Forums
New
Aug 21, 2019 12:26 PM

Apr 2011
INFORMATION SECURED BY NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY
ValtElfMar 3, 2021 12:28 PM
Aug 21, 2019 12:31 PM

Aug 2012
A good person is a person who does not believe that fucking 12 year olds is okay. That's about it really.

On the other hand, most people hover over your second stage. The rest is mostly niche.
Aug 21, 2019 1:01 PM

Feb 2018
would say for his actions, but that may change from one moment to another. Therefore it takes longer to know. Hey, I'm not a psychologist.
Most people who claim to be morally correct are nothing more than hypocritical double moral who only use their sense of rightness when it suits them.
Aug 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Nov 2017
I just pay attention to how they treat others. Especially the ones they don't know, need to impress, and will most likely never see again (waiters, movie attendants, people online, people different from them, etc.)

They can say what their values are, but eventually their actions will either support or contradict them.

Iyam, genuine, secure and kind people don't have a need to make others feel bad or put them down unprovoked. If they're the type to become negative or lash out easily toward others, it's likely they're insecure. Thankfully, insecurity is a correctable position, but it's something they need to be fully aware of. Being a good person is a choice and it takes a conscious effort. It's recognizing your own faults and by doing so, empathizing with the struggles of those around you
Aug 21, 2019 1:21 PM

Mar 2014
i always see others as a good person first until something proves to me they're not. and i think judging someone from their behavior is not quite right to do cuz behavior/habit is something someone do unconsciously. anything someone do without consciousness can't be judge wrong or right. so to determine someone is good or bad person for me is through the actions that they do consciously.
Aug 21, 2019 1:28 PM

Oct 2015
Yarub said:
A good person is a person who does not believe that fucking 12 year olds is okay. That's about it really.

On the other hand, most people hover over your second stage. The rest is mostly niche.

Oh no, I can't resist the temptation of mentioning a certain 9-year-old-loving historical figure who many people consider as a paragon of virtue. Forgive me I'm too weak-willed.

OT:
If I was able to recognize them right away life would be a lot easier.

But well, a good indicator is when they do something nice even when they wouldn't lose anything by not doing it. Like returning extra change cashier accidentally gave you or offering tissues to someone who's sniffing without them asking for it. I once knew a guy who quickened his steps when he noticed cashier gave him 20(country's currency) extra so that he'd get away before he realized it. The guy was one of the biggest assholes I knew.
Auron_Aug 21, 2019 1:35 PM
Aug 21, 2019 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
By the shape of their ass. A firm and tight booty is a person I want to be friends with.
Aug 21, 2019 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
I tend to see how they treat others.

If they pass that, I consider them good people if they aren't:

Homophobic, anti queer anything, sexist, racist, pompous rich people who believe they have a right to everything, pedophilic,or those people who abuse anymals.
Aug 21, 2019 1:57 PM

Dec 2012
I'm gonna hand this one over to my main man Armin:
Aug 21, 2019 1:59 PM

Feb 2019
for me, its just a matter if they are self-critical and have reality checks. if they are rich for example, he/she still keeps track of how other people are doing, instead of focusing only in themselves.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2019 2:10 PM

Oct 2017
From how they act, react, and treat others, especially strangers, in general.
I wouldn't really like them if they're phobic of certain types of people or if they're clingy, ungrateful and narcissistic.
Aug 21, 2019 2:43 PM

Jul 2007
I don't because I don't bother taking the time to meet new people or getting to know them.

In the off-chance that I do, I suppose it would involve drearily assessing their previous actions and coming to a conclusion based on that whether or not they are 'good'. Couldn't care less if they are as long as they're enjoyable to be around.
Aug 21, 2019 3:39 PM
Feb 2017
Kind gestures, helping out other people even if it goes out of their way, letting other people go first, treating others the way they want to be treated (that applies to people they are against too).

However a person may appear on the outside as good, but have malicious intentions or is just doing to gain the upper hand. That's where integrity comes in, and then it's up to whether they truly are a good person or not. Not everyone can put up the charade forever though.

There's big a difference between doing good and living to be good.
MegaStrideAug 21, 2019 4:06 PM
Aug 21, 2019 4:18 PM

Apr 2019
Flevalt said:

"how do you recognize a person that is to your subjective liking?"

