Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 19, 2019 9:22 AM

Dec 2018
I'm a non-manga reader at episode 7 and honestly, I don't understand the hype surrounding Vinland Saga. The art is mediocre, the soundtrack is mediocre, the direction for Thors' death was bad when it could have been so much more impactful, and the story doesn't make sense, it invites disbelief.

Why would Thorfinn still fight alongside Askeladd doing his bidding just for a chance of a duel rather than slit his throat in the middle of the night?

Because of honour? He has done so much more dishonourable things under Askeladd than avenge his father by slitting his killer's throat in the night.

Because he wants a fair fight? Didn't he witness Askeladd and his crew killing his father and realise these people don't give a rat's ass about a fair fight?

I seriously don't get the appeal of this anime at all.
ShanAsunaAug 19, 2019 10:03 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 19, 2019 10:12 AM
Apr 2019
The manga is put on the same levels as vagabond and Berserk for people that's why the was so hyped up. While the anime kind of frames Thorfinn desire to kill Askeladd in a fair deal as him trying to be honorable the manga framed it as more about pride. He's too prideful in himself as a warrior to kill Askeladd in any way but a fair duel it's not about morals really( at least in the manga)and that kind of warrior pride is criticized by Aseklelad and the narrative multiple times. That is what the series is really about it's criticizing the short sightedness of warrior values and pointless violence. Thorfinn's current way of thinking is ment to come off as native and not be praised,it being dumb to the reader is the point. The main story hasn't it really even started yet by the way. So far all the anime as adapted is Thorfinn's flashbacks( episodes 1-6 which are chapters 3-17 in the manga) and the first chapter( ep 7) which in the manga was only there to introduce Thorfinn and Askeladd's characters. The real story for the first arc wont even start till ep 9 and from that point on is the content the series really got praised for. Also in the manga Askeladd gives Thorfinn a duel everytime he completes a mission ( he didnt string him along for years for one duel like in the anime).
Lawren222Aug 19, 2019 10:18 AM
Aug 19, 2019 10:16 AM
Aug 2019
i agree..the scene where thor dead is not impactful at all..but i looking forward to war scene..
Aug 19, 2019 10:35 AM

May 2019
@Lawren222 Pretty much said it all, its a manga thats put on the level of Vagabond and Berserk which are considered a few of the best seinen manga both story wise and art wise and the story of Vinland Saga is yet to start
Aug 19, 2019 10:51 AM
Aug 2019
The hype, as of right now is mostly manga-readers...I believe. As a manga reader myself I am very hyped about Vinland. But, I know what’s going to happen. I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for my favorite moments to be animated. I believe all the manga readers feel the same and is most likely blinding us from the slower pace and drops in animation quality compared to other summer anime and KNY. Especially since they decided to adapt Thorfinn’s backstory first and then chapter 1. Though I believe the slower pace is better than just killing off Thors on the first episode and rushing everything. These are the slowest and for me, the least interesting parts of the manga. I know its cliche to say “ It gets better later on” but just like the title implies, it’s a saga, a journey. The story has barely set itself up, actually it hasn’t started yet. In short, if you have the patience to get through these early slow episodes and drops in animation, this is an anime you won’t regret watching.
Aug 19, 2019 11:04 AM

Nov 2017
Yep, most of the hype come from manga readers.
Aug 19, 2019 11:25 AM

Oct 2018
We still in the prologue boi
Aug 19, 2019 12:26 PM

Apr 2019
ShanAsuna said:
I'm a non-manga reader at episode 7 and honestly, I don't understand the hype surrounding Vinland Saga. The art is mediocre, the soundtrack is mediocre, the direction for Thors' death was bad when it could have been so much more impactful, and the story doesn't make sense, it invites disbelief.

Why would Thorfinn still fight alongside Askeladd doing his bidding just for a chance of a duel rather than slit his throat in the middle of the night?

Because of honour? He has done so much more dishonourable things under Askeladd than avenge his father by slitting his killer's throat in the night.

