Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 25, 2019 8:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I admire Thorfinn's fighting spirit this episode but there's some obvious gap in skill difference in that duel.

Quite an interesting episode besides just the battle itself. We also got a look of Thorfinn's emotional moments again that make his character story feel impactful.
Stark700Aug 25, 2019 8:38 AM
Aug 25, 2019 8:42 AM

Jul 2016
I loved this episode. Even though Thorfinn has turned himself into a fine warrior, his father’s death still makes him more emotional, as shown during the duel. I also liked the scene with Thorfinn and the slave, it really shows how much pain Thorfinn has endured.

Props to WIT Studio for making an amazing adaptation so far, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s coming next!

Overall, 5/5
Mike4992Aug 25, 2019 9:16 AM
Aug 25, 2019 9:36 AM

Jan 2019
I loved this episode so much. Askeladd is such a great character.
ElucidAug 25, 2019 9:41 AM
Aug 25, 2019 9:39 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
The duel was really epic, Askeladd is an absolute madlad.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 25, 2019 9:41 AM

Feb 2018
Such an interesting dynamic between Thorfinn and Askeladd. It feels like the latter is waiting around for the former to get strong enough to beat him.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 25, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2017
looks like we caught a glance of some of the more important characters in this episode like Canute and the other dude at the end.

good episode overall, although I was hoping for a more meaningful message from Askeladd after he defeated Thorfinn.
shayed__Sep 1, 2019 6:11 PM
Aug 25, 2019 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

The duel was great and the animation sequences were great. Thorfinn totally fell for Askeladd's provocation, it was so clear that he was trying to get Thorfinn to lose his cool and lash out and Thorfinn fell for it, hook line and sinker. Hopefully he learnt his lesson.

I felt bad for the slave girl who mentioned that even if she were to escape and run away, was there really a place she could goto that wouldn't be any different? :(

The little dream sequence with Thors was nice and I really liked the part where Thorfinn talked about Vinland.
Aug 25, 2019 9:52 AM

Nov 2017
Sick animation* the slave girl scene was my favorite part.

The new characters not yet introduced are interesting. I'm expecting great things from them.
Aug 25, 2019 9:55 AM

Jul 2017
masaka could this be Thorfinn's waifu (if he even has one in this series)?

but damn Askeladd rocking that harem alongside all those riches also can't wait for the Battle of Stamford Bridge to be animated this season
Aug 25, 2019 9:56 AM
Sep 2015
OMG Thors is back! Even if it's just a dream. He's the only thing that make me continue watching. As no matter how much Thorfinn grow he'll never be as big as his father. And Thorfinn will continue to commit many mistakes in his life, I don't have time for that. And I have a feeling that it'll be female's role to soften his heart, can't his heart be soften by male? He needs father role model replacement so it'd be logical (for me) that there's a guy out there that make him realize no one has any enemy.
Aug 25, 2019 10:04 AM

Sep 2014
Askeladd just needed to use the right words to defeat Thorfinn. The guy is so blinded by revenge that he can be easily taunted. I loved the moment that Thorfinn dreamed of his father and also him mentioning Vinland to that slave girl. Canute and Ragnar made their debut this week as well. And that ending was just plain epic. The madman Thorkell is back!
Aug 25, 2019 10:07 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great Episode!

Quite the welcome for Askeladd and his men, looks like this is one war-loving village. Askeladd is totally rocking with the females lol, certainly didn't see that coming.

Nasty duel though, I've to say. Askeladd was clearly trying to aggravate Thorfinn and it succeeded by a mile, poor Thorfinn. Cool action choreography for the battle and seems like Thorfinn is still quite vulnerable to such provocations, as you'd expect from a young teen of his age.

Poor slave girl and the bit of Thors returning in Thorfinn's dream was really emotional. Awesome how he used the same words as his father regarding 'Vinland', I'm sure that'll keep her positive during harsh times.

Meanwhile, it seems as though the Viking raid has begun!

