Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 23, 2019 9:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, Yuki's fanclub is back. I almost forgot about them Motoko is such a fangirl. Not a fan of Makoto but she brings in a lot of humor. That jealousy in her head is never ending.

A bit weird that she is hanging out with Saki though. I mean, Saki of all people lol. Funny episode.

Aug 23, 2019 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
This was a fun episode compared to the others.
So there is a fanclub for Yuki.

Loved Saki's little brother when he scared those three girls when he mentioned their names.

Aug 23, 2019 10:41 AM

Jan 2018
This episode was such a fun one! Enjoyed it as much as the original one! As always, this scene killed me with laughter!

Aug 23, 2019 11:28 AM

May 2015
"I find my heart beginning to race as I'm surrounded by older women"

Best line in the episode.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
Aug 23, 2019 11:35 AM

Sep 2015
I enjoyed this episode. It’s was a lot of fun, & I think the girls are a little less annoying here then they were in the ‘01 anime.

Megumi is definitely the best little brother! Him and Hana’s relationship is really sweet.

I’m really excited for next week! I think it’s gonna be
Aug 23, 2019 11:36 AM
May 2017
Saki is life. Saki is love <3
Aug 23, 2019 11:39 AM

Feb 2018
Hopefully Motoko heeds Hana-chan's little brother's words and dials it back. I doubt Yuki is interested in a Yandere.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 23, 2019 11:43 AM
Sep 2015
Army of girls overidolize one boy is so 20 years ago, this part should be modernized a lot. Yuki doesn't worth that much. At least it resolved nicely.
Aug 23, 2019 11:46 AM

May 2015
Nice to see another episode that isn't focused on someone from Souma family. It was pretty fun and I like Hanajima even more now, she's cool and her brother spoke wisely as well. I hope those girls will get some development too, what they are doing is pretty sad actually. While it's a nice comic relief theme their behaviour is kinda miserable.
Aug 23, 2019 12:08 PM

Sep 2017
That was a fun episode indeed !

Megumi is as awesome as his Saki, they're really similar :')
DamuzenAug 23, 2019 12:16 PM
Aug 23, 2019 12:55 PM

Nov 2010
phantomfandom said:
Army of girls overidolize one boy is so 20 years ago, this part should be modernized a lot. Yuki doesn't worth that much. At least it resolved nicely.

I guess you haven't seen kpop fandoms
Aug 23, 2019 1:01 PM

Mar 2017
Well that wasn't the best episode - it didn't really provide anything to the story or characters - but i enjoyed getting to see Hanajima's little brother. He seems cool... like a tiny male version of Hanajima haha

It made me laugh so much when he said about his heart beating fast being surrounded by a group of older women haha
Aug 23, 2019 1:04 PM

Sep 2011
I had almost forgotten about the Yuki Fan Club, but I'm glad those girls provided us with a Hana-chan episode, she is definitely between my favorites, and I loved it. Her younger brother Megumi is great too. xD Well, those girls were trying to get Hana-chan out of the picture so they could hit Tooru, but they ended up solidifying even more their bond. Hana-chan, who is also only human, was feeling jealous because Tooru isn't spending as much time with her as before with the Soumas.

But her little brother's words, which weren't even directed at her, made she realize that this isn't really "right" or "fair." And I think she resigned herself to watch Tooru from a distance if it came to it. But Tooru still cares about her as she always did. Not that she doubted it or anything, but I'm sure that it's nice to feel reassured, and her smile was so bright and warm that I melted. I love these girls, I wish I could protect those I care about with waves too. xD And I love how she teased those girls with the curse, their next three days are going to be hell, they might even write a will. lol
Aug 23, 2019 1:21 PM
Feb 2019
This episode was a really nice breather after a series of episodes that were incredibly heavy, and although I really love those heavy episodes, its nice to have a break once in a while. Hanajima is a great character, the prince Yuki fanclub is funny as hell, and looking forward to the next episode as always.
Aug 23, 2019 2:18 PM

Feb 2014
The Yuki Fan Club girls were very determined to oust Hanajima, but their plan backfired as they only made the bond between Hanajima and Tohru even stronger.

