Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 2008 2:32 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this show got a lot better once they abandoned any connection to reality ;)
Apr 7, 2009 9:46 AM

Mar 2009
Funniest episode so far. I laughed so much. The elephants from hell were a great idea very original and funny.

Apr 14, 2009 8:36 PM

Aug 2008
Elephants were hilarious. The body switching was amazing and seems to be something done more in fanfiction than actual anime. It worked very well in this episode. Just very funny overall.
Aug 28, 2009 8:21 PM

Aug 2008
Loved it when Anthy's body smacked a b-word up.

The switcheroo was interesting.

I really liked this episode because of the I-forgot-how-to-spell-the-green-haired-guy's-name parts.
Sep 17, 2009 2:10 AM

Aug 2008
Seeing Utena in the gentle himemiya form was amazing! I could picture her like that!

Oct 4, 2009 12:53 PM

Apr 2009
WTF was it with the elephants in this episode?
Apr 1, 2010 1:07 AM

May 2009
- I'm pretty sure the elephants were all about establishing how disconnected Ohtori is to the rest of the world. Maybe that's just me, though. But still, weird.

- Utena was a bit insensitive when telling Anthy she didn't wanna get stuck in that body or be a sacrifice to the Rose-something.

- Nanami being yellled at by Touga while doing the crazy Megumi laugh made me lol.

More ramblings regarding the way I view this show as I rewatch it, so don't bother reading if you don't want the show spoiled.
Oct 15, 2010 3:39 AM

Mar 2010
Now that was a messed-up episode. I enjoyed it from the beginning till the end. I hope this absurd humour will be continued in the next eps.
Nov 11, 2010 4:02 PM

Aug 2009
Ahhh, that was so enjoyable~
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Mar 10, 2011 10:16 PM
Jul 2010
Terrible episode taken by itself, but down the line I see some things becoming more relavent.

Anthy has yet again shown herself to be manipulative, first baiting Micky with the tutor sessions and some choice words, then using the rose to spark Juri's motivation. And now, we know she keeps playing Saionji with the diary. I suspect she's trying to craft a harem while not only maintaining the image of an innocent girl, but actively invoking it.
Apr 9, 2011 7:53 AM

Mar 2011
lol
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Jul 3, 2011 9:56 PM

Jun 2009
Luthimal said:
Terrible episode taken by itself, but down the line I see some things becoming more relavent.

Anthy has yet again shown herself to be manipulative, first baiting Micky with the tutor sessions and some choice words, then using the rose to spark Juri's motivation. And now, we know she keeps playing Saionji with the diary. I suspect she's trying to craft a harem while not only maintaining the image of an innocent girl, but actively invoking it.

That's kind of interesting... I never thought of it that way.

As far as the episode, it was pretty amusing especially with the random elephant and so on. But, not a great episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 22, 2011 5:06 PM
Nov 2010
Surfing elephants! :D:D:D

Jul 26, 2011 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
One of my favorite Utena episodes. The body switch, Utena's misunderstanding when Saionji was unbuttoning his shirt (loved his evil laugh when he trapped her with him which added to the tense mood), the exchange diary, and all that random elephant craziness made this episode truly a classic.

I'm surprised to see that some people criticize these humorous, detached-from-the-main-stroyline episodes for being what they are. Even as stand-alone episodes, the insanity, humor and the well-played randomness make these episodes a winner, and reveal a few sides of the characters that we did't know about.
removed-userJul 26, 2011 6:32 AM
Jul 28, 2011 9:58 AM

Jan 2011
even in India, the girls are wearing school uniforms... and the elephants are so powerful^^

the ending just match what those shadows girls said
Aug 4, 2011 2:12 PM

Feb 2009
Surfing elephants. I haven't had such a good laugh in a while. Thank you, Kiryuu Nanami!
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Oct 30, 2011 7:04 AM

Mar 2010
Saionji mouse/monkey was the best~xD

Oct 31, 2011 11:14 PM

Nov 2007
The India scenes were just hilarious <3 Hahaha.

Anthy is as annoying as ever. UGH. HATE.

And Utena is as amazing as ever. Poor Saionji :P
Chu-Chu with green hair is just too cute.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Nov 24, 2011 10:22 PM

Mar 2009
Raven_Shinobi said:

I'm surprised to see that some people criticize these humorous, detached-from-the-main-stroyline episodes for being what they are. Even as stand-alone episodes, the insanity, humor and the well-played randomness make these episodes a winner, and reveal a few sides of the characters that we did't know about.