I will automatically like a person who is accepting of everyone with righteous judgment
Meaning, a person who accepts everyone for who they are no matter the race, past, wealth, looks, opinion, beliefs, etc.
BUT NOT tolerating the wrongful act that they do.

Flevalt said:

someone who is intolerable in your eyes?

A bigot

Aug 21, 2019 5:24 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
1. Comes off as genuinely nice and pleasant to talk to.
2. Doesn't want anything to do with outrage culture, if they spend any significant amount of time hating on others in order to feel better about them self they're clearly a garbage person faking actually being nice. Same goes for people who act nice but then talk about others while they're not in the room.
3. If they're genuinely bigoted in anyway that's also an indicator they're actually a hateful person on the inside.
4. Similar note to the first bit of #2, how strong their sense of common courtesy is; how one treats strangers is a clear window into who they really are.
5. A bit similar to #4, going out of their way to help others despite no personal benefit being at stake.

Bonuses that aren't guarantees but do sometimes indicate a good person:
BONUS: Does volunteer work of some sort or donates to charity. Not a guarantee but certainly doesn't hurt.
BONUS: Particularly religious but in a positive way, every Mormon I've known has been insanely nice. I've met a similar trend with devout Buddhists as well.
BONUS: Came from a poor background and worked their way up into wealth; this is usually a great character builder.
KyotosomoAug 21, 2019 5:31 PM
Aug 21, 2019 6:26 PM
Aug 2018
It takes one to know one, so i have no idea.
Aug 21, 2019 9:07 PM

Jan 2009
any lesser evil in a given evil situation is good already imo and more better if you can point out the least evil
Aug 21, 2019 9:21 PM

Mar 2013
Seeing how they treat others or by their behavior alone.

Also easy-to-talk to. People that tends to be aggresive or too stubborn with their opinions, or think they're always the right one ticks me off sometimes. Especially when they verbally attack the one he thought was wrong personally.
Aug 21, 2019 10:04 PM

Feb 2017
duh...who cares.

I try to behave the same with everyone which is acting nice without compromising with yourself and if i find someone doing something bad to others or to me then the outcome of what will i do depends on the severity of the 'bad' thing they did.

And what actually do you consider bad?

Aug 21, 2019 10:30 PM

Aug 2012
Orhunaa said:
Oh no, I can't resist the temptation of mentioning a certain 9-year-old-loving historical figure who many people consider as a paragon of virtue. Forgive me I'm too weak-willed.
Who is it? You didn't mention anyone. You're too weak-willed to even mention him.
Aug 21, 2019 11:43 PM

Oct 2017
Flevalt said:
Bunille said:

I wouldn't really like them if they're phobic of certain types of people

Not to step you on the foot, but being "phobic of certain types of people" is so unspecific that you'd include yourself simply by the phrase you started your own sentence with "I wouldn't really like them if...", since you are defining a type of person in that sentence that you have a phobia about.

You might want to specify that a bit more. Or not. But I at least can only guess what you mean by it.

Just because you don’t like someone doesn’t mean you’re phobic of them. It could just mean that you don’t really like them all that much.
And yeah, I’m talking about homophobic, transphobic, racist, and the like but couldn’t find a word to group them all together.
Just not liking people for doing things is more of a preference and doesn’t entirely block those types of people out from your life, which is clearly different, or else we’d all be phobic of others.
BunilleAug 21, 2019 11:46 PM
Aug 21, 2019 11:56 PM

Jun 2014
Anyone who is homophobic, transphobic, racist or etc is somebody who I typically just ignore.
Aug 22, 2019 12:25 AM

Mar 2019
I.t.t.: weak fools that actually believe that such a thing as "good" exists.

If all you weak, easily influenced moralists would have been born a century earlier you would have defended that you hate right now.

The man that cries the hardest that racism is bad because lives in an era where believing such improves his social standing would have cried the hardest to maintain it had he lived in an era where that would have improved his social standings. None of you weaklings care about "morality"; you care about but one thing: believing what you need to to improve your social reputation with other weaklings.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 22, 2019 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
not such thing as good and evil. either way, you can't really know what going on in someone's head, even if on the surface all seems proper.
Aug 22, 2019 4:31 AM

Oct 2015
Yarub said:
Orhunaa said:
Who is it? You didn't mention anyone. You're too weak-willed to even mention him.