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 25, 2019 10:08 AM

Feb 2011
The scene with Thors on the boat was very touching.
Pretty frustrating that Thorfinn would fall for such an obvious trick tbh.
Aug 25, 2019 10:09 AM

Sep 2017
Man Thorfinn put up a good fight, but it was so easy for Askeladd to abuse his weakness. It was still pretty awesome.
Aug 25, 2019 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
I really loved the more quiet scenes in this episode. I feel like Vinland Saga really shines with these kind of scenes.
Aug 25, 2019 10:11 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was impactful. Everyone is a slave to something. War and slave traders everywhere, but there is none in Vinland. And that ending. Oh my gosh. The voice actor is that who I think it is? Goodness gracious.
Aug 25, 2019 10:14 AM
Jun 2015
The manliest viking is here, and so the is the asshole zitface king. This is where the story truly shines.
Aug 25, 2019 10:15 AM

Aug 2013
Thorfinn got better in his fighting skills, though Askeladd was able to easily provoke him.

The scene Thors appeared in Thorfinn's dream was emotional. I feel sorry for the slave girl.

Aug 25, 2019 10:18 AM

Mar 2019
Food for thought. If AskelaDD and his rape laDDs weren't rapists they'd all be incels. Really makes you think.
Aug 25, 2019 10:26 AM

Nov 2016
Knowing about the rearangements of the story, the dialogue between Thorfinn and Askeladd felt a bit off during the fight. It worked as foreshadowing or teaser for the flashback with Thors and Thorfinns childhood, but on it's own it fell flat.

Ootsuka Akio voicing a character is the best way to give insta hype.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 25, 2019 10:36 AM

Mar 2016
I'm really digging Vinland Saga's characters, story, and world.
Despite the matter that there are some contents i'm uncomfortable with in this series, the execution and journey of our main character really captivates me.

Thorfinn's struggle reminds me if the perspective of the story in Naruto was shifted to Sasuke, it could possibly have really similar vibes.
Aug 25, 2019 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
Pig_on_the_knee said:
Food for thought. If AskelaDD and his rape laDDs weren't rapists they'd all be incels. Really makes you think.

Not really, they would be more like fighters in out current time out for the blood jus in more legal ways like ufc mma.
Also dont forget in those times nearly everyone was a rapist from a mercenary to a legal soldier, each and every one who fights does at the end of the day for the loot they get when they defeat the enemy including the women.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Aug 25, 2019 10:42 AM
Mar 2019
This episode dives deeper into thorfinn's character... overall it was a very good episode 5/5
Aug 25, 2019 10:50 AM
Apr 2016
The most pleasant episode I have seen so far. PROPER representation of combat between Thorfinn and Askeladd, remarks on slavery and materialism... If only everyone was so spiritually elevated back in 1000s.
I find it conflicting how Askeladd's crew is depicted slaughtering villages and raiding people, and then they get back home where they are welcomed, they laugh together with other families and even touch children - it appears so surreal. Except that it is how the world is, no matter how malicious and evil, yours is prioritized over theirs and no one questions their brethren. I do not know if there was really such a parallel here, as envisioned by the author, but it just struck me as... conflicting.

Sheragin said:
I'm really digging Vinland Saga's characters, story, and world.
Despite the matter that there are some contents i'm uncomfortable with in this series, the execution and journey of our main character really captivates me.

I could say I am feeling the same. While there are things I would lengthily criticize, I would like to see this series end as something positive. We will see, of course. But my faith is strong here.
Re:formed
Aug 25, 2019 10:50 AM

Aug 2018
Does anyone know what'll happen to the slave girl? I don't mind being spoiled though.

This anime NEVER disappoints!
Aug 25, 2019 10:51 AM
Aug 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
I really loved the more quiet scenes in this episode. I feel like Vinland Saga really shines with these kind of scenes.

This. I can't stress enough how great it is to finally see anime that utilizes "show, don't tell" so well and thus showcases great characters and writing overall in it's fullest.