Because he wants a fair fight? Didn't he witness Askeladd and his crew killing his father and realise these people don't give a rat's ass about a fair fight?

i actually agree with this: "Because of honour? He has done so much more dishonourable things under Askeladd than avenge his father by slitting his killer's throat in the night.

Because he wants a fair fight? Didn't he witness Askeladd and his crew killing his father and realise these people don't give a rat's ass about a fair fight?"

it doesn't make any sense to serve Askeladd as his Soldier for the sake of achieving something in order to duel him because of being honorable, since in the process he is being dishonorable
its kinda hilarious to be honest, also that boat carrying was some real bullshit
that said everything else has been top notch, the art was great the music was on point in my opinion
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 19, 2019 2:11 PM

May 2015
Nim0174 said:
ShanAsuna said:

i actually agree with this: "Because of honour? He has done so much more dishonourable things under Askeladd than avenge his father by slitting his killer's throat in the night.

Because he wants a fair fight? Didn't he witness Askeladd and his crew killing his father and realise these people don't give a rat's ass about a fair fight?"

it doesn't make any sense to serve Askeladd as his Soldier for the sake of achieving something in order to duel him because of being honorable, since in the process he is being dishonorable
its kinda hilarious to be honest, also that boat carrying was some real bullshit
that said everything else has been top notch, the art was great the music was on point in my opinion

yes but the point is that thorfinn don't think that killing enemies during a war is dishonorable,for you is dishonorable for him no,he want to avenge his father in an honorable way to respect thors since he made a duel and he gets killed when he won,thorfinn thinks his father is the greatest warrior,and want to fight askeladd as a warrior face to face like his father and not as a pussy on his back,the irony is that by doing all this thorfinn became the epitome of what his father hated.
nanashi796Aug 19, 2019 2:20 PM
Aug 19, 2019 2:36 PM
Jun 2015
It's because of Askellad. The war in England. Thorffin is only a little piece in this prologue
Aug 19, 2019 2:37 PM

Jul 2007
Because it's an anime adaption of a popular long running manga.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 19, 2019 2:39 PM

Aug 2008
If you cannot appreciate this kind of anime in 2019 I don't know what to say to you...
Aug 19, 2019 2:40 PM

Dec 2018
Lawren222 said:
While the anime kind of frames Thorfinn desire to kill Askeladd in a fair deal as him trying to be honorable the manga framed it as more about pride. He's too prideful in himself as a warrior to kill Askeladd in any way but a fair duel it's not about morals really( at least in the manga)and that kind of warrior pride is criticized by Aseklelad and the narrative multiple times. That is what the series is really about it's criticizing the short sightedness of warrior values and pointless violence.

I think that's a real problem with this anime adaptation. It lacks the protagonist's monologue (out loud or silent) to explain his POV. I have no problem with protagonists making stupid decisions but I need to know why. For example, Lelouch in Code Geass had so much monologue explaining his duplicitous and sometimes contradictory behaviour. Fate/Zero spent so much time explaining the clash in ideals between Kiritsugu and Saber, it even came up with a whole backstory for Kiritsugu to justify his ideology. I think if the manga explained these ideological issues Thorfinn had, the anime should have adapted them, instead of wasting all that time on the slow starting episodes, which didn't really add anything to the story. It wasn't done well enough to encourage an emotional investment in Thors and his family, it also diverts attention to the pursuit of 'vinland' which I understand wouldn't even be adapted in the prologue. The anime really isn't doing a good job at story-telling.
Aug 19, 2019 3:14 PM

Jun 2014
Because people have weird, disturbing taste.

I'll never understand the appeal of seinen works.