Motoko's dream sequence was pretty funny, though. That,as well as her mind showing us what an evil Tohru looks like when she's smug, provided me with the laughter I needed from this amusing episode. Compared to the 2001 version, I feel that the fan club girls were a little less annoying and more amusing in the newer version.

And, of course, we can't forget how beautiful Hanajima's smile was near the end of the episode. That's another smile that needs to be protected at all costs. =3
Aug 23, 2019 2:19 PM

Sep 2008
This episode adapted Chapter 29 of the manga, being equivalent to episode 18 of the 2001 anime. A fair number of scenes in this episode were either added or extended to fill the runtime for it. Here were differences I spotted with this episode:

-Motoko’s nightmare scene with Saki was added for the anime.
-When Tohru stated she couldn’t visit Saki originally in the manga, she mentioned only Kisa was visiting her since Hiro had yet to be introduced at that point in the manga.
-The line of schoolgirls saluting before Yuki appeared in prince attire just as info on the Yuki Fan Club was about to be narrated got added for the anime. In said same scene, the rules for the Yuki Fan Club were more longer in the manga that include not stealing Yuki’s belongings, not going to his house, and how to address him depending on school seniority.
-Parts of Motoko and the Yuki Fan Club’s conversation about Tohru’s closeness to Yuki had some differences between the anime and manga.

• The anime included Motoko imagining Tohru with an evil face in believing she’s a witch.
  • Minami had a more angry facial expression in the manga.
  • The anime added Minami describing herself being affected by Saki’s denpa waves and being bedridden for a week because of them.
  • The declaration by the Yuki Fan Club was extended a bit for the anime.

-Megumi’s face peering out a window to observe Saki and the Yuki Fan Club was added for the anime.
-The Yuki Fan Club arriving in and scouring through Saki’s room was expanded a bit for the anime. This included the girls fearing tasting Saki’s tea, seeing all her informal attire and makeup accessories being black, and that she is an avid collector of shoujo manga.
-The table that Saki, Megumi, and the Yuki Fan Club eat on is rectangular in the manga, instead of being circular.
-The scene showing Motoko observing Tohru leaving school with Yuki and Kyo as she vents to Saki was added for the anime.
-Motoko’s second nightmare with Saki and Megumi was added for the anime.
-The Yuki Fan Club’s encounter with Saki and Tohru the following day at school was extended a bit for the anime to include the three girls feeling exhausted from lack of sleep.
Aug 23, 2019 2:24 PM

Dec 2018
phantomfandom said:

No need to really

Nice episode, but I want episode 23 already ><
Aug 23, 2019 2:48 PM

Oct 2017
Some annoying girls were at the spotlight and the first half was super annoying to watch but the later half was great. Saki and Megumi handled em quite well, loved to see Megumi scaring em.

Damn Saki's smile was really beautiful.
MegamiRemAug 25, 2019 5:20 AM
Aug 23, 2019 3:31 PM

Sep 2018
Damn Hana-chan and Megumi are such an amazing bro-sis combo......
well that's just my opinion.....
Aug 23, 2019 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
Gosh, Saki is so beautiful.

Megumi is so cute.

I love the deadpan manner the two of them have.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Aug 23, 2019 3:59 PM
Mar 2015
Always loved the Prince Yuki fan club
Aug 23, 2019 4:03 PM

Aug 2018
The Yuki Lovers sect : amazing thing is that they somehow all agree to not getting closer to him, as a proof of respect toward the others. Like it is so weird : you like someone but you also try to stay far from him...

Well they met weird people as well lol, Hanajima & her brother surely were the pair needed to scare those fan girls.
Aug 23, 2019 4:58 PM

Apr 2015
An episode centered a bit more on Hanajima. Love her character.

Fangirls/Fanboys can be a scary thing, this was no exception XD

It's a nice change of pace that we didn't actually see much of the Souma family this episode.
Aug 23, 2019 5:43 PM

Oct 2016
Not a bad episode overall, but it's probably my least favorite so far. I liked the morals of "you can't control someone you love" and "sometimes the idea of love does more harm than good, especially if one-sided". I also adored the moments Hanajima and her younger brother shared. They're so similar!

