Forum Settings
Forums

Isekai-‘That same shit’/‘A plot with infinite potential that keeps giving’?

New
Aug 21, 2019 10:50 AM
Mar 2019
I actually hadn’t watched isekai shows that much and thus started an isekai marathon few days ago.Shield hero,Overlord,Devil is a part timer,log horizon-I kept going and going.Honestly,it surprised me.I wasn’t bored at all.Now the isekai theme is taking over and i’m already seeing people with ‘Same isekai shit’ mentality.What’s with this?
Now obviously there are ‘bad’ shows for every genre so why particularly this is getting so much hatred?’Same reincarnation stuff’ doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t enjoy this smh or..does it?(whispers)
Aug 21, 2019 10:54 AM

Feb 2019
Whenever I see "transported to game/another world" I immediately move on. There is zero creativity involved in constructing an isekai story, so much so that even I can do it.

Out of all the isekai I've seen (about 50 or so, I don't really add them to my list 'cause I drop most of them on epi1) only two were appealing to me.
Aug 21, 2019 10:58 AM
~Watching Anime

Oct 2018
If you're entertained it's a win. The genre doesn't matter; and a 'million of them' doesn't matter.

Enjoy.
Have suspicions, not faith.
Aug 21, 2019 11:01 AM
Mar 2019
ChiMur said:
If you're entertained it's a win. The genre doesn't matter; and a 'million of them' doesn't matter.

Enjoy.

But I thought most people would enjoy just like me:(
More like i don’t really understand why this is getting so much hatred
Aug 21, 2019 11:03 AM
~Watching Anime

Oct 2018
shukishuki said:
ChiMur said:

Enjoy.

Ah, I get it now.

The cool kids are tired of Isekai, and so it's bandwagon effect.

BTW, I am very much a fan of the genre still. There are a few bad ones though, fyi. (solar powered smartphones...)
cYmYrAug 21, 2019 11:07 AM
Aug 21, 2019 11:04 AM
Mar 2019
@C_Hjorth currently on season two and i’m loving it
Aug 21, 2019 11:08 AM

Sep 2018
The problem with Isekai is that it became very oversaturated in the market place after the success of SAO lead studios to pump out an obscene number of Isekais.

I still think Isekai can be quite good as long as the premise is interesting and the characters are good or, like KonoSuba, it uses it's Isekai story to poke fun at the genre.

I can't blame people for disliking it because we are literally getting anywhere between 3-5 Isekai a season, especially when most of them are considerably "below par"
BallisticRiotAug 21, 2019 11:14 AM
Blanks.
Aug 21, 2019 11:10 AM
Mar 2019
Pragyan1 said:
Whenever I see "transported to game/another world" I immediately move on. There is zero creativity involved in constructing an isekai story, so much so that even I can do it.

Out of all the isekai I've seen (about 50 or so, I don't really add them to my list 'cause I drop most of them on epi1) only two were appealing to me.

Maybe taste differs I guess but still I don’t think it’s not creative
Yes the story may have a shitty turn around and get ruined but imo every iskekai is creative right from the teleportation part where it can go to anywhere
It gives suspense,chills right from the start but yeah I have to say it’s really easy to ruin an isekai show
Literally in any episode it can have a breakdown to the point of never coming back
But again yeah taste differs
Aug 21, 2019 11:14 AM
Mar 2019
BallisticRiot said:
The problem with Isekai is that it became very oversaturated in the market place after the success of SAO lead studios to pump out an obscene number of Isekais.

I still think Isekai can be quite good as long as the premise is interesting and the characters are good or, like KonoSuba, it uses it's Isekai story to poke fun at the genre.

I can't blame people for disliking it because we are literally getting anywhere between 3-5 Isekai a season, especially one most of them are considerably "below par"

Yea it kind of blasted after the SAO success
Yup that’s the issue I guess we aren’t getting actual good iskeai s that much
Aug 21, 2019 11:15 AM

Jul 2017
Cause the ones you've listed are the proclaimed "unique" isekai's. Watch Isekai Smartphone, Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria, Isekai Cheat Magician etc. then you'll see the 'same isekai shit' you were looking for
Aug 21, 2019 11:15 AM
Mar 2019
ChiMur said:
shukishuki said:

Ah, I get it now.

