Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion

Aug 26, 3:02 AM

s m o l n e z u k o

ngl, wrapping the injured up like mummies and putting a tag on them makes them seem like they're dead lmao

So Muzan turned Rui into a demon 'cause he felt sorry for him? Interesting, I'm really curious now how he selects people to turn into demons/moons

New characters hype, looking as colorful as always.

Aug 26, 5:03 AM

Red_Ranger_Wien said:
ExaltedChampion said:

I think you miss the point. It not about forgive and redeem him. it to show how he get to this point. The series never use the demon past as an excuse for their action. Tanjirou just doesn't share the view that demon are monster but instead to him it a miserable existence.

Uh no. His hair reverting to normal and his parents spirits accepting him into heaven with them was clearly trying to present him as being redeemed.

His parent forgive him cause they his parents. Also that not heaven, that hell. Eastern Asian have a difference view on hell than Christianity. While Christianity hell is a eternal torture prison for sinner and non believer, Buddhism hell, which inspired by Hindu hell is a temperate place all dead people go to to pay for their sin in their life before being purify and reborn into next life.

Aug 26, 5:03 AM

I initially expected Rui's backstory ans send-off to be sad, but resolute, but for me at least, it made me shed a few tears for him. It was a combination of how sad his backstory was, the timing of the soundtrack and, even though he was still injured, Tanjiro's empathy as he rested his hand on Rui's fading body really got to me. ='(

The rest of the episode was a mixture of tense and funny moments. The constant banter between Giyu and Shinobu while they were fighting each other was hilarious. Even though Giyu rarely talks, he did the right thing to hold off Shinobu to give enough time for Tanjiro to run off with Nezuko.

However, Kanao was tailing him and she was able to stop him, but Nezuko, bless her, made the scene into a funny one with how she was able to dodge Kanao's attacks, from flipping, jumping and even shrinking herself like she ate a poison mushroom from Super Mario. It was entertaining. =3

Eventually, the official call was made from headquarters, relayed by the crows that Tanjiro and Nezuko would be taken into custody. I just hope nothing bad happens to them, but it was really cool to see the other Hashira demon slayers at the end of the episode.

Great episode and I also hope that Inosuke finds his mojo again. Hearing him saying that he's not strong at all makes me want to give him a hug. Maybe Tanjiro could give him one... =3

Aug 26, 6:47 AM

Rui´s flahback and final moments almost made me shed tears... I definitely feel bad for many of the oni.

But OH MY GOD, NEZUKO! WHEN WE THINK SHE CAN´T GET CUTER <3 I literally screamed "Awwwww" out loud.

Aug 26, 7:55 AM

A really good episode, can't wait for what comes next for Nezuko and Tanjiro, Nezuko chase scene was just too cute lol. I am also glad to see our MAN, Tomioka, Giyuu, defending Tanjirou, let the trail begin. We also got a glimpse of the Hashiras, and yes of course, there's always going to be that one dressed in a certain way that would make you wonder why they don't catch colds often.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia

Aug 26, 8:03 AM

Mother of god Nezuko running as a chiby was so much for me

Aug 26, 12:15 PM
HereticHunter said:
Why is this anime so fucking slow? Literally almost nothing happened on this episode. There's no need to expand on the demons backstory that much, it wastes a lot of time, Spidermom's backstory was shorter and it was easier to sympathize with her. Can't say the same for the rest of this "Family"

It does not help either that Shinobu keeps triggering Giyuu while not letting Tanjiro or Giyuu explain themselves. All that time wasted served nothing because in the end they'd be taking Tanjiro and Nezuko to the pillars anyway.
Right. I totally forgot people complain to everything nowadays. When for one time, in a short shounen have a some character development, even for someone few will care anyways, people still complain about that. In all the tension we have had so far, they're taking a bit slow and it'll be like this for pretty much the next two episodes, as they're introducing many new characters.