Aug 19, 2019 4:15 PM
Jun 2015
because is one of the only manga that work well on the subject of revenge without glorifying it, as well as it explores themes such as surrender, lack of love in warriors, slavery (even will have a little theme about it in the next episode), the characters of vinland are very well built, some coming close to human development, and every storytelling is very well organized that helps in worldbuilding, in addition to great additional philosophies in the plot.

and I disagree with the direction be bad, even in the battle of Thors and when the arrows hit he has a great scene running that hardly a director could do so to give immersion that there would be his sacrifice, I like the art, it is polished and well-detailed, and the soundtrack is very well conducted during action scenes and even dramatic scenes.

about your questions:

because he wants to beat him in a fair duel, which was something Thors himself didn't have, killing him by slitting his throat in night, would escape the pattern of the character, he hate all that cowardly duel (and feature of one), thorfinn doesn't want to stoop to the same level as askeladd
GabisuAug 19, 2019 4:41 PM
Aug 19, 2019 5:03 PM
Jul 2019
Ozen106th said:
i agree..the scene where thor dead is not impactful at all..but i looking forward to war scene..
I like how you're talking down on vinland 7 episodes in but have demon slayer as a favorite when it's not even done. You really are a summer kid.
Aug 19, 2019 5:14 PM

Jan 2019
ShanAsuna said:
The art is mediocre

Subjective.
ShanAsuna said:
the soundtrack is mediocre

Subjective.
I really like the art and the soundtrack, don't force your "forced objectiveness" on me.
ShanAsuna said:
The direction for Thors' death was bad when it could have been so much more impactful, and the story doesn't make sense, it invites disbelief

Thors managed to find the best option. He saved the others including his son from slavery/death by duelling Askeladd, impressing him, and making a deal to spare the others for the cost of losing his own life. It was a selfless death, an honorable one, even if Askeladd tricked him.
I see that as rather impactful. Not enough for you, it seems?
ShanAsuna said:

Oh yes, a character has be 100% logical in shows. Definitely. Absolutely. No.
Thorfinn is a flawed character, the point is that he contradicts himself. That's the narrative here.
He wants to fight Askeladd honorably to honor his own father, even if becomes a savage as much as Askeladd is. Even if he is aware of his actions, he knows that there is no turning back and his only motive is the hatred that he has for Askeladd.
ElucidAug 19, 2019 5:22 PM
Aug 19, 2019 5:35 PM

Nov 2018
Nim0174 said:
ShanAsuna said:

When is he being dishonourable? do i have to remind you that raiding villages and murdering folk WAS NOT something dishonourable in viking culture? vikings raid, in their raids they pillage, collect slaves and murder people. In viking point of view its the weak english kings fault for not being able to protect his people.

His dad died because Askellad was a dishonourable coward, soo he dosent want to just kill Askellad, he wants to prove that he is better than Askellad. But that dosent mean Thorfinn likes doing it either, he realises that what he is doing is wrong, but he is too deep in the spiral of hatred to stop now, thats the whole point of this entire arc.
TougenAug 19, 2019 5:38 PM
Aug 19, 2019 5:54 PM

Jan 2019
This has gotten into “Yikes” territory
Aug 19, 2019 5:59 PM

Jan 2009
are you influenced by some of the sakuga fans community with this comment? lol because they also do not feel this anime since from a sakuga standpoint there is not much going on and there is less talented animators working on this show too i heard since they focus mainly on 3DCG animation on a lot of battles or war scenes

but for me i do not care i like it because its like fresh from the abundance of school settings and action-comedy anime for example so some serious shows once in a while is great to have and this is one of them
Aug 19, 2019 6:32 PM

Dec 2018
ugmon said:
are you influenced by some of the sakuga fans community with this comment? lol because they also do not feel this anime since from a sakuga standpoint there is not much going on and there is less talented animators working on this show too i heard since they focus mainly on 3DCG animation on a lot of battles or war scenes

but for me i do not care i like it because its like fresh from the abundance of school settings and action-comedy anime for example so some serious shows once in a while is great to have and this is one of them

Honestly, I had to Google sakuga. But yes, that constitutes part of my complaint about the poor animation quality and failure to accentuate important emotional plot points. I'm glad there are other seasoned anime viewers who feel the same about the mediocre animation quality. There are some comments saying art is subjective... Well, actually it's not entirely so. The difference in animation between OPM1 and OPM2, Magi 1 and Magi 2,are quite obvious and undeniable. You can't sell a child's crayon drawing for thousands of dollars by saying art is subjective because it's not entirely so. This is more so for animation when there are objective issues like cleanness of drawings, fluidity of action scenes, amount of details, etc. The same goes for soundtracks.

