to explain some concepts in the beginning and build on that base towards more complicated stuff.

To be more specific about your question:

One person can't really know everything in every field, so, if you're interested in some particular subject, study it and then watch stuff related to it, for a better understanding and a more complete sense of enjoyment.

It's usually good to know some psychology and philosophy, but for a hard SF, depending on what it is about, it could be physics, biology, chemistry, maths, IT and who knows what other things.

Aug 26, 5:05 AM

Psajdak said:

in original Macross series, so called space folds are mentioned

This is pretty common sci-fi concept that even doesn't need explaining but how about the protoculture?
In the later Macross titles there is increasing vocabulary of fictional terms

Psajdak said:

in Madoka there was entropy

In your bag of Skittles too.

Psajdak said:

in Dragon Ball Z alternative time lines, and so on...

Like really?
Is DBZ the first title you think when some mentions "alternative timeline" and not Back To The Future or something?

Deciphering what the techno bubble means is one of the nerdish pleasures you can have with sci-fi or phantasy show.
GunBuster even had some short chibi segments explaining stuff.

avdx101 said:
A good example of this is Chernobyl with how a nuclear reactor works

Isn't like the good old boring explanation in school way way more fun than the Chernobyl disaster...even it's fictionalized version.
Modified by alshu, Aug 26, 5:11 AM