Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on why people rate/review while series is ONGOING..

New
Aug 21, 2019 5:44 AM
Dec 2013
Like 6 out of 24 episodes, 9/10 Best series of the year!! *Proceeds to write 500 word review*

Why and what..?

Just curious esp. @those ppl who do it ecksdee

ps. i have NO problem with it.. no offence to thse that do it..
oshiraAug 23, 2019 1:20 AM
Aug 21, 2019 5:49 AM
Dec 2013
Can't you have thoughts and feelings surrounding a ongoing series? I rate and follow some of my shows each week as well, but do not write reviews. It's in my self-interest. It doesn't concern you.
Aug 21, 2019 5:54 AM

Dec 2016
people always rush behind something new always and while its still enthralling they tend to make a big deal and say its the best humanity created but we know the truth ..... look back into that anime an year later and compare it with some legendary ones ....bing bing.... you got whatcha looking for
Fuck Fate Faith Flaw
Aug 21, 2019 5:56 AM

Jul 2019
strawberrylord said:
Like 6 out of 24 episodes, 9/10 Best series of the year!! *Proceeds to write 500 word review*

Why and what..?

These types of reviews can change after time as there are people who follow a show weekly and they sometimes want to express their feeling on a show. It's fine even if they had watched 1 episode at least and wanted to express their feelings on that show but it is good in couple of conditions which is that they must write that upto which point they had watched the show so that people can understand the review completely that upto which point the review is based on the show and the writer should update the review either while the series is ongoing i.e. sfter other episode/episodes or after completion of the series.
puneetsinghAug 21, 2019 6:06 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 21, 2019 5:59 AM

Apr 2017
I don't really see any problem with rating series while its ongoing. I don't do it because personally I find it way too much hassle to be worth it, but it's perfectly fair to rate series as it goes, changing rating depending on each episode.

As for reviews that's a bit more questionable matter. I think it's just so that those reviews are up fastest and will receive the most upvotes as a result. As long as it's kept updated I don't really see a problem otherwise. Again it looks like much hassle though. What I find to be a problem is when there is review done based or 2-3 episodes not kept updated at all until finish, or possibly even after show finishes. I don't think such reviews are fair or useful in any way and then it's just about keeping advantage over other reviewers which I think is bad.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Aug 21, 2019 7:39 AM

Jan 2018
The sooner you write, the more likes you get. Insert a 350 words or more essay. No opinion, but if you have the time to do it then sure it's good, probably.
Aug 21, 2019 7:54 AM

Feb 2019
I really don't see a problem with having an opinion on a show while it's ongoing. I don't do it for all the shows I'm watching weekly, but when I feel I've got a grasp on how I'm feeling about it, I rate it and I see nothing wrong with it. Since the first episode anyone can have an opinion about the show they're watching and it's perfectly reasonable to translate it to a score. Besides, for airing seasonals, the score is a thermometer of how people are feeling about the development of the series. If you're concerned with all those bad ratings for people who only watched 1 or 2 episodes ruining a show's score, they won't be accounted for once it ends airing. I honestly see no downside to preemptively rating a show while watching.
Aug 21, 2019 7:55 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's an easy way to get upvotes whilst putting in a minimal amount of effort in /shrug

Well whatever, they get filtered away as previews as soon as the anime finishes airing anyway and will never see the light of day again then as they are irrelevant at that point. So it's not a huge problem. Was worse back in the day when they stayed just as alive as the full reviews by MAL coding

I guess if you don't have any friends to frequently chat about currently airing shows with then it's at least away to get your thoughts out to people at least
Aug 21, 2019 7:57 AM

Sep 2018
You can predict the quality of a show to some extend after you saw 1 episode of it.
Aug 21, 2019 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
You can mostly tell the rating of a show even if it is not done almost always. Again, rating more often than not is useless in this website and in others. Enjoy it or don't.

That being said, I do not review stuff, but if at episode 5 I had rated something a 9, I will more than likely change the score if the series takes a bad dip.
Aug 21, 2019 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
I love it when people do that, just so I can watch them backtrack on every single thing they wrote, after their show crashes and burns.

It's pure comedy.