While some comments talk about the circumstances making Thors' death heroic, that's not the animation team's direction, that's the story which is written in the manga. I'm criticising the animation team's failure to emphasise this emotional moment when it's the perfect plot point to do so (yes, this includes the heroic circumstances) . It's like watching a football striker with the perfect opening who completely ruined his shot.The disappointment is real.

Also, I'm a huge fan of animes with serious themes,but they have to be done right. It can't be angsty and edgy for the sake of it. It can't try to be hyper-realistic but contain gaps in logic to drive the plot later on. For example, it can't have a protagonist that's not OK with slitting the throat of his father's killer in the night, but OK to perform sneak attacks on sleeping, unarmed villagers who would be raped, killed, or captured as slaves (even after having one's life saved by such villagers). It can't have Askeladdd who's obviously painted as a pragmatist who'd do anything to win, allowing Thorfinn to live and follow his troupe and develop to this level of prowess when the kid obviously wants him dead. So suddenly Askeladdd has got a sentimental side because we can't kill off the protagonist and he needs to be a pirate? Or at the very least, when characters are contradicting themselves, there should be monologues or some other mechanism explaining why they do what they do.
ShanAsunaAug 19, 2019 6:39 PM
Aug 19, 2019 6:40 PM

Jan 2009
@ShanAsuna

ye i can understand that animation is not just about moving drawings but also includes the storyboards and the direction and execution of animated scenes but ye like the sakuga community said there is less talented animators/staff working on this show anyway but they have a great production schedule so at least they have enough time to not make it more worse

you can check some of the top sakuga fans here on this list https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1153379718097334272
AnimeAjay and Bloodyredstar are the ones i remember mentioning they are not excited about Vinland Saga anime and you can talk to them too about it they reply to questions like this on twitter
Aug 19, 2019 6:46 PM

Mar 2018
You literally make no sense at all. You don't understand Thorfinn and Askeladds character, yet think you are qualified in giving criticism.

So why can't Thorfinn not be okay with killing Askeladd in his sleep? Can you explain?

Why can't Askeladd allow Thorfinn to live?

Because you wouldn't the same thing in their position?

Eh, to be expected considering all your BS in the KnY thread.

Also, the production values of Vinland Saga are clearly above mediocre, pls don't talk about objectivity.
EsquirtitAug 19, 2019 6:49 PM
poop
Aug 19, 2019 6:55 PM

Jan 2009
also i do not get the complain about Thors death? that episode is amazing imo great sakuga fight between him and Askeladd too and i feel emotional about his death too, maybe the manga readers that are complaining here wanted something more awesome but to me its great same with the recent episode 7 im beginning to like Askeladd more
Aug 19, 2019 6:57 PM

Mar 2018
@keragamming lol nah you give him too much credit, why would he come here to say we all have weird disturbing taste?
poop
Aug 19, 2019 6:59 PM
Apr 2019
It is just the "in" thing to do is hype this anime. There is nothing special about it whatsoever.
Aug 19, 2019 7:11 PM

Dec 2018
ugmon said:
also i do not get the complain about Thors death? that episode is amazing imo great sakuga fight between him and Askeladd too and i feel emotional about his death too, maybe the manga readers that are complaining here wanted something more awesome but to me its great same with the recent episode 7 im beginning to like Askeladd more

For me, I've been turning on the waterworks for animes as far as I could remember. I enjoy it when an anime gets me so emotionally invested and executes an emotional scene so well that I start to tear up. Unfortunately, Thors'death did nothing for me when I was anticipating it... I know it sounds ridiculous but I was almost shouting in my head "just make me cry goddammit"

