Forum Settings
Forums

Which Anime's LAST Episode It to the "Next Level" For You?

New
Aug 19, 2019 4:43 PM

Sep 2018
As I was going through my personal anime list I was looking through some old shows and reminiscing to the times when I had watched them. It had me thinking about the anime that I thought had the "Perfect" (obviously subjective endings) and I was curious about what other people thought as well.

For me, some of the anime that had final episodes that completed elevated the show or series were: Steins;Gate, Owarimonogatari, and AnoHana. I, therefore, propose my question:

Which anime, despite how good you thought it was prior, had a final episode that elevated the show to a completely new level of "greatness?"

Excited to hear your thoughts and opinions!
BallisticRiotAug 19, 2019 4:59 PM
Blanks.
Aug 19, 2019 4:47 PM

Jan 2018
I have a weird one, the show wasn't just super great, but I enjoyed it. That being Oniichan dakedo Ai sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! Basically the last line about how the siblings are actually related cracked me totally up
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Aug 19, 2019 4:55 PM

Nov 2011
It is Owarimonogatari S2 instead for me. The first two chapters, Mayoi Hell and Hitagi Rendevous, are nothing to write about, many other chapters from say Owarimonogatari S1 and Monogatari S2 are far superiors. But what a climax Ougi Dark was, I actually hoped that they just ended the series there, I don't like Zoku Owarimonogatari.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 19, 2019 4:57 PM

Aug 2019
School days. If you haven't seen it go watch it.
Aug 19, 2019 4:58 PM
Aug 2015
The last episode of the Madoka anime (The ending of Rebellion was cool too)
Aug 19, 2019 5:00 PM

Sep 2018
Jim_Heart said:
It is Owarimonogatari S2 instead for me. The first two chapters, Mayoi Hell and Hitagi Rendevous, are nothing to write about, many other chapters from say Owarimonogatari S1 and Monogatari S2 are far superiors. But what a climax Ougi Dark was, I actually hoped that they just ended the series there, I don't like Zoku Owarimonogatari.

I meant Owarimonogatari, not Zoku. No idea why/how I typed the Zoku there LOL
BallisticRiotAug 19, 2019 5:09 PM
Blanks.
Aug 19, 2019 5:00 PM
Aug 2015
And the ending to K-On was a lot sadder than I had expected it would be
Aug 19, 2019 5:15 PM

Aug 2018
One Punch Man was already a great time throughout the show, but that final episode, hoo boyyy...

My eyes were not ready for that sheer animation greatness. It conveyed Lord Boros' power so well and had me thinking that he could've actually left a scratch on Saitama. And then when the fighting is over and Boros on the cusp of death, Saitama is left without any marks, truly solidifying his strength.

Definitely took the show up to the next level. Sad that S2 didn't live up to it...
Aug 19, 2019 5:19 PM

Mar 2015
Haibane Renmei
Happy Sugar Life
Aria the Origination
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 19, 2019 5:44 PM

Jul 2017
My all time favorite, Code Geass. Hands down.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Aug 19, 2019 5:49 PM

May 2018
CreativeNam3 said:

Yess, Code Geass ending was really good!
Aug 19, 2019 6:03 PM

Aug 2018
CreativeNam3 said:

I was going to bring up Code Geass as well. It's probably the most satisfying anime ending for me.
Aug 19, 2019 6:07 PM

May 2016
Gurren Lagann's final episode is fucking legendary. We knew to expect a badass spectacle, but what we got was above and beyond. And then we get the absolute glory that is the series' epilogue. Fucking phenomenal from start to finish. And the version of this episode seen in the 2nd movie can piss right off, the 2nd movie sucks donkey dick.

Now and Then, Here and There. Holy fuck. Literal perfection.

Same goes for Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, Steins;Gate, Gungrave, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, Hibike! Euphonium, and Shin Sekai Yori. Those final episodes are all 10/10. I know it, you know it, you're lying if you claim otherwise.

And finally, I'm gonna say it, because literally no one else will and I'm the weirdo, apparently: Fruits Basket 2001. Yes, I know it's different from the manga. So fucking what. It's still heartbreakingly beautiful and left me with a massive case of the warm and fuzzies. I loved it.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 19, 2019 6:09 PM
Mar 2016
Code Geass
Evangelion
FMAB (loved the ending + the last 14 episodes)
Aug 19, 2019 6:11 PM

Mar 2012
Shirobako is the very definition of journey with satisfying pay off.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 19, 2019 10:29 PM

Aug 2018
Jim_Heart said:

Technically the series ended in Owarimonogatari S2. Zoku Owarimonogatari is an afterstory meant to tie loose ends together. Which it does and manages to do in one of the most beautiful ways possible
Aug 19, 2019 10:31 PM
Sep 2018
One piece. Oh boy, you really should have seen it. Honestly, I feel bad for the people who dropped the show.
Aug 19, 2019 10:34 PM

May 2018
Code Geass r2 ending still the best ending.
Aug 19, 2019 10:38 PM

Sep 2016
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - My favorite ending makes it feel like everything is complete beautiful experience

Other Endings that stand out for me

Evangelion
Serial Experiments Lain
Aug 19, 2019 10:41 PM

May 2018
Let's be honest, Code Geass R2 had a perfect ending.

