Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 20, 2:53 AM
I keep hearing people say it’s so bad that it’s good about Tokyo ghoul re: 2nd season, pupa, and my sister my writer.. what does that mean?

Aug 20, 2:55 AM

it means that they actually find it good but are still half in denial so they say its bad too

Aug 20, 3:01 AM

I use that term when something is so fucking bad and dumb that all I can do is laugh at it, thus making it comedic or "good"

this generally happens when a bad show tries to take itself seriously but it's just so bad that the audience can't

examples besides the one you gave: mayoiga, another, divine gate

a-wise-man said:
It doesn't matter how many bishounens are in an anime if the plot is shit.

Aug 20, 3:04 AM

It means that is so bad that's funny and thus entertaining for all the wrong reasons kinda like movie The Room.

X s t a s y

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”
―Cheshire Cat

Aug 20, 3:07 AM
It's simply means: It's fun-bad show, thus entertaining. It isn't that deep, though.

Aug 20, 3:12 AM

Watch Garzey's Wing dubbed and you will understand.

Aug 20, 3:21 AM

Watch LotGH and you will understand

Aug 20, 3:37 AM
It's a show that is horrible in pretty much every way and yet generally *because* of that it is incredibly entertaining.

Look at arifureta: the characters are edgy fanservice garbage, the """plot""" skips all over the place, the story is predictable and boring, the music is unfathomably jarring, the pacing is the worst I've ever seen in any form of media and speaking of that, the CGI is by far and away the worst in any anime, it makes Berserk look like it was hand-drawn by comparison.

And yet it's such a dumpster fire, so horrid and nonsensical, that I find it to be one of the most entertaining shows of the entire season. It's not a good show by any stretch of the imagination, but witnessing how appalling it is, is a lot of fun.

Aug 20, 3:37 AM
Slumber

KIMG said:
It's simply means: It's fun-bad show, thus entertaining. It isn't that deep, though.
Pretty much this. If you want a more elaborate explanation, this is what you want.

Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.

Aug 20, 4:34 AM

Pyro said:
Watch Garzey's Wing dubbed and you will understand.

This. It just means that something is funny in how bad it is.

Aug 20, 4:49 AM

I would like to see someone mention an example of the opposite, something is so good, that it is bad.

Aug 20, 5:05 AM

For the "so bad it's good" to take effect, you have to be watching with other people. It doesn't work otherwise. Try grabbing a few friends and watch something like jason x together, you'll understand.
Ok I'm dumb I haven't done this since playfire was a thing so I do not know what to write in here.

Aug 20, 5:11 AM

Theo1899 said:
For the "so bad it's good" to take effect, you have to be watching with other people. It doesn't work otherwise. Try grabbing a few friends and watch something like jason x together, you'll understand.

Do you know why it needs friends to take effect? That seems really interesting.

Aug 20, 5:12 AM
Safeanew said:
Theo1899 said:

Yeah I don’t think watching it with friends will have any difference than watching it by yourself

Aug 20, 5:16 AM

Safeanew said:
Theo1899 said:

When I watch "so bad it's good" content alone I usually roll my eyes and cringe when something bad happens. With friends, we laugh at the absurdity whenever something stupid happens. I can't explain why I can enjoy obviously bad pieces of media with friends. It's human nature I guess.
Ok I'm dumb I haven't done this since playfire was a thing so I do not know what to write in here.

Aug 20, 5:17 AM
Theo1899 said:
Safeanew said:

When I watch "so bad it's good" content alone I usually roll my eyes and cringe when something bad happens. With friends, we laugh at the absurdity whenever something stupid happens. I can't explain why I can enjoy obviously bad pieces of media with friends. It's human nature I guess.
Oh ok, I know what you mean.

Longer reply longer reply.

Aug 20, 5:18 AM

Theo1899 said:

Can you dislike obviously good peices of media?

Aug 20, 5:19 AM
*sips coffee*

Just watch Cipher the Video and you'll know exactly what it means (and yes, it's only in English):

Aug 20, 5:20 AM

To me the anime Dokuro-chan is a great example of this. It's bad, but it's so bad that it transcends that word and becomes good.

Aug 20, 5:23 AM

Safeanew said:
Theo1899 said:

Can you dislike obviously good peices of media?