I think it may have something to do with the unlikability of Thorfinn. He's too blood-thirsty for a six year old, feels no remorse (or perhaps just run from it by focusing on vengeance) for contributing to his father's death, and doesn't even spare a thought for his mother and sister after all this. It's a very hard character to sympathise with
ShanAsunaAug 19, 2019 7:16 PM
Aug 19, 2019 7:13 PM
Jul 2019
ugmon said:
naw it's pretty much the anime only guys complaining. Thors death was done very well and a lot of manga readers think that too. The anime is only going to get better also. We're barely in the first parts of the manga.
Aug 19, 2019 7:13 PM

Jan 2009
ShanAsuna said:
ugmon said:

For me, I've been turning on the waterworks for animes as far as I could remember. I enjoy it when an anime gets me so emotionally invested and executes an emotional scene so well that I start to tear up. Unfortunately, Thors'death did nothing for me when I was anticipating it... I know it sounds ridiculous but I was almost shouting in my head "just make me cry goddammit"

ye it sounds ridiculous because its one of the best episode so far but you do you thats your experience on it

KILLAJONITAS said:
ugmon said:
naw it's pretty much the anime only guys complaining. Thors death was done very well and a lot of manga readers think that too. The anime is only going to get better also. We're barely in the first parts of the manga.

thats great to hear that it will keep getting better
Aug 19, 2019 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
Esquirtit said:
@keragamming lol nah you give him too much credit, why would he come here to say we all have weird disturbing taste?

That is just how he is, he go on threads and voice his opinion and say how he can't understand how we enjoy violent anime or that he prefer older anime, but I can tell you one thing I have never seen him have a heated argument with anyone. Heck I have never seen him get upset ever.

Another thing you have to give him credit on is that he never call any anime that isn't his taste as a "bad anime" because unlike the trolls here on mal, he doesn't waste his time and watch anime he doesn't like, so there wont be much of a argument in the first place.

That is why I had to tell that user getting all heated over his comment that it is a total waste of time. I don't know how he is in the real world, but on mal he is a angel compare to most people here.

Aug 19, 2019 7:22 PM

Jan 2019
ShanAsuna said:
ugmon said:

Honestly, I had to Google sakuga. But yes, that constitutes part of my complaint about the poor animation quality and failure to accentuate important emotional plot points. I'm glad there are other seasoned anime viewers who feel the same about the mediocre animation quality. There are some comments saying art is subjective... Well, actually it's not entirely so. The difference in animation between OPM1 and OPM2, Magi 1 and Magi 2,are quite obvious and undeniable. You can't sell a child's crayon drawing for thousands of dollars by saying art is subjective because it's not entirely so. This is more so for animation when there are objective issues like cleanness of drawings, fluidity of action scenes, amount of details, etc. The same goes for soundtracks.

While some comments talk about the circumstances making Thors' death heroic, that's not the animation team's direction, that's the story which is written in the manga. I'm criticising the animation team's failure to emphasise this emotional moment when it's the perfect plot point to do so (yes, this includes the heroic circumstances) . It's like watching a football striker with the perfect opening who completely ruined his shot.The disappointment is real.

Also, I'm a huge fan of animes with serious themes,but they have to be done right. It can't be angsty and edgy for the sake of it. It can't try to be hyper-realistic but contain gaps in logic to drive the plot later on. For example, it can't have a protagonist that's not OK with slitting the throat of his father's killer in the night, but OK to perform sneak attacks on sleeping, unarmed villagers who would be raped, killed, or captured as slaves (even after having one's life saved by such villagers). It can't have Askeladdd who's obviously painted as a pragmatist who'd do anything to win, allowing Thorfinn to live and follow his troupe and develop to this level of prowess when the kid obviously wants him dead. So suddenly Askeladdd has got a sentimental side because we can't kill off the protagonist and he needs to be a pirate? Or at the very least, when characters are contradicting themselves, there should be monologues or some other mechanism explaining why they do what they do.

So in a nutshell, you favor art over story? I’m out of here then. You didn’t consider what I said about Thorfinns character at all. I’ve given up on you.
Aug 19, 2019 7:28 PM

Dec 2018
Elucid said:
ShanAsuna said:

So in a nutshell, you favor art over story? I’m out of here then. You didn’t consider what I said about Thorfinns character at all. I’ve given up on you.