I hated the Yuki fangirls. Honestly, the stalker fan trope annoys me. Possessiveness isn't remotely charming or funny, but Hanajima and her brother put those losers in their place (hopefully).

I can't wait for the next episode!
Aug 23, 2019 5:49 PM

Jun 2014
Ok episode, but didn't expect it to adapt only 1 chapter from the manga (29). I really hope there will be 75 episodes, or they won't be able to adapt all chapters, and I can't think of any chapter I want to be omitted, because it's such a great manga. T___T

Looks like next episode is about Hanajima again, if it's her backstory, that would mean chapter 51, which would be a really big skip ahead. :O Hopefully the last 3 episodes will be the heaviest stuff from the old anime, which happened in the last 3 episodes.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Aug 23, 2019 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
Its good to see those girls again
Aug 23, 2019 6:52 PM

Jul 2017
Best girl gets her own episode!
All hail the Demon Queen!
D1tchd1ggerAug 23, 2019 7:06 PM
Aug 23, 2019 7:32 PM
Sep 2017
Hanajima and Megumi are both just awesome. Love them! Toooo funny about the curse!
Aug 23, 2019 8:36 PM

Oct 2011
KomaDoll said:
phantomfandom said:

HAHAHAHA BEST!!!! XDD
Aug 23, 2019 8:42 PM

Dec 2016
Hate sounding like a broken record, but this one's another episode that for me the 2001 version was miles better.

Although I did like how the 2019 adaptation did the gag of the girls reciting the rules of the Yuki fanclub and the cut where the narrator yells "don't get close to him you tramp" along with how the girls from the fan club are visualizing Hana's house as an old european house near a cementery.

The 2001 version had a very fascinating way of introducing the story of this episode as if it was recorded by the members of the Yuki fan club in an old handicam recorder, with TV scanlines in the final tape to give the vibe of a horror movie. I loved the original character Mai Goto because she brought variety to a club where Motoko, Minami & Mio all felt like the same character, plus Mai's design was quite different but still within of what a character in the series would look like.

The opening gag of the 4 girls bolting out of Hana's house completely terrified, it's shown in a hilarious way by doing the same shot with 3 different cuts from different angles

After the Yuki fan club had left Hana's house and Uo & Tohru arrive has posibly the most important scene in this episode, where Tohru shows up in a worried manner about Hana facing the troublesome girls from the fanclub. Even thought the animation is very limited, the small steps that Tohru takes at the entrance of Hana's house already gives the vibe of her worries, (in the 2019 version being just quick cuts with static characters doesn't give that kind of information until Uo tells Hana the reason why they are there). Hana untiing her braid does indeed look better animated in the 2019 version, but in the 2001 version the slow motion does add a lot of dramatism that feels just right at the moment. The track "Serenade" being played in the background while all this happens just makes the complete set of emotions for this long sequence.

Hana facing Yuki to acknowledge that he is just as important in Tohru's life as Hana is goes beyond of just a quick gag in Superdeformed style. I really love that choppy sequence in first person entering the classroom where Yuki is sitting alone while plenty of girls are just gazing at him.
KimurahAug 24, 2019 5:18 AM
Aug 23, 2019 9:05 PM

Mar 2018
Away from Drama again and bringing in some school life.
Yes I like it.

I guess those kinda fanclubs that want someone away from the picture, in this case Tohru, always have unrelateable stupid ideals and are rather annoying.. but that's what they are and without them such episodes would miss so I don't mind

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 23, 2019 9:16 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode.

I already loved Saki but after this episode, I love her even more. She's probably my favorite character in the series second to only Tohru I guess.

Megumi is awesome too, I love how him and Saki completely wrecked the Yuki-club. They just straight out destroyed those poor 3 girls. They're gonna have nightmares for the next 3 days.
I feel like the both of them totally planned it all from the beginning, especially when Saki warned the girls about not speaking their names.

That Saki smile gives me life. <3
Aug 23, 2019 11:19 PM

Nov 2018
Saki is likely my favorite in this show along with Haru (n then Tohru and Hatori. and possibly Kisa) and this was a very good episode. Her little brother is dark but mature, which is a nice combination.
Aug 23, 2019 11:24 PM

Jul 2017
I sense a wave...of the Yuki Fan Club.

