Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2019 3:25 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Hello, users! I'm a really weird person.
I'm also very much of a weeb.
I watched Dr. Stone like quite a few people, I hope?
And then, how one had calculated during millennia struck me.
And then, the idea of counting while thinking hatched in my mind.
Because I philosophy much.
And also because I want to learn to be patient.
As of now, I started adopting a rule while watching anime.
Just so I give fairness to a show, whenever I am bored, I start counting.
I count a hundred units. Sometimes, my heartbeat is the basis.
It's useful for times the anime is boring.
Then, I stop counting units when the scene gets interesting.
Do you think anime watching rules could use counting?

Aug 23, 2019 4:49 PM

Jun 2017
This is weird. Only thing comes to my mind is I drop an anime if it feel like that
Aug 23, 2019 4:51 PM

May 2009
I'm generally too distracted to count, since I'm too busy enjoying the show, or I'm too busy feeling annoyed by the show.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 23, 2019 4:58 PM
Oct 2018
Sounds fun tbh. I'll give it a try. 30
--
Aug 23, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2019
But then if you are bored and start counting, don't you lose focus on the anime? Doesn't that make you lose interest in the anime even more and stops you from enjoying an anime as much as you could've?

I feel like what you're doing is a bad habit, I do sometimes get distracted when I'm bored from watching anime, but then I decide to keep focus until the episode finish and just take a break so I don't "lose content" by doing something else (random thoughts, check messages, watch outside by my window, etc.)

I do not think it'd be a good idea to do that.

Also don't call yourself a weird person and a weeb, it makes you lose credibility.
Aug 23, 2019 5:10 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@BiDiGiN I do not believe credibility to be an everyday necessity online. I mean, I'm not running for presidency, just showcasing a way I consume anime.
From my point of view, it did not feel like such a bad idea. Eventually, I'll count thirdy units orderly then get drawn in the anime because a replica was interesting, or if the sounds get a bit more agitated I'll pay some heed. "Losing content" doesn't feel such a loss to me, in the end I won't miss the big order of things.
It stops me not from enjoying an anime as much as I could've, since it's mostly about getting drawn into it again. A way to oblige my mind. Generally, the anime was boring to begin with.
EmiliaHoarfrostAug 23, 2019 5:26 PM

Aug 23, 2019 5:26 PM

Jan 2013
No, I don't count while watching anime.
Aug 23, 2019 5:36 PM

Jul 2019
It personally just made me cringe and you're not running for president but to some degree it made me lose respect towards you. You replied pretty well though so I suppose you really did mean to showcase a way you watch anime.

Anyways, I realized taking a break after an episode isn't really a solution to your problem as Dr. Stone is airing, so the problem is you get bored during the episode.

The problem here with counting is you are aware the anime is boring and wanting to keep in going even though you don't like it makes you dislike it even more. I didn't convey it really well in first post but "lose content" does contain "lose enjoyment" in a certain way.

A good alternative (imo) would be to drink or eat so you do focus on something else than simply watching anime which makes it less boring (if it was to begin with) but doesn't make you totally aware it is boring.

Also I've been really distracted by the boring (and bad, actually only bad) 2nd season of Kuroko no Basket and by the end of it I realized that I didn't enjoy what the build-ups led up to because I'd get distracted. This may be a precise example but when I realized it, I started applying the "after-episode break" rule.

In the end I kind of understand you and I still think it is a great initiative as I don't like dropping by boredom. This is a great thread I hope it gets more discussion.
Aug 23, 2019 5:54 PM

May 2014
I just drop the anime. I shouldn't have to fight through my boredom by counting. Watching anime is supposed to be enjoyable, for me anyway.
Aug 23, 2019 6:05 PM
Sep 2018
Nope my brain is on autopilot while watching anime but it does involve overthinking if the anime is my jam or not
Aug 23, 2019 6:23 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@BiDiGiN If you want to understand a bit more how I watch anime as of recently, it's pretty simple, and yet a bit more of a personal kind of thing.
I do force myself to watch anime, because I seek a few things: one being, at last watching my 300th completed anime, and making it a meaningful watch. Just a milestone collection...
Also, as I focus since middle school years at writing, it permits me to watch through shows and catch up with: different sources of inspiration, different potential tropes, or even permits me to analyse the plot, story, characters...
But, truly, this is more of a way to live I try experimenting with this new method. As I tend to philosophy, to ponder on a few sciences as well, I wonder how counting can make one's time perception change. Or how meaningful of a part of our brain does counting occupy. If it changes cognition capability, if it takes our mind away from emotions, if we can regulate our respiration unconsciously that way......