The whole last paragraph you quoted was talking about the gaps in logic of the story. The second paragraph was talking about direction, that's actually a separate thing from art. But if strawmanning is the only way you know how to argue,there's no room for a real discussion anyway
Aug 19, 2019 8:15 PM

Aug 2017
elementex said:
It is just the "in" thing to do is hype this anime. There is nothing special about it whatsoever.

Oh yes an anime about vikings & the adventures in an 11th century Dane-controlled England as it goes to war with a generally historically accurate & in depth look into the lives and culture of the people living back then is nothing special.

Sure that makes total sense.

Also this thread has become incredibly toxic & I fear it may require reporting if it goes farther than it already is.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Aug 19, 2019 8:17 PM

Aug 2019
Wow, this thread escalated quickly.

It's been hyped because of the manga.

Although the animation has been less than stellar over the past couple of episodes, I'm going to stick with it because I know how good the source material is, and animation quality isn't the be all and end all.

The OST is reasonable, neither epic nor horrible. The ED is the best part of the soundtrack.

There's a lot of people trying to apply 2019-levels of western societal norms to a piece of entertainment which tries to accurately portray an 11th century Viking culture.

If you can't at least put yourselves in the shoes of those that you are watching, then perhaps this anime isn't for you.

xenosysAug 19, 2019 8:28 PM
Aug 19, 2019 9:02 PM
Jun 2019
Slimcoder said:
elementex said:

Oh yes an anime about vikings & the adventures in an 11th century Dane-controlled England as it goes to war with a generally historically accurate & in depth look into the lives and culture of the people living back then is nothing special.

Sure that makes total sense.

Also this thread has become incredibly toxic & I fear it may require reporting if it goes farther than it already is.

Trust him, man. Isekai Cheat Magician is a lot more special than Vinland Saga in his book.
Aug 20, 2019 12:44 AM

Apr 2019
Tougen said:
Nim0174 said:

When is he being dishonourable? do i have to remind you that raiding villages and murdering folk WAS NOT something dishonourable in viking culture? vikings raid, in their raids they pillage, collect slaves and murder people. In viking point of view its the weak english kings fault for not being able to protect his people.

His dad died because Askellad was a dishonourable coward, soo he dosent want to just kill Askellad, he wants to prove that he is better than Askellad. But that dosent mean Thorfinn likes doing it either, he realises that what he is doing is wrong, but he is too deep in the spiral of hatred to stop now, thats the whole point of this entire arc.

its not about viking culture
its dishonorable because he goes against what his dad valued
its dishonorable towards his father
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 20, 2019 1:04 AM

Jan 2019
Nim0174 said:
Tougen said:

That's the point of his character, he is blinded by hatred to kill Askeladd in a duel for the sake of "honor" blinds him for what he really is doing that his father detests. This is the point, the reason for all of this. He has to do savage things to get his resolve.
I love his narrative, and I know what happens to him later. His character development is splendid in my eyes,.
Aug 20, 2019 1:09 AM

Jan 2019
Also newbies here who haven't watched the show and have seen this thread: Watch it, it's not what this man is claiming it to be (from my perspective at least) and the main character is not your usual protagonist which is causing this whole confusion of his personality.
Aug 20, 2019 1:17 AM
Apr 2016
Somebody close this, please
Aug 20, 2019 1:18 AM
Apr 2016
This is the same thing you keep posting in the KnY forum
Aug 20, 2019 1:25 AM

Jun 2016
cuz it's an adaptation of a normie-tier manga
Aug 20, 2019 1:25 AM

Jan 2019
OnePunch18 said:
This is the same thing you keep posting in the KnY forum

Legit? Oh god that's sad.
Aug 20, 2019 2:12 AM

Mar 2018
@ShanAsuna Your "criticism" here is just as stupid as what you said about AoT in the KnY thread. Like just yo let you know

It can't try to be hyper-realistic but contain gaps in logic to drive the plot later on.
The action is delving too much into realism for my taste as well. Seriously imagine calling Vinland Saga hyper-realistic just to strengthen your point LOL

For example, it can't have a protagonist that's not OK with slitting the throat of his father's killer in the night, but OK to perform sneak attacks on sleeping, unarmed villagers who would be raped, killed, or captured as slaves (even after having one's life saved by such villagers).