Now again, haven't watched the 2001 equivalent so I can't judge based on past content and changes.

Probably quite eccentric that they managed to infiltrate Wave Girl Hanajima's house. Even her younger brother Megumi carries the same wavelength and emission as her. Too bad for them that they're oblivious to their goal, that Saki and Megumi picked up their objectives and quickly shot them down.

This was a satisfying episode from start to end, even though only 1 chapter is adapted. Pretty wholesome I'd say, appreciating Saki more now.
Aug 23, 2019 11:40 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, Hanajima is just too fabulous! And that precious smile!

She’s always been my 2nd-favourite character of the series and this episode just solidifies it! I was expecting to get another past adversary like with Uo-chan but this was another treat no doubt with some more of the glorious SOL bits!

“Well, you’ll find out in three days.” xD, what a thorough defeat for the Yuki fanclub. Dat last but their with Hanajima and Yuki was mad hilarious too, great to see!

Expected Tohru-kun to be the weakness but there’s nothing that can stop that, hahaha. Megumi (isn’t this normally a female’s name?) is just like his sister lol but he seems really caring and that’s very sweet to see! Some heart-throbbing words from the middle-schooler there and lol @ the flirting bit. Definitely hoping to see him around more often.

I wonder what the fanclub will be up to next. Will it be versus Uo-chan next lol?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 24, 2019 1:55 AM

Jul 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
Megumi (isn’t this normally a female’s name?)

Seems it is a boys name:
https://japanese-names.info/first_name/megumi/

But the kanji for his name only has one character:
(花島 恵, Hanajima Megumi)

Which doesn't appear on that list, but does on the girls list:
https://japanese-names.info/first_name/megumi-2/

I guess the mangaka went with it as having a boys name with 2 characters would spoil the gag of a character with a name meaning "blessing" who gives out curses 😄
Aug 24, 2019 1:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
D1tchd1gger said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
Megumi (isn’t this normally a female’s name?)

Seems it is a boys name:
https://japanese-names.info/first_name/megumi/

But the kanji for his name only has one character:
(花島 恵, Hanajima Megumi)

Which doesn't appear on that list, but does on the girls list:
https://japanese-names.info/first_name/megumi-2/

I guess the mangaka went with it as having a boys name with 2 characters would spoil the gag of a character with a name meaning "blessing" who gives out curses 😄

Ah, that's a cheeky move from the mangaka lol.
Thanks for sharing this by the way!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 24, 2019 2:15 AM

Feb 2014
Megumi dreams of older senpai's eh? XD
This episode was really fun to watch. Afterall those emotional arcs this one lightened up the mood a bit.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 24, 2019 5:28 AM

Sep 2011
Kind of another dud episode for me but it wasn't exactly bad, I just dont like the comedy in this series pretty much at all, it feels like its too loud and the punchlines are so obvious nothing really gets to catch you off guard. the saving grace of this episode is that I like Hanajima which partially makes up for the annoying trio of girls.

I do hope next episode will be more of a return to form for the series, I dont think its hurt the show much at all cause its negligible content overall but the past 3 episodes haven't done much for me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 24, 2019 6:47 AM

Jun 2013
Hanajima was the focus of today's episode and I love it. The episode itself was kind of meh but since I love Hanajima, it was good. She and her brother are pretty good-looking, imo. I want to see the rest of her family.

The Yuki fanclub is the most 90s trope thing ever. Of course, there are still "fanclubs" in manga/Anime nowadays but I've outgrown the trope. So that's why I don't like seeing those girls. Good thing, they're highly superstitious and think Hana-chan is the daughter of some demon lord.
臭い-
Aug 24, 2019 8:06 AM

Sep 2017
This was a really fun episode, but they still managed to get me in the feels when Tohru shows up at Hana's house and she gets all happy. Great ep.
Aug 24, 2019 11:26 AM
Jan 2019
It was a very funny episode, but with a thoughtful ending.He left me a new message, this time, about love:
"Do not forget that forcing your intense love into someone can be a burden or hurt them. Do not forget to respect their feelings and be considerate of them. Or else, they will end up hating you" -Megumi-
"When you appreciate someone, there may be times when it gets difficult, or you feel lonely, but it also brings happiness" -Hanajima-