Depends on the mood and subjective criteria that differ between people. My favorite movie of all time is blade runner, an amazing film that I found incredibly boring the first time I saw it. I also can't stand Wes Anderson even though his films are well written, well acted and well shot.

Aug 20, 5:29 AM

Theo1899 said:
Depends on the mood and subjective criteria that differ between people. My favorite movie of all time is blade runner, an amazing film that I found incredibly boring the first time I saw it. I also can't stand Wes Anderson even though his films are well written, well acted and well shot.

Yeah I see what you mean, even if it is good quality, if it does not connect with oneself it does not work, but it can work on rewatch.

Aug 20, 5:29 AM

The idea of "so bad it's good" is an example of why I say that "good"-ness (or "quality" or whatever) depends on what purpose one hopes/expects a work to fulfill.

"So bad it's good" indicates a disconnect between the way one hoped/expected a show to be entertaining in one way, typically one that's associated with seriousness or high art or such, and for them, the work failed at that, but became entertaining in a different way -- typically through comedy, a sort of self-parody involving laughing at the show from a meta perspective, and generally seen as "stupid".

I don't much use "so bad it's good" myself though, partly because I don't think it's accurate to characterize a show's entertainment value in words like "good" and "bad", particularly when they're such an obvious contradiction in the wording of this phrase, and partly because I don't usually get these experiences -- I think I have a higher toleration for taking stuff seriously than the average anime viewer, and probably also a lower receptiveness to "laughing at" comedy.
Modified by GlennMagusHarvey, Aug 20, 5:34 AM

Aug 20, 5:35 AM

It's when in an anime or a "real" movie a character is crying and it's so over the top or its so unbelievable, That you just start laughing and it makes you enjoy the terrible acting.

For example Keanu Reeves is a fenomenal actor, but he can only play charaters like Neo or John Wick. When he is put in a "serious" role and needs to come across as emotional it comes across as bad acting. This can sometimes be very amusing or funny.

Which in turn makes it so bad that it's funny and that you still enjoyed it.

Aug 20, 5:44 AM

DanLikesAnimu said:
I keep hearing people say it’s so bad that it’s good about Tokyo ghoul re: 2nd season, pupa, and my sister my writer.. what does that mean?

That it's bad, but bad to the point where it becomes funny and can therefore be enjoyable.

Aug 20, 5:48 AM

DanLikesAnimu said:
Tokyo ghoul re:2 is unwatchable for me. I can't enjoy that super duper rushed season with bad execution.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.

Aug 20, 5:57 AM

puneetsingh said:
DanLikesAnimu said:
Tokyo ghoul re:2 is unwatchable for me. I can't enjoy that super duper rushed season with bad execution.

I went there with zero expectations since I didn't like the manga all that much and the previous seasons were mediocre garbage but I never expected it to be this crap. With that being said, scenes where the long distance low detail drawings were fighting in the foreground, bad transitions and out of nowhere plotlines that were not previously established were pretty amusing so I guess that's the so bad it's good part.

Aug 20, 6:02 AM

Theo1899 said:
puneetsingh said:

I went there with zero expectations since I didn't like the manga all that much and the previous seasons were mediocre garbage but I never expected it to be this crap. With that being said, scenes where the long distance low detail drawings were fighting in the foreground, bad transitions and out of nowhere plotlines that were not previously established were pretty amusing so I guess that's the so bad it's good part.
Yeah , we enjoy these types of parts. I just never thought like it for TG:re 2 as I was disappointed by it but now I think that I should enjoy Tg:re 2 because it's stupid that it become hilarious.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.

Aug 20, 6:16 AM

It becomes a sort of meta comedy where instead of laughing at the content of the show you laugh at the incompetence of the people behind it.

Aug 20, 6:25 AM

KIMG said:

This. I don't see how Tokyo Ghoul could be so bad it's good when it's just bad. Arifureta is so bad it's good though.

Aug 20, 6:27 AM

English dubbed hentai is the epitome of so bad it’s good
Neppin’ ain’t easy, yo

Aug 22, 11:55 AM

The other word for that is "90% of modern shows" no but really most shows can only be enjoyed ironiclly, no one means the quality of a series when they "so bad its good" they always speak about the enjoyment they got out of it.

