Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 19, 9:58 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/trump-considering-buying-greenland

So someone told Trump as a joke that he should buy Greenland and now he's serious about it and Denmark which is a NATO member is pissed.

There was a 19th century USA scheme to take over Greenland. Combined with Alaska it would've allowed the USA to surround Canada in a pincer movement, which would induce eventual annexation. The flipside of the USA plan to surround Canada by annexing both Alaska and Greenland was the Canadian military plan (circa 1920s) to form alliances with Japan, Mexico, Cuba etc in order to launch attack on USA.

Aug 19, 10:03 PM

Can he even find Greenland on a map? He probably wants to turn it into a golf course.

Aug 19, 10:05 PM
lol waste of taxes im sure there will be lawsuits comiing if this happen
Modified by heg, Aug 19, 11:25 PM

Aug 19, 10:50 PM
Reactions to this:

“It has to be an April Fool’s joke. Totally out of season,” former Prime Minister, Lars Lokke Rasmussen, said on Twitter.

“If he is truly contemplating this, then this is final proof, that he has gone mad,” foreign affairs spokesman for the Danish People’s Party, Soren Espersen, told broadcaster DR.

“The thought of Denmark selling 50,000 citizens to the United States is completely ridiculous,” he said.

I am sure a majority in Greenland believes it is better to have a relation to Denmark than the United States, in the long term,” Aaja Chemnitz Larsen, Danish MP from Greenland’s second-largest party, Inuit Ataqatigiit (IA), told Reuters.

“My immediate thought is ‘No, thank you’,” she said.

Prime Minister, Mette Frederiksen, and Foreign Minister, Jeppe Kofod, were not available for comment but officials said they would respond later on Friday. The U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen was also not immediately available for comment.

“Oh dear lord. As someone who loves Greenland, has been there nine times to every corner and loves the people, this is a complete and total catastrophe,” former U.S. ambassador to Denmark, Rufus Gifford, said on Twitter.

Martin Lidegaard, senior lawmaker of the Danish Social Liberal Party and former foreign Minister Martin Lidegaard called the idea “a grotesque proposal” which had no basis in reality.

“We are talking about real people and you can’t just sell Greenland like an old colonial power,” he told Reuters.

“But what we can take seriously is that the U.S. stakes and interest in the Arctic is significantly on the rise and they want a much bigger influence,” he added.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/08/16/603675/Denmark-lawmakers-US-President-Donald-Trump-buying-Greenland

Aug 19, 11:01 PM

i don't think Denmark is in a financial crisis so desperate that they would sell there own civilians.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Aug 19, 11:01 PM
So yeah, big problem. Trump wants Greenland and Denmark is WTF.

This is gonna be fun. This is the guy who said in the Presidential debates he was prepared to nuke Europe.
Modified by fulohe1, Aug 19, 11:06 PM

Aug 20, 12:23 AM

can't get enough of trump antics.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 20, 12:58 AM

South Park said they couldn't do Trump as he is such a parody already. It's like we are in a real life SP episode. Don't people close to him tell him how retarded he sounds or does he have a bunch of yes men?

Aug 20, 2:55 AM

Fake news. He wants to buy Iceland, not Greenland.

Aug 20, 4:32 AM

SpamuraiSensei said:
Fake news. He wants to buy Iceland, not Greenland.
he should buy both. then I can fly in just like I would in hawaii. easy life.

Aug 20, 5:19 AM
Doom Mantra

Very high IQ play from Mr. Trump.

You'll all be feeling reeeeaaaalll stupid when it turns out that Greenland is actually a fantastic golf course.

EDIT: And honestly, it's about time someone taught those Canadians a lesson.

Aug 20, 5:39 AM

To be fair, someone should do something regarding Greenland, because they have the highest suicide rate in the world.

If Greenland could be further developed, with more opportunities there, then maybe less people there would commit suicide.

Aug 20, 8:01 AM

Why purchase when we can just annex. Denmark doesn't really have much in the way of power projection and I doubt the euros would would risk starting a war, let alone economic consequences that would be significant enough. Maybe it's time to start manifesting our destiny again.

It's a shame the Cheeto in chief had to be the one to push for such an idea, now no one will support it.

Aug 20, 12:19 PM

@Doug_Dugle or we could just let people live their lives and not try to take their shit lol

Aug 20, 12:21 PM

I've considered buying an island too. Never going to happen of course, but I can dream.

Aug 20, 12:37 PM

fulohe1 said:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/trump-considering-buying-greenland

So someone told Trump as a joke that he should buy Greenland and now he's serious about it and Denmark which is a NATO member is pissed.

There was a 19th century USA scheme to take over Greenland. Combined with Alaska it would've allowed the USA to surround Canada in a pincer movement, which would induce eventual annexation. The flipside of the USA plan to surround Canada by annexing both Alaska and Greenland was the Canadian military plan (circa 1920s) to form alliances with Japan, Mexico, Cuba etc in order to launch attack on USA.

Annexing Canada is inevitable. Eventually the USA will want a direct route to Alaska to combat the Chinese Communists.