Aug 26, 1:55 PM

FuriousNutSlaps said:
HereticHunter said:
Why is this anime so fucking slow? Literally almost nothing happened on this episode. There's no need to expand on the demons backstory that much, it wastes a lot of time, Spidermom's backstory was shorter and it was easier to sympathize with her. Can't say the same for the rest of this "Family"

It does not help either that Shinobu keeps triggering Giyuu while not letting Tanjiro or Giyuu explain themselves. All that time wasted served nothing because in the end they'd be taking Tanjiro and Nezuko to the pillars anyway.
Right. I totally forgot people complain to everything nowadays. When for one time, in a short shounen have a some character development, even for someone few will care anyways, people still complain about that. In all the tension we have had so far, they're taking a bit slow and it'll be like this for pretty much the next two episodes, as they're introducing many new characters.

Ah shit, here we go again.

I think I should edit my main post so I should stop getting replies of people telling me the same thing over and over again.

I'm not against having these backstories for the villains, the problem is, that almost nothing plot relevant happened on this episode. This show already spends so much time on these backstories that they end up dragging them too much it makes the plot progression really slow. We've been 6 episodes on the same place and only about half of them were relevant.
If you find yourself disagreeing, please, don't do the following:

1. Call out on some superiority complex.
2. Rely on "If you don't like then don't watch it" in an attempt to defend your statements
3. Resorting to insults.

Aug 26, 9:12 PM

Loli Nezuko is so cute.

Wish she would stay that size forever. (especially when inside the backpack... less weight to carry, lol)
Currently (slowly) adding My Anime List (from word doc) to this site
800+ watched anime series
Not doing My Manga List, cause I have over 2800 read manga series (if counting one shot/ side stories = 3500+) will take way too long to do.

Aug 26, 11:27 PM
idk if that arc made up for everything else that came before it but it sure ended on a strong note.

Aug 27, 8:28 AM

I get the feeling that everything is not black and white here like it's not as simple as demons slayers vs. demons. Cause we've seen friendly demons so probably in the future Tanjiro's gonna fight the whole demon slayer corps lol or maybe perhaps just a couple of these hashiras

Aug 27, 9:34 AM
Of course they had to end the with such a cliff hanger.

Aug 27, 3:19 PM

While i know she was on the right, Kocho was getting on my nerves with her insistence to kill Nezuko off. Poor tanjiro couldn't catch a break, it's a miracle he hasn't died from all those injuries already.

Dunno why but all these Hashiras except Tomioka look like assholes.

Aug 28, 1:01 AM

Aww yeah, finally the Pillars are all here.

Aug 28, 10:38 AM

damn the episodes has been so much better then expected

Aug 29, 4:26 AM

A pretty good episode.Even if i find the male characters to be extremely boring so far in this anime. The females are much better and shines through. Shinobu is an alluring beauty and fun to watch! Hopefully there will be a lot more of her in the future .I really wanna see her go all out!!

Even with irritating male characters it's a decent anime so far overall!! And the action is flashy and entertaining!!And the story dont waste to much of its time with stupid shit!! I like that,Nice pacing, i give this anime 5/10. For now!!!

Aug 29, 4:47 AM
Honestly the lack of world building in this show is seriously dragging it down for me.
21 episodes in and I don't really see where the plot is headed or whether I am supposed to care for the demons or what. They've only recently made it clear that demons were once humans, and that's pretty much all we know about them. The show keeps treating them as actual humans but also as disgusting beasts at the same time. I seriously don't get it, maybe I'm losing details watching it weekly, I don't know. Even Tanjirou pitying every single demon, even the very first kill who was just an actual beast seeking for revenge over disciples of Urokodaki (the masked ones), is really weird and kinda invalidates his determination and focus he displays during such fights. While he's fighting he's 100% focused on killing the demon and his will does not waver an inch but as soon as does the deed he goes like 'I forgive you, you were just a human after all', what is this?

Also the way the show is handling the main villain is weird as well, they just threw him out of nowhere, mentioning him here and there, then that weird couple episodes of him just casually showing up in a city, then the whole plan of collecting blood samples which has apparently been forgotten of and the overall pacing is seriously leaving me weirded out.

