Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that start off very slow/bad, but later get better and better?

New
Aug 19, 2019 7:50 PM
Apr 2016
It's a good question I believe, I'm genuinely curious about the answers.

One Piece, Naruto, and Gintama start off slow, get better only after quite some episodes, though that's only expected considering their length. From the shorter ones, getting through Jojo part 1 is a pain, and Ashita no Joe is...pretty bad at first, and only later gets actually good.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 19, 2019 7:54 PM
Jan 2018
Imagine comparing slow to bad.
I really hate this mentality.
Aug 19, 2019 7:55 PM

Sep 2018
Steins;Gate 100%. Starts of being very slow and confusing as hell and then 24 episodes later you realize it's the best thing that you have ever watched.
Blanks.
Aug 19, 2019 7:55 PM
Apr 2016
TodAboT said:
I wasn't comparing them. Overall I'm talking about shows that started either BAD or SLOW but later got better.
Aug 19, 2019 8:02 PM

Jul 2017
I'd say Gankutsuou, it was interesting at first yes but pretty meh
Aug 19, 2019 8:03 PM
Jan 2018
2ego said:
TodAboT said:
I wasn't comparing them. Overall I'm talking about shows that started either BAD or SLOW but later got better.

Implying that slow is worse than normal or fast speed.
Aug 19, 2019 8:08 PM
Apr 2016
TodAboT said:
2ego said:

Implying that slow is worse than normal or fast speed.
It can be any way, as long as it's not that engaging at first, but later becomes good and engaging.
Aug 19, 2019 8:09 PM

Aug 2019
Naruto did not start off slow. Team 7 went to the land of waves like 5 episodes into the anime
NeptendoAug 19, 2019 8:13 PM
Neppin’ ain’t easy, yo
Aug 19, 2019 8:12 PM

Jun 2015
A very extreme example of that is Inuyasha. I wouldn't say it gets "better" over time, but it certainly gets faster. The first cour is extremely slow with plot progression, probably the slowest anime I've ever watched, and the second moves at breakneck speed. So much so that I'd say just as much happens in the first 167 episodes as in the final 26.

I think 70 or 80 episodes, equally divided into the two seasons, would've been ideal for the story. But of course they want to milk the shonen cow for as long as possible.
Aug 19, 2019 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama had a horrendous first episode. From there it kept getting better and better. Best shounen I have read with the best characters. Everyone is memorable and there are no training arcs, weird power ups, or intense monologues. Truly iconic.

It is also the shounen with the most appearances of the male sex organ. savage.
Aug 19, 2019 8:17 PM
May 2018
I wouldn't say Naruto started off slow. So much stuff happened right out the gate.
Aug 19, 2019 8:19 PM

Jan 2009
its safe to say any long running anime are like this even My Hero Academia (although that is seasonal cours airing though)

and ye the classic Steins;Gate is another one
Aug 19, 2019 8:23 PM

Jan 2015
2ego said:

One Piece, Naruto, and Gintama start off slow, get better only after quite some episodes, though that's only expected considering their length. From the shorter ones, getting through Jojo part 1 is a pain, and Ashita no Joe is...pretty bad at first, and only later gets actually good.

one piece *cough*

now on a serious note
well for me steins;gate ,Ashita no Joe,Sakurada Reset were good paced + average(5/10) anime from the start (since they were interesting i didn't drop them).i can see why some people might have dropped them (concept not interesting,genre,artwork)

but little busters took a while (2nd season to be precise)

Aug 19, 2019 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
I dropped donten ni warau after watching 6 or 7 episodes but when I decided to finish it (a year later), I realized that those "boring" episodes (or so I thought) were actually important
there's also mekakucity actors, it's still a mess but it gets better from episode 5
Aug 20, 2019 5:55 AM
Apr 2016
Aybid said:
I wouldn't say Naruto started off slow. So much stuff happened right out the gate.
Neptendo said:
Naruto did not start off slow. Team 7 went to the land of waves like 5 episodes into the anime
A lot of people find "land of waves" hard to finish, and way worse than chunin exams. I personally didn't have any struggles with it.
Aug 20, 2019 6:12 AM

May 2009
This has been my experience with battle school harem shows.