The cool kids are tired of Isekai, and so it's bandwagon effect.

BTW, I am very much a fan of the genre still. There are a few bad ones though, fyi. (solar powered smartphones...)

“Cool kids are tired of isekai” XDD you nailed it!
Haven’t watched that;-;
I’m just watching the good ones then I guess XD
Aug 21, 2019 11:17 AM
Mar 2019
Short_Circut said:
Cause the ones you've listed are the proclaimed "unique" isekai's. Watch Isekai Smartphone, Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria, Isekai Cheat Magician etc. then you'll see the 'same isekai shit' you were looking for

;-;
Yeah I get it now
We’re not getting actual good iskeai s that much:(
Aug 21, 2019 11:19 AM

Nov 2011
Isekai has the potential to be a very diverse and worthwhile genre; it has already produced quite a few good shows. However, a lot of them seem to be falling into a type of lazy storytelling that doesn’t appeal to a large sect of the community.

Whether they actually are lazy is a different discussion I’m not especially desiring to get into, but that’s the perception, at least.
Aug 21, 2019 11:21 AM

Jul 2017
shukishuki said:
Short_Circut said:

;-;
Yeah I get it now

yea lol
the reason isekai gets a lot of shit is that the ratio between the "unique" shows and the repetitive ones is far too big, so while there are a few good ones in the bag like Devil is a Part Timer or Re:Zero, it gets covered by the plethora of repetitive/generic ones
Aug 21, 2019 11:23 AM

Jul 2017
The examples you mention in your original post are all fairly decent shows. Are you new to anime? I'm not sure if you are aware of the astonishing amount of derivative, low-effort shows that makes up the largest chunk of the isekai-themed anime library today. Stagnancy starts to wear you down at some point. We have four or five widely panned isekai shows airing in this season only; it's unclear if this means the death of the genre or if that number will keep growing no matter what. I decided to take some time off of seasonal anime for that sole reason.

shukishuki said:

"Waaah! Why can't everybody else just have the exact same taste as me?"
(Un)fortunately, not everyone can *just* enjoy brainless creatively bankrupt shows.
あなたは誰?
Aug 21, 2019 11:24 AM
Mar 2019
TripleSRank said:
Isekai has the potential to be a very diverse and worthwhile genre; it has already produced quite a few good shows. However, a lot of them seem to be falling into a type of lazy storytelling that doesn’t appeal to a large sect of the community.

Whether they actually are lazy is a different discussion I’m not especially desiring to get into, but that’s the perception, at least.

Yeah storytelling can actually fall off from any point and that’s an issue
Yea I also believe isekai theme has that potential to be anything and go anywhere
Aug 21, 2019 11:27 AM

Nov 2017
I always love seeing Isekai anime, even with ones that aren't particularly unique! It's a formula that pleases me; like how I never get tired of harems filled with cute girls.

Also, both the Smartphone and Death March isekai personally came across as 10s to me.
Aug 21, 2019 11:33 AM

Mar 2012
My problem is not on the series itself but come from low production value. Ragnarok come as extreme since an idiot think it is genius idea to CRAM 9 VOLUME WORTH OF CONTENT INTO 12 EPISODE.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 21, 2019 11:34 AM

May 2009
shukishuki said:
Well it could be both, particularly to different people.

shukishuki said:
I actually hadn’t watched isekai shows that much and thus started an isekai marathon few days ago.Shield hero,Overlord,Devil is a part timer,log horizon-I kept going and going.Honestly,it surprised me.I wasn’t bored at all.Now the isekai theme is taking over and i’m already seeing people with ‘Same isekai shit’ mentality.What’s with this?
Now obviously there are ‘bad’ shows for every genre so why particularly this is getting so much hatred?’Same reincarnation stuff’ doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t enjoy this smh or..does it?(whispers)
I think the main reason it has gotten hate has to do with how it's become a recent fad, and some people who aren't interested in the subject of that fad are bound to resent it becoming popular.