PS: Had a friend who named her cat Dracarys. You can imagine how she feels right now.
Absolute gold.
Aug 21, 2019 1:16 PM

Oct 2016
counter argument: long running shonen like One Piece. If you wanna wait another 20 years just to write a complete review, well...go for it.
Aug 21, 2019 1:19 PM
Sep 2018
Probably they just feel like writing something down before it goes downhill on them lol
Aug 21, 2019 1:34 PM
Dec 2018
It is mostly for the "helpful" +1 count. You can edit your post later on all you want but the +xx counter still stays. If it is a new show, - the first few ppl who rate it, be it a good or bad rating will stay on top/on that anime main page.

If you write a review later on when the show is completed the review will most likley get drowned on 40+ other ratings.

It a real flaw of this site but it's the same for years and also makes botting rather easy.

Edit: That is one of the reasons why I never even look at the "most helpful" reviews but instead use the most recent reviews(with a rating between 5-9) if I am unsure about a show. The "most helpful" is nigh always complete bs.
KelrazAug 21, 2019 1:50 PM
Aug 21, 2019 9:24 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Jackstyle said:
counter argument: long running shonen like One Piece. If you wanna wait another 20 years just to write a complete review, well...go for it.
Well naturally but that's a bit different. For long-runners it's fine to do that just because of their sheer size, but for 1-cour or 2-cour seasonals then not so much
Aug 22, 2019 11:17 AM

Jun 2019
I rate really long ongoing series if I feel like I've gotten the vibe of it. I don't write reviews for them though.

Aug 22, 2019 12:48 PM

Dec 2015
Probably because most anime fans have infectious worms in their brains.
Aug 22, 2019 1:01 PM

Apr 2016
I think it has its advantages in some ways.

1. Some people like to read reviews without spoilers. They're thinking about watching it and thus may not want to hear the ending. Some reviewers have a bad habit of spoiling, even when they claim to have none, so an equally ignorant reviewer is beneficial.

2. Why can't a reviewer have an opinion on an ongoing anime? Especially if an anime has 25+ episodes. They can just be reviewing in intervals.

3. Even if they see the ending, you'll still get people who review the anime poorly anyway. And there are some people who are capable of watching 5-6 episodes and getting a good feel of the show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2019 1:04 PM

May 2018
I guess it just because they can, and maybe they're caught up in the feeling and impression (and the heat) of the moment. I always rate from the first episode, and it's interesting to see if that rating changes, or stays the same as the season progresses.
Aug 22, 2019 1:33 PM

Aug 2019
SAO first season had a score around 8.75 when it had a couple episodes out. Look at the score now. Opinions changes, young pimp
Neppin’ ain’t easy, yo
Aug 23, 2019 12:11 AM

Aug 2017
What is ur problem with that? Everyone is doing what they want.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 23, 2019 12:13 AM

Apr 2013
I rate everything after 4 episodes, to show my first impression. After finishing the show I'll revise my score if necessary. Also there is of course One Piece which has been running for 20 years now and that's certainly enough time to give it a rating xD
Aug 23, 2019 12:25 AM

Jan 2009
because thats how the systemn works as they say do not hate the player but hate the game particularly the rules of the game that are exploited by the players
Aug 23, 2019 1:15 AM

Dec 2018
strawberrylord said:

Why and what..?

You're goddamn right, "why can't people have opinions on an ongoing show?" Yes they can, but not very wise to go for the "Best show of the year coz so far 6/24 eps are great and I've already read the manga". It's hilarious to see when people asserting so soon get turn off as for the execution or other aspects that completely ruin the show afterwards.

To me, there're 3 types I reckon that these users could be categorized in:
1. It's a lot easier to gain attention, for you post something very soon on a brand new show and so people would most likely get to see the review if they search the show up.
2. They just want to express what they think in early episodes (but still, I don't really agree with this writing review method)
3. "Best show of the year, I can tell"
. . .
Aug 23, 2019 4:35 AM

Feb 2010
People rate ongoing shows because it's the natural thing to do, to have an opinion of something you're watching.

People review shit for the clicks and because the system is set up in a way that rewards the earliest, the quickest reviews, as well as reviews with very high or low scores.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 23, 2019 4:47 AM
Apr 2017
Rating is early perfectly understandable. I do it only if I drop something and it was unimaginable garbage (otherwise I just wait until I finish an anime to rate it myself) but that's just me.
Reviewing it early is also perfectly understandable, attention whoring is very much a thing.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 23, 2019 6:47 AM

Aug 2010
i think if its a show like one piece and you are already 500 episodes in, you can rate it if you want....
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

87 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

45 by T3NLTD »»
11 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 9 hours ago

39 by traed »»
16 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

38 by Zalis »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 7 hours ago

25 by Otakupervert890 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.