The early episodes are the character introductions. Because they're harem shows, we obviously have to have silly romantic rivalry antics going on, which involves the girls fawning over the male lead and and sniping at each other (usually figuratively, but sometimes literally), all played for comedy, and usually alongside fanservice. I haven't found an instance of this that I like. I tend to at best roll my eyes at this while muttering complaints online, or at worst just drop the show because it annoys me too much.

If I can make it past this, though, there's usually more action, and more stuff involving the characters cooperating with each other and helping each other and generally being more friendly to each other, while the plot becomes more serious, and actual drama can start to happen. I like these parts a lot more.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 20, 2019 6:27 AM
Sep 2018
Texhnolyze starts off pretty slow, (and is slow throughout) but totes-mcgoats worth it.
Aug 20, 2019 6:48 AM

Aug 2019
2ego said:
A lot of people find "land of waves" hard to finish, and way worse than chunin exams. I personally didn't have any struggles with it.
I started watching Naruto way before I hung around anime forums so that may very well be the general consensus. I have noticed that it’s never mentioned as one of people’s favorite arcs tho. It’s certainly not one of mine lol. But I did find it a lot easier to digest than the first 20 something episodes of some other long running battle shounen (one piece, khr, d.gray-man, etc.)
Neppin’ ain’t easy, yo
Aug 20, 2019 7:07 AM

Jan 2016
Haibane Renmei starts pretty slow, but then it gets more and more interesting.I am glad I resisted the first episodes.
Aug 20, 2019 7:17 AM

Mar 2015
I really disliked the start of Shinsekai Yori. Didn't help that I didn't like the main character at all. Was on the verge of dropping it but thank god I didn't it gets fantastic later on.
Aug 20, 2019 7:24 AM

Jun 2019
BallisticRiot said:
Steins;Gate 100%. Starts of being very slow and confusing as hell and then 24 episodes later you realize it's the best thing that you have ever watched.

Would have to agree with you here good sir, I remember thinking what's going on & why is this so popular at the start of Steins Gate. Then once it finished I was like, my life's over, nothing will beat that show, boo hoo. It took time for the viewer to settle into Steins Gate but it's worth it ^_^
Aug 20, 2019 7:38 AM

Sep 2017
I agree with Steins;Gate, Gintama and Haibane Renmei, their start is either slow or confusing, but they get reaaaally good after

(as an example, I advised a friend to watch Steins;Gate and she was SUPER confused about the first episodes, she wasn't that much into it though, but then she got to episodes 7-8 and she loved it)

To get back to the main subject : it doesn't have a "slow" start, it's more like a "difficult" one. I'm talking about 3-gatsu no Lion.
At first, I was skeptical. I didn't know what shogi was and, tbh, I thought it was kinda boring and I was asking myself "How can you have +40 episodes on a mindgame like that"
But I quickly got attached to the characters and, surprisingly, I liked learning more and more about shogi

If you keep watching this anime long enough and don't give up, you won't be disappointed because it's a truly hidden gem
Aug 20, 2019 7:46 AM

Sep 2017
2ego said:
Aybid said:
Neptendo said:

Most of the people I know consider land of the waves to be one of the good and iconic arcs(including me).
Aug 20, 2019 7:54 AM

May 2018
I was just thinking this recently when I was rewatching Made in Abyss - it only gets properly good/amazing after Nanachi comes into it, like in the last 5 episodes.
Aug 20, 2019 7:55 AM
Sep 2017
Literally no such thing. If a show's first 30 seconds are trash than the show is trash and nothing could possibly redeem it.