Action is fantastic and I really loved the episodes focusing on Inosuke and Zenitsu but other than that the frame is still a huge mess to me. The lack of details about everything is simply concerning, and they just come out of nowhere when it's needed (see the small detail -not even actually explained yet- of Tanjirou's dad and his family's art and stuff).

Again, maybe I'm the one who missed stuff or is misremembering, please prove me wrong if that's the case. No, I'm not hating on the show just because it got popular or anything, I wouldn't have kept up with it for 21 weeks were it the case. I'm just concerned about the overall direction and tone of this. It's confusing to say the least.

I understand that this is a long running series and it's one of those show which needs quite some time to unfold but it's still pretty atypical to me even as a shounen.

Aug 29, 6:54 AM

So many kids here, heh...

That first half almost made me rate 1/5 this episode, it was so stupid.
At least things picked up after Shinobu arrived, so i'll just pass as usual.

Zenitsu looking good as a mummy, LOL.
Those crows showed up at such a convenient moment, were they having fun hiding and watching best imouto get chased?

Aug 29, 8:06 AM

@kirbo
Get used to it. In Kimetsu no Yaiba the characters gets introduced early, you don’t see them for like 100 chapters, and then the author focuses on them. That’s just how her storytelling is, a clever one in my opinion. For example, the other two kids that survived in the Final Selection. The girl gets some screen time in this arc we are entering now, but then you won’t see her for like 90 chapters. The “angry boy” gets properly introduced deep in the manga, after 100 chapters.
Of course, the same goes for some pillars and the main villain.

One thing the author is good at is not forgetting elements or details. The blood collecting quest was not forgotten. In this fight of course Tanjirou couldn’t collect it because he was too much injured, and Giyuu was the one killing him. Later on you wil get an important development in this plot point. Same goes for the “marechi” thing (rare blood).

About the first demon Tanjirou encountered... do I even have to say this? Would you easily murder someone you know killed other people. I think that the answer is quite obvious, you would 100% be hesitant about it, for sure.

As for the other demons, it was said this episode that Tanjirou only forgives some demons, not all of them. Like the Swamp Demon, and other demons he will meet in the future. Cause he can ”smell” when a demon is giving off a scent of regret, sadness, etc... so yeah, Tanjious does feel for them, but will still kill them. So it’s up to you how to view his sense of forgiveness.

Aug 29, 9:30 AM
Xenocrisi said:
@kirbo
Get used to it. In Kimetsu no Yaiba the characters gets introduced early, you don’t see them for like 100 chapters, and then the author focuses on them. That’s just how her storytelling is, a clever one in my opinion. For example, the other two kids that survived in the Final Selection. The girl gets some screen time in this arc we are entering now, but then you won’t see her for like 90 chapters. The “angry boy” gets properly introduced deep in the manga, after 100 chapters.
Of course, the same goes for some pillars and the main villain.

One thing the author is good at is not forgetting elements or details. The blood collecting quest was not forgotten. In this fight of course Tanjirou couldn’t collect it because he was too much injured, and Giyuu was the one killing him. Later on you wil get an important development in this plot point. Same goes for the “marechi” thing (rare blood).

About the first demon Tanjirou encountered... do I even have to say this? Would you easily murder someone you know killed other people. I think that the answer is quite obvious, you would 100% be hesitant about it, for sure.

As for the other demons, it was said this episode that Tanjirou only forgives some demons, not all of them. Like the Swamp Demon, and other demons he will meet in the future. Cause he can ”smell” when a demon is giving off a scent of regret, sadness, etc... so yeah, Tanjious does feel for them, but will still kill them. So it’s up to you how to view his sense of forgiveness.