Hanajime's brother, Megumi, is very mature for his age, I was surprised.
By the way, what kind of Tohru 2.0, was Motoko ?, Hahaha.
When the narrator said "Do not approach him secretly, cat thief!", I could not stop laughing.LOL 😂.
Hanajime looked so beautiful when she smiled ... and she likes shojo manga, what a surprise.I wonder if they really will have supernatural powers, hahaha.
Aug 24, 2019 1:48 PM

Jul 2016
The "huge group of girls idolizing one single boy" trope reminds me so much of "Kimi ni Todoke" but at least, I'm glad said trope is used here solely for comedy purpose.

Overall, it was another fantastic episode. It was a nice change of pace after the previous ones being a bit more "heavy" in terms of storyline and drama. Not to mention also that the fact of it being focused mainly on Hana-chan, made me enjoy the episode even more. She and Arisa are such a lovable pair of side characters. I really love them.

I also found Megumi's character to be rather entertaining. The bond he has with her sister is really sweet to watch so I hope their relationship can receive more focus later on.

As a whole, I really loved how funny and heartwarming this episode was. Really looking forward to the next one! Especially even more since it will have Hana-chan as the focus again.
Aug 24, 2019 3:41 PM

Oct 2011
Hanajima's smile is so cute
Aug 24, 2019 6:02 PM

Apr 2012
KomaDoll said:
phantomfandom said:

Teen star's fangirling is one thing, but I still don’t understand where so many SJW come from in modern fandom of KPOP groups. They will directly tell you about their hatred of men or the female sexualization, but at the same time they adore both female and male groups that appeal to the audience’s simplest fetishes. It is simply illogical.

@Bibimbapski I do not understand why you think that fangirls is some kind of "trope". Both male and female fans in real life are often much, much more toxic and insane than a regular anime even can shows.
Aug 24, 2019 6:05 PM

Jan 2010
My health has been restored 100%

Aug 24, 2019 7:56 PM

Nov 2014
Those girls never thought that while not allowing any girls to be close to Yuki, they're also making sure he can't make friends like normal people can. That seclusion is not fun and it's not something they should make the person they love go through.

just realized those bottom right novels are written by Shigure lolol
ttcchenAug 24, 2019 8:01 PM
Aug 24, 2019 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
So much love and affection, they basically worship Yuki. Are they right in the head? :o doesnt look like it.

But still, it was a fun episode with an underlying theme teaching us what love truly is.
Aug 24, 2019 8:27 PM

Jun 2013
RobertBobert said:
KomaDoll said:

Teen star's fangirling is one thing, but I still don’t understand where so many SJW come from in modern fandom of KPOP groups. They will directly tell you about their hatred of men or the female sexualization, but at the same time they adore both female and male groups that appeal to the audience’s simplest fetishes. It is simply illogical.

@Bibimbapski I do not understand why you think that fangirls is some kind of "trope". Both male and female fans in real life are often much, much more toxic and insane than a regular anime even can shows.

I know that. I lived in both Japan and South Korea, I know how toxic fans and stalkers in both countries can be and even outside East Asia. I think you're taking my comment way too personally. Even if REAL LIFE fans can be toxic, it doesn't mean I can't criticize or give my opinion about fictional character or Anime/manga. I am simply tired of seeing crazed fan clubs in Anime. It's more common in shoujo than other genres though. It's my prerogative to comment about anything in any series just like it is yours and just like it is anyone's.
臭い-
Aug 24, 2019 8:31 PM

Apr 2012
Bibimbapski said:
RobertBobert said:

I know that. I lived in both Japan and South Korea, I know how toxic fans and stalkers in both countries can be and even outside East Asia. I think you're taking my comment way too personally. Even if REAL LIFE fans can be toxic, it doesn't mean I can't criticize or give my opinion about fictional character or Anime/manga. I am simply tired of seeing crazed fan clubs in Anime. It's more common in shoujo than other genres though. It's my prerogative to comment about anything in any series just like it is yours and just like it is anyone's.

You say so, as if I'm trying to forbid you something or indicate what and how to write. I just expressed my opinion that this element still reflects the real world quite well, and therefore personally I don't see a problem with this.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.