Naturally, those people also aren't the ones who'd bother to actually watch the individual shows, so they'd miss out on what makes them each unique (which obviously isn't the isekai premise itself).

Pragyan1 said:
What do you mean "there's zero creativity"? Or do you simply mean that the premise is something you've seen done before and want something new?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 21, 2019 11:36 AM
Mar 2019
backdoornight said:
The examples you mention in your original post are all fairly decent shows. Are you new to anime? I'm not sure if you are aware of the astonishing amount of derivative, low-effort shows that makes up the largest chunk of the isekai-themed anime library today. Stagnancy starts to wear you down at some point. We have four or five widely panned isekai shows airing in this season only; it's unclear if this means the death of the genre or if that number will keep growing no matter what. I decided to take some time off of seasonal anime for that sole reason.

shukishuki said:

"Waaah! Why can't everybody else just have the exact same taste as me?"
(Un)fortunately, not everyone can *just* enjoy brainless creatively bankrupt shows.

I’m not new lol but i haven’t quite watched isekai that much:(
Maybe i should watch more isekai lol:v
Yeah bro I get it now that it’s getting overhyped and the actual quality is actually decreasing over quantity
(Un)fortunately?lmao;-;
I don’t want everyone to have same taste like me bro
I never said that
Obviously taste differs in any kind of choices
Not each and every isekai is ‘brainlessly creatively bankrupt shows’ right bro? I’m sure you’ll agree to that
Yes maybe i haven’t actually watched the bad isekai s(considering that I actually kind of start watching isekais few days ago)but that doesn’t necessarily mean the isekai genre is not worth watching or there aren’t any good isekais which is true for each and every genre out there
But obviously I respect everyone s taste
Aug 21, 2019 11:39 AM
Mar 2019
Short_Circut said:
shukishuki said:

;-;
Yeah I get it now

yea lol
the reason isekai gets a lot of shit is that the ratio between the "unique" shows and the repetitive ones is far too big, so while there are a few good ones in the bag like Devil is a Part Timer or Re:Zero, it gets covered by the plethora of repetitive/generic ones

Man studios are doing their stuff pretty well:v
Aug 21, 2019 11:40 AM
Mar 2019
Shamiyanah said:
I always love seeing Isekai anime, even with ones that aren't particularly unique! It's a formula that pleases me; like how I never get tired of harems filled with cute girls.

Also, both the Smartphone and Death March isekai personally came across as 10s to me.

So I gues you’re kind of a isekai theme lover I guess
I think I should watch the bad isekais now XD
Aug 21, 2019 11:47 AM

May 2009
shukishuki said:
Shamiyanah said:

Probably best not to think of "this show is good" or "this show is bad" before watching it. That way you'll actually be able to draw your own conclusion, independent of what other people say is good or bad or what "flaws" (or good aspects) other people point to.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 21, 2019 12:06 PM
~Watching Anime

Oct 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
shukishuki said:

Probably best not to think of "this show is good" or "this show is bad" before watching it. That way you'll actually be able to draw your own conclusion, independent of what other people say is good or bad or what "flaws" (or good aspects) other people point to.

Did someone actually say to watch what you want to watch, and then form your own opinion?
Yes to that.
Aug 21, 2019 12:35 PM
Mar 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
shukishuki said:
Well it could be both, particularly to different people.

shukishuki said:
I think the main reason it has gotten hate has to do with how it's become a recent fad, and some people who aren't interested in the subject of that fad are bound to resent it becoming popular.

Naturally, those people also aren't the ones who'd bother to actually watch the individual shows, so they'd miss out on what makes them each unique (which obviously isn't the isekai premise itself).

Pragyan1 said:
What do you mean "there's zero creativity"? Or do you simply mean that the premise is something you've seen done before and want something new?

Important point to bring thank you
Yea some people just misses out good ones and starts hating the whole genre:v
Aug 21, 2019 12:36 PM
Mar 2019
NeoAnkara said:
My problem is not on the series itself but come from low production value. Ragnarok come as extreme since an idiot think it is genius idea to CRAM 9 VOLUME WORTH OF CONTENT INTO 12 EPISODE.