Thank you for replying! I'm glad to know that those "details" aren't forgotten of, but my complaint was more about how these ploth threads are being handled. The continue shift in tone is something I'm not really fond of and it seems to me that this anime tends to do it a lot, something that feels extremely important gets suddenly sidelined.. some demon who is presented as terribly evil and heinous gets a backstory that is supposed to redeem him somehow, or make the audience feel bad about him at the very least. I totally disliked the frame in which he is somehow reunited with his parents (or at leasts he feels he is?) and they say 'we're going to hell together'. Ok, I get it, he was a child. Ok, I get it, parental love is unconditional and trascends everything. But, to me, the way it was handled was rather cheap. You are showing me how much his parents loved him, to the point that the father would bear the extremely heavy burder of a murder-suicide for the sake of his son and yet just a few seconds before you show me how easily the kid gets swayed by the bad guy (who just shows up out of nowhere but that's probably part of his plan we dont know much about yet)? If he so easily believed some weird stranger he probably was extremely resentful to his parents and if that's the case did they actually ever show any love? Why did the mother waited for tragedy to strike to apologize/express the guilt she felt by giving him such a frail body, how did they actually treat him while they looked after him? It feels off.

disclaimer, I didn't double-check what I typed above so I apologize in advice if there are mistakes/it doesn't make too much sense (hopefully I got my point across)

Another thing, I don't really get the breathing techniques and how power works in this shounen in general. The concept hasn't really been expanded much upon and all I get from Tanjirou is that breathing correctly and keeping form is key to land a powerful slash.. but when did he learn about the different forms and stuff, did I miss something.. (I'm not even talking about his fire breathing technique because that was explained by the flashback within the same episode it is introduced so it didn't feel weird at all)
Modified by kirbo, Aug 29, 9:33 AM

Aug 29, 10:15 AM

What a fantastic episode!

As always, an amazing backstory that will make you feel a little bad for the villain, what a sad story.

The butterfly girl has her reasons, it's obvious, but what a coincidence that the other guy is the one who saved Tanjiro and let him flee with Nezuko without killing her, that's why he was protecting them!

That ending wow! So slaying corps also have some elites too, that's great!

Best moment of this whole episode! I almost died of laughter when Nezuko became small ahaha

@OrangeJP
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 29, 1:38 PM

Such emotional episode.

Tanjirou didn't collect Rui's blood, what a shame.

Suzuki was so cute when she tried to run away! ;D

That ending showed some more charzcrers. I guess next episodes will reveal some more informations about them. For now we only know they are the strongest among demon slayers.

Aug 29, 7:31 PM

Yuri-Crusader said:
A pretty good episode.Even if i find the male characters to be extremely boring so far in this anime. The females are much better and shines through. Shinobu is an alluring beauty and fun to watch! Hopefully there will be a lot more of her in the future .I really wanna see her go all out!!

Even with irritating male characters it's a decent anime so far overall!! And the action is flashy and entertaining!!And the story dont waste to much of its time with stupid shit!! I like that,Nice pacing, i give this anime 5/10. For now!!!

wooooot I found this girl is kinda annoying and I like Giyuu, he looks like my friend. Btw I'm not gay.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”

Aug 30, 12:20 PM
What chapter is the trial in the manga? Oh boy can't wait for it!

Aug 30, 12:48 PM

Next episode will be a banger, simple.
and smol Nezuko is adorable.

Aug 30, 2:04 PM

Rui's backstory was much better than the last one.

I'm going to ship Shinobu with Giyuu.
Life has no meaning.

Aug 30, 8:07 PM
Man the backstory is real, shedding light on Rui's past really put a tear in my eyes. Good thing Tomioka remember who Tanjirou is!

Aug 31, 12:20 AM
why every demon always had a pretty sad bakcstory.. damn Riu's one hit me hard.

some uwu nezuko right there/

I like how there's a conflict between hashiras and the way tomoika starts disobeying the rule for nezuko.

also the medical teams looks funny to me dunno why.. i wonder how they put nezuko back in the box..

Aug 31, 11:13 AM

Oh boy, Tanjiro is in trouble I guess.

Aug 31, 11:26 AM

Ok, Rui's dead was very moving, ngl.