Extra tip: They're the most significant religious figure of their respective religion.
Aug 22, 2019 7:21 AM

Aug 2012
Orhunaa said:
Yarub said:

Extra tip: They're the most significant religious figure of their respective religion.
Jesus? or perhaps, Buddha? No, that's not right. Maybe Yahweh?
Aug 22, 2019 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
Someone who is empathic, intelligent and rational.

I believe those are the most important traits. Empathy for the right motivation, intelligence as a tool to find good solutions, rationality to avoid the pitfalls, pick the correct solutions and to be able to act properly.

That's what you need to actually be a good person.

People like that are typically easy to recognise. They're rare too. I wouldn't claim to be one of them by any stretch of the imagination.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 22, 2019 3:26 PM

Jun 2019
Don't believe in good or bad/"evil" people as I've expressed in other threads on related topics. People are people, which is, in a word, animals. I don't really consider there to be either a person capable of embodying some vague concept as "good" or "bad" (or that these terms can even be sensibly defined) any more than I consider there to be "good" or "bad" dogs, cats, mice, anteaters, or lions. What the consensus/majority opinion thinks about what constitutes good behavior/right-think is different in every single locality in the world in every single time period and the most rudimentary overview of history reveals that immediately. It's also different on an individual, person-to-person basis. What everyone thinks of exactly what makes "good" or "bad" is going to differ slightly or hugely and even within that one person, it may differ depending on changing life experiences they undergo or their positive or negative prejudicial and biased attitude toward the other person or the family/class/age/sex/ethnicity/etc. they hail from.

So against that sea of uncertainty and chaos, how do you make sense of anything? All I care about and my only criteria for deciding how I will receive another person is how they treat me. That is all. I don't consider myself as a good person either (for aforementioned reasons) nor a bad one. Just a person. So how someone treats me is paramount. Anything else they do is something I may have an opinion of, but nothing that would cause me to break off our friendship and mutual understanding, if we have one, because I'm not a self-righteous moralizer who thinks one universal standard or hive mind of humanity has to be upheld for some vague indeterminable reason.
Aug 22, 2019 3:27 PM

Nov 2013
I don't think I confidently can.
People typically don't reveal things about themselves that they know are frowned upon in the environment they're in, so you can't tell what a lot of people are really like unless you're very close to them, which I often am not.
There are plenty of signs that they might be what I consider to be a "bad" person, but I make less assumptions about who I can consider to be a "good" person. Most don't fall nicely in these catagories anyway.

I can see you

Aug 22, 2019 3:31 PM

Mar 2018
Take them to a restaurant and see how they treat the staff there.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 22, 2019 7:02 PM

Jan 2018
Talks like a normal person or politely, respectful of others. There are people who I openly choose to avoid, because - read first sentence. In real life, I sometimes wanted to look meek so that a dude can come up to me and talk shit though this never happens (just my romance).
Aug 23, 2019 1:01 AM

Mar 2015
I think the following make you a good person:
1. Don't be a dick

That's about it, as long as you're not causing trouble for others or harming others then you're a good person, others count for animals too, anyone who mistreats animals are scum. You don't actively need to perform any positive deeds to be a good person, just don't perform any bad deeds, and if you do something negative then apologise and try to make up for it, being neutral is what everyone should aim to be, that way everyone can live their lives without worry and everything will be good.
Aug 26, 2019 6:47 AM

Oct 2010
when it's a volunteer mod and it doesn't ban people for no reason or exaggerate on how big their crime is or is brainwashed and completely clueless on whats happening and why its happening in the world
lots of music -
Aug 26, 2019 8:04 AM

Dec 2017
How would I know, people are way too different to find one common thing between them which differs between good and bad. I think only around 20%-15% of people are legit GOOD.
Aug 26, 2019 9:56 AM

Mar 2019
- Generally good people have high standards for themselves. They never think they are good enough and constantly look to improve.

- Don't spend much time looking for the bad in people but looking for the good. Even in those many consider bad.

- Lack malice or sadistic tendencies.

- Are less concerned about social approval than they are about doing the right thing.

- (related to 1 and 2) Good people are usually not very self righteous or try to use morality as a weapon against other people. They may actually believe they are selfish because of the high standards they give themselves.