Stuff like Conception or as i said 90% of modern anime can only be enjoyed ironiclly if you don't treat them that way you will completely loose every will to live.

Aug 25, 6:34 AM
I actually understand that LOL. Mostly those isekai anime with OP mc, *usually* bad storyline. Sometimes you just wanna relax and watch ppl get rekt...

Aug 25, 7:06 AM

It doesn't mean much since "so bad it's good" is a weak argument. If you think a show is so bad that it's good, then you probably fit in these three categories.

1- You just didn't get the point of the show. You took the show way more seriously than the show did and the comedic relief was actually intentional, but you convinced yourself that it wasn't intentional. And so you think you laughed because it's bad, but actually the show succeeded to make you laugh because that was completely intentional. Some horror shows contain comedy.

2- The show is just actually bad in every way possible and you just enjoy watching a failed anime or an unfinished show. These shows are quite famous because they have an amazingly low score. And I agree, they might be interesting to watch, but they aren't in any way good. Pupa is horrible while quite interesting to watch.

3- You're just in denial with your taste and you actually like watching your seasonal isekai show or whatever

Aug 25, 7:07 AM
It means for you to go watch it because it sucks, but it is entertaining.

Aug 25, 8:02 AM

Greyleaf said:
Just watch Cipher the Video and you'll know exactly what it means (and yes, it's only in English):

Whoa. What in the hell did I just watch?

Aug 25, 8:16 AM

024 said:
it means that they actually find it good but are still half in denial so they say its bad too

No.
What it means is that it's so much of a train wreck that it's impossible to look away.

It's like The Room. It's so poorly acted and directed that it becomes entertaining.

Watching mediocre shit is as boring as it gets. But watching something dreadful just to repeatedly make fun of it and its creators can be fun, in its own twisted way.
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.

Aug 25, 8:29 AM

It's like fast food, you know it's bad but you still go there to take a selfie with the two number 9, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, 2 number 45, one with cheese and a large soda.

Aug 25, 8:46 AM

Because it's so bad that it's actually entertaining, you don't get bored while watching but you know that everything that it's happening it's complete BS.

Like i rated Mahou Shoujo Site with a 7 not because the characters or the plot were good but because of the sheer stupidity of everything that was going on
It was bad but i didn't got bored with it, everything about it was retarded.

Aug 25, 10:07 AM
The only instance I would say that it's so bad that it's good is if I laughed a lot throughout the show/film.

And that indirectly means that I had some enjoyment out of watching it.

Regardless of it having jarring bad elements that were not intended to be satire in the first place.

It's a matter of personal sense of humour I guess.

Aug 25, 12:58 PM

it means it was so bad that:
they couldnt help but laugh the entire time which means its good
they couldnt help but discuss it for a period of time equal to the total run time which means its good

Aug 25, 3:12 PM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

It generally means that it does something so badly that it becomes something of a spectacle or at the very least funny.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Sep 1, 7:56 AM

Fairy Tail is one example. I enjoy like like I enjoy ironic jokes

Sep 4, 6:48 PM
It kinda goes like this: Just because a show is bad DOES'NT mean you can't enjoy it. There are shows that can be bad or mediocre but there are times where they can be funny and enjoyable.

Sep 4, 9:51 PM

I guess its because there are a lot of bad shit that people enjoy.
"Allow me to teach you something useful."

Sep 5, 2:06 AM

That's my opinion on "One Punch Man and Boku no hero" it's so bad, it's kind of good, or so ugly it's kind of cute.

Sep 5, 10:23 AM

I never understood cringe comedy. I don't think there's anything that comes to mind where I would think that it's so bad that it's good.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕

Sep 5, 4:37 PM

I denounce that concept anyway. if it's good, it's good, and there are different ways something can be good. I suppose a more accurate description would be chaotically good as opposed to intricately crafted good.

Sep 5, 11:05 PM
Meme Master

"So bad it's good" means it's terrible in a way that it becomes entertaining to you. Most people have made fun of and enjoyed things like this.

Dragonball Evolution (the live action movie), Petit Eva: Evangelion@School and Dark Cat are good examples.