Aug 20, 11:11 PM

Why buy it? Why not just take it? We're talking about the mighty america here. Launch an attack, capture Nuuk, send all civilians to copenhagen, end of story. What can the danes do? Send in the vikings?
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Aug 21, 12:36 AM

Catalano said:
Why buy it? Why not just take it? We're talking about the mighty america here. Launch an attack, capture Nuuk, send all civilians to copenhagen, end of story. What can the danes do? Send in the vikings?

I know you are not entirely serious but Denmark is a member of NATO, the US would be at war the the UK, France, Germany and the whole of Europe.

Even Trump wouldn't do that.

Aug 21, 1:12 AM

QPR said:
Catalano said:

I know you are not entirely serious but Denmark is a member of NATO, the US would be at war the the UK, France, Germany and the whole of Europe.

The man literally said he would "nuke europe" in his campaign.

Aug 21, 1:20 AM

Vorpality said:

What a retard, he probably doesn't even know Europe has plenty of nukes too.

Aug 21, 1:23 AM

QPR said:
Vorpality said:

Ngl, gonna laugh my ass off if WW3 is kicked off not by tensions in the Middle East, or the Korean Peninsula, but by a fat, orange manlet that doesn't understand you can't just "buy" a country.

Aug 21, 1:25 AM

QPR said:
Vorpality said:

I wouldn't know who to support lol because usa has a military base near my home city, in Boboc. Trump was put there just to make people angry.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Aug 21, 1:26 AM

traed said:
Can he even find Greenland on a map? He probably wants to turn it into a golf course.

I live about five minutes from one of his golf courses, and about fifteen minutes away from "Donald J. Trump State Park", both have had to remove their signs because they kept getting vandalized, the golf course eventually couldn't take it anymore and straight up closed. Apparently the employees literally just walked out.

Trump; creating jobs.

Aug 21, 2:11 AM

Apparently, Greenland holds tons of natural resources copper, iron zinc and... rare earths - essential for modern technology. https://www.ft.com/content/f418bb86-bdb2-11e9-89e2-41e555e96722

The offer itself is not that outlandish. Alaska and French Louisiana were aquired this way and Truman made the last offer for Greenland in 1946. The reason why this issue remerges is that China has become an active investor in Greenland for quite some time now. The thought of a NATO member providing access to strategic resources to one of the United States' main competitor must be unbearable for Trump. Its basically the 17+1 approach of China in Eastern Europe all over again.
https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/china-steps-up-its-mining-interests-in-greenland/

And don't forget: the owner of Greenland increases their territorial claims into the arctic. Another theatre of geopolitics - also important because of natural resources and military reasoning.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/07/sunday-review/who-owns-the-arctic.html

Aug 21, 2:27 AM

QPR said:
Catalano said:

Not that a U.S. attack on Greenland or any Danish territory is a realistic prospect within the foreseeable future assuming the current geopolitical situation around the world continues to resemble what it is today for a while still, but you're overestimating the honor of NATO or any theoretical defensive treaty organization. What exists on paper and how it plays out once a real war is impending are two totally different things. It's a U.S.-led alliance with the U.S. having the single largest hand in its formation, funding, and dictating its policy initiatives. Britain, Germany, and France are in the U.S. geopolitical orbit (Germany is still de facto occupied with American military bases, no matter how anyone spins/calls it). They don't have the political will and geopolitical independence to even maintain a real autonomous foreign policy, nevermind oppose the U.S. militarily.

Alliances only exist on paper and are often radically re-interpreted and twisted to mean anything or nothing at all the second the first bullets or missiles start flying. If NATO abided by its foundational purpose it wouldn't have been involved in several U.S.-led offensive wars if its charter statement is solely collective defense. It means whatever Washington wants it to mean and European governments are largely subordinate, at best opting out when there is too great domestic opposition to some adventure.

Aug 21, 2:45 AM

What if Russia decides to wade in or China finally decides it's a good time to collapse the dollar turning the US into a third world country? Then it would implode when the population start starving.

The US struggles in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Syria , Iraq etc Imagine what they'd be like against trained opposition?

It will never happen anyway, everyone would just cut off trade with them if they tried that. The US would be on their own against everyone.

Aug 22, 12:01 AM

QPR said:
What if Russia decides to wade in or China finally decides it's a good time to collapse the dollar turning the US into a third world country? Then it would implode when the population start starving.

The US struggles in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Syria , Iraq etc Imagine what they'd be like against trained opposition?

It will never happen anyway, everyone would just cut off trade with them if they tried that. The US would be on their own against everyone.

Coming from an American (and not a proud one) We're garbage on the ground. The only reason we have such a "powerful" military is naval/air superiority. If China decides to make a move, we're fucked. I have a feeling that if Trump does somehow manage to get back in next year, he will finally push someone too far and all of the "it will never happen", is going to happen.