Hunter x Hunter (Not a series ending), but had a wonderful ending to a climactic arc in the Chimera Ant Arc.

Not too many more shows that I can think of having perfect endings.

Although underrated, I thought Parasyte ended fairly well too.
Aug 19, 2019 10:41 PM

Dec 2016
sakamichi no apollon - excellent choice of ending. the last episode of knb s3 was also very well directed, and helped the show go out with a bang.

KIMG said:
One piece. Oh boy, you really should have seen it. Honestly, I feel bad for the people who dropped the show.

once piece is still airing though - how could it have a final episode?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 19, 2019 10:46 PM

Oct 2017
Zegapain it was just perfection.
Also Aldnoah.Zero first season but since its only for the first season i don't think it counts.

KIMG said:

Nah we all know that end was awful just like Naruto.

Aug 19, 2019 11:11 PM
Sep 2018
@photophobic

Little do you know, I come from the future. I've already finished the series.

@NothingFound

no
Aug 19, 2019 11:24 PM
Jan 2014
-Code Geass.
-Gungrave.
-Cowboy Bebop
-FMA 2003.
-Shinsekai Yori.
-TTGL.
-
Aug 19, 2019 11:25 PM
Mar 2019
Anohana and code geass R2 most probably
Aug 19, 2019 11:29 PM

Jan 2009
Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill both have hyper energetic ending that is bittersweet though

Planet With also have an awesome ending a happy one
Aug 20, 2019 6:48 AM

Jun 2017
Madoka Magica
FMAB
Girls' Last Tour (well actually the ending of manga but still ending of anime is great)
Aug 20, 2019 6:56 AM

Jul 2019
KIMG said:
Johncena: the first airbender was better. Sad that many people can't see it but with the sacrifice of every other anime you will see what I m talking about. To be honest, the show was already #1 but It's ending just ended just fulfilled every desire you can expect. It was awesome.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 20, 2019 7:01 AM
Sep 2018
@puneetsingh

I'm not sure i'm aware of that anime. Was that anime made by you can't see me?
Aug 20, 2019 7:07 AM

Jul 2019
KIMG said:
@puneetsingh

I'm not sure i'm aware of that anime. Was that anime made by you can't see me?
Yeah, you can't see me is a powerful thing which demands sacrifice to see what you can't see but I thought as you can go to the future, you may make a copy version of yourself and make that copy to sacrifice watching all anime and let him see the real #1 anime and when that copy is done watching it, add him into yourself back.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 20, 2019 7:21 AM

Sep 2018
School days: subverted expectations in a believable way :)
Code:Geass: the ending was better than the show
Evangelion: insight into shinji is kinda funny
Texchnolyze: life is meaningless,depression
Aug 20, 2019 7:24 AM

May 2009
A lot of final episodes (or last two episodes in some cases) are just culminations of story arcs, and many of them do wrap things up pretty impressively -- among them are Noir, Plastic Memories, Absolute Duo, Cross Ange, Four Rhythm, and Beyond the Boundary.

Heavy Object had an entire final arc that felt like an excellent capstone on the rest of the series.

And a more subtle capstone was Strain's final episode, which finally explained the meaning of the ED.

But I think the only series that really blew me away with its ending has been Neon Genesis Evangelion, specifically the TV ending. I worried somewhat that the increasingly bizarre nature of the Angel fights couldn't be topped. What kind of visual spectacle would be able to serve as an appropriate finale to cap off that build-up?

And then it did. It went in a directions I couldn't have imagined. In a good way.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 20, 2019 7:33 AM

May 2018
Run with the Wind when Haiji crosses the finish line in the Hakone (the marathon relay running race) - you get a real sense of euphoria and completion for sure!
Aug 20, 2019 8:28 AM

Sep 2018
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Obviously code geass
The anime was awesome for me anyways...lelouch was an incredible character and i was fine with him going out as the emperor but man that ending just tool everything the series built on and made it 10 times better

I would have said Code Geass, as the 2nd season is one of my favorites all time, but anything that benefits Kururugi makes me annoyed >:(
Blanks.
Aug 20, 2019 8:57 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
People have already mentioned my most obvious choices like gurren lagann, code geass and opm season one, so instead I'll mention a recent one which really caught me of guard, being jojo part 5, I was expecting some twist and turns coming from diavolo, but instead, they ended the fight rather quickly and showed us a flashback, in the form of the sleeping slaves arc, which imo was an incredible ending for the series, especially on a thematic sense, concerning the cast's fight against fate.
Aug 21, 2019 11:56 AM

Dec 2018
Geshtinanna said:
Run with the Wind when Haiji crosses the finish line in the Hakone (the marathon relay running race) - you get a real sense of euphoria and completion for sure!