Sep 1, 9:39 AM

one of best anime of 2019 and the best Character of all time Tanjirou Kamado
very cool episode
Demon Slayers ♤♡◇♧ 鬼滅の刃

Sep 1, 11:12 AM

Himawari9 said:
Ant161718 said:
I don't know if I was the only weak person that cried like a baby with the sad story about Rui, but I did it.
By the way, it was strange the situation it saved Tanjiro and Nezuko of they being called by the slayers demons society's, now I'am wondering why it's supposed that Giyuu is the mostly hated between the pillars but I really wanna believe that is because of he is too strong or something like that.

It is his personality. You can see that he is rather unfriendly and he didn't even remember Tanjiro, only realized it is him after seeing demon Nezuko.
Oh. Yeah? Thanks for the inf. I was reading the manga while the emission but not too far enough.
LIVE THE LIFE ON YOUR WAY AND FUCK OFF THE REST OF THE WORLD ¬¬

Sep 1, 12:09 PM

We got to see the Rui's backstory in this episode, It's kind of hard for me to feel for him considering all the hideous things he has done.

Shinobu continues to be scary in a weird way. And I can't describe in words how cute Nezuko was while she was running away.

Sep 1, 11:23 PM

Nezukoooooooooo <3.
I also like Shinobu. Her voice is music to my ears.
Modified by Erika___, Sep 3, 7:32 AM

Sep 4, 10:06 AM
This episode was cute actually. I mean, Rui's story was really sad of course.

So Shinobu and Tomioka are on par and would have fought a bloody battle if that crow didn't speak... Good timing crow.

Also Tomioka is shy and akward with girls. Cute.

Sep 5, 12:21 AM
Tomioka's reactions xD Btw, Rui, if Muzan's mouth is moving he's lying... probably.

The Hashiras and organization seem to be overreacting big time. Nezuko hasn't killed anyone and she runs away from humans. Then again it's not like Tanjiro had much time to talk to them since he's just gotten orders from crows. Played for the drama and I'm along for the ride. :p

Sep 5, 10:27 PM
Rui was the first demon I actually felt bad for. His story was spun in such an interesting way with a backstory that truly offers insight into the cold and violent world of KnY.
I was extremely hyped to see Giyu face off against Shinobu but I had a feeling they weren't going to let us in on a Hashira v Hashira fight so early on in the series.
Introduced to some high ranking Demon Slayers at the end of this episode! Only a handful of episodes remaining in this cour and it feels like KnY is just getting started!

Sep 6, 5:58 AM

It's really hard to hate the demons. Even though they're evil you can't help but sympathize with them in the end. Well yeah, Muzan is the who should be hated, not the others.

Sep 7, 11:30 AM

Smol Nezuko sums this episode.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."

Sep 8, 9:17 AM

Rui's end was quite emotional.

I've heard a lot about Kanao and am already liking her. The supporting cast in this show is great. Hopefully we got to see them a lot.

Sep 9, 11:43 AM

Boy, what a hamfisted backstory it was. I felt sorry for parents but Rui was a piece of shit through and through. Not every has to have tragic story from its human past, some can be just evil. No need to force cringe like that.
Ii tenki desu ne...

Sep 28, 4:27 PM

i feel empathy for rui and his weak body, but other than that, everything i just can't feel empathy for him. he still killed and is a horrible person.

Sep 30, 1:07 PM

Nezuko running is pretty cute indeed.
Tomioka Giyuu's expressions continue to be awesome
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?

Sep 30, 1:53 PM
私は 愛し てる僕のヒーローアカ

Small Nezuko is so little and cute.And the sounds she's making are cute :( .Oh and btw,yea "wake up Tanjiro,the best swordmans are in fron of you".
Also I kinda hate Shinobu now.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Oct 1, 4:28 AM

Wow that ending, we're finally gonna meet all the elites
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.

Oct 11, 10:47 PM

small Nezuko is so KAWAII!!!!

Oct 16, 5:25 AM
NTR ♥

That is a lot of Hashiras,

But Chibi Nezukooooo

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]