Yeah i feel you:v
Bad adaptation costs in every genre and for isekai it’s even worse because it’s so easy to mess up in storytelling of isekai
Aug 21, 2019 12:40 PM

Jul 2013
Well for starters, your examples are generally considered to be good or decent by the community and only comes once in a while. If you look at all the isekai anime in this season alone, they're being bashed relentlessly by everyone. What people mean by wasted potential is that these authors are literally creating new worlds by their own rules. There's infinite possibilities and yet they use it to do the same shit over and over again.
Aug 21, 2019 12:43 PM
Mar 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
shukishuki said:

GlennMagusHarvey said:
shukishuki said:

Yeap true that
That’s actually happen for the newbon otakus XD
They easily go with the flow
I don’t blame them tho
They’ll learn over time
Aug 21, 2019 12:46 PM
Mar 2019
ChiMur said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Did someone actually say to watch what you want to watch, and then form your own opinion?
Yes to that.

Hai hai~
You may have different taste
May have different thoughts on a same thing
May have different way of reacting
So it’s better to just watch yourself and then decide how that felt like to yourself<3
Aug 21, 2019 12:51 PM
Mar 2019
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
Well for starters, your examples are generally considered to be good or decent by the community and only comes once in a while. If you look at all the isekai anime in this season alone, they're being bashed relentlessly by everyone. What people mean by wasted potential is that these authors are literally creating new worlds by their own rules. There's infinite possibilities and yet they use it to do the same shit over and over again.

Yeap true
But the thing is some ppl just don’t seem to agree that isekais actually have ‘infinte possibilities’ and surprising potentials
Aug 21, 2019 2:24 PM

Jul 2016
Eh the way I see it, it's probably both. Depends on who's making it, since I think it's got more to do with the intentions of the creators. Did they intend to create a new and interesting plot that puts a new twist on an old genre, or did they just make a cash-grab? Personally, most (if not all) new isekai's just feel like the latter. Occasionally the synopsis is weird enough to grab my attention (suplex the princess), but most of the time I just look past them without a second thought.
Aug 21, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2014
Infinite potential that is rarely ever utilized.
Aug 21, 2019 2:35 PM
Nov 2017
It's just bad. Not because it's isekai, it's just bad. I mean, you watch a good isekai so far, overlord is fine to me, I like hataraku maou sama a lot too. But, if you goes deep like isekai cheat magician, kenja no mago, and all of that sh*t, it's just bad.

First, it took zero creativity. It just copied one another. They're all the same. I don't really like shield hero, because for me, the premise and a first couple episode are good, but the rest is kinda like...it has no direction at all. Same with the other isekai anime. It's just MC got trapped in another world and got their own harem.

If you haven't watch konoshuba, I recommend watch it. It shows how real the isekai sh*t should be. It is isekai kind of thing, but what makes it funny is it makes fun of another isekai with the same problem and the same cliche story.
Aug 21, 2019 4:44 PM

Jan 2018
I like isekai, but they're not exactly wrong about how it could have been better in terms of writing. Maybe I don't know how they adapt from light novel or manga to anime but I am entertained still. I still hope they improve it more.

For example Darling in the franxx gave me isekai vibe,
so in the end I really enjoy isekai because I don't read manga or light novel.

Aug 21, 2019 4:48 PM

May 2018
I do enjoy some 2010s isekai like Re:Zero, Overlord and Slime. It all really depend on execution. My favorite isekai however are Juuni Kokuki and Digimon Adventure.
Aug 21, 2019 6:04 PM

Oct 2008
The problem is that for every good Isekai there is a bad one. I don't want half good and half bad, I want the majority to be good Isekai series.

Tate no Yuusha (good), Kenja no Mago (bad)

Slime Datta Ken (good), Death March (bad)

And this continues, on and on, so people get bored at one point.

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

160 by Saiunknown »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 40 minutes ago

8 by iThink »»
7 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

35 by SignsOfSuicide »»
11 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 15 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
11 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.