Aug 23, 2019 6:36 PM

Feb 2018
I always use that method when I'm waiting for something that takes a long time, anything. It really works to get more patience. But for a boring anime there is the desperate "speed x2" technique.
Aug 23, 2019 6:49 PM

Nov 2011
I never did that thing. But I am afraid is that something like "I will count to ten, if you don't say where it is, I will fire." by many villains in fiction ?
It's not necessarily a bad thing of course, but when I count I usually just use clock or timer rather than manually counting. And there is a "timer" in anime, until the end of the episode for example.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 23, 2019 9:42 PM

Oct 2010
Even if I'm bored, I find some hot anime girl on the screen or the backgrounds, I can't count and watch the anime in the same time.
Aug 24, 2019 2:39 AM

Dec 2018
I though multitasking is a myth but apparently not for you lol. Why are you counting while watching again? Is the show that boring?

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Aug 24, 2019 3:23 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@Catalano See Mukashi? Is there a hot anime girl?
@iLbcoVE It's also a cognitive experiment.

Aug 24, 2019 3:30 AM

Oct 2010
Lolsebca said:
@Catalano See Mukashi? Is there a hot anime girl?

I won't watch an anime if there aren't hot anime girls, but if the synopsis intrigues me I won't care about it, that means the story will keep me tuned.
Aug 24, 2019 3:31 AM
Aug 2019
Jeusus Christ what the fuck is wrong with you.
Aug 24, 2019 3:52 AM

Apr 2017
I either put it on increased speed (usually around 1.5x if it's dragging) or just drop the anime. No point in forcing myself to suffer through something I'm not getting enjoyment out of (unless I'm in a particularly masochistic mood, I guess).
Aug 24, 2019 3:54 AM

May 2018
I was counting the "UMU" in Fate/Extra: Last Encore. Didn't helped. Dropped it after 6 episodes.
Aug 24, 2019 4:04 AM

Jul 2015
I can't believe there are people counting while watching anime lmao. How many units do you count in one episode? Just curious

Aug 24, 2019 4:12 AM
Dec 2017
Nope, counting while watching anime is already complicated for me... Welp (shrug)
Aug 24, 2019 4:24 AM

Feb 2010
I don't think distracting yourself and not paying attention to the show is a helpful thing to do. It'll just make it even less likely that you get interested again since it shifts your attention and removes any immersion that might have still existed.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 24, 2019 4:33 AM

Nov 2010
I don't see fun in that, i rather browse social media
Aug 24, 2019 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
If it's that hard to focus on anime maybe you shouldn't watch.
Aug 24, 2019 8:07 AM

Jan 2019
Well, if I was that bored while watching an anime then I would drop it.
Aug 25, 2019 1:28 AM
Aug 2018
Lolsebca said:
Hello, users! I'm a really weird person.
I'm also very much of a weeb.
I watched Dr. Stone like quite a few people, I hope?
And then, how one had calculated during millennia struck me.
And then, the idea of counting while thinking hatched in my mind.
Because I philosophy much.
And also because I want to learn to be patient.
As of now, I started adopting a rule while watching anime.
Just so I give fairness to a show, whenever I am bored, I start counting.
I count a hundred units. Sometimes, my heartbeat is the basis.
It's useful for times the anime is boring.
Then, I stop counting units when the scene gets interesting.
Do you think anime watching rules could use counting?

Euh non. Je pense que c'est une preuve d'investissement, de passion que de regarder l'animé avec attention jusqu'au bout (si de toute façon tu comptes le finir), même s'il est ennuyant, au dela du simple fait de manquer des informartions.
Aug 25, 2019 4:51 AM

Jan 2018
pandemonium91 said:
I either put it on increased speed (usually around 1.5x if it's dragging) or just drop the anime. No point in forcing myself to suffer through something I'm not getting enjoyment out of (unless I'm in a particularly masochistic mood, I guess).

This person knows what's up. In the critical moment of hitpoint dealt to your remaining attention span, full speed ahead! x4 Darling in the franxx spaceship!
Aug 25, 2019 4:56 AM

Aug 2018
My ADHD wouldnt allow me to do anything like that while watching anime, especially in less interesting scenes where i can lose concentration in whats happening for a sec
Aug 25, 2019 5:00 AM
Dec 2013
If it bores me i drop it straight away..

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 39 minutes ago

13 by Litane4 »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 52 minutes ago

2 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 5 hours ago

27 by Masterbos175 »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

77 by Jutrio »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

212 by Maumuu »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.