It's almost as if Askeladd rewards him with duels, and that his desire is to kill him in a fair duel because his father was unable to? and thorfinn is clearly struggling with this, he tried to warn the villagers. either way it's almost as if humans can't have "contradicting" views on things, it's not like he's a child participating in a war, he's not filled with hatred and grief.

It can't have Askeladdd who's obviously painted as a pragmatist who'd do anything to win, allowing Thorfinn to live and follow his troupe and develop to this level of prowess when the kid obviously wants him dead. So suddenly Askeladdd has got a sentimental side because we can't kill off the protagonist and he needs to be a pirate?

If he was dead set on being pragmatic, he would've killed all of them after killing Thors. His crew wouldn't even care. He obviously has respect for Thors, which is why he believes Thorfinn can turn out to be a remarkable warrior and be worthy of avenging him. You entirely ignore that Thorfinn is actually helpful to his crew as well. And this "suddenly sentimental", what are you even saying? Is he human or some random ass demon?

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenAug 20, 2019 6:43 PM
poop
Aug 20, 2019 2:29 AM

Apr 2018
Vinland Saga is a very interesting and violent anime that is just beginning so I think we should all calm down and wait for the next episodes.

Aug 20, 2019 2:36 AM
Mar 2018
i feel you too. nothing too impactful has happened but i am still excited to watch just from the sheer hype from the manga readers. we are still in the beginning of the story so we just have to wait for now
Aug 20, 2019 2:58 AM

Apr 2019
welcum2savage said:
Nim0174 said:

vikings used to carry boats like that irl thats how they were designed. Its not bs at all u just dont know anything about the time period.
Also thorfinns mindset isnt portrayed as logical or honourable is it? Theyre showing hes prideful and his hypocrisy in doing horrible things like askeladd in the point. It even points it out later in the manga, about how he killed so many fathers, brothers and sons while wanting judtice for his own fathers death. You cant judge a story based on 7 episodes.

not longboats
longboats were not carried per hand xD these things weigh over 30tons fyi
so each and everyone of them is capable of carrying more while sprinting sideways then the world record deadlift
i answered this in episode 7 discussion so go there if you want to know why its bullshit
im not judging the entire story either, im judging the 7 episodes and im judging the fact that thorfinn is too stupid to get that he is going against his fathers wishes by trying to be honorable

Elucid said:
Nim0174 said:

That's the point of his character, he is blinded by hatred to kill Askeladd in a duel for the sake of "honor" blinds him for what he really is doing that his father detests. This is the point, the reason for all of this. He has to do savage things to get his resolve.
I love his narrative, and I know what happens to him later. His character development is splendid in my eyes,.

i completely agree
and again
im not judging the writing of his character in any way
im judging thorfinns stupidity because he is unable to get the irony behind his actions

You son of a .. turtle

Aug 20, 2019 4:15 AM
Jun 2015
Nim0174 said:
ShanAsuna said:

I can't even be asked to argue with you, just read the comments above because they make brilliant points and is articulated carefully and precisely
Aug 20, 2019 4:45 AM

Apr 2019
Archer123 said:
I can't even be asked to argue with you

i could say the same to you
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 20, 2019 4:49 AM

Feb 2019
Edocchi said:

Normie-tier? It's definitely not as populair like Dbz, Fma and Naruto.
Aug 20, 2019 4:54 AM

Jan 2019
NotFred said:
Edocchi said:

Normie-tier? It's definitely not as populair like Dbz, Fma and Naruto.

Hush, this guy uses the term "normie". Don't think his opinion is valid.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.