We don't go into characters mind, noone mumbles/narrates how he feels or what he sees - it's all in the lines, facial expressions, actions.
Aug 25, 2019 10:52 AM

Feb 2017
pastofdraw said:
Does anyone know what'll happen to the slave girl? I don't mind being spoiled though.

Aug 25, 2019 10:52 AM

Jul 2015
Great episode

we got to see the duel nicely adapted and the teaching that pure rage can't bring victory,you need to calm your head to gain victory.

Everyone is a slave to something;be it money,slave master or even revenge.

Hordaland was nice,i really liked her,i remember when i first read the manga i instantly shipped her with Thorfinn.

Also Canute made his first appearance

And Thorkell even in his brief appearance showed his feats,get ready for next episode to see more crazy feats of his.
Arjuna777Aug 25, 2019 10:56 AM

Aug 25, 2019 10:54 AM
Apr 2016
magictuch said:
HopefulNihilist said:

This. I can't stress enough how great it is to finally see anime that utilizes "show, don't tell" so well and thus showcases great characters and writing overall in it's fullest.

We don't go into characters mind, noone mumbles/narrates how he feels or what he sees - it's all in the lines, facial expressions, actions.

That should be credited to the veteran author behind this series. Of course, for now all we can do is speculate why Askeladd does that, why his crew does this, but in general terms I believe it is made rather obvious why they are doing most of these things even though it goes against the logic of the time. One day they should openly go and say it, but for now facial expressions, glances and head tilts symbolize their outlook on life. Just like it usually happens in thought-out art works.

Arjuna777 said:
Great episode

we got to see the duel nicely adapted and the teaching that pure rage can't bring victory,you need to calm your head to gain victory.

Hordaland was nice,i really liked her,i remember when i first read the manga i instantly shipped her with Thorfinn.

Also Canute amde his first appearance

And Thorkell even in his brief appearance showed his feats,get ready for next episode to see more crazy feats of his.

Daddy daddy is it going to be completely absurd without any attempt to tone it down to real combat?

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenAug 30, 2019 10:33 AM
Aug 25, 2019 11:00 AM

Jul 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
Arjuna777 said:
Great episode

Also Canute amde his first appearance

Daddy daddy is it going to be completely absurd without any attempt to tone it down to real combat?

Well historically Vikings had stronger bodies compared to normal people,i read in a book that a strong viking warrior could cut down 3 people in a single sword slash.

So feats you are going to see next episode will be crazy

it's a secret ta-da

Aug 25, 2019 11:01 AM

Aug 2018
Tsarko said:
pastofdraw said:

Oh, I see - sucks seeing girls get abused in this anime. Appreciate the reply!

Jul 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
Pretty frustrating that Thorfinn would fall for such an obvious trick tbh.

yea, it was pretty obvious where that was gonna go as soon as Askeladd started talking

but that's what character development is for amirite

Mar 2019
AcceleratorAngel said:
Pig_on_the_knee said:

Not really, they would be more like fighters in out current time out for the blood jus in more legal ways like ufc mma.
Also dont forget in those times nearly everyone was a rapist from a mercenary to a legal soldier, each and every one who fights does at the end of the day for the loot they get when they defeat the enemy including the women.

I imagine they'd just be garden variety gangbangers if they were alive now, but that's not what I meant.
Aug 25, 2019 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
The show moves between action and softer emotional scenes so well. I hate Askeladd for playing mind games with Thorfinn. Seems to be his MO since he did the same with Thors - when he's losing he distracts.
Aug 25, 2019 11:05 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I read this chapter soo long ago that I had completely forgotten about the slave girl. It's an important scene though because it reveals that despite Thorfinn almost becoming feral, he still retains a strong memory of the stories Leif told him.

Thorkell is here!! Love that guy and his over the top ways.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 25, 2019 11:06 AM

Jul 2009
Everything about this episode—from the duel to the night scene—was absolutely terrific. The fact they dropped one of Askeladd's best quotes from the manga and Thorfinn's Vinland monologue from the trailer made me shiver with delight. We finally get to see a glimpse of Canute and Thorkell at last.