Also a lot of the people can't understand the difference between "slow" and "poorly paced." Yokohama Shopping Log is a show where absolutely nothing happens and it's great. By contrast, shows like K-on or Aria just suck, and the fact that they are also slow is inconsequential.
Aug 20, 2019 7:58 AM
Apr 2016
AstralBread said:
Literally no such thing. If a show's first 30 seconds are trash than the show is trash and nothing could possibly redeem it.

Also a lot of the people can't understand the difference between "slow" and "poorly paced." Yokohama Shopping Log is a show where absolutely nothing happens and it's great. By contrast, shows like K-on or Aria just suck, and the fact that they are also slow is inconsequential.
Looking at the stuff you've dropped, your post is beyond comical, it's straight up just hilarious. Shows do get better, and refuting that is impossible.
Aug 20, 2019 8:02 AM

Sep 2018
Well slow doesn't equal bad, its just a invalid argument to make.

But some shows that got better are:
- Clannad from shitty dating sim to a good family drama
- Fate/zero the last few episode were alot better than the rest
- Ansatsu Kyoushitsu first Season was meh and it got better in the 2nd one

At the end of the day most shows stay shit threwout, and i never saw a anime with a bad start turn great.
I saw many people calling Steins:Gate, the first part is pretty much equal or even better than the first part,how they find out about the time machine is pretty great and it builds up the Characters to give the 2nd part the emotional weight.

Slice of live is often slow but still includes great shows, a example would be 3-gatsu no lion it has one of the best first episodes in any anime ever.

-Mullerio-Aug 20, 2019 8:07 AM
Aug 20, 2019 8:32 AM

Mar 2016
For me, its Moshidora. after eps 8 or 9, everything is changed a lot and the tension is really tight that i was really wanted from drama genre. Just Awesome

Aug 20, 2019 8:45 AM
May 2018
2ego said:
Aybid said:
Neptendo said:

For me personally, the first 100 episodes of Naruto were amazing, mainly because a lot of the side characters got their moments unlike Shippuden.
Aug 20, 2019 8:53 AM

Jul 2019
2ego said:

Slow really doesn't mean bad as the quote for your thread is like Anime that start off Slow/bad but later get faster/better?
Instead of slow I think it should've been unnecessary slow like Anime that start off 'unnecessarily slow'/'bad' but later get 'paced according to the need'/'better' respectively? or Anime that start off Slow/bad but later get interesting/better?[/b] In the last sentence I only replaced better part with interserting part because we do like fast executed story but it doesn't qualify to call slow part: 'bad' necessarily.
puneetsinghAug 20, 2019 9:09 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 20, 2019 9:03 AM

May 2019
Steins;Gate is an anime that people either drop after 10 episodes and call it shit or watch until the end and consider it amazing, it takes its time to set things up and it all pays off in the second half. Gankutsuou is also slow at the start but it pays off
Aug 20, 2019 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
Every single one of my friends dropped Steins;Gate during the first few episodes. No exceptions.

A damn shame, if you ask me. Yes, it starts off slow, but when it actually gets rolling...
Aug 20, 2019 10:09 AM

Mar 2018
Lost Song started off kinda predictable but ended up being one of my faves of last year
Aug 20, 2019 10:11 AM
May 2019
Well Steins;Gate comes to mind, it starts slowly and gets better and better.
Aug 20, 2019 10:13 AM

Jan 2018
Transformers Micron Legend has a slow start but it really picks things up in the second half!
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Aug 20, 2019 10:41 AM

Nov 2015
I would put Steins;Gate on here, but it looks like everyone already beat me to it.

Gurren Lagann took me a while to get through. The first few episodes - I would go so far to even say the first 'half' - were a bit too slow for me. The action and plot didn't really pick up for me until later in the season.