OMG THIS!!!

Gor me its Monster, Run with the Wind, Texhnolyze, Shinsekai Yori and even Time of Eve had a great ending.
Aug 21, 2019 12:10 PM
Jul 2019
I loved code geass and death note
and i love action of one punch man end
also I loved attack on titan 2nd season end
But the most episod i loved was for tokyo ghoul season1 end
Aug 21, 2019 12:20 PM

Jul 2016
The first season of Mob Psycho 100. No spoilers but it's that episode when the shows themes get well and truly enforced and it's done in the coolest way possible
Aug 21, 2019 1:50 PM

May 2018
CorkMars said:
Geshtinanna said:

OMG THIS!!!

Gor me its Monster, Run with the Wind, Texhnolyze, Shinsekai Yori and even Time of Eve had a great ending.

Haha, great choice of favourite anime, and you're SadMadoka's friend as well! It's only the second time I've made a friend through the forums, so it's nice to see someone on a similar wavelength. For anyone else reading this, Run with the Wind also has one of the best soundtracks EVER!
Aug 21, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 2016
It would be EoE, but that doesn't count precisely as an episode. Episode-wise speaking that would be the final episode of Dragon Ball GT. Not only the best final episode of any shounen, but one of the best final episodes in all of anime. Yeah, fight me.
Aug 21, 2019 4:49 PM
Feb 2017
BallisticRiot said:
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Obviously code geass
The anime was awesome for me anyways...lelouch was an incredible character and i was fine with him going out as the emperor but man that ending just tool everything the series built on and made it 10 times better

I would have said Code Geass, as the 2nd season is one of my favorites all time, but anything that benefits Kururugi makes me annoyed >:(

The ending did in fact the opposite.
Bittersweet ending, but it fits it perfectly.
Aug 21, 2019 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
I actually like a lot of final eps. Code Geass, Death Note, Your lie in April, Kobato, Tada Doesn't fall in Love, Run With the Wind, Yuri on Ice, Tsurune
Aug 21, 2019 5:28 PM

Jan 2018
Not anything like took it to next level but more like "alright it was worth it".

Happy Sugar Life
Mirai Nikki
Tokyo Ghoul season 1 (I didn't watch other season so this was like a next level mind reading the anime studio?)
Aug 21, 2019 5:29 PM
Feb 2016
Gungrave. The 2nd half was very dicey all around quality wise, but that amazing final episode made the entire show worth it to me
Aug 21, 2019 6:07 PM

Oct 2008
Chrono Crusade
Saint Seiya Lost Canvas
Code Geass
Angel Beats
Mirai Nikki
Aug 21, 2019 6:11 PM

Nov 2017
Hmm... I've seen many great endings, but relatively few I've felt have actually elevated the entire series to a new level. Most of the time they've just capped the awesome already present rather than bring in a completely new level of it. Actually a pretty hard question...

Well, Planetarian had an ending that turned a sweet post-apocalyptic sci-fi story with tons of details I loved into one of the very few series that have actually made me cry. It also took me until the last episode of Tatami Galaxy to finally 'get' the series, turning it from 'good' to 'great' in my eyes.
Aug 21, 2019 6:16 PM
Feb 2019
Its an cheap answer but still... Mob Psycho's season 2 ending was awesome. Something about kinda knowing where it was going to go but still being surprised and moved when I was watching it really elevated the show for me. It was so predictable and yet they had me worried and questioning how it would end.
Aug 21, 2019 6:55 PM

Aug 2010
Like everyone is saying, my favorite ending is Code Geass' one.

Shirobako and Toradora have very pleasant endings as well and the best thing in Cowboy Bebop is its final arc (The Real Folk Blues).
Aug 22, 2019 1:12 AM

May 2009
Like everyone said, Code Geass r2

Also Nodame Cantabile. What a finale if you're into romantic anime that has 3 seasons.
Aug 26, 2019 11:21 PM

Aug 2019
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. That final fight was just too good.

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

9 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

20 by shin0by »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Apr 23

22 by Atashi_Agatha »»
9 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

30 by Kenzolo-folk »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.