Kudos to WIT for the stellar adaptation so far!
Aug 25, 2019 11:10 AM
Apr 2016
pastofdraw said:
Tsarko said:

Oh, I see - sucks seeing girls get abused in this anime. Appreciate the reply!

But that is literally what slave girls were subject to during the Dark Ages of Vikingship. Chances are your grand-grand-grand-...mother was either abused or an abuser. You can disagree with such treatment, but you can't deny the fact that it was real. Still is, somewhere (looking at you Japan).
Aug 25, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2017
Well saw Thorfin loosing that way from a mile away. He honed his skill but still needs to control his temper.
Aug 25, 2019 11:24 AM
Aug 2019
Really hoping that the new slave girl Hondland is gonna end up being just as kickass cool as Thorfinn! ^_^
Aug 25, 2019 11:28 AM
Mar 2015
Great episode from the homecoming to the questions about slavery. Thorfinn is becoming a person that even his father can't give answers to. Now on the Danish conquest of England
Aug 25, 2019 11:28 AM

Jan 2009
Thorfinn loses to Askeladd by being emotionally provoked

and does Thorfinn got a waifu now? nice one

oh wow that big guy in episode 1 with Thors in a past war showed up again huh

Aug 25, 2019 11:29 AM

Mar 2016
I just can't wait for Thorkell. He is a rather fun character.
Aug 25, 2019 11:32 AM

Jul 2013
The result of the fight of Virginn against Chadskeladd was pretty obvious, but it was a nice battle still. It just shows Thorfinn still has a long way to go and needs to mature.
Scene with the slave girl was good. It is also nice to see Thors again, even if it is only in a dream. It is also shows that Thorfinn still remembers the stories of his childhood despite his current revenge-driven personality.

The viking at the end looks like a pretty dope character. Cannot wait to see more of him.
Aug 25, 2019 11:35 AM
Apr 2016
I guess Thorfinn is still just a child, getting provoked so easily. Expected outcome.

Some things are building up, looking good.
Aug 25, 2019 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
Great stuff.
voice is just too perfect.
Aug 25, 2019 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
I kept screaming at Thorfinn to not get riled up by askeladd but well, nothing could have been done. He has all the right to be pissed. I still don't agree with his father's philosophy. There are very little people, especially in the kind of world they live, that don't have enemies. Why should you not get revenge if it can help you to move on?

Poor slave girl, the thing is that even if she were to try to escape, what can she to when she is a thing person and she is against burly men? probably not much. It was very insensitive for Thorfinn to just assume anyone can go about it the way he has. He started as a kid yes, but he is still a guy. That girl just by being a girl has way more things to worry about. I really liked this episode and appreciated not seeing as much CG as the last one. I still think the boats look horrendous.
Aug 25, 2019 12:18 PM
May 2019
It was a fun duel but Thorfinn needs to learn how to control his emotions.
I feel sorry for the slave girl I wounder if she is going to be Thorfinn love interest in the future. Can't wait for more.
Aug 25, 2019 12:19 PM
Jun 2015
I'm glad they adapted the askeladd analogy well, I like how it is present

scares me that totally empty negative review of the anime have so many helpful
Aug 25, 2019 12:53 PM

Mar 2018
There passed more than one year since Thors' dead right? Kinda sounded like they come back to their village every year but no one seemed to know Thorfinn... But he's been with them for a couple years now right

Thorfinn's skills are really good ngl. His emotions really get in the way tho

And damn Thorkell.. Talkin 'bout badass

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 25, 2019 1:19 PM

Feb 2018
operationvalkyri said:
The show moves between action and softer emotional scenes so well. I hate Askeladd for playing mind games with Thorfinn. Seems to be his MO since he did the same with Thors - when he's losing he distracts.

he's teaching him a lesson , Thorfinn is no match for Askeladd obviously .
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.