Also as much as I am enjoying the Toaru franchise right now, the first season, Index, was so hard for me to get through. It is so slow in the beginning that I actually dropped it early on, not being able to pick it back up for over a year. I'm glad I finally did, though, as the later action and plot in the season gets better.
ISOQuorraAug 20, 2019 10:47 AM
Aug 20, 2019 10:55 AM

Aug 2010
Hajime no ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho pretty much only get better with each episode and arc

the first first arcs of naruto were kinda lame, but starting at zabuza its mostly an uphill journey. I do think they fked up during the final war arc though

one piece does get better as it goes on but also kinda doesnt do to just how much time gets wasted each episode. Sometimes one piece is clearly just wasting everyones time with like a whole episode of big mom singing.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Aug 20, 2019 11:08 AM
Apr 2016
ComboSmooth said:
Hajime no ippo and Yu Yu Hakusho pretty much only get better with each episode and arc

the first first arcs of naruto were kinda lame, but starting at zabuza its mostly an uphill journey. I do think they fked up during the final war arc though

one piece does get better as it goes on but also kinda doesnt do to just how much time gets wasted each episode. Sometimes one piece is clearly just wasting everyones time with like a whole episode of big mom singing.
Uhh, about the last one, but those moments were 100% canon, and not stretched? Like her last song for example, it was animated extremely well, aesthetics were great, it was just great. It was the only arc revolving around the disney-like theme, I think it was fine.
Aug 20, 2019 11:39 AM

Sep 2017
i wouldnt call this bad start, i think Attack on Titan was average in the beginning and later on (after read the manga too) things become interesting and amazing its even have a special place in my heart.
Aug 20, 2019 11:53 AM
Nov 2018
Shinsekai Yori is confusing before the first time skip, then gets amazing when we know more about the world
Clannad (including After Story) gets fantastic when it gets to After Story arc (episode 9 of C:AS), not to say it is bad
Aug 20, 2019 1:17 PM

Jun 2015
Alessa_Gillespie said:
@AnotherGuy you know what starts slow and finish slow too? Ranma 1/2! Inuyasha is OK compared to that.

what i consider slower but good is how hunter x hunter begins! it's like everything has a purpose... for later, unlike the show i pointed above.

Takahashi Rumiko (author of both) apparently likes to take her time with plot development. I didn't like that in Inuyasha, I think it got too boring at times, but I'm watching Maison Ikkoku (romance) now and I'm liking the slow development of the characters. It's rare to see a romance so long and which keeps the quality throughout (as opposed to shows like Kimi ni Todoke, which overstay their welcome).
Aug 20, 2019 1:41 PM

Jan 2017
School Rumble I almost dropped it. I am glad i didn't.
Aug 20, 2019 1:58 PM

Nov 2017
Kidou Senkan Nadesico for me. It wasn't bad, but it started off slow and I was like, "Okay, when is something going to happen?". But when it got going, it got going! If I can express it in smileys it would be like this...

:-/ :-l :-O :-) :-D
Aug 20, 2019 10:50 PM

Jul 2019
started bad? black clover.. i hated asta's character at the beginning because of his whole scream the last word of every sentence thing. now i really enjoy the show
Aug 21, 2019 12:55 AM

Jun 2019
Aybid said:
Yeah, the first episode has the entire Mizuki incident. It's anything BUT slow.

Aug 21, 2019 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think Hunter x Hunter gets truly interesting until the Chimera Ant arc, and Digimon Tamers goes from good to amazing once the D-reaper comes into the picture.
Aug 21, 2019 1:21 AM

Nov 2016
AstralBread said:

How does one love Yokohama but hate Aria? Seems strange to me
Aug 21, 2019 1:26 AM

Nov 2015
There should be a genre/tag for "slow start" titles.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2019 12:14 AM

Sep 2009
Lucky Star.
It gets better from Ep 5 onwards...
Sep 17, 2019 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
TodAboT said:

This 100%. And I hate even more how everyone is using Steins;Gate as an example, implying that its slow parts are somehow bad, instead of being vital to making post-episode 13 impactful.

What this thread should be called is “What shows had poor pacing in the beginning, but got really good later”.
I can think of many examples of the opposite, but not of this.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 seconds ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
7 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

38 by Acctra »»
7 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

15 by ST63LTH »»
9 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 4 hours ago

12 by NonAtmospheric »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

111 by logopolis »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.