- Tend to look at situations factually and don't rush to judge abnormal people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2019 10:08 AM

Mar 2019
People trying to emphasize how much they dislike racist and sexist people are just making a cop out. Guess what, everyone except for a tiny sliver of the population thinks racism is bad. You're not impressing anyone by showing off how not racist you are.

Come back to me when you've sworn off of eating meat. That's actually impressive moral reasoning. I'll give you a nice little certificate saying that if you were born 100 years ago, you would not have been racist. Until you do that, I have every reason to believe you would've been racist too if you were born in 1900.
Aug 26, 2019 10:39 AM

Oct 2018
Someone who doesn't lie and manipulate, someone who has honour,
morals and values.

Aug 26, 2019 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
A good person is: Someone who doesn't tell you what to do BUT always helps when you ask them.
Aug 26, 2019 6:54 PM

Dec 2015
To me, someone intolerable is someone who has no convictions, because such a person can neither teach you anything or learn anything from you, they can't accompany you anywhere and they can't bring you anywhere (if that makes sense, not sure how else to describe it). They can only waste your time. Another trait I cannot stand is double-standards, because that's a clear sign of mental weakness or immaturity.
That being said, what brings someone from tolerable to good in my eyes is the fairness of their convictions and morals.

I think your chart about the stages of mentality is very interesting although if I were to make one I wouldn't make it linear and I'd add a stage before paranoia called confusion and one after called acceptance. I also wouldn't describe the stages as "translucent" lol...

I think its fairly easy to judge a person accurately since from my experience everyone seems to throw their opinions at you the minute they get comfortable talking to you... I think it's also easy to see what a person is about by looking at their routines, which you can't help but notice when you get closer to them.
Annie_GooAug 26, 2019 6:58 PM

Club for Fighting Game lovers : https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77600
Aug 27, 2019 6:24 PM

Dec 2008
Starchaser said:
I just pay attention to how they treat others. Especially the ones they don't know, need to impress, and will most likely never see again (waiters, movie attendants, people online, people different from them, etc.)

I do this too, it's extremely revealing of one's character.

That being said, the older I get the less I care about 'good' or 'bad' people. None of us are absolute saints or sinners.
Aug 27, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2012
- The person likes cats.
- The person likes Serial Experiments Lain.
- The person likes rainy weather.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Aug 27, 2019 7:12 PM

Dec 2015
Flevalt said:
Annie_Goo said:

I think its fairly easy to judge a person accurately since from my experience everyone seems to throw their opinions at you the minute they get comfortable talking to you

So after the first signs of change in behavior (openness) towards you, your switch is flipped from seeing them as being unknown to fully transparent.

The minute someone gets comfortable talking to me, I'll still be busy figuring out how comfortable exactly they've gotten. Personalities are like hooker make-up. There is always another layer further below.
I think The best way to get people to open themselves more to you is to be a good listener.

Club for Fighting Game lovers : https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=77600
Aug 27, 2019 8:40 PM

Sep 2018
HOooman, someone call the psychology and philosophy professors!!! Tell them we got another set of Stages of Growth to put in the textbooks!! Right next to Ericsson!! Major breakthrough, brilliant, this is the new standard for measurement
Aug 29, 2019 8:00 AM
Jan 2019
I'll give a simple personal example. I have a quite noticeable stutter and it's often hard to understand me. Most people I meet brush me off,roll their eyes,cut me mid sentence,say "Come one,hurry up" etc. (not everyone knows that I try my damn best to speak slowly and coherently and that I can't control my stutter on will). A good person will listen to what I'm saying,maybe try to help me form a word in a polite way,but wait for me. My best friend is the first person to do that in years. She is that good person.
Aug 29, 2019 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
i would say my basic guidelines for a good person are having the drive and mindset to continually be moving forward and improving as a person and being able to see through deception. which manifests itself in a lot of ways, but that ties into just being able to think critically as well.

the way i see it, your mind is like a garden, and if you can't control negative thoughts and patterns or are unable to see through deception you are basically allowing bugs into your garden that will eat away at your plants. on the other hand, if you are the kind of person who is always pushing forward, and aim to basically achieve as enlightened of a state as possible, you are letting water and sunlight into your garden to make your plants grow and be healthy. i think good people tend to have a healthy mind-garden.

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 2 hours ago

10 by KittenCuddler »»
13 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 22 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
22 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

672 by MadanielFL »»
26 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

45 by Crystepsi »»
49 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by Crystepsi »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.