Aug 22, 12:32 AM

QPR said:
South Park said they couldn't do Trump as he is such a parody already. It's like we are in a real life SP episode. Don't people close to him tell him how retarded he sounds or does he have a bunch of yes men?

considering that disagreeing with him get you fired what do you think he fills his administration with?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Aug 22, 12:42 AM

hazarddex said:

considering that disagreeing with him get you fired what do you think he fills his administration with?

It seems he can't even do that properly, the head position at the FAA among othershas been vacant for years. Good job there is no crisis in US aviation at the moment...

Firing people for disagreeing with him makes him a huge tool and also basically a dictator, that's why the whole world laughs at him because there's no one to tell him he looks like a fat manchild throwing a hissy fit all the time.

Aug 22, 3:50 AM

Scud said:
I've considered buying an island too. Never going to happen of course, but I can dream.

Just find a cheap one, we can share!

OT:
I think this is simply a power play. Elections are around the corner, and he wants to show US citizens their economy is growing, and it is all thanks to him. He just wants to spread the message that the US is still the "big dog". Chances of that actually happening are really close to 0.

Also, buying a country is a really sketchy thing to try to do, nowadays.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers...”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 22, 10:23 AM

Doesn't surprise me. Greenland has lots of potential oil reserves and native populations to subjugate, two things americans love the most.

Aug 22, 12:39 PM

Greendlands like 'whaaat? no way, b-baka!' but really they're thinking about it.

Aug 22, 7:19 PM

Hopefully they bring back homesteading like Alaska used to have and the wild west before that. I'd probably move there if they did.

Aug 23, 12:36 AM

Lost_Viking said:
Hopefully they bring back homesteading like Alaska used to have and the wild west before that. I'd probably move there if they did.

I don't think the laws for homesteading even apply anymore. You can't homestead. Everything is real estate property or government property

Aug 23, 8:27 AM
Former American Ambassador to Russia, Michael McFaul, confessed Thursday that not even he could figure out what happened to make the president want to get into a verbal war with Denmark.

“What is the president talking about?” asked MSNBC host Craig Melvin.

“I can’t analyze that. I honestly do not — there is no logic to what he says,” McFaul said in a panel discussion. “As you said at the top, he insults or allies, right when he’s about to meet with them and embraces Putin. And I want to be clear, if there were some outcome to this strategy that led to better outcomes for the American people, right — enhanced our security, enhanced our prosperity, I could applaud it. But there is no connection to these kinds of inane statements that he makes and advancing our national security interests.”

In fact, McFaul said that he believes Trump is doing the opposite and hurting American interest abroad.

“Remember, Denmark is a NATO ally. They went to war with us when we were attacked on September 11th,” McFaul continued. “They weren’t attacked. They went to Afghanistan with us. They lost more soldiers per capita; they lost more soldiers than any NATO nation. And they went to war again with us to fight ISIS in Syria. Why are we insulting them by this ridiculous offer?”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/i-cant-analyze-that-ex-ambassador-confesses-hes-unable-to-make-sense-of-trumps-denmark-and-russia-rants/

Trump made as ambassador to Denmark an actress that is so bad was parodied on Mystery Science Theater 3000 as revenge for not getting Greenland.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/carla-sands-us-denmark-relations-are-now-in-the-hands-of-a-conspiracy-loving-climate-denying-ex-actress?ref=home

Trump called the PM of Denmark nasty for not getting Greenland in a 35-minute rant about Jews being disloyal and him being the King of Isreal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-gives-freewheeling-rant-on-denmark-trade-war-jewish-voters-2019-8?r=US&IR=T

This whole thing is comedy gold.
Modified by fulohe1, Aug 23, 9:12 AM

Aug 25, 3:46 PM

We all know trump is a fucking idiot-this just confirms it.
Life Is Short But Intense.

Aug 26, 6:25 AM

As i see it, it would be extremely beneficial for the U.S. to adquire it, but i don't think Denmark would ever part with it.

Seygneur said:
Apparently, Greenland holds tons of natural resources copper, iron zinc and... rare earths - essential for modern technology. https://www.ft.com/content/f418bb86-bdb2-11e9-89e2-41e555e96722

The offer itself is not that outlandish. Alaska and French Louisiana were aquired this way and Truman made the last offer for Greenland in 1946. The reason why this issue remerges is that China has become an active investor in Greenland for quite some time now. The thought of a NATO member providing access to strategic resources to one of the United States' main competitor must be unbearable for Trump. Its basically the 17+1 approach of China in Eastern Europe all over again.
https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/china-steps-up-its-mining-interests-in-greenland/

And don't forget: the owner of Greenland increases their territorial claims into the arctic. Another theatre of geopolitics - also important because of natural resources and military reasoning.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/07/sunday-review/who-owns-the-arctic.html

Pretty much what @Seygneur said, although none of it matters if Denmark is not willing to part with it. Plus Greenlanders aren't exactly keen on becoming U.S. citizens.

I'd like to share a couple of videos on how global warming will likely make the artic much more important, and why global potencies have a growing interest in it.

Aug 26, 9:10 AM

Look at the bright side, many memes have been arising regarding this topic :o

Aug 30, 9:56 AM

Gonna stick a Trump Tower right in the middle of Greenland.