Agreed. The humor is handled very well, and based on the preview, I'd say this is the calm before the storm.
Dec 22, 2011 11:08 PM

Jul 2011
wth, the damn preview somewhat ruined this episode by saying that they switched bodies (not that bad of a spoiler I guess, but still). But eh, this was ok, but I don't see how surfing elephants (as awesome as they are) are relevant to the plot.
Dec 23, 2011 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
Jlopes3 said:
wth, the damn preview somewhat ruined this episode by saying that they switched bodies (not that bad of a spoiler I guess, but still). But eh, this was ok, but I don't see how surfing elephants (as awesome as they are) are relevant to the plot.

Utena and Anthy switch bodies from the get go, so it was hardly a spoiler; the preview had more of an effect to "how did that happen?" The fact that it was the curry and then Anthy's cooking was the real twist behind it.

This episode was mostly a break from the main storyline and everything that happens, no matter how random it is, is merely for humor purposes. There will be a few more episodes like this one, so it's better to just sit back and have fun. Actually, there will be a later episode that sheds more light on a few things that happened behind the scenes of this one.

Dec 23, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2009
Raven_Shinobi said:

Holy shit, i never made that connection. That's kind of cool.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 23, 2011 8:57 PM

Jul 2011
Raven_Shinobi said:
Jlopes3 said:

Utena and Anthy switch bodies from the get go, so it was hardly a spoiler; the preview had more of an effect to "how did that happen?" The fact that it was the curry and then Anthy's cooking was the real twist behind it.

This episode was mostly a break from the main storyline and everything that happens, no matter how random it is, is merely for humor purposes. There will be a few more episodes like this one, so it's better to just sit back and have fun. Actually, there will be a later episode that sheds more light on a few things that happened behind the scenes of this one.

Yeah I can't tell when something is filler or not in a series such as Utena (where I hear symbolism runs rampant) and I realize that now (also very tempted to check out that spoiler, but I'll refrain).

Also, fun fact about this episode was that this episode was originally supposed to be episode 6 and episode 6 was supposed to be episode 8. They contacted an outside studio to create the curry ep, but there were significant delays, so they just decided to swap what was supposed to be episode 6 with what was supposed to be episode 8.
Dec 23, 2011 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Jlopes3 said:

Yeah I can't tell when something is filler or not in a series such as Utena (where I hear symbolism runs rampant) and I realize that now (also very tempted to check out that spoiler, but I'll refrain).

You can check the spoiler after finishing Ep 24 (another filler that makes a bit of sense of all the previous fillers)

And interesting tidbit about Ep 6&8, being a diehard Utena fan I've never heard of this before XD Was it mentioned in the booklet that came with the Nozomi boxset?
Dec 24, 2011 9:22 PM

Jul 2011
Raven_Shinobi said:
Jlopes3 said:

You can check the spoiler after finishing Ep 24 (another filler that makes a bit of sense of all the previous fillers)

And interesting tidbit about Ep 6&8, being a diehard Utena fan I've never heard of this before XD Was it mentioned in the booklet that came with the Nozomi boxset?

Yeah, there's all kind of good stuff in those books, I would say if you're a die hard fan of Utena it would be a great buy (and they are only 27.49 on rightstuf with the third set being 59.99 (and you can get it for 54.00 if you put in the code newyear2012)). If I remember, I'll post some more things in the books in these discussions.
Dec 25, 2011 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
I already got both the Student Council and Black Rose collection and am currently waiting for the Akio/Appocalypse with my Duelist ring XD

I read a bit of the booklets, they are quite informative. I wish if Nozomi would also license the gorgeous soundtrack boxset that was released in Japan some years ago :(

http://www.amazon.co.jp/少女革命ウテナ-コンプリートCD-BOX-TVサントラ/dp/B001AAZ3V0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1324820164&sr=8-8
Dec 26, 2011 12:11 AM

Jul 2011
Yeah I'm waiting on the black rose and the apocalypse sagas (and the duelists ring as well) to continue the series. I spent a little over $100 dollars on this series and i haven't even seen it yet, but from everything I've read and heard I know this is something I'll like and I would say so far so good (and I figured if worst came to worst I could sell them on ebay and only lose a little bit of cash). But, Iv'e heard that the black rose collection (package) seems to be too large for what it holds, maybe they tried to get the rights to the soundtrack and couldn't realistically get them. They could be trying to get that whole soundtrack boxset and release it, but I feel as if sound CDs are always a risky release in the U.S., but who knows maybe they'll give it a go.
Apr 15, 2012 7:28 PM

Dec 2009
Oh man, they sure are not afraid of repeating the same joke over and over lol but that was hilarious anyway! What I love about this anime is that some parts of the plot are very serious but the humor is so cartoon-like and surreal lol great episode.
Jul 26, 2012 5:17 AM
Jan 2012
Surfing elephants + Monkey Saionji = epic xD
Sep 4, 2012 9:29 PM

Apr 2012
Well, not much to be said about this episode that hasn't already been addressed. It was a pretty lighthearted and overall decent episode. The body switching was interesting but the elephants were far and away the best part of the episode.
Sep 12, 2012 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
Funniest episode so far, hands down. The elephants along with Chuu Chuu and Saionji switching places killed me.
Feb 5, 2013 12:55 PM

Oct 2011
Hilarious episode. I hope for more episodes like this to mix it up from time to time.
Feb 8, 2013 12:17 AM

Aug 2007
This was the best non-duelist episode so far.
It made me laugh and feel bad for Saionji.
...I almost wish Saionji and Chu Chu were switched for a longer part of the episode, it killed me haha xDD

Jul 17, 2013 5:50 PM
Apr 2011
funny episode.

interesting seeing anthy get slapped yet again but actually react. really highlights the difference between utena and anthy. it seems like anthy doesn't have much of an ego or will of her own. she went along with saionji's diary because he willed it and because utena didn't tell her not to. i wonder what other kind of dangerous things she'd go along with if people asked her to?
Sep 6, 2013 2:07 AM

Aug 2012
I thought the diary part was the funniest.
Nov 22, 2013 10:56 AM

Nov 2010
I love Utena's reaction when she misunderstood Saionji X'D How she just blurts out "L-Love? EXPLORE!?" and then the cutest "KYAAA~" ever XD
Jan 15, 2014 8:04 PM

Dec 2007
Saionji can just die.

Surfing elephants are my favorite thing ever
Ich verstehe nicht
Jan 28, 2014 2:37 AM

Nov 2011
very funny episode..
I would upped the score if Saionji and Chuu Chuu kept switching bodies, lol
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 18, 2014 6:41 AM
Nov 2013
Somehow I am liking this show a lot more after it has detached from reality. And somehow the less logical and nonsensical it is the more logical and understandable the show. Time to throw reality out of the window!
Dec 13, 2014 11:28 PM

Sep 2014
This episode was freaking hilarious. It was so funny seeing Utena being girly. And those elephants!!!

"The fact is that our plans may have been ruined by a cup of curry."
lmao
Dec 31, 2014 4:42 AM

Sep 2013
When I started this show, I had no idea it would have random comedy like this. Not that I'm complaining, it's so stupid it's actually quite funny. Gintama level, almost.
Mar 30, 2015 7:40 PM

Oct 2013
lmao them bodie switches best episode sooo far welll funniest
[/quote]
Jul 8, 2015 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
"So weird it's good" is better than "so mediocre it's bad" but man, this was jerky. That sports montage seemed to come out of nowhere. The elephant stuff was funny. I hoped Anthy was finally showing some backbone but she's still acting like a sexist's generic female archetype. They're doing all this filler comedy stuff without solidly establishing the main idea of the show beyond "we're fighting over this girl... because. (insert cool phrases)" It's unbalanced and strange but maybe it's intentional or redeemed somehow. I want to believe. It's hard to psych myself up to watch more though. It seems like they don't know what they're doing. I'm not sure whether the roses symbolize lust or innocent love/feelings but I'm swaying towards the latter after this episode.
Jul 9, 2015 5:08 PM

Sep 2012
I honestly kind of like how they space out the duels and more substantive episodes with weird shit like this.
Dec 25, 2015 1:11 PM

Aug 2014
lol those elephants were simply hilarious XD Especially when they were surfing lmao.
Feb 13, 2016 8:06 PM

Aug 2014
I didn't expect Nanami to be such a funny character, or should i say a "joke" xD
Feb 22, 2016 1:09 AM

Apr 2013
All I have to say about this is that Anthy is as annoying as ever. Surprisingly, though, I say that in a good way. It reminds me of the first episode where she stops calling Saionji 'Saionji-sama' and instead 'Saionji-senpai' as if to taunt him. She's clearly not as clueless as she appears to be. One thing that amused me in a previous episode was when she was singing a song about 'rabbits dancing around', as if it was amusing to watch everyone dance to her tune.

The Rose Bride, someone who has no power, controls everything.
Mar 13, 2016 9:09 PM
Oct 2015
Ok I'm sold. I didn't get the hype when I watched episode one but slowly started to like it as I continued to watch. This shit tho, this shit will have me praise it for the rest of my life. sufrboads + elephants= happy anime viewer
Jun 26, 2016 3:28 AM

Sep 2015
Can't exactly say I was too keen on this episode.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jul 30, 2016 9:13 PM

Sep 2012
First boxing kangaroos, now surfing elephants.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.